[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://www.eff.org/press/releases/ eff-urges-citizens-websi
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 4
File: logo_full.png (8 KB, 568x63) Image search: [Google]
logo_full.png
8 KB, 568x63
https://www.eff.org/press/releases/eff-urges-citizens-websites-fight-rule-changes-expanding-government-powers-break

The U.S. Department of Justice is pushing through a rule change that would dramatically increase law enforcement’s authority to hack into computers—even if those computers are located outside the United States. The proposed updates to Rule 41 of the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure—and the increase in government hacking that will come along with it—would be catastrophic for our security. The worst part is that lawmakers don't even have to vote on this massive change. If Congress does nothing, it will automatically go into effect on December 1.

EFF, the Tor Project, and dozens of other users' rights organizations are calling on Congress to stop this sweeping power grab today. Please join our day of action by asking the U.S. Congress to stand against unchecked government hacking.

What Would the Proposed Change Do?

The update to Rule 41 would grant U.S. magistrate judges the ability to issue a search warrant when a computer’s location is obscured using “technological means” or when a computer is part of a botnet. The rule changes would make it easier for the government to get warrants to hack into the devices of people who take privacy-protecting measures – like using Tor or a VPN.
>>
File: 1466065886137.png (27 KB, 600x599) Image search: [Google]
1466065886137.png
27 KB, 600x599
BOYCOTT AMERICAN PRODUCTS
>>
File: pig ru_4.jpg (24 KB, 599x334) Image search: [Google]
pig ru_4.jpg
24 KB, 599x334
>>55208270
>>
I don't see what's wrong with this?
If your computer is part of a botnet you obviously don't care about privacy in the first place and also don't have the responsibility of owning a computer device either.
And what use is obscuring your IP anyway? 99% of cases it's to commit a crime or shitposting on Taiwanese Shrimp fishing forums.
I honestly see this going through perfectly fine. The Internet is not the Wild West, there needs to be rules and order. Just because the governed wants to make committing crimes harder to do behind anonymity isn't a bad thing and in fact was a long time coming. Seriously nothing good comes from using these VPN services, I've literally only seen a couple reasons why people use them anyway - break laws and/or cheat companies like Netflix or Xbox live or whatever.
>>
File: 1451394223407.png (584 KB, 680x453) Image search: [Google]
1451394223407.png
584 KB, 680x453
LAND OF THE FREE
>>
>>55208394
>And what use is obscuring your IP anyway? 99% of cases it's to commit a crime or shitposting on Taiwanese Shrimp fishing forums.
Oh boy, I'm sure the privacy advocates would love a word with you.
>>
>>55208311
I know it's Russia and all, but what's wrong with their pork?
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.