[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Website building
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 1333555729363.jpg (74 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
1333555729363.jpg
74 KB, 640x427
If there's a website-related thread, I'll have a look for it to ask, but I'd get more reach if I made a thread.

I just built a website on my computer using HTML, CSS and a couple of third parties like lightbox.
I dont even know what to search up as I taught myself everything so I'm not too caught up with the lingo but here goes.

I altered some of the third parties, bootstrap and lightbox for preferences like font and colors. I'm ready to put the website online but i have no idea how to do it. Most website seem to host their own uploading of images so what I'm asking is:

1: Is a server that has a website like an online folder anyone can access?
2: If so, do I just dump all the folders into the server and change the directories
Ex. C:\website\kek.jpg
becomes
www.web.com/website/kek.jpg
3. Being that I changed a bunch of the third parties internals, I need to upload that version of it, so cutting out useless things to save bandwith is a must? Or does collectively 500 lines of code not worth running through?
4. Could I -technically- turn an arduino or raspberry pi into a server whore and let it run connected to my modem indefinitely?
>>
If there's no server side scripting involved (such as php) you can host your website completely for free on Github Pages or Gitlab Pages.
>>
https://pages.github.com/
>>
>>55176844
Now I have to look up server side scripting and php, do you mind giving a brief summary?

I thought a server is basically just a bunch of these "folders" linked to certain URLs (a server may hold multiple websites) That's why servers have some altered version of windows so that it can store these websites in these folders I'm describing. I'm assuming server side scripting means I am able to plug in a monitor or some sort of connection and go into the server computer and even build the whole website theoretically there.
>>
>>55176925
Yeah, your description is somewhat correct. Websites that are just that - files that are in a directory server to the browser are called 'static pages'.

Now, for 'dynamic pages', or ones that use server-side scripting.

Think of Wikipedia for a second. Everyone can edit it, but nobody edits Wikipedia in html. The wiki language that you edit pages in is send to the server in a <form>, then the server needs to execute some custom code to change that wiki language to html, record the username/IP address to the history, and save that edited page.

You can't do that on a simple 'static' page, there's just nowhere the edit could be saved.
>>
>>55176925
If you don't know what server side scripting is, you are not using it.
>>
>>55176766
>4. Could I -technically- turn an arduino or raspberry pi into a server whore and let it run connected to my modem indefinitely?
Arduino: unlikely.
Raspberry Pi: yes you can.

You'll probably have raspbian or something like it running on the thing, so you can install the apache webserver on it. A good straightforward installation guide can be found here: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-linux-apache-mysql-php-lamp-stack-on-ubuntu
Apache's default folder for storing the website's files is /var/www/html. All you need to do is put your stuff there.

As for bootstrap questions: I don't use it, so I have no idea. Refer to the bootstrap website.
>>
>>55177077
hm, I see, I've been meaning to tinker with the Ras Pi, but opted for the functional arduino for tinkering.

What do you use for making tabs and links to other parts of the site? How do you implement it?

I wanted to make drop down tabs and the ability to link to the middle of a page kind of like Wikipedia. But from what I've found, it's more difficult than people thought, even with those options being available.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.