[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Prev:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26
File: 1276426088166.jpg (523 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1276426088166.jpg
523 KB, 1024x768
Prev:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>55108956

Welcome to /fglt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

IRC connection details:
Server: chat.freenode.net:6667 (no SSL, 6697 for SSL) - Channel: #flt
If you don't have an IRC client (which you should), go to https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt to use IRC on a web client.

Visit the Friendly GNU/Linux Thread/Website:
http://fglt.nl/

Resources:
man <insert command here>
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://www.gnu.org/
>>
Have to install arch for class. got base installed and the like (i.e. finished beginners guide). what are the best post-installation steps? bit of a linux newbie.
>>
Fuck, KDE5 got wrecked again. As soon as I unplug my 2nd monitor, Plasma just shits itself, and remains shat, even after a reboot. Only plugging my monitor back in, makes it return to normal, just as if nothing had happend.
Problem is: It's a fucking laptop, so I need to be able to use it without its external monitor.
Last time this occured, only a reinstall fixed it.
Now that is a known bug, but seems like it wont get fixed, and I cant fucking have a work machine, where I am afraid of every single display unplugging fucking my machine, and costing me a few hours of reinstalling and configuring shit.
So, what do?
Switch distros?
I'm on fedora, and used to quite like it, but supposedly, Suse has a few KDE patches of their own still. Used to use suse back in the days where you actually could buy a box full of DVD'S and handbooks, and it was quite comfy, but somwhere along the way, they kinda lost their focus. Worth returning to?
Ubuntu? Tried it once, and I was appalled by it. I am all for an easy, just-werks-out-of-the-box experience, but that shit is so dumbed down that I actually felt offended.
CentOS? I really, really want to go back to KDE4, instead of that pre-alpha mess that is 5, but the fact that rpmfusion is dead means that I wont get a lot of software, unless I compile myself (fuck that) or enable some one-man-autist-show repos, that might insert whatever into my system.
Something else I am missing?
Or switch DEs?
But I already tried gnome, and it was as insulting as ubuntu. And if I have to spend hours to figure out in what fucking syntax I have to write the config files of some one-man-autist-show DE, where I have to do everything manually, I'd rather waste those hours fixing/reinstalling KDE, since that actually works (if it works, that is…)
Or just give up, and reinstall windows? I still have an 8pro licence lying around, that I can either still "upgrade" to 10 (…probably not), or "downgrade" to 7pro.
>>
>>55119490
Arch Linux with Plasma 5. Just works.
>>
>>55119552
>Arch Linux
>Just works.
Nope. I seriously cant use a distro that has the explicit philosophy of having you doing everything by hand. I need my PC for work, not for causing me more work.
>>
>>55119451
got gnome up and running. how do I start ricing?
>>
I'm this guy.
>>55113221

I was able to install Fedora 23 with no frills by selecting just the SSD. Now I'll set up the swap, /var partition maybe and what not.

I'm on my week off 4chan, so I won't be monitoring the thread, but I'll check for replies every couple of hours.

Cheers, and stay friendly.
>>
>>55119490
You can try Linux Mint :)
>>
File: Autism Desktop Environment.png (582 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Autism Desktop Environment.png
582 KB, 1280x720
I want to do this. Basically, the top panel has an application launcher menu, a taskbar, a tray, and a clock. For maximized applications, the titlebar disappears and the window buttons move to the corner of the panel. Or the window controls could be there permanently and just control the focused window, either way works.

Is there a DE that will allow me to accomplish this? I tried with GNOME, but customizing GNOME is a nightmare since every single thing you want to do requires a buggy extension prone to breaking between versions, and they don't necessarily play nicely with each other. There was a MATE applet that could put the window buttons in a panel, but it's dead and broken in recent MATE versions.
>>
Does anyone know if UDP socket states are the same as TCP socket states? I'm talking about these [1] and compared to what /proc/net/udp reports.

The kernel has an enum for TCP states [2] but there's no equalivent enumartion for UDP states.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_Control_Protocol#Protocol_operation
[2] https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/include/net/tcp_states.h?id=HEAD
>>
>>55119552
I second to that
>>
>>55119634
Stop trolling faggot.
>>
lightdm breaks all the time and i enjoy switching between DE, what do I use instead
>>
>>55120507
startx & changing the DE within ~/.xinitrc
>>
>>55120523
what if i'm not autistic?
>>
>>55120531
Using a DE when you're literally the only user using your computer is in fact autistic.
>>
>>55120717
>using a DE is autistic

literally what? we should be using terminal only to not be autistic? what the fuck are you saying?
>>
>>55120752
You don't need to use the terminal when you don't use a DE. You drop a single line into your xinit and that's it. Don't play retarded.
>>
>>55120774
not even him, just trying to get what you are saying.

but whatever, doesn't matter.
>>
>>55119600
gnome is dumb running xfce now. got lightdm working which is the furthest I've ever gotten with arch.

is installing open box as simple as
 pacman -S openbox
--------------------------------------
openbox --replace

?
>>
>>55120804
I guess anon is talking about a DM (Display Manager)

A DM makes sense for two reasons:
- multiple users use the computer
- you have multiple window managers you want to select from via GUI

If you're the only user and only use one DE (or WM), you don't need a display manager, since everything it would manage is one session. This sessen can be started automatically by dropping startx in your shellrc.

Example:
[ -z "${DISPLAY}" ] && [ "$(tty)" = "/dev/tty1" ] && exec startx

This will autostart your desktop session when you login at tty1 (the default tty).
>>
>>55119451
>arch for class
>>
File: 1439772277420.webm (3 MB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
1439772277420.webm
3 MB, 720x480
Hey guys. I want to try Linux but there are so many Linuxes to choose from and they all look nice. What is the BEST one? I can't decide.
>>
>>55121041
>>
>>55121069
seconding
>>
>>55121041
Is that a portal to the dogscape?
>>
File: 1464351475789.png (134 KB, 500x431) Image search: [Google]
1464351475789.png
134 KB, 500x431
>>55121041
GNU Linux-libre
https://www.fsfla.org/ikiwiki/selibre/linux-libre/
>>
File: stux.jpg (80 KB, 500x335) Image search: [Google]
stux.jpg
80 KB, 500x335
>>55121128
It's adorable
>>
If I want a tray icon in arch for wifi how is that done? through netctl or xfce?
>>
>>55121128
Debian's kernel is better. It comes without blobs but you can load proprietary firmware.
>>
>>55121229
Netctl is just a manager, you need a widget like nm-applet.
>>
File: 1443841821408.png (23 KB, 383x400) Image search: [Google]
1443841821408.png
23 KB, 383x400
>>55121279
DELET THIS
>>
>>55119368
this pic triggers the venezuelians
>>
>>55119368
>don't shit in the streets
>use unix

Memes aside, the only true (trademarked) unix is OS X. GNU and the Linxu kernel were rewritten with the idea of unix, nothing more or less.
>>
in xfce when I minimize something it creates a desktop icon of it which is ugly how can I stop this, or what can I google?
>>
>>55121041
Linux-ck
>>
File: shiny.png (441 KB, 575x575) Image search: [Google]
shiny.png
441 KB, 575x575
>>55119368
>no thread title
>>
>>55121445 (you)
>>
>>55121818
hes right bro
>>
>>55121844
that he is right or not is irrelevant. Gnu + linux is a unix like system. Gnu's not unix. No one ever said that gnu+linux was a true unix system.
If he wants to talk about OS X, he is free to do so in another threads which isn't dedicated to gnu linux
>>
>>55122019
Look at OPs picture retard.
>>
/g/uise , if i use an nvidia/intel laptop with nvidia drivers installed but choose intel with prime-select, is the nvidia card turned off or just not doing any work but still using some power?
>>
>>55119999
UDP is a datagram protocol, it is stateless. They kernel could make up state about whether there is someone listining on a socket of time since traffic seen but I don't think it does. The conntrack subsystem might though.
>>
>>55122819
Alright, I'll just disregard the state field that the proc filesystem displays for UDP connections then.
>>
>>55119621
I finally got it. I had some trouble with Gnome not shutting off/on properly so I scratched it and installed from a new iso with KDE. Works like a charm.
>>
>>55122834
Or I should say sockets since it's connectionless :-)
>>
How do I get an additional dns server in my resovl.conf? resolv.conf.head doesn't seem to work
>>
>>55119490
>Suse has a few KDE patches of their own still. Used to use suse back in the days where you actually could buy a box full of DVD'S and handbooks, and it was quite comfy, but somwhere along the way, they kinda lost their focus. Worth returning to?
God
Fuckin
Damit
Its
Even
Worse
!!!!!

Seriously, KDE5 is an utter mess. Now plugin and unplugin monitors does not kill plasma, but I just get random crashes (which it recovers from) all the time, and occasionally, I loose some windows, mostly terminals that are running fucking zypper. And it sucks to have an update running, that might or might not work, causing god knows what kinds of havoc.

Currently trying mate.
Looks like shit, but seems to work, but it cant fucking connect to my wifi, since it seems to colide with the KDE setting for it.

>reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>55119576

>myth meme meme meme myth meme meme memememememem lol mememem

That's how your post sounds to a normal person.
>>
>>55121310

nm-applet needs network manager.
there's wicd-gtk, but wicd is abandoned and deprecated.
>>
I had to disable UEFI secure boot to install propietrary Nvidia drivers on Ubuntu 16.04.
How do I enable it again? And do I need to enable it?
>>
What's the best distro for my shitty 2007 macbook?

I've read about some of them struggling with power management and whatnot. Want something that just twerks for shitposting and jewtube.
>>
File: 1439278153166.jpg (213 KB, 1112x1686) Image search: [Google]
1439278153166.jpg
213 KB, 1112x1686
OCDfag here. Can I rename .Xresources to .xresources and simply call it every time via xrdb .xresources, or will it break something?
>>
>>55123306
Just make a symlink called xresources.

If you don't mind it appearing in non-hidden directory lists then I'd leave out the . too, less typing.
>>
hey guys I need some help

I've written a font.conf file, but I dont know where to place it
currently it's in ~/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf
is it the right place?
I have the feeling it's either ignored or at the wrong place

teach me how to do it right
>>
>>55123333
That'd bother me too much since I usually list hidden files inclusive. (Why must X be such a special snowflake?!)
>>
>>55123333
Also: Nice quads.
>>
>>55123333
checked
>>
>>55123306
Yes.

Alternativly, use the deprecated .xdefaults file.
It's not recommended, but supported.
>>
>>55123414
>>55123333
Thanks.
>>
>>55123306
Simply drop
xrdb randomfilename
into your .xinit or .bashrc
>>
>>55123402
>>55123392
I almost can't believe I wasted quads on such a hacky workaround

>>55123306
Another idea, why don't you just make an alias for it in your shell, maybe xres or xdb?
>>
went to use open box and now my windows don't snap at the side and the terminal is no longer tranparent. cool ricing guise.
>>
>>55123691
>cool ricing guise.
Since you want to shit on it, I don't see any reason to help you. Enjoy. :^)
>>
>>55123691
>>55123711
this is a friendly linux thread be nice.
>>
>>55123691
>>55123691
>>55123691
>>55123691
I'm still trying to be a good example.

- You need compositing, because OpenBox is a lightweight WM that doesn't support it nativly. Solution: install compton

Things like window snapping or hot corner are easy scriptable via xdotool and/or wmctrl?
Bunsenlabs got some nice example here, written in Python (works on any distro/WM):
https://github.com/BunsenLabs/bunsen-utilities/blob/master/bin/bl-aerosnap
https://github.com/BunsenLabs/bunsen-utilities/blob/master/bin/bl-hotcorners

Furthermore: Everything is possible on GNU/Linux.
>>
Hello guys

I want to start learning C++, and since I use GNU/Linux, I wanted to ask - what's a good IDE to use? Codeblocks?
>>
>>55123971
Unconventionalfag here: Don't use an IDE. Learn vim and compile external (gcc, etc). The benefits are: You don't only learn how to write correct code, you also learn how to please compilers and how to program in lightspeed.
>>
>>55123971
Some thoughts.

Sublime: May help you alot, but since it's proprietary, it's just another uncomfy dick in the ass

Atom: IMHO better than Sublime, but since it's based on JS it's slow as fuck and you will get in trouble when you try to work with large files.
Also: Shithub - nuff said

Geany is nice. I've discovered no bad things about it so far.

And then there are Vim and Emacs. Choice is easy: You're from planet earth? Use Vim. Not? Use Emacs.

Everything else: Drop it.
>>
When will there be an official Ubuntu derivative for Cinnamon so we can recommend that to newbies instead of Mint?
>>
>>55123971
I'm not a programmer expert, I'm still learning a lot, but I think everyone should start with a dumb text editor, the command line and a compiler. I tried to learn programming a while ago when microsoft released their free version of visual studio, and the build process of software stayed mysterious to me until I went on linux and started to use the command line to compile LaTeX documents. Also I forgot basically everything of C#, since VS with its completion and debugging tools don't force you to write correctly nor to know the exact syntax or keywords. Now, when I learn a language, I actually learn it, and the text editor doesn't think for me.

Anyway, vim and emacs can act as IDEs. Also learn the interactive features of your shell, they're really helpful.
>>
>>55124113
>derivative
IMHO derivatives are nice toys to play with, but nothing to run as daily driver.
Next to this, I think that Mate is pretty much more comfy for refugees than Cinnamon.
>>
>>55124151
Afaik the free VS is botnetted with telemetry.
Some days ago there was a thread about that topic.

I agree with learning programming via dumb-editors tho.
>>
File: ggame.jpg (7 KB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
ggame.jpg
7 KB, 300x169
Got an issue on my arch install
do you want to help troubleshoot or I go to arch IRC?

>issue
on reboot theres no internet connection, I can ping 8.8.8.8, but not www.google.com
if I sudo pm-suspend, and wake up from it, everything works
>>
What's the best way to force a 1920x1080 resolution on a 1360x768 monitor? tried xandr with the outputs from "cvt" and it looks like dogshit, is there a linux equivalent for AMD custom resolutions on windows?
>>
>>55124197
xrandr can do this. You just need to create a new mode if the desired resolution isn't available by default. Check the manpage and the arch wiki for more infos: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/xrandr

There are also a lot of frontends for xrandr, but since I never used one of them, I can't recommend one.
>>
>>55124228
Yeah but it looks like trash, like blurry as hell or even out of the frame, I even tried adding the resolution to 10-monitor.conf in xorg.config.d but doesn't help
>>
>>55124250
If it looks blurry, try to lower the DPI.
>>
>>55124183
Join #flt (see OP) and ping the sleeping fags (call their names).
>>
>>55124323
Why didn't the IRC level up to fglt yet?
Please no 150 shitposts now.
>>
>>55124338
its called downgrade
also you started to shitpost
>>
>>55124153
>IMHO derivatives are nice toys to play with, but nothing to run as daily driver.
Maybe for you and me, but noobs want something that just werks out of the box. I want something I can recommend in good faith that will make the transition as comfortable for them as possible, and out of all the current DEs, Cinnamon is by far the best for that purpose IMO.
>Next to this, I think that Mate is pretty much more comfy for refugees than Cinnamon.
In some ways, maybe, but it's feeling pretty old-school these days. I don't think it's really that inviting for former Windows 7+ users, especially without Compiz. It'd be fine for someone who misses Windows XP.
>>
>>55124356
>RMS is eating shit from his foot
>RMS is a pedophile
>GPL restricts freeedom
>FSF is a cult
Meh. Seriously. We aren't 12 year olds.
>>
>>55124384
I usually recommend Fedora since it's not as satanic as Ubuntu (spying, Microsoft BBF) and not Mint (security desaster).
>>
What about those Arch installers like Evo/lition, Archiitect, Antergos etc? Anyone got experiences to share? How's Manjaro, SSL memes aside?
>>
What's the package that changes the terminal colors and make everything look uniform and use the same colors? also how do people change the terminal so indea of a ~ it shows some icon or some pretty shit like that
>>
>>55124609
I've used Architect a couple of times. It does what it says on the tin. Honestly I probably wouldn't bother installing Arch "manually" these days, simply to save time.
>>
Do bugs ever get fixed? I just searched the web for a bug I was having and the bug was filed on launchpad. The first post was made back in the first month of 2014. It's for a bug for the Xfce panel menu on Xubuntu. When ever people bash linux saying how it's always full of bugs, linux users just say "hurr durr you're too retarded to google and file bug reports", but people are doing just that and they still blame the user.
>>
>>55124907
Some do. Xfce is pretty much a dead project, though, so I wouldn't expect much change anymore.
>>
>>55124907
Generally: Only if the dev of program X wants to fix it. That's the spirit of GNU/Linux, but part of the spirit is that people actually fix it right at the time the bug is reported (usually they point to a patch). Always tinker through bug reports and search git for patches and bug fixes.
>>
>>55123148
I wouldn't enable it unless you are familiar with signing kernel modules
>>
>>55124930
>Xfce is pretty much a dead project
I keep hearing this, but the repo at http://git.xfce.org/ seems active enough.
>>
File: 1458514415563.png (106 KB, 353x387) Image search: [Google]
1458514415563.png
106 KB, 353x387
Reminder we have threads on /t/ about

ported videogames
>>>/t/707928
>>>/t/707928

tutorials on system administration
>>>/t/713097
>>>/t/713097
>>
 ~ % ping 8.8.8.8
ping: socket: Operation not permitted
ping: socket: Operation not permitted

Where did I go wrong?
>>
>>55125100
sudo chmod u+s `which ping`
>>
>>55125117
S?
>>
>>55125023
That picture with the captions and the lady is cringy as fuck
>>
>>55124609

>i want to use arch for days, weeks, months, but i can't sit down 10 minutes to install it how it's meant to be installed

How to spot a pretentious poser who doesn't need the operating system in the first place.
>>
I have a 16gb USB stick and a macbook running 10.7.

Unetbootin doesn't start, I guess my own is too old.

What options do I have to install Ubuntu or debian onto that USB stick?

I tried unetbootin from my winblows box but I can't boot and install to and from the same stick.

I also created a persistent file to store settings and whatnot but that doesn't seem to work either.
>>
>>55125117
Fixed it
>>
>>55125165
dd

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-to-create-disk-image-on-mac-os-x-with-dd-command/
>>
>>55125165
OSX should have the dd command line utility. You could use that to write the bootable usb stick, though not for persistence.
>>
>>55125165
If you happen to have a rooted Android phone, DriveDroid is a lot more convenient than USB sticks IMO.
>>
>>55125182
>>55125185
I know about dd and have used it but all it does is copy the iso to the usb stick. That doesn't allow me to either install it to that same usb stick and it doesn't allow me to save my settings.
>>
>>55125199
wut

this is starting to look like an XY problem

What are you trying to accomplish
>>
>>55125199
Get a second USB stick, A.
Burn a bootable live iso to this stick using dd.
Boot into stick A.
Use the ubuntu startup creator to create a persistent live image onto a different USB stick, B.

Would this meet your goal?
>>
>>55125238
Main problem is I only have one usb stick. Linux installer won't let you use the same usb stick as installer source and destination, even if theyre on seperate partitions.

>>55125254
See above. Just wondered if there's a way of getting around this without having to wait or go out and buy another stick.

>>55125192
This looks promising, currently downloading image file to my phone.
>>
>>55125149
Spotted the poster who installed Arch once and SO FUCKING PROUD about being able to follow the beginners guide.

Memes aside, faggot, there are people who are bored of installing Arch manually. It's just comfy to have a script or an installer that does the job for you.
>>
>>55125149
>>55125306
#rekt
>>
>>55125324
>le arch hater
stallmanist spotted
still busy eating shit from your foot?
>>
>>55125366
see >>55124395
>>
>>55125366
>le reading comprehension
Not him, but there's no arch hate in that post.
>>
>>55125306

How often do you reinstall Arch? How often do you reinstall your operating system?
I installed Arch in 20 minutes and have been using it for months. I would be using it even longer, but I switched my hardware (laptops). Only an idiot would use your argument. No sane person reinstalls their OS that many times that it warrants an "easy" installation.
Your shitty abstractions are also against one of the core principles of Arch itself.

>who installed Arch once and SO FUCKING PROUD about being able to follow the beginners guide.
The same could be said about you for having the Arch logo when you post your screenfetches.

>comfy

You should have written that somewhere at the start of your post. It would have been easier to identify a ridiculous post.
>>
>>55125366
>le
>>>/reddit/
>>
File: 1449107287073.png (901 KB, 690x460) Image search: [Google]
1449107287073.png
901 KB, 690x460
>>55125434
>I installed Arch in 20 minutes
>come at me babies
>>
>>55125434
p-please dont hack em
>>
>>55125477
*me (sorry I'm in panic)
>>
>>55125477

>has no argument
>post some irrelevant script kiddie "meme" response

Just as I expected.

>>55125455

You need to work on your reading comprehension if that's what you got out of that.
>>
>>55125434
>I installed Arch in 20 minutes
You e-penis must be fucking huge.
>No sane person reinstalls their OS
What about random live distos?
What about random installations for a friend?
>Your shitty abstractions are also against one of the core principles of Arch itself.
Like what? Making things more complicated than they could be by using a script?
>>comfy
I get it. People who enjoy comfy things aren't 1337 enough, right?
>>
I'm wondering.

Why don't we have gentoo users who act like hacking the planet? Why is it always only the arch users?
>>
>>55125603
because arch is actually a babby distro

the whole pretense of the AUR is for spoonfeeding
>>
How can I list all packages installed from the AUR?
>>
>>55125603
I guess Gentoo users are far, far away from lamenting about stupid things like the speed of installing a distro.
>>
>>55125657
really? this is the place to ask this question? not taking 3 seconds to google it?

pacman -Q
>>
>>55125563

If you hadn't realized: the 20 minutes are meant to show the ratio between time invested and time spent using it.

>What about random live distos?
How is a live distribution relevant to this discussion? This is about Arch Linux or any non-live distribution which you INSTALL.

>What about random installations for a friend?
Why would you install Arch for a friend? If your friend is not in a position to profit from what "makes" Arch (rolling release, the package manager, no unnecessary patching of packages), why would you install it for him? If you still install it for him, it means that both of you are pretentious and doing it to stroke your "e-penis" or "distribution penis".

>Like what? Making things more complicated than they could be by using a script?
Your script makes things more complicated. You're adding another unnecessary layer on top of something. You can achieve the same results by using the "low-level" and actual tools. That means less possible bugs and issues.

>I get it. People who enjoy comfy things aren't 1337 enough, right?
Anyone who uses comfy to describe an operating system or software is beyond help. I hope you don't use that word in real life since it must be really embarrassing. No one will take you seriously if you do and not just in real life.
>>
>>55125679
All the packages from the AUR
Not everything
>>
>>55125698
pacman -Qm

again, why the need to ask here?
>>
Hey guys. I want to make a suckless version of vrms. So far I have (for debian based systems):
vrms() 
{
dpkg-query -W -f '${Section}/${Package}\n' | grep -E '^(contrib|multiverse|non-free|partner|restricted)/' | sort
}

Now I'm searching for equivalents using pacman and yum to make the script portable. Any hints welcome.

also, what's the best way to distinguish distros, so I can create an if-else thingy?

Just a fun project for learning, pls no bully.
>>
How hard is to connect two computers over wifi using SSH for someone who never has set that up before? I've used ssh in the past, but it was mostly set for me.
>>
Does pacman really break the OS every other day (X) or is it just a meme? Please no flamewar, I prefer sources and links to read about how it works more than maymays.
>>
>>55125799
really fucking easy

just take a look at a sample or default sshd.conf file to get an idea of the options
>>
>>55119451
Read the wiki fuck boy
>>
>>55125837
>>>/out/
This is a friendly thread.
>>
>>55125823
it's on par with debian sid

it doesn't break constantly but it does break

if you don't know how to fix dependency issues and revert updates you should learn before using arch on a production machine
>>
>>55125830
Nice to hear that. Which is a good starting point? I'm thinking the Arch wiki. Is it a good choice?

Also... Why the fuck is the Arch wiki so goddam good? Which other sources of linux knowledge are on par with that? And I'm talking about readable sources.
>>
>>55125845
Thank you. Is there a way to track potential bugs before updating like apt-listbugs or do I need to check the RSS feeds? (Does this even help?)
>>
>>55125823

there have been updates where if you haven't updated your system in a while you will receive an unbootable system (albeit recoverable) and generally you do need to keep up to date on updates but it shouldn't just break out of the blue

as far as sources go just google it but if you can't do that then how the most recent post on arch's website?

https://www.archlinux.org/news/required-update-to-pacman-501-before-2016-04-23/

>In order for the use of hooks to be started, we require all users to have updated to at least pacman-5.0.1 before 2016-04-23. Pacman-5.0.1 was released on 2016-02-23, so this will have given everyone two months to update their system.

>>55125799

if sshd isn't enabled, enable it, if port 22 isn't open by default, open it, ??? profit

>>55125785
>also, what's the best way to distinguish distros, so I can create an if-else thingy?

cat /etc/release or something

>>55125603
>Why don't we have gentoo users who act like hacking the planet? Why is it always only the arch users?

gentoo is a meme but the barrier to entry is that compiling packages takes time on older/weaker machines, it's no more difficult or time consuming to install over arch if you ignore the compiling time but once you want to install something like firefox you have to use the firefox-bin packages or you'll be waiting for a long time
>>
>>55125857
there's some pretty good info on askubuntu and stackoverflow

there's also some pretty shit answers too
>>
>>55125921
>gentoo is a meme
I don't agree. Gentoo makes pretty much sense for people who like to customize their packages and tinfoilhats aswell.
>it's no more difficult or time consuming to install over arch
Gentoo is only a meme because the first install may take some time, since (as you mentioned) some things like a browser may take forever to compile, but for these situations there are said binaries people can use, so they have a browser while the actual package is compiling (if they don't want to wait).

Gentoo is im my holy opinion the zen for people who love to customize their distro without the hassle of searching requirements for compiling and all the other jazz you need for compiling package X since portage does the job for you. All you need is the right flag for your customized build.

The profit of Gentoo is a system that is perfectly made for the user's needs without any bloat.
>>
Is there a package that will automatically colour everything according to my wallpaper colors?
>>
>>55125857
>>55125979
Also man and /usr/share/doc/ -- though these are mainly helpful if you know what you're looking for. People always seem to forget about them for some reason.
>>
My laptop is coming in the mail and ive been wondering about instaling linux on it but i was just wondering how the support is for a few games, mainly csgo ,overwatch, and a few 2d games like RoR and BOI. Also im going to be setting up a raid 0 with two Samsung 950 pro m.2s, will linux affect this in any way? Any reply is appreciated anons.
>>
There is: https://github.com/deviantfero/wpgtk

Still working on my bash-only version without all the python stuff, wish me luck to get it ready. Meanwhile use link related.
>>
>>55126124
>>55126058
>>
>>55126058
COLOR
>>
i have a serious issue that i need help with.
i tried to install lubuntu on a laptop (it previously had ubuntu 14 on it)
i made the usb install with rufus, went throught the installation, but after it installed, when it restarts a black screen with the text "/dev/sda1: clean, 121370/15204352 files, 1607612/60789760 blocks" and does nothing

how do i fix my computer so i can use it?
>>
>>55126124
Will it change everything including openbox windows and gtk themes or just the terminal
>>
>>55125192
It all worked right until the end and I got an error message saying it couldn't install grub.

I chose to install grub on /dev/sdb1, the same partition as the root partition of the usb drive. Is this right?
>>
>>55126231
switch to tty2 and check the journal/logs
>>
>>55126287
no, you install grub to the DEVICE mbr/gpt, not the partition

/dev/sdb
>>
>>55126347
ah thanks senpai I'll give it another go
>>
>>55126333
how do i do that? it doesnt let me type anything and just stays on that screen, ive let it sit for about 3 hours and nothing changes. im installing lubuntu 16.4 if that is relevant
>>
can I run programs like steam or skype on linux or do I need wine and does it even work
>>
>>55126440
Both will run natively in linux, though for Steam note that you will only be able to play games which have Linux ports
>>
I want to get comfortable with compiling my own software. I'm thinking about installing Linux From Scratch on a virtual box. Will I learn valuable material by doing so, or will I just be alt-tabbed most of the time while everything compiles?
>>
File: 1461576392080.jpg (239 KB, 848x848) Image search: [Google]
1461576392080.jpg
239 KB, 848x848
I've started using Lubuntu installed on a VM for basic web dev shit but it feels like it's way too barebones. Which distro should I install next?
>>
>>55126501
LfS or at least Gentoo
>>
>>55126440
Steam runs natively as do most Valve games and over 2000 of existing steam games.

Skype runs natively but it's several versions behind, this is both a good and bad thing.
>>
>>55126440
Sure you can! Fist off, you need to buy some vaseline, so your mouth can stay open 24/7 waiting for corporate cock. It's also a good idea to learn breathing with large things inside your mouth, if you want to run Steam or Skype on a regular basis

Also make sure to dress nicely for the NSA.
>>
>>55126501
If you want to stay in the buntu family, Xubuntu is the next step up as far as flesh. Then Ubuntu MATE, Ubuntu GNOME, Kubuntu, and vanilla Ubuntu.
>>
>>55126501

You're an idiot.
Everything that you install on those "non-barebone" distributions can be installed on Lubuntu. Secondly, you don't even know what you want to make your operating system less "barebones". Maybe you should first figure that out before randomly switching to a different distribution and thinking it will solve your "problem".
>>
>>55126492
>comfortable with compiling my own software
Rather than going all out with LFS, I suggest you just take a look at your installed packages and check which one of them is older than upstream. Clone the repo and follow the installation instructions.

That being said, most of the time it's just a combination of running configure, make, cmake, and launching your package manager because you're missing obscure-library-devel.
>>
File: rilay.jpg (7 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
rilay.jpg
7 KB, 480x360
>>55126518
>>
I recently installed Ubuntu 16.04 on a an old used HP probook 6475b.
No major problems yet except from one. When I try to turn my pc on it loads the screen from where you can press esc (or del or whatever) to go into BIOS, but after that the screen just goes black as when the power is off, even though it is still trying to boot. And it stays that way. It takes no input and I just have to use hard shutdown (holding my power button in for a few seconds until it turns off). When it has turned off now, I can then turn it on again, and it boots normally.

When I do boot it up successfully on a second attempt there is a brief moment with some code before the OS loads, and I cant read it fully, but it mentions something about sda1 (not sure if that is related at all).
It seems strange because while I cant boot up the first time, I can the second time I try after having forced a hard shutdown on the first failed attempt.
>>
>>55126540
I like this idea, thank you.
>>
>>55126586
Maybe the first boot attempt is coming from a standby or hibernation? Check the default power button action, if you're shutting down that way.
>>
>>55126518
>muh tinfoilhat
fuck off stallmanis
>>
>>55126618
>>55126542
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proprietary_software
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_%28surveillance_program%29
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
>>55126333
Everything fails.
>>55126586
Fucking lucky I can't even get past installing
>>
>>55126638
Face it, friend, the fight for freedom is a losing battle. The vast majority of people just don't care -- and soon, those who do care will represent a small enough group to be singled out and surveilled manually.
>>
>>55126618
Seriously. There are some things you should avoid and these are stuff like Steam, Skype, Flash, Photoshop, Sublime etc. There's no point in using GNU/Linux if you're going to install the same malware like oon Windows when free software replacements are available.
>>
>>55126409
ctrl-alt-f2
>>
>>55126347
I got the same message again

>grub-efi-amd64-signed failed to install
>>
>>55126736
what is the EXACT command you are using?
>>
File: KP-Programmer-NBPA.png (4 KB, 700x240) Image search: [Google]
KP-Programmer-NBPA.png
4 KB, 700x240
I'm tired using of Terminus font throughout my system.

What other monospaced fonts do you guys recommend?
>>
>>55126692
Wait 10 or 20 years, when the web is completly censorshiped and monitored. Then people will blog about how Stallman was right, but then it's too late. And you will hate yourself for shitposting about the pedophile neckbeard RMS, having no idea about real life - memes.
>>
>>55126685
add modprobe.blacklist=ath to the kernel command line in grub
>>
>>55126778
>shitposting about the pedophile neckbeard RMS
I don't do this, but I agree with you.
>>
>>55126776
roboto mono

>>55126778
this

if you have any foresight about the direction of computing and how it will control our lives in the 'age of abundance' you will be scared shitless that the population is fine running proprietary code, even for basic shit such as hardware interfaces
>>
>>55126795
>>55126778
Wrong quoted?
>>
File: fgjdeer.png (76 KB, 1091x766) Image search: [Google]
fgjdeer.png
76 KB, 1091x766
I recently installed ubuntu to my old computer is this considered normal ?
how many partitions should I have , what the fuck is the 1.1 thing.
I just picked erase disk and install ubuntu
>>
>>55125921
>>55125979
>>55126077
Thanks, dudes and dudettes.
>>
>>55119368
Is pulseaudio a meme?
>>
>>55126878
>asking for 50 shitposts about systemd
Fuck you.
>>
So a while back someone showed how to add a new mode in linux for a monitor but ive seemed to misplace the code they gave me can some one show me how to get my monitor at 2048x1536@75Hz
>>
>>55126892
Hey - I don't know shit. I just want my question answered.
If pulseaudio is a meme, how to get rid of it?
>>
>>55126759
I was just using the GUI installer.

After some searching it seems to be a bug that happens when you install amd64 ubuntu without internet connection.
>>
>>55126847

here is what it looks like now I installed some meme programs
>>
>>55126942
do you need a sound proxy/mixer?

then use it

don't?

then don't
>>
>>55126967
that's fine anon

quit worrying
>>
>type pip to see if it's already installed on Fedora for whatever reason
>it's not, but Fedora knows what package it is a part of and offers to install it
I like, I like
>>
>>55126778
Why i stallman not putting up millions of dollars to fight Big Tech to follow GPL?
Why is stallman ont putting up millions of dollars to boycott the internet, and the mass spying he hates?
Oh wait, he uses the internet.
Oh wait, he wont put up any of his money to fight any of the things be constantly bitches about
He is the bigghest passive agressive faggot i have every seen

Until he does this, he is the biggest hypocrite
>>
>>55126501
>but it feels like it's way too barebones
m8, you don't even know what barebones is
>>
>>55126617
I'm not shutting down that way, I use the shut down option inside the OS, when I'm turning my computer off plus it seems like my computer does turn fully off because all lights are off and its completely quiet.
>>
>>55127157
t. /g/ Technology Expert
>>
>>55127192
>defending stallman
>>
>>55127202
>baiting with nothing on the hook
>>
So I recently learned that Linux has a "swappiness" parameter that can be adjusted from anywhere to "swap only to avoid OOM" up to very aggressive swapping.

What's the use case of this? I thought the whole point of swapping was that it's a "don't do this unless you really have to" facility. Why would someone want their kernel to swap more when it wasn't forced to by memory pressure?
>>
>>55127381
because some things are just as well swapped out as being left in RAM

if you are multitasking a lot, it's better to have free RAM available to processes that should be stored in RAM at the expense of keeping memory you access infrequently on the disk
>>
http://www.linuxatemyram.com/
>>
What's the best video player for GNU/Linux?
>>
>>55127644
mpv
>>
>>55127679
this
>>
>>55127644
see
>>55127679
>>55127719
If you're new or just prefer graphical things, check this list https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/mpv#Front_ends
>>
>>55127679
>>55127719
>>55127741
mpv will do just fine, thanks anons
>>
>>55127644
vlc
>>
File: readImage?iid=57570410.jpg (130 KB, 543x405) Image search: [Google]
readImage?iid=57570410.jpg
130 KB, 543x405
>>55127855
>>
>>55127876
don't let your dreams be dreams
>>
>>55127741
which one is the better one ? I am new and don't really have a video player, it plays youtube right ?
>>
>>55128012
>which one is the better one ? I am new and don't really have a video player, it plays youtube right ?
just mpv. Also install youtube-dl.
>>
>>55128065

oki thx
>>
How to connect to wifi on Ubuntu mate16.04 ? I just installed it, but my network doesn't show up to connect anywhere?
>>
>>55128294
Do you mean that there are no wireless networks/interfaces showing in the network manager applet?

It's possible that you need to install the drivers for your card.
>>
Is there a way to get Compton in a nice spoonfed package without having to get all the dependencies first?
>>
You now realize that it's not actually GNU/Linux unless you use GNOME/gtk use GNU software for pretty much every major function, right down to using networkmanager (GNOME project, GNU by extension) for all your networking instead of wpa_supplicant, conman, or systemd, and using an init written by GNU or a nongnu init that uses bash scripts.

The "base system", or the set of programs needed to make a functional multitasking OS you can install, run, and manage programs on, has almost no GNU except for a few libraries. Only when you add arbitrary criteria like "must be POSIX compatible" do GNU's contributions count towards over half the base system, especially now that systemd has deprecated and eliminated shell-based init scripts.

The properly credit allocating name is closer to GNU/everyone else/linux.
>>
>>55128352
Nothing is showing up, where would I find the drivers for the card?
>>
>>55128457
k
>>
>>55128477
Depends on the card. If you don't know what model it is, you can type
lspci

in a terminal and look for any device related to networking. From there, we can try to locate your drivers.
>>
>>55128504
It shows Qualcomm atheros AR8132 fast Ethernet as the only network related thing
>>
>>55128359

pacman -S compton
>>
>>55127157
stallman is not a philosophically pure person. he follows his ideals when convenient, and ignores them or slightly alters them when the conflict isn't worth it.

stallman is an egoist in denial, afraid of admitting that he just wants some fucking source code instead of a world where he has to rely on other people because he knows he wouldn't get it that way.

his system has some practical merits but his attempts at creating moral justifications are completely pathetic and nonsensical. how low do you have to be to have to make up bullshit "oughts" when you can just say "it would be fucking better"?
>>
>>55128504
>>55128564
I tried a live usb with fedora (what I was going to install) and my card showed up as am atheros AR9285 and scanned networks, and connected to wifi no problem.
After rebooting into mate again, wifi was working. No idea how it works now... Thanks for the help anon
>>
>>55128457
You are now aware that the base OS is just the Linux kernel plus GNU utilities and libs. Everything else varies from distro to distro, (sometimes even the kernel itself).
You also realize that an operating system is something the user never interacts with; an operating systems job is to manage and allocate software calls to hardware and back. The operating system is not your DE, or any other additional program.
>>
GNU's Not Unix
>>
>>55129451
Amen.
>>
Ey lads,
I'm trying to boot into Linux on my friend's Microshit surface, and we can't get the keyboard to work in the display manager even though it works on GRUB. Disabling the quiet boot parameter shows nothing but an error with i2c_hid. We're booting from an external hard drive hooked up by USB and we have a USB keyboard, but can't boot into it if we use a hub. Any ideas for troubleshooting?
>>
>>55129583
remove your dm. which kernel are you running? Which device?
>>
File: 1445353808602.jpg (76 KB, 850x400) Image search: [Google]
1445353808602.jpg
76 KB, 850x400
>>55128992
I'm bored so let's play.

>stallman is not a philosophically pure person. he follows his ideals when convenient, and ignores them or slightly alters them when the conflict isn't worth it.
Proof?

>stallman is an egoist in denial, afraid of admitting that he just wants some fucking source code instead of a world where he has to rely on other people because he knows he wouldn't get it that way.
That's actually Linus ideology. Linus is the open source guy who just wants source code back - RMS doesn't care about getting something back, market share, credit or anything, his goal is free computing for everyone. The only reason he interjects people is to make them aware of the history of GNU, Linux and why software freedom is important.

>his system has some practical merits but his attempts at creating moral justifications are completely pathetic and nonsensical. how low do you have to be to have to make up bullshit "oughts" when you can just say "it would be fucking better"?
You should watch some of his speeches, that may help you to understand his intentions and goal.
I suggest a short video some anon posted a while back in this thread: https://audio-video.gnu.org/video/stallman-software-freedom-day.ogv

Enjoy.
>>
>>55129707
Not him, but Stallman is a massive hypocrite.
Source: his disdain for people who want open-source hardware.
>>
>>55129728
You're refering to the GPLv3 preventing tivoization?
>>
>>55129746
Not at all. It's said that one of the things that made Stallman desire open-source software was printer problems.
Then one day he said "it doesn't matter to me if people don't have the firmware to their microwave ovens"
and also:
"Free hardware doesn't matter because it would still cost money"
>>
File: Screenshot_20160617-010728.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160617-010728.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
Is it worth upgrading from 14.04 to 16.04? I don't really want to reinstall.
>>
>>55129812
1604 is shit
>>
>>55129812
>reinstall

isn't there an upgrade mechanism?

non-systemd distros are going to get left behind but if that doesn't matter to you then just stick with it
>>
>>55129657
Kernel 4.6.2-1. We're using the cover keyboard that comes with the surface.
>>
>>55129835
Why is it shit?

>>55129837
>isn't there an upgrade mechanism?
It's recommended to reinstall instead of upgrade for big changes

>non-systemd distros are going to get left behind
A sad truth
>>
>>55129856
which surface i mean. Did you search for similar issues already?
>>
>>55129783
First of all, RMS doesn't support the open source thing, since it doesn't aim for software freedom https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.en.html. Second, the printer story was actually like this: RMS was using a printer at work, and since he was a hacker, he modified the printer's software to make it send notifications to other computers at events, like, when printing was ready. One day the people got a new printer, but this time the source was proprietary and he couldn't patch it. Everyone was pissed and so was RMS. Pissed enough to start GNU.
>"Free hardware doesn't matter because it would still cost money"
Pretty sure that he never said something like that since it's pretty obvious that free software isn't about price. There are even FSF approved shops for free hardware like this one: https://minifree.org/
>>
>>55129867
Read the catalog and archives
>>
>>55130047
Nothing there in that shop link is free hardware, bub.
Free hardware means having all the blueprints to the hardware.
Stallman has, until very, very recently, shown disdain to anyone whom has desired free hardware.

http://www.linuxtoday.com/infrastructure/1999062200505NWLF
>I see no social imperative for free hardware designs
>Freedom to copy hardware is not as important
>>
>>55130131
>Free hardware means having all the blueprints to the hardware.
And here I'm finished with this discussion.
Have a nice day.
>>
>>55130167
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-source_hardware
>>
>>55129919
Surface 4, and yes, but I haven't found anything yet
>>
>>55130226
That Open Source Hardware thing is actually pretty interesting, but I guess RMS doesn't care about it, since there's no software involved that could do things the user wouldn't be able to control. What's your source of RMS' statement to the whole thing? I'd like to read more about the topic.
>>
>>55130362
Jesus, missed the link there >>55130131
Nevermind!
>>
>>55130362
It's hard to find some of the stuff since he's actually warmed up to open hardware very recently. For example:
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-hardware-designs.en.html
I still feel his views on hardware are very weak. He thinks it only will matter when people can make their own hardware, when open hardware could help people as soon as today.

https://stallman.org/stallman-computing.html
ctrl-f for microwave in the above and below articles
https://interviews.slashdot.org/story/14/05/05/2012218/richard-stallman-answers-your-questions
http://www.redditblog.com/2010/07/rms-ama.html

RMS continually shows that he doesn't care about freedom if the current product doesn't allow changing firmware or software. He doesn't even think "maybe the product could allow future users to change the firmware or software"
He just gives up and says "may as well pretend it's hardware, and may as well pretend closed-source hardware is OK"
>>
>>55130226
Well, he's basically right. Take the four freedoms and try to apply them to hardware. It simply doesn't work. You can't modify, copy or share a motherboard with your neighbor, so why would it be important to make open source hardware? That's like providing blue prints of a chair - no fucks given, except for people who like to build chairs in their garage.
>>
>>55130535
>I'm fine with hardware trojans and hardware malware sending information to the NSA without the OS knowing
Pro tip: I'm quoting you.
>>
>>55130557
If you really think hardware can execute itself without soft or firmware, I have bad news for you.
>>
>>55130573
>what is an ASIC
>what is any electronic circuit
>>
>>55130598
Well yes. You won. Now I'm afraid that my dental fillings are sending radio signals with my geolocation to the NSA. Thanks.
>>
>>55130598
Memes aside, give RMS some days. He's getting old. I'll follow the topic from now on, thanks!
>>
>>55130658
kek and
>>55130705
Seconded.
>>
File: wtf.jpg (22 KB, 495x600) Image search: [Google]
wtf.jpg
22 KB, 495x600
I tried to look for info about this but I didn't succeed, sorry.
I have a Lenovo IdeaPad Flex10 with win10 and I wanna put Xubuntu on it but I'm not sure I'll be able to do it, since it has a 32-bit UEFI, being a 64-bit system itself. I've read installing a 64-bit Linux in a computer with a 32-bit UEFI it's pretty complicated, so I'm thinking about just installing the 32-bit version of Xubuntu, but I'm not sure if it'll work. Can you throw me some light?

pic unrelated
>>
File: Quake1cover.jpg (137 KB, 288x334) Image search: [Google]
Quake1cover.jpg
137 KB, 288x334
Trying to compile a Quake source port, apparently built in SDL.

Long story short, the moment I try to >make it, it gives me errors that say

"sdl-config: Command not found"

Theoretically I already have SDL installed, as I went to the SDL wiki and followed their instructions to install "libsdl2-2.0" and "libsdl2-dev". Otherwise, I don't know what the discrepancy is.
>>
>>55131008
QuakeSpasm, I guess I should have said.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.