[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Security cameras
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: ip-camera.jpg (34 KB, 1120x746) Image search: [Google]
ip-camera.jpg
34 KB, 1120x746
Hey /g/ I am looking at setting up some outdoor and eventually indoor security cameras in and around my house, Im looking at PoE IP cameras with high field of view 720-1080p is fine with IR and preferably motion sensors.
I just don't know enough about camera brands to decide on what I should get my budget is about $200US per camera, starting with the outdoor cameras first.
Any suggestions?
>>
>>55182225
Bump
>>
Hikvision is the most common cheap brand, mostly solid with workable bugs. The video quality is good and NVR interface decent enough. App quality just OK. You'll get like no warranty unless you buy from an authorized reseller or a company selling OEM with a warranty.

Be sure to weatherproof the RJ45 and mount the cameras correctly to avoid any water damage.

I'd avoid dome cameras because they're a pain in the ass outdoors. IR is super sensitive so things like dust, spider webs, etc will fuck the night vision up completely.

You'll want a 4mm lens probably, keep in mind the wider the angle the less detailed it is. So if you go 2.8 don't expect great clarity at distance.

Finally with motion detection it's all just pixel based, so don't expect anything to be able to determine a person vs a fly that goes in front of the camera. Think of it as a way to save hard drive space and nothing more.
>>
>>55182225
why do they have to be ip and poe? that shit jacks the price up a ton. i have this system surrounding my house and it works fine and is way cheaper

https://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-720P-Video-Security-System/dp/B00ZSPXR8E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466477429&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=amcrest+720p+security+system&psc=1
>>
>>55182805
hmm I was just looking at some Hikvision cameras then discovered they are a Chinese company.
Why avoid dome cameras? I'm leaning more towards a dome camera because they are less noticeable when mounted into a ceiling and not wall mounted like in OP.
>>
>>55182921
i linked the wrong one this is the one i have

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R3QLGNO/ref=twister_B01DVJDUC6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
>>
>>55182921
higher resolutions and easier installation, I can just run a single Cat5/6 cable through the ceiling to each camera.
>>
>>55182926

If you must have dome cameras go for the "turret" style with open face. Like I said, infrared is extremely reflective and even just a fingerprint or unnoticeable amount of dust on the camera can completely wash out or ruin the night vision picture of them.

Almost everything is from China, whether you like it or not. The Taiwanese stuff is mostly overpriced by 2-3x in comparison and the software isn't as good. You can look to Axis for really high end stuff but it's massively diminishing returns there.

t. I work in the industry
>>
>>55182953
you can get the normal ones in 720p/1080p as well with ir/motion detection/etc as well. the cords are going to the same place so t's just as easy to run two cables as it is to run one
>>
>>55182926
HikVision is probably the best value. Approaching Axis quality hardware for way less money
>>
>>55183000

But coax sucks and is a dead end. It's much more susceptible to interference and if he wants to upgrade his system 4-5 years down the road he'll be able to easily with IP.

4K is here and he might not need it now but when 4K cameras are cheap he can add a couple on.

Also IP gives you a lot more picture customization than coax cams.
>>
>>55182998
>"turret" style with open face
You mean the ones without the plastic see-through dome?
>>
>>55183050

Correct - they look like this and are mostly ugly as fuck IMO but are far more functional.

Also I forgot the best part about domes is that when you install them outdoors if you live in a humid environment when you close it you'll likely get humidity trapped into them and have water droplets on the inside of the dome which will ruin IR quality.
>>
>>55183077
Yea they do look ugly.
Whats your opinion on PTZ cameras?
>>
>>55183288

They sound like a better idea than they are.

Remember they can only see what they're looking for at the time. Typically for the price you can get 2-3 or even 4 fixed lens cameras that cover more area with more overall resolution.

You can set patrols and schedules on a lot of stuff. But keep in mind most of them have to be set record constantly when on patrols so you lose motion detection.
>>
>>55183856
Alright I will take that into consideration, thanks for your help.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.