[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
RX480 and still waiting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 465262.jpg (105 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
465262.jpg
105 KB, 1024x768
Should I even bother selling my r9 390 I bought last summer? Ran DOOM demo at 1440p at max settings ,felt really got seeing 60 fps most of the time so I don't seeing any reason outside of hardware improvements and power hmmmm,maybe the wait fag were right...

To me rx480 isn't going to shake the GPU as much as I want it to, most of the benches floating around tell me that,when you can get older cards already for around similar performance and price(second hand) there really isn't a wow factor in the air unless we are talking higher flagship GPUs.The gtx1070/1080 for example is a sign of better things to come in my eyes for AMD but it will be awhile before AMD shows up with Vega and that my friends will be something to look forward too.
>>
File: 1441522155156.png (241 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1441522155156.png
241 KB, 500x375
>>55168962
If you ever feel like your room gets too hot, get it.

honestly, it's going to use half the fucking power
>>
70 degrees at load and superior performance to my 290x please.
>>
>>55169022
>70 degrees at load

Meaningless really. If it could go 80 degrees under load with the fans off, I'd take that over 70 with the fans at 100%. Obviously not a realistic scenario, but load temperatures are meaningless without knowing how loud it needs to be to sustain them. I had a PowerColor 390 that stayed under 70 under full load, but it sounded like a leafblower to do so. Whereas I had a Sapphire 290X Vapor-X at one point, which creeped up to ~75, yet was extremely quiet. I know which I preferred.
>>
>>55168962
As far as I can tell, the 480x is about the same as the 390, just uses a lot less power than the goddamn space heater. More of a sidegrade really.
>>
I want RX 480
>>
>>55169043
I've run my card at 60-65C idle/75-80C load for the last 5 years.

Who gives a shit about temps as long as they're not so high that they cause a shutdown.
>>
>>55169022
>>55169043
>>55169089
it's not temperature that you should worry about, it's actual heat output

you can cool down a 500w heater and a 50w heater both to 60c, sure it's harder to with the 500w, but it's still 60c

>>55169062
You're delusional if you think that. Even if AMD made zero improvements it'd still outperform a 290X

2816*1000*2 = 5632000
2304*1266*2 = 5833728

Really I'm not gonna be surprised if this ends up taking out the original Fury at stock clocks.
>>
>>55169138
>it's not temperature that you should worry about, it's actual heat output
Heat output is pretty irrelevant from the user point of view. The only real relevance it has is that it also happens to be the power consumption of your card because thermodynamics.

Heat output isn't the only thing that determines how hard it is to keep temperatures in check. What also matters is the area the heat is coming from. The larger that area is, that larger the area that comes in contact with a heatsink is, increasing the conduction of heat from it. We're also not dealing with only a single heat generating elements, but multiple. The GPU, memory, vrm all have their own heat outputs that are very difficult to separate from one another, while temperatures are much easier to measure. Considering it is often temperatures that limit how far you can push your card, or how quiet you can keep your fans, it's a bit more relevant than heat output that tells you how much the card heats up your room.
>>
>>55169253
it is when you have one fucking window
>>
I keep seeing AMD fags say they will buy 2-3 of these 480s.
Argue price, but will spend $650+ on 3 GPUs
know nothing about shit 2 or 3 way CFX scaling
how are they are that stupid?
>>
>>55169598
Its bad on games that don't support CF but then again idoits that don't do reserch like Nvidoits shouldn't buy any sli or cf setup.

because if it was really bad no one would even try CF of Sli.
>>
>>55168962
What until the next model or maybe the model after that. The important thing is to wait.
>>
>>55170208
when do you think the 490 will be coming out? this summer?
>>
Big question to you tech people.
Can I cross-conect RX480 with older AMD cards like R9 280? I have 280 and was thinking since that new one supose to be only 200$ I could sway my wife to buy it.
I want to add second monitor and have this awful feeling my 280 will melt my PC under that load.
>>
>>55169598
And you know nothing about dx12 multi gpu.

Why else do you think nvidia is giving up on sli? CF/SLI is worthless when it comes to dx12 since it doesn't require either one. Just because there's only a handful games available doesn't mean more isn't coming.
>>
>>55168962
Buy a gtx1080 you stupid poorfag
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.