[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
AT&T call centre just turned me down when I have a 2 year
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: 1465167143001.jpg (43 KB, 640x625) Image search: [Google]
1465167143001.jpg
43 KB, 640x625
AT&T call centre just turned me down when I have a 2 year IT diploma

Should I just kill my self?
>>
>>55182866
ask again later
>>
>>55182866
Get a job at mcdonald and keep searching for jobs. It took me 1 year to land a programming gig after I got my 4 year CS degreeeee.
>>
This shit drives me nuts. I don't understand why companies want to miss out on IT guys that can work for cheap for the few years they acquire experience.

Every CS job I see (in frontend for example):

- Must have CCNA, Red Hat Certified
- 4 years of experience in html5 even tho it came out 3 years ago. CSS3
- Experience +2 years on all of the meme frameworks javascript has
- Also some backend because why the hell not, PHP and .ASP
- Yeah some C# would be leet too
- AGILE AND MEME SCRUM +3 years experience even tho it's a concept you can grasp in a 2 hour lecture.

Makes me wonder if everyone is lying on their resumes
>>
>>55183012
They are, and we all should be too.
>>
>>55183012
I'm glad I took math instead of Cs. CS is overpopulated
>>
File: 1464885019218.png (345 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1464885019218.png
345 KB, 1280x720
>>55182894
>>55183012

Gives me optimism

Shit tier job might be the answer
>>
>>55183012
>internship posting specifically for newly graduated students
>6 years of c#

Are the HR departments having a laugh?
>>
>>55183051
I once got turned down from a call center too because they thought "I could leave the company at any moment if I found a better job offer because IT was in high demand".

So there
>>
>>55183051
It's only temporary you retard. I just had bad luck and never learned how to write a proper CV. Maybe brush up on CV making skills familia. Maybe I could have gotten a job sooner but my CV was not the best looking back. Also stop posting that stupid frog, you're a grown man now anon, act like it.
>>
>>55183119

It's pretty hard to fit so much stuff in one page. Any advice?
>>
>>55182866
>2 year IT diploma with no work experience
>2
Sorry retard you would be lucky to land a job at Best Buy. Community college "degrees" are for poorfags who were stupid enough to pay for a worthless diploma. Finish up a real degree at a university then try again.
>>
>>55183543
Don't make your CV too long. The HR cuck is going to glaze over your CV for 1-2 minutes tops so don't write any redundant or unnecessary information.
>>
>>55183012
Those are wishlists. They aren't requirements even if that's what they're listed as. Apply anyway and ace the interview. Boom.
>>
from what I've read, your CV:
- should only have relevant info related to the job you are applying to. doesn't matter if you have worked in, say, mcdonalds
- should only be 1 page
- should contain lots of keywords, buzzwords and so on.
- should also contain contain personal projects
- should be written in third person
- should NOT contain too-subjective bullshit
>>
>>55183762
So you have to basically tailor a different CV for every job posting ?
>>
>>55182866
So you didn't do an internship? That sucks.
Get your A+ and work for Microcenter or similar. You'll get a decent starting point there.

>>55183576

>Has 2 year degree
>Makes 75k/yr plus annual bonus
It all depends on what you do with it.
>>
>>55183793
dude that's like job hunting 101

>>55182866
where do you live? try living somewhere less shitty

>>55183012
a lot of the time HR writes the job reqs, recently interviewed for a posting that was asking for like 8 years experience - turns out they were actually hiring two postions, one was senior and one wasn't. they were just too lazy to write two reqs

>>55183576
>at the end of the day, this
>>
>>55183854
>has no degree
>makes 140k yr before bonus comp

obviously no college is the way to go ;)
>>
>>55183885
Higher ups value experience over degrees. Hence the Comp Sci meme.
>>
>>55183910
it actually depends, some bigger companies will just bin your resume if you dont have any college exp just because of the sheer amount of applicants they get. like i didnt even bother applying to GM even though i had a buddy there just because i knew they'd do exactly what i just mentioned
>>
>>55183947
>HR will just bin your resume
Fix'd

Sadly the barrier for entry is HR, the least qualified to judge technical skills.
>>
>>55182866
A Verizon call center turned me down with 20 years of IT experience (operations and automation). 2 months later, I was offered a 6 figure position.

Shit happens, you'll be fine.
>>
>>55183590
>Don't make your CV too long. The HR cuck is going to glaze over your CV for 1-2 minutes tops so don't write any redundant or unnecessary information.

Disagree, for HR, put it all in. Some fucking computer is going to word match.
>>
>>55184638
This is only true in big companies that have everything automated.

For a first job I wouldnt recommend a big company }
>>
>>55185130
I thought big companies act as really good resume boosters
>>
>>55183576
Pretty much depends who issues the degree. Diplomas from a community college with no hands on work are toilet paper; whereas a diploma from a well respected technical institution can get you jobs.
>>
Honestly still look for a decent tech job for almost sux years now. On the up I was able to get a decent security guard gig useing my clearances. Better than working for some retail shit job.
>>
>>55183012
>every CS job
lol where do you live?
>>
>>55186774
Maybe the reason you can't get a decent tech job is because your writing is incomprehensible
>>
>OP doesn't realise that Indians will code for $3 a day plus meal allowances
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.