[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Programming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5
So do any of you actually have a programming job, or do you just do it as a hobby?

How many of you even went to university and have a degree?
>>
>>55211570
>So do any of you actually have a programming job, or do you just do it as a hobby?
I've worked as a software developer for years, now I'm a PhD student (which also entails a lot of programming).

>How many of you even went to university and have a degree?
I have a masters and I'm currently doing a PhD, see above.
>>
>>55211570
I work for a startup in NYC as a scala engineer. I got a CS degree.

Honestly I don't understand why people think the degree is such a meme. Having a set of fundamentals that I built programming skills on top of is invaluable to what I do everyday.

I think the reason people think its cuck-tier is because you don't learn everything you need to be a successful programmer. That part is up to you. Being in school surrounded by other people also learning how to be software engineers is easily the best part of getting a degree. I learned way more from being in the environment than I did in the classes.
>>
>>55211570
>So do any of you actually have a programming job, or do you just do it as a hobby?
I am a SQA Engineer. I spend about 80% of my time maintaining a test harness written in .NET

Nope and nope.
>>
>>55211646
also worth noting that I went to a state school, so no, I'm not sucking fannie's clit
>>
>>55211651
Any context as to how you got your job, what you knew before getting it, and what do you actually consider important skills/knowledge that you use in your work currently?
>>
>>55211646
Kids that think CS is a meme are from /v/ and don't know how to integrate the derivative of a function so drop out and do something else
>>
>>55211570
I'm trying to get a degree in systems Analisys and Delevopment but i had to workwhile in college and i usually don't have time to study, i can pass the exams and shit but the clases never stick in my mind so i lose 90% of what i learn.

No i need to learn C# and .net framework but most sites are quite bad in explaining it.
>>
>>55211776
Order a used book from Amazon
>>
>>55211805
Any recommendation?

Also, consider that i'm pretty much new to this stuff.
>>
>>55211570
Unless you're in one of the top 5-10 universities of your country, a higher education isn't worth it and if someone from those universities applies to the same job as you, they are picking them over you regardless of grades.
>>
>>55211851
Learn Python the Hard Way,

alternatively I highly recommend going on hackerrank.com and going through the beginner stuff in Python. Great way to get your feet wet. I recommend it to anyone that comes to me with actual interest in doing this stuff.
>>
It will look nicer but nothing beats actual experience. Most places will at least give you a phone screen if you have the required skills / relevant projects listed on your resume.
>>
>>55211852

It will look nicer but most companies will give anyone with a relevant resume a phone screen.
>>
>>55211852
this is what NEET's believe
>>
>>55211570
Both.
>>
File: 1465959047223.gif (2 MB, 540x603) Image search: [Google]
1465959047223.gif
2 MB, 540x603
>>55211736
>Any context as to how you got your job
Pure luck man. 10 years ago I got fired from a job at a bank and hit all the job sites I could find. I answer an ad for a Technical Writer position, because I wanted to write in LaTeX (seriously), only to find out that it was posted by a staffing firm. The guy said I wouldn't be a fit as a T.W., but if I've ever heard of Quality Assurance. I responded with "Everyone is entitled to quality products", and we scheduled an interview. Another good-cop, bad-cop interview later and I was a QA Engineer. Mostly "manual testing", the industry shifted away from that and into automated techniques. I taught myself and continue to teach myself everything computer science related (started with Programming in PASCAL...) and continuously applied whatever I learned to my position. Several jobs later, I make 90K annually with no college debt and a decade of work experience for Fortune 50 companies.

>what you knew before getting it
I knew HTML (bad, old HTML) and what CLI was. I knew nothing else, almost literally.

>what do you actually consider important skills/knowledge that you use in your work currently?
As lame as it'll sound, office etiquette is crucial for success. Meaning, time management and general responsibility. Technologically, my field is starting to shift into Javascript. Focus on learning Javascript, as it's a weird language. The whole Nodejs ecosphere is dedicated to making it implicit and more like traditional OOP languages. It's going to be radically different in 5 years. Try to board the train now. If you want to find work now-now, learn C# or Java. Also, using the CLI has always helped build confidence with people of all types through the years. Very important as well.
>>
>>55211852
I'm from Norway, and we only have 6 universities in total (and only 4 of them offer computer science).

We have a bunch of colleges where you can get a computer engineer degree, though.
>>
>>55211852
Ahahahahaa. Stay mad NEET.
>>
Software Engineer here.
Degree in Computer and Electronic Engineering. Masters and all.
>>
C master race programmer here.
>>
>>55211989
thank you based anon, I really appreciate these
>>
>>55211989
>Several jobs later, I make 90K annually with no college debt and a decade of work experience for Fortune 50 companies.
90k after >10 years of XP? Seems low to me son.
>>
Depends where he is from.
>>
>>55211765
>integrate the derivative of a function
Anyone who thinks this is equal to the function is wrong.
>>
>>55212946
How so?
>>
>>55212946
>>55212965
>m-muh constant
>>
>>55212965
>>55212990
Given certain parameters you can find the constant.
>>
>>55212990
Technically correct is best correct.
>>
>>55213068
Technically, technically correct is the only correct, as correctness is a binary category.
>>
>>55213089
>>55213068
t. autists that write decimal numbers to 50 places
>>
>>55213114
I don't, I use continuos fractions because I'm not an engineering pleb.
>>
>>55213089
I'd hang out with you, anon :3
>>
>>55213136
#REKT
>>
>>55213154
>>>/v/
>>
>>55213162
If you don't like this thread, just turn 2π radians and walk away.
>>
>>55213170
Do you have a problem with me?
>>
I work in a machine learning position at a startup. Most places won't even look at your resume if you don't have at least a masters for any machine learning position.

So not only did I have to fall for the CS degree meme, I also had to fall for the grad school meme.
>>
>>55211570
All of the above. Was a hobby/career plan, now its a hobby/career, and I have a comp sci degree
>>
>>55211570
I got a BS in CompSci and am a successful technology speculator. I program mainly as a hobby so far. I'm hoping to turn it into a second profession in the near future.
>>
Aren't you supposed to start whipping pajeets at some point and stop being a monkeycoder
>>
I'm a college dropout and have been a full-time developer for years. Feelsgoodman
>>
>>55212946

Awww look at the little cutie.

Who's a cutie? Aww, yes you're a cutie.
>>
File: 1433713216515.jpg (14 KB, 240x232) Image search: [Google]
1433713216515.jpg
14 KB, 240x232
>>55215927
What the fuck?
>>
>>55213114
I've done that in my first report in physics lab at my uni, and the prof returned it to me because, quote: "If you believe those numbers mean anything, then clearly you know nothing about measurements".
And people say unis don't teach anything.
>>
Question, is there a way to reprogram not reset a device to perform in a different way is supposed to (hack the device)??? Lets put as an example a wifi router or some other shit like that, if so give me some advice. Sorry if my question sounds stupid but I'm actually interested in doing something like that
>>
I went for Video Game Development and Simulation Programming.

>tfw /g/ told me I'd be fucked
>stressed for years while in school that I'd be fucking screwed when it came time for a job

Now I'm working for a triple A studio making 70k, a year later and I still love the job, pumped to go into work tomorrow.

tl;dr do the opposite of what /g/ says
>>
>>55216322
Nice
>>
>>55212994
Not if all you have is the integrand.
>>
>>55211570
I'm a junior developer at a startup. I don't have a degree nor any experience relevant to the position. I feel lucky that I actually got hired.
>>
>55218155
So you work for free
>>
>>55211570
Why does that dog remind me of Maisie Williams?
>>
>>55211570
Software engineer in the defense/aerospace industry.

Bachelors, going back in for a Masters soon.
>>
>>55218974
The eyebrows
>>
>>55218155
What do you do?
>>
>>55219083
How long did it take you to graduate
>>
>>55216322
If you don't mind me asking, what company do you for and whats your job? What college did you go to?
>>
>>55213170
but 2pi radians=360°
you would be walking forward
>>
>>55219292
4.5 years. Luckily, there wasn't much debt and I knocked it out in a year.
>>
I have a bachelor in CE, working on my masters.
I have a programming job where I can work the amount of time I want so it doesn't interfere with my studies.
>>
File: 360-walk-away2.png (5 KB, 245x407) Image search: [Google]
360-walk-away2.png
5 KB, 245x407
>>55219332
>that's the joke
>>
File: frank-sinatra.jpg (52 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
frank-sinatra.jpg
52 KB, 306x306
>>55212169
I live in a state with a low cost of living, so 90K annually is based. If I had a degree, however, I'd probably be making over 100K instead. I'm not mad though, I did it Sinatra style (myyyy waaaaay)
>>
Lab equipment engineer.
My job isn't just programing but its a big part of it.
I got a masters in physical chemistry working towards a phD mostly for bragging rights
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.