[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Buying new laptop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: sager.jpg (1023 KB, 2000x1715) Image search: [Google]
sager.jpg
1023 KB, 2000x1715
Buying a new laptop for college that I'll mainly use for studying but also for occasional gaming. Thinking about buying the SAGER NP8657-S. What are your guys thoughts on this? One of my concerns is the battery life, will it last me through the day if I'm not playing games on it?

My budget is 1K-1.5K if anyone wants to recommend something else. Thanks pals
>>
Stop wasting money

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B015PYYDMQ?camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B015PYYDMQ&linkCode=as2&linkId=BXETTFJUZLJG25RD&pc_redir=T1&redirect=true&tag=pcv01-20
>>
>>55240005
Don't buy a Dell

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F1Z78GM/ref=twister_B01G2C1YY0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
>>
>>55239562
>One of my concerns is the battery life, will it last me through the day if I'm not playing games on it?
No, because it will have a ridiculously powerful system and a tiny battery.

>What are your guys thoughts on this?
The same thoughts we have every time somebody goes to buy a gaming laptop; stop.

>if anyone wants to recommend something else.

Get a $800 desktop PC and a $600 laptop. Make sure the laptop has a dedicated GPU and a low-power CPU and supports Optimus/wtfever. Get a solid card (RX480/1070) in your desktop and a decent card (950M) in your laptop.

That way you have a laptop with non shit battery life that you can use as an actual laptop and not a MMMMMMMUH GAYMEN, and a base station to game on.

I knew a friend who had a $1200 laptop with a 4800HQ and a 980m. They ended up just plopping it down on a desk and constantly using it as a desktop because it was too bulky, heavy, huge, hot, and had shit battery life, and because thats where they spent most of their computing time anyway.
>>
>>55240037
>Recommending Acer instead of Dell

"Don't drink that piss! Instead here's a pile of shit."

You could have at least recommended something decent, man.
>>
>>55240037
>slower processor
>way slower gpu
>half battery time
>acer
>>
>>55240037
>>55240050
>>55240136
So Dell is okay but Acer is shit?

>>55240038
I'm new and am shit at finding laptops, do you have a link for something like you're describing? I already have a desktop that can play games well, I was just wanting to be able to play some games occasionally on my laptop if I wanted to.
>>
>>55239562

What kind of games do you play?

Consider buying a desktop and a laptop. I bought a Dell E6430 for $130 2 months
ago from eBay. Seriously, $130!!!

Businesses buy laptops in bulk on contract, and when their support contract
runs out, they tend to buy new laptops and liquidate the old stock.

This laptop isn't screaming fast or anything, but it has an i5-3340M CPU @
2.70GHz and I added 16GB of ram, an SSD, and replaced the DVD drive with
another HDD bay, Not bad for a little less than $250!

Don't buy into the Thinkpad Meme. Any business class laptop is just as good--
whether that be Dell, HP, Lenovo, whatever. Just make sure it's business class.

If you stuck to the lower end of your budget, the remaining $750 will get you a
gaming desktop that can play anything. Seriously consider it.

(I kind of want to also say that you should give up video games and probably
grow up. Games are for kids.)
>>
Looking for a laptop like an x220/230 that isnt a thinkpad

was about to buy a hp elitebook 2540p but was sold too quickly on CL

any ideas? small 12-13 inch screen
>>
>>55239562
your budget for a laptop is way off. That's a desktop budget. For a laptop to use for light gaming but mostly studying, you need to go between $400-$600. Anything beyond is a terrible ripoff.
>>
>>55241470
I already have a desktop, I just wanted my laptop to have the capability to play games (on lower settings, etc.).

The reason I linked a gaming laptop like that is because I kind of have the idea that gaming laptop = quality laptop. I want to get something that'll last a long time as well (at least 5 years).
>>
File: brexit.jpg (842 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
brexit.jpg
842 KB, 2048x1536
>>
>>55241477
E6330 no doubt
>>
Specific laptop rec's would be nice instead of saying what I should look for (I'm pretty shit at looking for laptops apparently)

Also, are there any notoriously bad/ good brands?
>>
>>55241502
> The reason I linked a gaming laptop like that is because I kind of have the
> idea that gaming laptop = quality laptop. I want to get something that'll
> last a long time as well (at least 5 years).

That's the wrong idea. Laptops that are durable are business-class laptops.
Producers care about making these laptops last, because they're generally
responsible for the repair costs, due to support contracts, and they want to
limit that cost. Laptops that are sold to consumers don't have the same design
goals, and there are no business-class gaming laptops.

Secondly: You are much better off buying 3 used business class laptops over the
course of the next 5 years than buying a laptop today and hoping it will last 5
years. You're considering spending $1.5k, but 3 laptops at $250 spread over the
next 5 years is literally half that, and a $250 used laptop bought in 3 years
will likely outperform the gaming laptop you buy today.

> I already have a desktop, I just wanted my laptop to have the capability to
> play games (on lower settings, etc.).

If you're not thinking about playing something where framerate / response time
is important, what about in-home streaming? If you have fast internet, this will work anywhere if you setup a VPN.
>>
>>55239562
http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/latitude-e7470-ultrabook/pd?3x_nav=PROC_BRAND%3DCORE_I5_6&3x_page=1&filterCollapsed=true
choose a configurable model and get the FHD display. Prosupport if you want a good warranty

>inb4 bu...but...muh gayems!!
are you studying or gayming?
>>
>>55240005
This one actually looks pretty good, thoughts others?
>>
>>55241535
Don't buy HP or Lenovo. Also, all Tobisha's I've owned have ended up with a loose power jack.

I'm currently on an MSI gaming laptop. It's pretty nice. Has a multi-colored programmable keyboard, too. Battery life is obviously atrocious.
>>
>>55239562
DELL XPS 15
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.