[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/ipfsg/ - Interplanteray File System General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28
File: ipfs-logo.png (24 KB, 640x256) Image search: [Google]
ipfs-logo.png
24 KB, 640x256
/gnunet/ here
we /ipfs/ nao
"I don't have the OP copypasta and it's not on the wiki" edition
r8, h8, comiser8
>>
>>51459722
>What is IPFS?
It's basically BitTorrent on steroids.

>why would one use it
* Distributed, decentralized filesharing (for now - ipfs is merely the communication protocol, and additional applications can exist on top of it).
* You can have a mutable address (i.e. always points to the latest version of a site), or a static address (points to a specific file). Yes, you can host sites over IPFS.
* Peers are found fast for new downloads. You don't need to wait that much to start a download.
* You can watch your animu while it downloads, I watched few episodes that way and it didn't even buffer.

>how to upload a single file
$ ipfs add ./$file
Access it at localhost:8080/ipfs/$outputted-hash
>how to upload a dir
$ ipfs add -r ./$dir
Access it at localhost:8080/ipfs/$last-outputted-hash
>how to make the thing mutable
$ ipfs name publish ./$file-or-dir-hash
Access it at localhost:8080/ipns/$output-hash-aka-peerid (it's ipNs not ipFs)
To update, publish another hash and it will be available at the same IPNS address.

>gateways (how to access IPFS if you don't have it installed)
https://gateway.ipfs.io/

>most recent talk about it by the dev
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUVmypx9HGI [Embed]

>I2P and Tor support coming soon™. We need that thing anonymous so pls halp.
https://github.com/ipfs/go-ipfs/issues/1118
https://github.com/ipfs/notes/issues/37
https://github.com/jbenet/go-multiaddr-net/issues/7

Daily reminder to pin files that you care about.

Some links in next post.
>>
>>51459788
Some 8chen anon's ipfs website, has some info, links and files (breaking up the links to avoid the filter):
ipfs.io/ipfs/QmP7LM9yH
gVivJoUs48oqe2bmMbaYccGU
cadhq8ptZFpcD/

Some links from that selection:
All atari games, over IPFS!
ipfs.io/ipfs/QmbKxNNCxBox7
Cmv3jiUZbiG3zpzmtnYz
VUuKHxfAjvpyH/

do/k/ument:
ipfs.io/ipfs/QmSTEUc53
GVQhWTCRc5wZpdhQjDzpgW
Hv56GaNBheqKBHG/

/g/entoomen library:
ipfs.io/ipfs/QmTmMhRv2nh
889JfYBWXdxSvNS6zWnh
4QFo4Q2knV7Ei2B/

First season of SAC:
ipfs.io/ipfs/QmVBEScm197eQ
iqgUpstf9baFAaEnhQC
gzHKiXnkCoED2c/

He's a big file:
ipfs.io/ipfs/QmfWQHVazH6so9
p27z27rr8TJSdBFGpH7hu
nDcaZ1EAQ2c/The.Dark.Knight.Rises.2012.720p.BluRay.x264.YIFY.mp4

My site, an index of files and other sites. If you want to be included, reply to this post:
ipfs.io/ipns/QmaGks9KKzu2
WykHQjJFJkcUAN4ZoF7ok
9h2hXj1WQn47U/
>>
>>51459850
Previous thread: >>51444075
>>
>>51459788
Thx m8.
>>
This should explain things very well and answer a lot of questions.
http://blog.neocities.org/its-time-for-the-permanent-web.html
>>
Is /gnunet/ dead?
>>
File: ipfs mpv.resize.webm (3 MB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
ipfs mpv.resize.webm
3 MB, 1440x810
reposting
>>
>>51459946
Aside from neocities now using ipfs in the backend, there's ipfs.pics, an image sharing service that runs on ipfs.
>>
>>51460002
I learn a new tld every day.
>>
>>51459996
That is quite nice. Assuming the show is already downloaded, I wonder how fast it would be to stream it.
>>
>>51459996
Also, what animu is that?
>>
>>51460176
It's GITS - SaC (ipfs.io/ipns/QmaGks9KKzu2WykH
QjJFJkcUAN4ZoF7ok9h2h
Xj1WQn47U/ links it, or more directly at ipfs.io/ipfs/QmVBEScm197eQi
qgUpstf9baFAaEnhQCg
zHKiXnkCoED2c )
>>
>>51460161
If it's already downloaded, then it's realtime obviously. If it's not already downloaded, see the webm.
>>
Is this and GNUnet the same thing?
>>
>>51460215
I worded that pretty confusingly. My bad. I meant I was assuming the webm had it pre downloaded. As that was really fast.

So I was wondering how fast it was not pre-downloaded.
>>
>>51460229
Mostly. There are a few difference, and IPFS is not encrypted at all.
>>
>>51460246
IPFS is completely encrypted, but doesn't hide IPs.
>>
File: ipfs.png (16 KB, 640x256) Image search: [Google]
ipfs.png
16 KB, 640x256
>>51459722
the white text is barely visible on yotsuba b
replaced it with #6a6a6a
>>
>>51460260
Oh. Thank you for correcting me. Didnt know that.
>>
>>51460232
It depends on the speed of the peers that have it. That file in particular seems to be getting high speeds.

>>51460246
>>51460260
Related to this if you want anonymity see the note about i2p in the OP.
>>
>>51460261
That looks terrible. All those jagged edges. Ever heard of anti-aliasing?
>>
Are you able to download an entire folder at a time? Or does that only work with files?

Im looking to upload an anime, but I dont want to force the user to download every episode separately. Do I need to zip em up?
>>
>>51460002
>>51460062
brb reserving dick.pics and tit.pics
>>
File: qlwmpq.png (44 KB, 965x441) Image search: [Google]
qlwmpq.png
44 KB, 965x441
>>51460541
they're in the original image too, genius
>>
>>51460541
Alright /gd/ you do it better.
>>
File: 11375317750.png (16 KB, 825x413) Image search: [Google]
11375317750.png
16 KB, 825x413
>>51460599
Way less.
>>
>>51460620
Its the same. Background just makes it seem like not.
>>
Connecting to IPNS is super slow. Even when I connect to my own. Anyone know why?
>>
>>51460591
You can add a directory recursively and pin directories recursively which downloads everything in/beneath it. All someone would have to do is pin your directory hash, they an also mount it and then symlink the directory hash to a friendlier name/location.

If you're on Windows you'll need this patch for adding recursively though.
https://github.com/ipfs/go-ipfs/pull/1933
>>
>>51460649
There seems to be a bug in the current release which makes ipns resolution pretty slow.
>>
File: supgwb.png (87 KB, 1349x656) Image search: [Google]
supgwb.png
87 KB, 1349x656
>>
>>51460671
Drat. Thats fairly annoying.
>>
File: gmpxmf.png (62 KB, 1176x560) Image search: [Google]
gmpxmf.png
62 KB, 1176x560
>>
/g/ you're supposed to be professional logo designers, someone fix this NOW
>>
File: hhaslb.png (68 KB, 1349x656) Image search: [Google]
hhaslb.png
68 KB, 1349x656
>>
>>51460715
You're thinking of /gnunet/
>>
>>51460541
... It looks fine anon, what are you talking about?
Maybe it's time to get off of your 1080p meme monitor and get something better, baka...
>>
File: 1448148012332.png (14 KB, 640x256) Image search: [Google]
1448148012332.png
14 KB, 640x256
>>51459722
Please refrain from posting unoptimized PNGs.
Thank you.
>>
>>51461100
optimize THIS *whips out dick*
>>
>>51460663
>mount it and then symlink the directory hash to a friendlier name/location
I'm going to install dokan and try this out actually.
>>
>>51461279
Sorry anon, no algorithm can get the size of your dick any smaller than it already is.
>>
What files should we upload next? Or what type of files? Movies? Tv shows? More anime? More books?
>>
>>51459996
You can also use
$ ipfs cat HASH | mpv -
. Substitute mpv for any other program that doesn't understand http URIs, but does support reading files from stdin.
>>
File: 2015-11-21_20-05-45.png (130 KB, 588x399) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-21_20-05-45.png
130 KB, 588x399
>>
>>51462269
Pipes are great.

>>51462367
Yeah like that but with an ipfs url.
>>
>>51460663
has anyone managed to compile the client on windows?

this is what I'm hitting when i try

go get -u github.com/ipfs/go-ipfs/cmd/ipfs

# github.com/ipfs/go-ipfs/Godeps/_workspace/src/bazil.org/fuse
D:\Go\path\src\github.com\ipfs\go-ipfs\Godeps\_workspace\src\bazil.org\fuse\erro
r_std.go:27: undefined: errNoXattr
D:\Go\path\src\github.com\ipfs\go-ipfs\Godeps\_workspace\src\bazil.org\fuse\fuse
.go:1092: undefined: attr
D:\Go\path\src\github.com\ipfs\go-ipfs\Godeps\_workspace\src\bazil.org\fuse\fuse
_kernel.go:152: undefined: syscall.O_ACCMODE
_kernel.go:378: undefined: attr

As far as I know FUSE doesn't work on Windows. Workarounds?
>>
>>51462419
go get -u github.com/ipfs/go-ipfs/cmd/ipfs -tags nofuse

If you want to add recursivley fetch this patch too.
https://github.com/ipfs/go-ipfs/pull/1933

Windows issues are being posted here
https://github.com/ipfs/go-ipfs/issues/959
>>
>>51462459
cool shit, worked like a charm
>>
/ipfs/QmYH5JbEnR1M3L8BLZG MSTtyc6MNCzGm7SxYzADDDtCaXY

So, say I wanted to use a static site generator (Jekyll, Hakyll, etc) to publish, say, a blog to IPFS, I'd first have to figure out how to make the server save the site as a file, and then just run ipfs add and ipfs publish? Is this correct?
>>
>>51462570
Basically, yes.
>>
>>51462598
I'm thinking. If you wanted to create a website with user generated content, wouldn't you still need a centralized platform?

The server would take, say, a comment submitted from a user, append that comment to a thread html file, and then publish it.

Wouldn't this get unwieldy very quickly?
>>
>>51462598
Nice, thanks! I'll see if I can find a server that allows that, then.

>>51462662
That's what IPNS is for. Every node gets to associate a single object with a static address (based on their public key). The association is mutable and really fast, so every time the site is updated, you could have the static address point to the new, updated object. Every previous version of the site would also remain addressable via their IPFS URI. Support for multiple IPNS addresses for the same node seems to be in the works too.
>>
>>51462662
Reminder 4chan actually works this way. The only difference is after generation the generated html has to be hashed then the ipns has to be updated to point to a new ipfs hash. The 2 additional steps are not very intense so it shouldn't be a big problem.

For dynamic content stuff you should look over these
https://github.com/ipfs/faq/issues/28
https://github.com/ipfs/specs/issues/28
https://github.com/ipfs/ipfs/issues/103
but I can try to help too.
>>
>>51462570
>>51462598
>>51462728
Just remember to use relative paths and/or ipfs hash links for all your resources.
>>
>>51462737
I'm a bit more concerned with performance.

What this means is that basically the entire object must be re-transmitted across the network. Every time a post would be added, the entire thread would be transmitted.

Perhaps you could save each post under and individual thread folder.

<node>/ipfs/<thread-id>/posts

This folder would contain the individual posts, and then you could serve a .js file that will build the webpage from the individual posts, and check for new ones to add to the page. Does IPFS have a way to request a directory list based on publishing date? E.G, omit objects published before a certain date?

On an unrelated note, are there any plans in the works to encourage seeding? Obviously when the protocol is new more people will be well-behaved, but if it becomes popular it will obviously attract bad actors. BitTorrent usually solves this problem through private trackers that track participation. Would something like this be possible with IPFS?
>>
>>51462570
It's simple, simply make a folder (say, site) with an index.html, and then
$ ipfs add -r site
added ... ...
added ... ...
added ... ...
added ... ...
added XXX site

$ ipfs name publish XXX
Published to YYY: XXX

And then share YYY with us. When you update your blog, repeat the add and publish steps.
>>
>>51462851
I'm not sure how directory listings are handled exactly but they may be inherently sorted by date, with that in mind I think you could walk through the objects and simply fetch the ones you don't currently have.
Check a directory hash with this
ipfs object get *hash*

There may be ways to do what you want using their library, another thing that comes to mind is the video streaming idea being thrown around in issue 103 and the idea of pub/sub
https://github.com/ipfs/notes/issues/64

The latter may be what you need for this.

>BitTorrent usually solves this problem through private trackers that track participation. Would something like this be possible with IPFS?
Yes, you can set up your own private swarm if you like, I believe you can do that now even. Another thing to look into is filecoin, while not really related it's an incentive to act as a mirror for someone. With filecoin you contribute disk, bandwidth, and uptime and get rewarded with filecoins which in turn can be used to purchase the same thing or possibly be exchanged for money. So if you wanted me to host your file for 10 days I'd ask you for some amount of filecoins then host it, they validate this somehow but I haven't looked into it myself yet. It's like people do today with mirror servers and load balancers but I doubt it will actually be required.
>>
>>51459722
How advisable would it be to host a portfolio style website on ipfs? I think just using the technology would impress potential employers
>>
>>51462978
>added XXX site
>XXX site
Yes please.
>>
This looks cool as shit. Just checked the README.md on git. I like the p2p truly decentralized nature but what gets it good download speeds? For BitTorrent I was under the impression the great download speeds were due largely to its distributed nature. Wouldn't you be downloading a movie directly from 1 peer and only from 1 peer in IPFS?
>>
>>51462851
When you share a directory, you're only really sharing a set of links to ipfs nodes. These ipfs nodes are content-addressed, such that your files will not need to be redistributed if they are already in the network and haven't changed (it's the same file!). Seeding as of now is automatic (you cache anything you request and serve it automatically, until you reach 90% of your cache capacity, at which point content is garbage collected).
>>
>>51463046
Absolutely not, you download from many peers at once. That's one of the main point about ipfs. Another is that due to node caches, you're downloading from locations as close to you as possible.
>>
>>51463046
>>51463089
>you're downloading from locations as close to you as possible.
Given that I live with multiple people this one of my favorite features. Instead of going out ot the internet for both people only 1 has to do it, everyone else retrieves the stuff over the local network. A good example is that ghost in the shell link, if I downloaded all of it then sent it to someone else in the house they'd get it at local speeds from me directly, no internet required.
>>
>>51463012
I don't see why not, sounds like a good idea even.

If you do, you could add a link to your IPNS path in a TXT record for your own domain, which gives you a human-readable name that you can include in your resume.

For example, if you add
"dnslink=/ipns/QmZvTPcT2Yi3gN27ihRUG9nDaz HWSzKT1YQHre5dXqyX1H"

(without the space) as a TXT record for example.com, you could access the file via /ipns/example.com (or http://ipfs.io/ipns/example.com).
>>
>>51463203
This works for IPFS paths too, of course, in case you want a link to an immutable file.
>>
meh, the one thing ipfs has going for it is hype, but its implementation and technical leadership are really lacking. https://github.com/ipfs/go-ipfs/issues/875 makes it exceedingly difficult to deal with lots of data (1TB+), and https://github.com/ipfs/go-ipfs/issues/1750 sucks for lots of files.

If someone spent just a little bit of effort making a fancy HTTP/CLI interface for the experimental mutable torrent features in libtorrent, you'd have essentially ipfs, but with far more robust p2p and DHT code.
>>
>>51463274
It's alpha software, the issues are being addressed, and they're not even particularly bad and nowhere near as gamebreaking as you imply them to be. That you think mutable torrents could be anywhere near as robust as ipfs, let alone more, is laughable.
>>
This needs to be easier to use. This is P2P. We NEED to appeal to less tech-savvy people in order to have it succeed. A handful of neckbeards running Arch on beat-up Thinkpads can't make a P2P network to rival BitTorrent.

Ease of use should be a very high priority.
>>
>>51463791
What do you propose?

Some sort of ipfs client that looks/acts like torrent clients do?
>>
>>51463791
It's already easier to use than torrents, though. You can browse files directly and download whatever you want just as if it were a direct download, uploading files is a simple drag and drop.
>>
>>51463791
>A handful of neckbeards running Arch on beat-up Thinkpads can't make a P2P network to rival BitTorrent.
Who do you think these peers are in bittorrent?
>>
>>51464191
They're probably not normies, but 90% of them use fucking uTorrent. They are not tech people.
>>
How can I contribute to IPFS? Running nodes or some shit?
>>
>>51464278
The end goal of this project is to have browser integration, it already has a webui which is usable and can only improve. Right now it has to be technically good so that people adopt it, only after that would it be considered for browser integration by browser vendors, once that's done people would be using it without having to know anything at all.

As it stand right now all you have to do anyway is download and run the daemon and you're set, this could easily be wrapped in an installer that sets it up as a system service. The plugins that redirect links from the gateway to the local daemon are great for adoption too since you can send anyone a gateway link and they'll receive the file with or without ipfs, the ones that do use it see the benefits while the ones who don't will not miss out on anything either.
>>
>>51464377
Serve your own stuff via IPFS, pin things instead of bookmarking, so that you'll help create persistent files. Just running a node will help the DHT, but nothing more.
>>
>>51463816
We need a native Windows client that's easy to download and easy to use, that's how we get the casuals to start using it for file downloading.

For website serving, we need to make firefox support dns + ipfs, once it's proven stable, chrome will also support it, and from there it's already guaranteed to succeed.
>>
>>51464421
i'm running the daemon. even though it's just idling, it's consuming a lot of cpu and bandwidth. what causes this?
>>
How does IPFS handle collisions? If you have 2 files with the same hash... does it just shit itself?
>>
>>51464597
2 different files*, obviously
>>
>>51464583
Probably the DHT, how much are we talking about? It's worth noting this is currently alpha software so an optimization pass has yet to happen.
>>
>>51464597
If theyve got the same hash, they will be treated as the same file. People requesting that hash will get it from both those sources.
>>
>>51464597
>>51464634
https://github.com/ipfs/faq/issues/24
>>
When you add a file to ipfs, does it copy the file to the cache? Or will it seed it from the files original location?
>>
>>51464597
>If you have 2 files with the same hash
That should never happen, but if it does you'll just get one of them depending on which is "closest" to you at the time
>>
>>51464686
The former.
>>
>>51464708
O shit. Time to cancel that 2 TB upload.
>>
root@localhost:~# ipfs get QmfWQHVazH6so9p27z27rr8TJSdBFGpH7hunDcaZ1EAQ2c
Error: merkledag: not found

wat do
>>
>>51464764
cri
>>
>>51464686
>>51464715
In place uploading is planned just fyi.
https://github.com/ipfs/go-ipfs/issues/875

>>51464764
>root
Also you have a space in the hash, remove that.
>>
>>51464789
VPS machine, dude
>>
>>51464764
Getting same, wtf

>>51464789
no spaces here, same error
>>
>>51464597
If they are different by a single byte they will have a totally different hash.
>>
>>51464833
Try restarting daemon
>>
>>51464833
I solved it by starting the daemon, it wasn't running.

>>51464835
You're obviously retarded. A collision is possible with any hash.
>>
>>51464836
there we go

Shit's slow.
>>
>>51464850
>A collision is possible with any hash.
Well why don't you come back in a few billion years when you've managed to find a SHA256 hash collision then
>>
>>51464916
SHA1 collisions are already being found with modified IV.

We're not talking about collisions generated randomly, but crafted collisions. Which ipfs doesn't seem to care too much about...
>>
>>51464897
I doubt many people are mirroring the dark night, that GITS was fast though.
>>
>>51464924
>Which ipfs doesn't seem to care too much about
Because it's not a concern and won't be for thousands of years
>>
>>51464938
Are you literally brain dead? Can't you read? *Crafted* collisions to SHA256 are a decade or two away. They must be able to handle them nicely now.
>>
>>51464924
They don't care right now for 2 reasons, they can always swap out the hash and the security audits haven't happened yet, that would be closer to release.
>>
>>51464932
not even downloading, just trying to get anything to show up
>>
>>51464924
you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about if you think finding SHA1 collisions is anything remotely close to finding SHA256 collisions.

>>51464950
>*Crafted* collisions to SHA256 are a decade or two away.
Okay yeah, confirmed for retarded and having no idea what you're talking about. How about you do some basic research before you go running your mouth?
>>
>>51464960
Something may be wrong then, file directories are so small that they're almost always instantaneous.
>>
>>51464974
"Hurr durr no one has published a paper yet, that means SHA-256 still has 128 bits of entropy"

>>>/trash/
>>
>>51464950
>Can't you read?
Can't you?

"Lets assume that the entire bitcoin mining economy decides to try and find an ipfs object hash collision, checking hashes at a rate of 400 Petahash (400,000,000,000,000,000 hashes per second) it would take them 2.8*10^59 seconds, or 9*10^51 years to compute the entire space. Even factoring in the birthday paradox and moores law, we shouldnt need to worry about that happening for a few thousand years or so."
>>
>>51464998
You still can't read. We're not talking about bruteforcing a hash, but a crafted attack based on exploiting the way SHA-2 works. Do you think MD5 collisions are generated by testing every single possibility? Retard.
>>
>>51465009
You're going to have to explain this vector if you're so confident in it.
>>
>>51465009
>but a crafted attack based on exploiting the way SHA-2 works
The only way to craft a SHA256 hash collision is to brute force it. There is no weakness in the SHA-2 algorithm that can possibly extend past 54 rounds, and 64 rounds are used.
>>
>>51465056
Do I have to fucking draw it to you? You can *very* easily craft 2 files with the same MD5 hash [1], because of a flaw in the algorithm. Now, imagine that a flaw like that is found in SHA-256. You don't need to bruteforce hashes to find a collision.

>>51465070
>>but a crafted attack based on exploiting the way SHA-2 works
>The only way to craft a SHA256 hash collision is to brute force it. There is no weakness in the SHA-2 algorithm that can possibly extend past 54 rounds, and 64 rounds are used.

"hurr durr I read on wikipedia this and this and I'm gonna make wild assumptions"

Shut the fuck up. You don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>51464850
>>51464950
>>51464988
>>51465009
>I have no idea what I'm talking about but everyone else is retarded except me
Fuck off
>>
this sounds really unsecure
>>
>>51464984
One listing comes up fairly quickly, the rest just don't.
>>
>>51465082
Shit, forgot to add citation, fuck it, just google it.

>>51465084
It is the truth, though. You can't trust you're never getting collisions, you need to handle that some way or another, not just let it explode.
>>
>>51465082
>Now, imagine that a flaw like that is found in SHA-256
Good rational. Guess we better abandon all encryption ever because every algorithm that ever is or will be can be "imagined" to have a flaw

I'd suggest that you learn some math and go over the algorithm yourself to see how secure it is, but I doubt you're remotely capable of that.

>>51465097
>you need to handle that some way or another
The hashing algorithm that ipfs uses can be changed at any time across the entire network
>>
>>51465121
It is a possibility, and we have to be ready for it. Stop advocating for "it is never gonna happen", because it might.
>>
>>51465082
So your entire basis is "what if someone finds an exploit in the next 10 years"?
I already told you, they can switch to another hash system easily.

>>51465089
How do you figure?
>>
>>51465135
The thing is, how are they gonna handle it for affected files? Suppose a collision is found for the hash X, does the first file with the hash X become inaccessible, do you get mixed parts from the first and the second file, etc.
>>
>>51465132
>It is a possibility, and we have to be ready for it.
But anything we replace it will also have the "possibility" of being flawed.

At least you're secure anon with your personal infinite-bit hashing algorithm that you use for securing your own shit, since everything else might someday be broken
>>
>>51465157
>how are they gonna handle it for affected files?
The affected files won't have the same hash as their previous collision when the algorithm changes.
>>
>>51465157
Why would it matter what happens? If a hashing scheme is proven to be flawed then it should not be used anymore, the 2 offending files would be tested with another algorithm and that would be used instead.
>>
>>51465132
They are ready for it, you ignored the part where they said that here
https://github.com/ipfs/faq/issues/24
>If sometime down the road, we get worried about our very limited hash space, we can upgrade the hash function we use as ipfs uses the multihash format for specifying hashes along with their type and length.
>>
Trying to add something:
QmUQTrbbjTEy4eMXFAAh5UWE6vQp6ygDsoEdtfdRa98EnN
Diebuster episode 1
But I can't seem to reach it from ipfs.io
>>
File: a8RPd5z.png (921 KB, 1094x738) Image search: [Google]
a8RPd5z.png
921 KB, 1094x738
>>51465245
Just tried your link and it's working.
>>
>>51465245
Make sure your ports are forwarded.
>>
/a/ here

please explain how it actually works

>>>/a/133831958
>>
>>51465245
I can see it from here.

>>51465297
>anon from our boards
Not even.
>>
>>51465297
Why did we share this with /a/? This isn't really anime related.
>>
I P F S
P
F
S
>>
>>51465297
IT BEGINS
>>
>>51465305
>>51465292
Awesome, thanks
>>
>>51465329
If subgroups begin using it, we might see broader adoption. That's how Matroska, hi10p and torrents got off their feet, after all.
>>
>>51465305
>>51465297
>Anons from our board
Top fucking kek

Read through thread weaboo friend. Essentially it's a distributed more decentralized web. It's alpha and may not be the next big thing. Or it might be. It's kinda based. I hope.
>>
>>51465305
People thought gnunet was a /g/ project too. Plenty of >I'll make the logo.
>>
>>51465329
A better question is why they posted it now, it's obvious that most people in the past threads don't even understand it.
>>
>>51465375
Isn't it always /a/ the pushes broader adoption?
>>
>>51463198
Torrents do this too.
Not really at full speed though.
>>
Sooo... Whats the point?
What advantages can this give me?
>>
>>51465456
Other than being able to watch my animu directly. It only takes me a minute to download a full episode on a torrent though.
>>
>>51465426
Yeah and BitTorrent was a major influence in the design of IPFS.
>>
>>51465456
Faster download speeds, and increased resilience to censorship.

It makes it real hard for the government to take down a site when there are several thousand copies of it.
>>
>>51465456
A distributed web is better for the future and stability of the web. Attacking centralized servers wouldn't be effective and NSA et pals wouldn't have it as easy.
>>
What are the step by step guide to install this on Wangblows
>>
Does it currently do compression or anything for the transfers?
>>
It's not a bad idea and a good alternative to the shit that is HTTP but there's so many legal issues that it's gonna be killed before it could ever become a thing.
>>
Waiting for the day when I'll be able to see ipfs:// in the url bar of my browser

HTTP is dead, long live IPFS.

(not completely, tho)
>>
>>51465550
Download here:
https://gobuilder.me/github.com/ipfs/go-ipfs/cmd/ipfs

Open command prompt where you extracted the executable.

ipfs init

ipfs daemon

localhost:5001/webui for a webui
>>
>>51465575
>>Open command prompt where you extracted the executable.

Do you mean the application in the folder named "ipfs"? It just opens and closes for me instantly so it doesn't do anything.
>>
Manga sucks at torrents, mainly because of versioning and coordination of too many files. This would be helpful.
>>
>>51465591
Open command prompt in the ipfs folder and type

ipfs init

and

ipfs daemon
>>
>>51465591
Then, in your web browser go to localhost:5001/webui for a webui
>>
>>51465564
Which issues?
>>
>>51465532
>Faster download speeds
Torrents usually max it out for me.

And why cant they just get your ip and fine you like they do with torrents?
>>
>>51465637
Copyright law. This effectively makes it impossible to take down illegal content.
>>
>>51465559
I don't know but it could eventually, the connection stuff is currently encrypted and they've made it pretty modular so someone could theoretically add in compression as well as swap out encryption methods.

>>51465575
>>51465611
>>51465624
Take into account recursive add is currently broken on Windows. Someone posted a patch last thread.

>>51465606
That's one of the bigger things I'm excited for, no need to coordinate anything, just add it and forget it.
>>
>>51465639
They can. I never said they couldn't.

You can use something like tor or i2p in coordination with this though. So if you're worried about them fines, break out that onion.
>>
/a/ thread was deleted, so I'll respond here, in case some /a/nons show up.

>>>/a/133833389
>Does this have any impact on someone who would want to keep these files locally, such as having an option to directly download and not stream but still seed afterwards etc. Just seeing how far this can be taken
You can "get" and "pin" the files. The former downloads the file so that it resides as a normal file outside the ipfs store, and the latter downloads it, keeps it in the store and seeds it indefinitely. This is the normal mode of operation: Streaming is just a bonus (and it does the same thing as "pin", but without the "indefinitely" part).

>>>/a/133833387
>Are the connections encrypted, though?
Yes, but your IP is visible to anyone.
>>
>>51465639
There's talks of a solution for this, it's not done now though.
>>
File: snLplqq[1].jpg (55 KB, 440x960) Image search: [Google]
snLplqq[1].jpg
55 KB, 440x960
>>51465297
>made this
>>
>>51465659
Other than TOR, what would be the solution?
>>
>>51465659
Solution for what? IP leaks? That's probably gonna be there indefinitely. IPFS isn't looking to build an anonymous network. Just use tor with it if you want to hide your ip.
>>
>>51465668
Hey I made that image.
>>
>>51465690
No, I did
>>
So is there going to be a public list where we can search for files people choose to make public? That'd be neat
>>
>>51465690
So did I.
>>
>>51465684
I2P is a good one, I meant a first party though, coupling with other existing anonymizing software is being worked on now but it's just an optional solution to the problem that is easily implemented now while a "more proper" solution is worked on.
>>
>>51465698
That's planned for the future. Aint happening for a while though.
>>
>>51465698
Eventually
https://github.com/ipfs/archives/issues/8
>>
>>51465684
They're talking about I2P or Tor. But as >>51465687 said, the main concern is not anonymity, it's decentralization. This makes it different from earlier protocols (like Gnunet, Freenet) which tried to solve both at the same time. Decoupling the two concerns makes it significantly faster (and will hopefully not scare away commercial adopters, who wouldn't want to risk being forced to host illegal content, as they would with Freenet).
>>
>>51465687
>IPFS isn't looking to build an anonymous network
Not right now, that doesn't mean ever. I remember it coming up in one of the talks the developer did on the topic of censorship in those countries where the government shuts down the internet access and goes after people. Maybe that was just a use case for the network traversal though.
>>
>>51465698
If things turn out well, search engines will be able to follow links to ipfs:// sites and index them. Remember that this is no different from http, other than the content being delivered in a vastly different way.
>>
>>51465750
It should be much easier as well given that directories hold a recursive list of their contents. Check out
ipfs object get *directoryhash*
>>
ipfs music streaming test. From what I can see it works well. For some reason it won't play in foobar though.

QmWvj1ctNGDcewakhGodESj PqbtbRueVWKpqJrR88htDRB

(remove space)
>>
File: 20150318022431[1].jpg (7 KB, 261x193) Image search: [Google]
20150318022431[1].jpg
7 KB, 261x193
>>51465719
>>
File: DAICON4.jpg (53 KB, 531x372) Image search: [Google]
DAICON4.jpg
53 KB, 531x372
>>51465784
Works here.
>>
>>51465784
Good song, reminds me of that animation from that expo or whatever.

>>51465844
Yeah this one.
>>
>>51465784
>QmWvj1ctNGDcewakhGodESj PqbtbRueVWKpqJrR88htDRB
10/10 pinned
>>
>>51465784
how?
>>
Not as good as daicon but still good.
QmYqdQkPU6448dmCzoCo3MQ
agBDV2iW6P5jitA4YE7pYdr
>>
>>51465861
Upload audio file to ipfs

Get link

Paste into media player
>>
>>51465861
I'm assuming he's just adding the file, not real-time streaming a la Internet radio. IIRC that might be possible in the future, though.
>>
>>51465879
this isn't streaming
>>
But how do you host webpages over this network? You basically upload the entire thing to the swarm, right? But what if you change something on your site, or if it's dynamic content, do you have to wait until the new version propagates itself to enjoy the advantages of this distributed model? And how do you go about server-side scripts when there are no servers? I lack imagination to picture this, somebody explain.

Also there's been conflicting accounts in the thread on whether connections are encrypted or not, so are they?
>>
>>51465784
>streaming music
>it's just a FLAC file
>>
>>51465875
MP4 by the way, I should have wrapped it in a directory node like this.
QmUN6cS6xYURfpW5BR7tJ8Me
Pe2zvr76csZ4PdybFqzy6R

Use the -w flag when adding like
ipfs add -w *files*

It lets you make named links like this
http://localhost:8080/ipfs/QmUN6cS6xYURfpW5BR7tJ8MePe2zvr76csZ4PdybFqzy6R/%5Bseiya%5D%20Animator%20Expo%20-%2031%20GIRL%20%28JP%29%20%5Banimatorexpo%20720p%5D%20%5B9AC7E958%5D.mp4
>>
>>51465897
Technically it is streaming :/
>>
>>51465899
What exactly does the -w tag do? Allow you to browse relative directories?
>>
yo test my mad jungle beats
QmY2f3t1tJJ36U3Sjhs8X TbnRa6e9ZGHejT8PhomHGkV2h
>>
>>51465892
>do you have to wait until the new version propagates itself
You'll have to wait for the updated files to propagate, yes. But a directory is just a list of filename:hash, and most of the hashes will remain the same after an update, so all that will have to repropagate is the directory list (really small) and whatever files you updated.

I think IPFS uses block-level deduplication too, so you'll only have to update parts of the file.

>And how do you go about server-side scripts when there are no servers?
>>
>>51465903
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streaming_media
Just having a file available for download isn't streaming
>>
>>51465899
And while I'm at it I shoul;d point out how to get the IPFS link >>51465875 FROM this link >>51465899

You do
ipfs resolve "*directory hash*/filename.mp4"

Make sure the filename isn't percent encoded, it has to be the real filename with spaces, symbols, etc. intact. It will spit out an ipfs hash for that particular file so you can link it out alone and without a name if you want that hash for some reason.

>>51465917
It wraps your additions in/as a directory. So if you add files A, B, and C like this
ipfs add -w A B C

You get a hash for all 3 and then another hash that is a directory containing those 3.

https://ipfs.io/docs/commands/#ipfs-add
>>
>>51465950
Ah I see. It's a good as we got right now though.
>>
>>51465940
>>51465892
Damnit, I hit send to early.

>And how do you go about server-side scripts when there are no servers?
You don't. This is mostly intended for static sites, and sites with client side scripting only.

>Also there's been conflicting accounts in the thread on whether connections are encrypted or not, so are they?
They are. Every node has a public key whose hash is visible if you run
$ ipfs swarm peers
. This is used for encrypting communication with that node.
>>
>>51465950
>>51465966
The future though.
https://github.com/ipfs/ipfs/issues/103

Also related to dynamic content
https://github.com/ipfs/faq/issues/28
https://github.com/ipfs/specs/issues/28
>>
>>51465955
Moreover it makes the resulting file look more like a real URL and not just random text wich shouldn't trip the spam filter as often as shown >>51465899
>>
File: agario smegma.png (179 KB, 1282x284) Image search: [Google]
agario smegma.png
179 KB, 1282x284
>>51465668
Hey guys checkout what I made.
QmeLYXT3iViavYUQYnLKpQj3DNxGLL
6ddtvi566NCKoVDF
>>
>>51466021
I don't know what I expected.
>>
>>51466021
I made that.
>>
>>51465892
>Also there's been conflicting accounts in the thread on whether connections are encrypted or not, so are they?
https://github.com/ipfs/go-ipfs/blob/master/assets/init-doc/security-notes
>>
>>51465940
>>51465971
Thanks, guess it's time to try it out then.
>>
>>51459850
Index Anon are you keeping track of everything being posted?

Is anyone else building some kind of index? I'd like to have some ipns keys to check later.
>>
>>51466021
No, check out what I made
QmZBY1x6dfXxiRpdUenTf GikLkmRhqhwjcMLqxh7LcD8bv
>>
>>51466107
I'm not getting anything, are you sure you're daemon is running?
>>
>>51466162
>you're
It sure is 3AM.
>>
>>51466107

Working
>>
>>51466162
yeah
i tried downloading some of files posted in here and it lagged like for a minute but downloaded eventually and since then everything was fine
>>
>>51466185
want fallout 4?
>>
will some anon be kind enough to talk me through the setup on windows, I click the application and it flashes cmd, when I load it through cmd I get tons of options what do I do? and since I'm a windows babby CLI scares me
>>
>>51466162
Same here. Not getting anything from >>51465875 either, and the IPNS from >>51465899 does not resolve.

We might be far away from each other in the DHT network, though. I also haven't opened any ports and rely on uPnP, but the swarm seems to be full of peers, so I don't think that's the problem.
>>
>>51466202

Sure

seven
one
eight
1five
nine
one
>>
>>51466223
ipfs init
ipfs daemon

and goto 127.0.0.1:5000/webui
>>
>>51466223
ipfs init
, followed by
ipfs daemon
. Then visit http://localhost:5001/webui on your browser.
>>
>>51466227
what
>>
>>51466247

steamid
>>
QmRuM7fbsncaGbv gfyRQ9vpR2gs23kAoYLpkRU8bHkYkxL
>>
>>51466256
no i mean codex release through ipfs
>>
>>51466185
>>51466202
>>51466227
Wow are you really going to take credit for something I made.
>>
>>51466268

No I don't support piracy, thnx anyways.
>>
>>51466235
>>51466237
thanks, I added one of my fav porn videos but nothings happened yet, guessing it just takes a while since big file size will share when done
>>
fallout 4 steam key if u guys want btw:

RE87A-Q3RKK-V309J
>>
I just realized since this does things at a block level things like meta data for media files can be changed freely without compromising the share completely. I wonder if the same would work for video files and streams, it'd be crazy if everyone had a copy of just the video stream and people could pick the audio and subtitle stream they wanted to host instead of having to have a single large copy that contains everything.
>>
File: 1434114805330.jpg (109 KB, 500x578) Image search: [Google]
1434114805330.jpg
109 KB, 500x578
>>51466327
>mfw I got tricked
>>
>>51466337
Wow, will this finally solve the problem with music torrents having bad metadata, file names and directory structure?
>>
Shouldn't "ipfs daemon" send it to the background, instead of blocking the terminal?
>>
>>51466312
4chan keeps saying it's spam so I gotta put spaces in it

QmTu
rH3i2uPY4pB2P
mu7HTnq5tFshkvyWFm
AeSHVn5SkNc
>>
>>51466364
his point is that metadata only changes a tiny piece of the file

so for example, lets say you have two torrents, and old with with shit metadata, but thousands of seeds, and a new one, with fixed metadata but only a couple seeds

with ipfs, you will be able to get the blocks with the new metadata from the few seeds, while still being able to take advantage of the thousands for the rest of the data, since it's the same data (and therefore the same hashes/same addresses)
>>
>>51466364
I hope so, it already fixes the last 2, once in-place sharing/directory watching gets implemented I'll be a very happy person. Just share my entire music directory and my structure/filenames won't bother anyone (I sort them really well though).

>>51466312
There should be a progress bar when adding. I wonder how old those builds are. I can upload mine from git that has the Windows path patch if you want it.
>trusting random binaries from the internet
>>
>>51466395
it uses some auto compiler or some shit so that should mean I have the most recent commit, I'm gunna compare build numbers later thanks anyway anon
>>
>>51466337
>>51466364
/g/ IPFS PRIVATE TRACKER WHEN?
>>
You can make a decentralized crypto file distribution service using IPFS like technology.

You make a client, which allows people to add files, the file gets split up into various pieces. Each user connected allocates a certain percentage of their hard drive and bandwidth upload. At specific times, files on the entire network get shifted around randomly. Users never know what they are sharing, files never stay in place for too long. Far too difficult to track, no complete files ever stay in 1 place, always broken down possibly even encrypted as well.

Build a search method around this.

Now add crypto currency around this, so people who offer the most bandwidth/space/cpu get a chance to unlock some money.
>>
>>51466426
get it started f a m
>>
File: 1406612054995.jpg (70 KB, 810x780) Image search: [Google]
1406612054995.jpg
70 KB, 810x780
>>51466393
>his point is that metadata only changes a tiny piece of the file
I know, that was my point too. No sarcasm intended, but it might have come off that way.
>>
>Not starting your VMs from the network using IPFS

qemu-system-x86_64 -bootp http://127.0.0.1:8080/ipns/QmTosrQUvTbuT4RiEAmEhc5uANBW4z231pP1Xy6wXNFipV/boot.ipxe 
>>
anyway to check if anyones downloaded a file?
>>
>>51466226
Oh, now it works! Just took some time.
>>
File: h31.png (443 KB, 640x484) Image search: [Google]
h31.png
443 KB, 640x484
>>51466432
>>
>>51466426
We don't really need it to be a private index, do we?

>>51466429
I think you just explained filecoin, which is a related project to this.

>>51466435
If it makes you feel better I knew what you meant Anon.

>>51466441
I STILL CANNOT BELIEVE I LIVED LONG ENOUGH TO SEE THIS HAPPEN
>>
>>51466445
or change the name
>>
>>51466453
I took my daemon down to update for a second. Murphy's law strikes again, people only ever try to access me when I'm down, other than that I have 99% uptime.
>>
>>51466445
Not that I know of.

>>51466461
How do you mean? Once a file is added it becomes irrelevant since it's stored in a datastore, you can move, delete, rename, or modify the original file after adding and it won't cause issues.
>>
File: 2015-11-22 08_30_36-IPFS.png (5 KB, 1296x34) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-22 08_30_36-IPFS.png
5 KB, 1296x34
>>51466489
I mean on the webui (I want to change the left one) and does that mean once I share a file I can never remove it? does it get shared with everyone or just whoever I send the ID to
>>
>>51466521
I'm not too familiar with the webui, I don't know if you can or can't change the name. I think you can remove it by clicking that X on the right.

>does it get shared with everyone or just whoever I send the ID to
So it will get sent to everyone if they request it but they can only request it if they already have the hash, so as long as you don't make the hash public it should only go to people you send it to unless it's already a public file.
Does that make sense? I'm a little tired.
>>
>>51466545
yeah thanks for explaining
>>
>>51466390
noice
>>
I bet /gif/ would love this when it's done.
>>
>>51466557
keep in mind that you don't need to be available for the address to be accessible

as long as *someone* has it in their ipfs cache the data remains accessible from the same address
>>
File: 3878678.png (12 KB, 460x460) Image search: [Google]
3878678.png
12 KB, 460x460
>Hyrdus is going to support IPFS
I don't know if I contain how hyper I am right now. 2 really good things mashed together.
>>
>>51466263
>QmRuM7fbsncaGbv gfyRQ9vpR2gs23kAoYLpkRU8bHkYkxL

Good one, anon!

[file] Reading from stdin...
(+) Audio --aid=1 (mp3)
File tags:
Artist: E.S.T.
Album: Live In Hamburg
Genre: Jazz
Title: Goldwrap
Track: 4/5
>>
>>51466654
so similar to syncthing
>>
http://ipfs.io/docs/install/

Sorry, how do I install this? What's a PATH?
>>
>>51466668
yea, in a way
>>
>>51466668
Kind of, yeah. A lot of distributed P2P systems do this kind of thing.

>>51466677
Just download it and run it, if you want to build it yourself you'll need Go, they link to how to install that on the page.
>>
>>51466696
If I update a file i.e index.html will it update for other people?
>>
>>51466657
What's that? Google gives me nothing.
>>
>>51466724
image database, basically
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.