[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>W10 doesn't come with XP Mode >Someone figured out
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: welpjdl.png (25 KB, 123x184) Image search: [Google]
welpjdl.png
25 KB, 123x184
>W10 doesn't come with XP Mode
>Someone figured out a workaround using Hyper-V
>But there's no way to use audio/video devices on the host machine

Is there a reason why Microsoft is hellbent on keeping me from playing my old games?
>>
File: Typing_botley_stadium.png (177 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Typing_botley_stadium.png
177 KB, 640x480
>>55253963
They say it doesn't make business sense, they can't make money on it.

They have a deep fear that the market for retro games will not cover the cost of the development and an even bigger fear that large customer bases will use such tools to revert to old infrastructures which they can't effectively get paid for. Kind of arguable as how much would they have made if people kept using windows 95 with office 95, because they sure as heck didn't charge enough to cover 20 years of operating costs on a single product sale, even if they charged that much no one would pay.

Real world business is sad, cause I know I would pay a few bucks to play my old stuff. Setup it up like Steam with low overhead and someone could make something if it becomes popular, and they get the licensing rights to even try it. Original artist licensing rights is another puzzle piece that make this a very complex and messy issue nobody wants to mess with.
>>
>>55253963

Wine and Linux are better for retro Windows games than Windows is.

My favorite feature is being able to emulate the desktop for games that use weird full screen resolutions like 1600x1200.
>>
>>55254441
>>55254485
Would you have any advice for getting the old Every Extend demo running? Fuck, I'd love to play that typing game again (and all the weirdo edutainment games from that era), but this thing in particular wouldn't even be subject to a Steam-style system since it's freeware. There's literally no incentive to support it, so it's up to users to find a way. Maybe I just have to find an old PC and spin it up.
>>
>>55254591
gog.com and abandonia.com has some old stuff in their lists, try it you might get lucky. That's the best I got, but it still doesn't have everything. Also if you do get a copy please support them so this market can grow.
>>
>>55253963
why aren't you rebuying the remastered version?
>>
>>55254843
The thing is, I've got a copy, it just won't run.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.