[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any good color e-readers out there? I've heard mixed things-
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: color-ereaders.jpg (28 KB, 400x290) Image search: [Google]
color-ereaders.jpg
28 KB, 400x290
Any good color e-readers out there? I've heard mixed things- is the technology really stalled?

Has anyone ever made an e-reader based on the Ben-Day principle?
>>
File: E-Ink-Color (2).png (340 KB, 660x488) Image search: [Google]
E-Ink-Color (2).png
340 KB, 660x488
>>55226298
For those of you who don't know, most color e-readers either use 5 different colors of e-ink in each pixel, which results in faded color and a fuzzy image, or with color filters controlled by a chip over a monochrome display that consists of black and white electronics.

My idea is to use 4 different layers under each screen, each with only only color electron- white.

A black layer is on the bottom, and it's physically colored black, and the pixels with white e-ink electronsare either positively charged or negatively charged- so the pixel is either "off" which is default black, or on which is white.

Above that is a physically yellow filter, with white eletronics, so the image is either yellow, or white.

Then Magenta over that, which is either magenta or white. Then cyan, which is either cyan or white.

So instead of the e-ink giving the color, the e-ink removes the color.
>>
>e-readers in current year
Wut are you on m8
>>
>>55226725
Wat?
>>
>>55226725
What did he mean by this?

The ben-day principle is over 100 years old, it's much older than e-readers.

I think you could get an extraordinarily clear picture and bright, saturatad colors with it, since you'r only using one ink.
>>
>>55226725
Until they can integrate e-ink into regular tablet (lcd/amoled) screens there's a place for e-readers
>>
I just read books on my Pixel C desu famalam.
>>
>>55226827
>Pixel C
But that's not an ereader, it's an LCD. You can't read it well in the bright sun or with bright natural light unless you turn up the brightness, it uses a lot of power, it weighs a lot more than an ereader, you can't view it from every angle well, and it's very expensive to produce.

Worst, it doesn't look like paper- it looks like a computer screen. It's like staring at a light bulb.

Until color e-ink gets its shit together paper is still the best way to look at art or comic books.
>>
>>55226810
I was surprised because I haven't seen an a reader since 08
>>
>>55226908

Yeah, and I mostly read my books on my comfy big ass chair in my house.

If I am outside I am hiking or some shit.
>>
>>55227005
You must not get out much.
>>
>>55227005
Yeah, the excitement over them kinda dwindled down, there's hardly any news or progress on that front. I guess people who want them and use them already have one, most people are fine with normal screens. Even though e-readers are better for reading, they only have one purpose.

If it's reasonably possible and affordable to actually house e-ink into a regular tablet screen, that'd be a real game changer. Until then (if progress and excitement remain the same), they're probably going to stay in their own niche.
>>
>>55226298
The zte warp elite is probably the best e-reader out there. Has a 3 amp hour battery and 720p screen all for $80 on amazon.
>>
>>55227019
No it's because I am not a poor degenerate you semen sipper, kys
>>
Does anyone know how to make a yellow screen with white e-ink visible over a black screen with white-e-ink? It should blend so the numbers for each white pixel on the yellow layer multiply with the corresponding pixel for the black layer so it darkens the picture.

It should be f(y,b) = yb where b is the black value and y is the yellow value.

>>55227070
Is it a ben-day screen?
>>
My tablet is much better for reading everywhere, except in direct sunlight.
>>
File: 1446023172417.jpg (61 KB, 720x462) Image search: [Google]
1446023172417.jpg
61 KB, 720x462
What's a good e-reader for manga?
>>
>>55229224
literally any ereader, but if you want one spoonfed to you, get an Aura HD
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.