[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The huge myriad of languages available to learn has left me feeling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1
File: R_logo.svg.png (3 KB, 64x50) Image search: [Google]
R_logo.svg.png
3 KB, 64x50
The huge myriad of languages available to learn has left me feeling confused. Is there a simplified :: These Languages X are for Y.

Javascript is for front-end client and web development. R is for statistics. C++ is the back-end of most heavy memory programs. Python/GO are high-level languages that I don't know exactly what niche they are for. Assembly is a low-level program that would be good to know to understand the computer's logic, etc.

Is there any site, book, pdf, guide, etc that breaks it down? I am learning Java first then probably Python or GO, and C++.

**I just want to make sure I am not learning languages that overlap in function.
>>
most languages are general purpose. you can do pretty much the same in java, c#, python, go, c++ (except for the low level stuff), haskell, lisp etc
>>
I am doing CompE and EE, will be doing EE masters in Germany and finishing a ChemE degree there.

I want to remove my reliance on all cloud services. I want to create a server to place all my files and documents. I want to allow others to upload to it, but not to browse/dl them. Security is paramount.

I want to create a secure email that I control.

I'd also like a website to journalism/propaganda articles images and videos.

I have to emphasize I need security to be paramount. I am in posession of several docs that will be used in future Iraqi and Syrian war crimes trials against ISIS. I am interested in combatting their propaganda with our own pointed towards the youth of the Maghreb and Caucus and Turkey that travel to Syria to fight with these heretics.

But my first and major concern is the security of my colleagues on the front-line in the battlefields of Syria and Iraq, in Raqqa and Mosul and Aleppo. There has not been a satisfactory counter to Dabiq and Ameq Media. My group is dedicated to providing it and speaking the same religious language they use, but to present the opposite conclusion: "There is no compulsion in religion".

By the time I am in Germany, I hope to have the basics set and able to meet with the people in Turkey, but I am always scared that they will be assassinated, hence why I am the gatekeeper to everything we collect and I am the editor since I am currently in the US.

But I also have a general interest in programming and it's limitless possibilities.

Is there a website where I can post questions or hire Westerners to help? Indian and Chinese programmers I do not trust to do a thorough job while providing the keys,

Currently we communicate on end to end encrypted android apps, skype, smuggled USBs, and PGP messages.

I am trying to teach them the best opsec I know. I've told them to keep everything in a faraday cage, take the sim card and battery out of your phone. Bury it all in case your house is raided. Keep a regular phone
>>
>>55256542
Okay thank you.

So I am thinking R, Go and Python, C++, and Apache/SQL/Oracle are the main ones I need to learn alongside java (I have to learn it for my degree) and JavaScript.

I am thinking I can buy servers, build a cluster, or use Amazon's service (though I am weary about that), and placing them in a storage unit that is air conditioned where I will supplement the electricity with a generator so management does not kick me out.

I did post this yesterday, but received a few responses. I am trying to collect as much information as possible before we start publishing and the danger to my friends increases.

Combatting Salafit/Wahhabi ISIS propaganda is going to be difficult. Their video editing and magazine design is very good. And going against the Salafist Kingdoms in the Gulf is always a dangerous proposition.
>>
>>55256542
Sorry one more question: Is any more secure than the other? ISIS has a team developed to hacking. I am intending to put the most sensitive documents in cold storage disconnected from any network or intranet, and keeping multiple copies on SD cards and USB sticks paced in bank deposit boxes or buried.

Is it really down to the programmer not the language to develop a secure system? I will use Kali Linux for penetration testing, and maybe pay fr a third party audit.

One of the problems I see with just using Amazon rented servers are that it will be linked to my name and I do not want retribution against my family overseas.

I've always been a science/egineering guy with a strong talent in the Humanities. Logic is one of my best subjects; I hope it carries over to programming once I learn the syntax.
>>
>>55256642
>>55256727
well using one language over another wont increase security.
you don't need much programming for your project all need is something for the site backend / server + database right?

also R is pretty much useless you're a statistician, no one uses it
>>
>>55256573
Use nextcloud for storage.
Setup one of the countless of email servers yourself.
Secure software is really hard to do.
>>
>>55256416
You can do everything with every language. Yes, even desktop applications in php.
>>
>>55256887
Okay thanks. I thought R might help in making the database more efficient, but I don;t know what I;m talking about.

Basically I want a secure server that my people overseas can upload to. I want to be the only one on only one laptop to be able to access it. I want to remove all my files from Dropbox, Drive,OneDrive, SpiderOak, etc onto the server cluster. I'd also like to use it for crypto-mining to make full use out of it if that is a possibility.

I also want to host my own email and website to post our own propaganda against ISIS in the form of articles, pictures, audio clips, and videos. I am hoping to create a magazine like Dabiq but against the jihadi narrative. I may even be able to ask my relatives in media to help launch a television station, but I still want to be in charge of editing the videos. It all must be very secure.

I am basically the one who collects all the data, writes articles on theological and political topics. My friends still in the Hell ash-Sham has become are sending me material that will be used in trials, maybe given to Amnesty Int, and the UN. ISIS does hack and assassinate people, so I need it to be secure.

I am wiling to buy a server cluster and put it in a storage unit, but I don't know if renting one from a private company or from Amazon is an option or a violation of Opsec.
>>
>>55256975
What about desktop applications in SQL?
>>
>I'd also like to use it for crypto-mining to make full use out of it if that is a possibility.

It's impossible to make money on cryptocurrency by buying cloud space any more.

Honestly if you want to go full tin-foil hat watch as many DEF-CON videos as you can get your hands on. They'll help you learn the basics and point you towards real resources. Also how to be an alcoholic. You can skip those parts of the videos.
>>
Okay I appreciate the replies. That assures me that I do not need to spend 2 years learning programming language to produce a viable alternative to the jihadi narrative.

I will be learning Java this Semester. I have used Matlab. I know a bit of LUA. That is all the knowledge I have in regards to programming.

So for everything I want to do, should I just use GO? I read it was invented by the same guy that invented C++ and has good memory management.security for large projects.

Is Java and GO all I need?

I don' understand why there are so many languages if one can do all.

So to summarize; security and privacy first. I need a server others can only upload to. I will be the only one able to download the material and for security maybe a password on a usb key has to be inserted to the laptop to open the server, or something. I want a private email and website for us to use. I want a public site to post our e-zine and media.

I've made a separate thread >>55256918
To ask for help in upgrading my electronic equipment for this.

I also have to ask: is it safe (opsec) to rent a cluster from a company, or from Amazon? Or is it safer to build my own.

I am going to pay out of pocket so bang for buck, but I might ask my relatives to tell a certain group my intent in order to raise charity money and donations and possibly a share of Khums from our scholar there.
>>
>>55257076
Hah. I do enjoy a nice glass of Johnny Walker Black; I'm a bad Muslim-- too Westernized.
I do have Defcon video downloaded about destroying harddrives physically. I will look into their other videos. Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't thought of them at all.

I am interested in mining XMR and ETH. Those two seem to be to have great potential. I know mining BTC is useless now, but I think XMR and ETH can still be profitable.

I was just trying to think of a way to reduce how much I'll have to spend out of pocket every month. Is there another way I can use my server cluster to make money?
>>
>>55257041
You interface with SQL with another language, such as PHP.
>>
Do you guys recommend Debian on my laptop and servers?

Does it matter if I use the same OS on my laptop as the OS on my servers?

Is there something better than Debian for servers or laptop?
>>
>I don't understand why there are so many languages if one can do all.

The biggest difference is the abstraction level.
The closer to hardware you write the more performance you can get out of it since you target specifically it's specs but it's also more work and won't run on other hardware.

It's not that a clean division though, people use bindings between languages to get a speedboost where you need it while staying otherwise in a higher level language to work faster. R has for example C++ bindings wich again go into OpenCL to get parallel processing on the GPU.

Outside of that you has likewise differences in features between languages just like natural languages have differences which makes expressing an idea easier by choosing the right language. So they all have their place.
>>
>>55258635
But C is as low level as you can get* and it's pretty portable if the program wasn't written by a complete retard.

*Unless you want to do some assembler.
>>
>>55258635
That makes sense. Assembly to Visual Basic is the spectrum of closeness to most abstract,

I think I will learn Java, GO (instead of Python), C++.

What languages do I need for the email server and the database on the server so only I can access it but I can assign people with PGP passwords to upload to it.

Or well, I can have them PGP encrypt the message and email it on my email server, but the email server is probably very hard to secure, so how would they upload pictures or videos or PDFs securely?
>>
Additionally, what coding language is best for server mangement of a large database of files?

Apache Cassandra, Oracle, or MySQL?

So can somone help me summarize the coding languages I need so I can start downloading material and books.

Javascript for a front-end website for the e-zine/journalism.

GO for interface between server and front-end/laptop.

Apache, Oracle, SQL for database management?

Debian for both laptop and server cluster?

Does this look okay? A second concern I have not mentioned is the website for our news and magazine must look modern and spiffy. Will Javascript enough or do I need PHP alongside HTML5?

Again, what site can I ask coding questions and where can I hire programmers to help me.

Is memory management one of the primary concerns in securing your server/database? I'll use Kali Linux to use their tools to try to pentest my server cluster, but what do you guys think is the major flaw in most servers?

I wish it were easier to know where to start. I can learn the languages easily enough. Logic is my forte. But there are so many options and the differences are not clear.

I am mostly looking at popularity of each language then assuming the more popular it is, the better the language. Not a very good way to gauge the utility of each language.
>>
Also Amazon's EC2 dynamic capacity server hosting is something i really want to know about. It says it only uses the server capacity you need so you only pay for what is in use. That would save me money, as for now this is all out of pocket. I hope donations will help, and maybe I can get backing from a religious scholar who can provide funds from religious donations, since countering ISIS is a religious duty in my and lots of people's opinion.

Is there a version of EC2 I can use without attaching myself to Amazon>
>>
>>55259272
>>55259513
Last Questions before I stop bumping this post.

Also is there a way tor recreate Amazon EC2 to only use the server capacity that is needed thus saving money?

I am paying out of pocket. I hope when we begin publishing, we'll get donations and I will ask the leading scholar in my country to help fund this.
>>
>>55256887
>also R is pretty much useless you're a statistician
If you're using "statistician" very strictly, that's not really true. People use it in a lot of fields, whether or not they are truly a statistician. I think it would be better to say it's not really useful if you aren't interested in working with data.
>no one uses it
This part isn't really true, though. See http://jkunst.com/r/what-do-we-ask-in-stackoverflow/ for a tiny analysis.
>>
>>55260615
Would it be useful in determining server capacity and demand?
>>
>>55260894
If by determining you mean some sort of quick real-time monitoring: no.

But on the other hand, if for some reason you mean something like, "I have a server that's been running for awhile, I have a ton of data dumps, and I want to analyze those data dumps to tell a story / help me make decisions about how I can make something better": yes.

R isn't for building applications / servers. It's not even for prototyping those things. R is for analyzing data and building tools for analyzing data.
>>
>>55260992
>>55260894
I guess what I'm saying is (since I'm not sure it's been made clear yet), R is not a general purpose programming language.
>>
>>55260992
>>55261030
Awesome, thanks guys.

I am adding R to my list. Looking at the statistical overlay over a period of time to inform me what needs improving sounds perfect for someone who will be constantly updating their cluster as they receive money.
>>
Is Free/OpenBSD bette than Debian for my server cluster and secure laptop?

I forgot FreeBSD even existed until now. All I know about it is that it is a full OS where as Debian relies on third party packages. My initial thinking is less bloat with Debian therefore better for Servers,

And no one gave me a clear answer: is it wise to use the same OS on my laptop as the servers? I think I will dual boot Windows and Debian or buy a laptop for each.
>>
>>55259180
This is not true.

C has a specific model of computation that while correspondent to the architecture of computers in the 70's does not necessarily correspond to modern architectures, specifically since innovations in the 80's.

Forth is as low-level as C using the sort of lens you seem to be embracing, for instance.
>>
>>55256573
You're overthinking all of this and doing a piss poor job.
Avoid Apache & MySQL at all costs. Apache is inefficient and MySQL command sanitation is often overlooked meaning SQLi vulnerabilities EVERYWHERE.
Don't host your site with Amazon. Go with a Russian, Ukrainian, Icelandic or even a Netherlands hosting provider.
Do NOT use Android or iOS. Google spies on EVERYONE. Only do secure communications using free software on a device using either a MIPS32 or ARM processor. Encrypt all communications using GnuPGP. Avoid anything with a dependency on libpurple and make sure your drives are encrypted as well using LUKS+dm_crypt or TrueCrypt. Only administrate your box over Tor and make sure it's purchased using a prepaid Vanilla Visa bought with the cryptocurrency of your choosing, make sure to convert it from BTC to LTC back to BTC using shapeshift.io.
>>
>>55261673
The kernel on both your server and client machines need to be hardened with grsecurity.
Firejail commonly targeted software like the web browser, media players and mail clients or use KVM instances to isolate various environments from one another.
>>
>>55261532
Only use OpenBSD on routing devices, firewalls and VPN solutions to diversify the attack surface.
>>
>>55261532
OpenBSD is used by its devs on their laptops, might make for a good environment to learn C too.
>>
>>55261673
I know I am. I am in too deep over my head, but I have a goal and I am learning the basics to reach it. I am a novice. I've asked for a website where I could post questions or hire professional programmes.

I am paying for his out of pocket because I do not want my friends to die. Some people we know were assassinated in Turkey for writing against ISIS. I am trying to find a better way than my friends smuggling USB drives into Turkey and emailing them to me.

Ideally i want a server that will hold all my files encrypted and isolated from a separate "partition" holding the journalism/propaganda pieces which I hope I can give certain people access too, then the evidence of crimes against humanity I will put on encrypted flash drives and bury them and stash them in several places.

Ideally, I want to be able to give them an i2p or Tor address that requires a password that I will change every other day (I will whats app or use signal to text them it), that will only allow them to upload to the server.

If they are captured and reveal the password, I hope the server is secure enough and "partitioned" enough to not do any damage.

I know this is too advance for me but I am hoping in 2-4 years to be able to make this a reality as the civil war is not close to being over.

I want to print a newspaper and magazine to rivall ISIS'. But I need protection from the caliphate electronic army.

I have a goal and every moment I am not in class or the gym will be spent learning to do this. Privacy and Security are my goals.

Countering Salafist and Wahabbi propaganda brainwashing the youth is what I want to counter.
>>
>>55256642
And thank you for the great advice.

What phone OS is safe? I was thinking Android or Cyanognen would be okay so long as I used end to end ecrypted text apps like Whatsapp, Signal, Kik, etc
But there is freedompop\. and blackphone to considerl
>>
Okay I am going to sleep. I thank the non-shitposters for their help.

I decided to use Replicant on my phone with the appropriate apps.

For my secure laptop, I will use Whonix, Qubes, and Tails.

For my regular laptop, I will use Debian or Linux Mint and dal boot Windows 10

For the severs: I will use OpenBSD for the access points (firewall, vpn etc) along with its upgrades all on top of Debian or Security-Enhanced Linux, I am undecided and will need to learn much more to understand the difference,

Kali and Pentoo will be used to try to penetrate my server

I will try to rent either Icelandic or Russian server cluster than build my own. seems cheaper.

I'd like to find a Linx or SBD variant of Amazon's EC2, but I can't find one.

The last question I have is whether to use Debian or Security-Enhanced Linux? I feel as though if the feds use it, it must be decent. But government is always slow to embrace the modern new and better tech, So what do I do?

I am going to start learning Java first for class. Then GO. I think I will just rent servers overseas than building my own until I have a year or two's salary as an engineer to spend.
I'll also complete my Arduino and Raspberry pi setup. I believe this will acquaint me with the basics of C and C++.
HTML5 an PHP and Perl for the website.

Then I will learn R and Erlang.

I think this covers everything, but critiques are welcome. I am sure this list wil vary as I learn more. This is a 2-4 year project unless I outsource it. I'd rather not. I am weary of even renting servers in Russia, but they won't respond to American subpoenas or anything so that;s a boon.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.