[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /g/ think of Debian? >> looking to switch to debian.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: debian_splash.png (25 KB, 331x350) Image search: [Google]
debian_splash.png
25 KB, 331x350
What does /g/ think of Debian?

>> looking to switch to debian.
>>
A typical linux distro.
No edgy, hipster or buzzword stuff.
Simply works.
Great if you are using it daily, boring if you want to learn or experimenting something.
>>
File: PqiRGsA.jpg (129 KB, 1080x608) Image search: [Google]
PqiRGsA.jpg
129 KB, 1080x608
>>
Fedora is better in every way

It has a more euphoric name, but debian has the more euphoric users

>step aside ubuntubabbies and arch autists
>i use debian
>that means i'm a mature adult and get REAL work done
>just watch me open gtk vim instead of your autismal hipster terminal vim and write hello world in C++, a real mature adult programming language
>my software is old, all ofi t. it's not because debian doesn't know how to into stability, it's because masculine and handsome men like me don't fix what aint broken.
>you're all kids
>(ignore my anime wallpaper please)
>debianfag out
>>
>>55238851
It's pretty good, I use it.
Just don't break it.
>>
Just did a fresh install and the ALSA mixer is fucked up out of the box.
>>
File: eddscellent.jpg (20 KB, 469x256) Image search: [Google]
eddscellent.jpg
20 KB, 469x256
>>55238966
>>
File: Loonix.png (997 KB, 1240x954) Image search: [Google]
Loonix.png
997 KB, 1240x954
>>55239151
>debian hast the more euphoric users
>>
>>55239151
lol that was actually pretty spot on
>>
>>55239751
DELETE THIS
>>
>>55239151
>in C++, a real mature adult programming language

>using C++ over C#
>using any language over C#
>implying there literally is anything that you can do with C++, you can't do with C# while writing 50% less code and having lots and lots of synthetic sugar
>>
>>55239751
>>55239846

>kek

Thanks hadn't that much of a laugh since a week
>>
>>55239151

I like fedora, but remember you can't even use AES 256bit encryption because its illegal to distribute outside the U.S. Also, RH has to abide by U.S. law, so if backdoors become the law, fedora will start shipping with backdoors.
>>
>>55239935
>you can't even use AES 256bit encryption because its illegal to distribute outside the U.S.

What? Why is aes256 illiegal outside US? and why should it even matter? If you want to encrypt your system/files/whatever you can just use external programs?
>>
>>55239978

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Forbidden_items?rd=ForbiddenItems#Cryptography

Export regulations forbid strong cryptography. Since Fedora is being distributed to the entire world, it cannot ship 256bit.
>>
>>55240047
>Export regulations forbid strong cryptography.

But why? It isn't like I could just simply get something else to encrypt my drive with aes256
>>
>>55240062

It's U.S. law, not Fedora's. And yes, in the modern day that law doesn't mean anything unofficially. Read this to get an idea of how the regulations came into place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Export_of_cryptography_from_the_United_States
>>
Yeah but no one wants to use a failed java fork.
>>
>>55239873
>windows
>implying mono is a thing
get out my /g/
>>
Stable is for servers and corporate desktops, Unstable is unstable as fuck and still has old packages, and Testing is nearly useless and still doesn't update nearly often enough, and all are pains in the ass for desktop use.

Debian for desktop: not even once.
>>
>>55240253
>needing to update packages for anything besides security more than once a year

Only the best versions of software makes it to stable, resulting in the perfect desktop, only with small exceptions like pulse audio.
>>
>>55239873
>lots and lots of synthetic sugar
GOTTA GET THAT WHITE LIGHTING BABY
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.