[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27
File: workaround.png (41 KB, 398x462) Image search: [Google]
workaround.png
41 KB, 398x462
Intended for users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are three ways to try Linux, you can:

1) Install a Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
2) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full Linux experience".
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux (not recommended)

If you are serious about switching to Linux and if you have Windows dual-booted (recommended for pure newbies),
we recommend you use it exclusively for 2 weeks, and avoid Windows dual booting for that period of time, or it's
likely you will start retreating back to windows instead of getting used to Linux as your new home and working on
making it feel the way you want it.

>Recommended for beginners:
-*buntus except vanilla Ubuntu (Unity)
-openSUSE
-LinuxMint (a.k.a Ubuntu LTS + Cinnamon)

Before asking, please find the answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe wine can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
your friendly neighborhood search engine
>>>/g/sqt
https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/learn-the-command-line
https://wiki.archlinux.org/
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/
>>
What is Linux (or GNU/Linux for Stallmanists)?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux

Babby's First Linux (What distro to choose?)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

What software does /g/ recommend? (Please DON'T include the so called infographic -- refer all your recommended software here.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software

Ricing on Linux (Make it good and functional or make it worse like those at desktop threads)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing

A script designed to ease the transition from Windows to Debian
https://github.com/Chocolate-Chip-Computing/DebianNewbieScript

We now have an entry in the install Gentoo wiki!
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php//flt/
>>
>>51433470
>Recommended for beginners:
-Debian with non-free live image
-OpenSuSe
-LMDE
-Antergos
-Everything non-Ubuntu and non-Fedora
>>
>>51433508
SUSE not SuSe Jesus Christ.
>>
>>51433508
>>51433523
Isn't it SuSE?
>>
>>51433508
>Antergos
Keep the beginners doubtful if they should use GNU/Linux at the first place because the installer is so shitty.
>>
Is it possible to use virtual machine to install linux onto your actual hard drive so I can dual boot?
>>
File: tyrone.jpg (26 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
tyrone.jpg
26 KB, 1280x720
>>51433485
>Linux Mint is also known as Ubuntu LTS + Cinnamon
>>
>>51433546
It was SuSE since it stands for "Software und System-Entwicklung"
>>
Debian
CIFS-utils installed
Mount CIFS share
CIFS not a recognized filesystem
Check cifs module
Errors module not found

I have no idea why this keeps happening. I know I have CLI right it works in my VM.
>>
I'm looking for a lightweight distro for my uni laptop. I want something that i can customise but also just works. Should i go for something like Fedora, or mabey Debian?
>>
>>51433649
Architect.
>>
reposting

>>51433366
I haven't had a chance to buy an ethernet cable yet. My router is in a different room.

>>51433424
Trendnet

>>51433467
Thanks
>>
>>51433649
archlinux is good if you have the knowledge, else debian testing with a light DE.
>>
>>51433575
Right? It's fucking abysmal.
>>
>>51433676
It is
>>
>>51433599
modprobe cifs?
>>
>>51433699
Checks to see if the module is loaded. Got desperate, because I've no idea why it hates me.

I've restarted the the whole laptop since the install since I can't just sudo reboot because I'm in chroot.
>>
File: cmus.png (80 KB, 480x249) Image search: [Google]
cmus.png
80 KB, 480x249
>update artist tags using id3v2
>not only do the tags not change, but Japanese characters get the shit kicked out of them

Oddly enough, if I move the files onto my phone, the tags are fine. The titles are still fucked though.
I tried puddletag, too. Artist tags remain unupdated, but the title tags at least remain unchanged.

I'll probably just redownload everything and redo everything with puddletag, but does anybody know why the weeb chars got fucked?
Also, if anybody could tell me why cmus refuses to display the updated artist tags, that would be neat.
>>
Is it a bad idea for me to use i3 if I'm new to linux
>>
>>51433470
Total beginner here, what's bad about Ubuntu?
>>
>>51434088
Nothing, everybody just hates its default desktop environment, Unity.

>blah blah Amazon blah blah botnet
Yeah no. You can disable the whole thing by flipping one setting to OFF. No point writing off an entire DE over it.
>>
>>51434088
>Total beginner here, what's bad about Ubuntu?
Oh, nevermind, just saw the part on one of the OP links, "Ubuntu is a common beginner's choice, and is despised by both /g/ and /tech/ for it's default DE and it's Amazon spyware" I thought they removed the spyware?
>>
>>51434114
I just miss its old DE because it could run on a toaster and the update made my shitop laptop at the time fail horribly. But gnome 2 DE stopped being supported at the same time so I can't blame them for just making their own as gnome 3 is also a resource hungry mess. LXDE is a big fix for that.
>>
>>51434151
Or Ubuntu MATE. Gives me a nostalgia stiffy.
>>
>>51434172
I like MATE, but never so sure about it since it forks off of something that is effectively dead. I guess it works though.
>>
Why do you guys use linux over windows?
>>
>>51434085
No. i3 is easy to use learn very quickly.

It might be in your interests to look over a tutorial (or the manual page), before you start it up.

As a newcommer to linux you have about the same experience with i3 probably as a person who has used Linux for years, always under Gnome. The differences are not about the operating system; they are about the program.
>>
>>51433470
What now?
>>
>>51433591
No. VM is a different architecture. Use Unetbootin if you have no CD or DVD, and install installation media to C.
>>
>>51433470
Thx op, needed this
>>
How would I do this? I have a hdd with stock Ubuntu partitions. I got a ssd where I want to do a clean install. How can I remove the OS on the HDD but keep personal files and then link /home to the HDD to the install on the ssd?
>>
Ok I've installed opensuse now what
>>
>>51434445
Make a ext4 partition. If no space, shrink some from ubuntu, and move all stuff you need there
After you install in ssd, you can either remove ubuntu, or do anything you want
>>
>>51434485
good idea, thanks.
how would I go about setting that ext4 hdd partition to be my new /home partition once I install the OS on my SSD?
>>
>>51434496
You mean system is in ssd, but /home partition in HDD?
>>
>>51434496
Ubuntu, you said? There should be some advanced settings in the installation where you can mount this partition as /home without formatting it.
Otherwise, it's still possible to do it after installation by editing /etc/fstab.
>>
>>51434324
Misery, repent and depression
>>
>>51434496
http://askubuntu.com/questions/21321/move-home-folder-to-second-drive
Btw after installing OS on SSD, and after deleting ubuntu in HDD, you can connect that empty space to your "home" partition in HDD
and setting home in HDD:
>>
>>51434518
yes, sorry for the misunderstanding
basically, I have a stock standard ubuntu installation on a hdd. I will migrate all files to a new ext4 partition until the remaining partitions can be deleted. I will disconnect the HDD and then connect the SSD to install Fedora 23.

I just don't know whether I should install fedora with the HDD connected and point that as /home straight away (without deleting any files I hope) and / and /swap etc on the SSD.

So ideally I will have migrated to Fedora and kept all my personal files from my previous Ubuntu installation.

If that is not ok, I will connect HDD after the whole Fedora installation is done and then manually point the new HDD with that ext4 partition to become the new /home mount point if that makes sense
>>
>>51434559
Well, yeah you can do that, easy.
>>
>>51434615
thanks anon
fairly excited as this will be my first SSD install
looking forward to the mild speed increase on this ageing laptop
plus, fedora is where I want to be now since I am starting to develop using a few tools
>>
>>51434795
Good luck and fun!
>>
>>51434052
Seems to be a charset issue.
Have you fiddled with this conf?
https://github.com/cmus/cmus/blob/master/Doc/cmus.txt#L955

Also if you aren't married with cmus, check out MOC, it's very similar and my goto player.
>>
anyone know of a i386 non-pae based distro that will run midori without (too many) crashes? for an old and slow VIA board. even the pre installed midori on bodhi linux chrashes almost instantly.
>>
I'm on Linux 4.3.0 and recently my system has been mysteriously crashing.
There isn't even a kernel panic, the whole system just freezes up, the display is still working and image is still there, but no input devices work, i can't SSH in and alt-sysrq doesn't even work which leads me to believe the kernel has crashed and the cause of it is outside the kernel otherwise there would've been a panic.
The only way to reset is to hold down the power button.
How can i debug this or atleast catch some kind of output so i have atleast some idea of what went wrong?
>>
>>51434982

Woah shit, anon. I've actually been bisecting a similar issue.

Can you reproduce it by sshing into your machine?
>>
>>51435071
>Can you reproduce it by sshing into your machine?
You mean does SSH'ing into the machine cause the problem? No.

What version are you on?
>>
>>51433727
Did you ever get it working? You might need smbclient.
>>
>>51435095

Last stable seems to be the 4.3.0 release. After 4.4-rc1 I have kernel panics when I ssh to the machine.

I narrowed it down to this by bisecting:

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/commit/?id=b0f85fa11aefc4f3e03306b4cd47f113bd57dcba

I'll bisect the merge later today.
>>
>>51434982
>>51435095

Oh, and, what you're experiencing seems like a kernel panic, since it doesn't respond to anything.
>>
New to linux
Managed to run arch with gnome on my laptop
Now, after a few reboots, I can't get past gdm.
When I log in, it either throws me back to gdm or freezes
I installed i3, kde, mate but nothing seems to work
EXCEPT "gnome on wayland"
No idea what that is or how to fix this
I mean everything works there, but other DE doesn't work
>>
Anyone running arch on MBPr?
Is it stupid to do that?
>>
How do i into ncmpcpp on fedora?
>>
>>51434979
>i386 non-pae
Arch
>>
>>51435253
ayy lmao, 32-bit Arch is i686-optimized, it won't work on non-pae systems.
>>
>>51435261
welp shit, i was pretty sure it was i386.
>>
cmus doesn't seem to be the problem. Tags aren't being updated because of the cache file that cmus dumps when it quits - deleted that, and now tags are up-to-date.
id3v2, however, is absolutely murdering tags with non-english characters.

Perhaps some progress: I tried out kid3-cli, and selecting a file with Japanese characters in the metedata gives the message
TagLib: String::copyFromUTF16() - Invalid UTF16 string.

Would this mean the problem is in one of my installed libs rather than the program itself?
>>
Why does my system think it's android?
>>
>>51435992
Who gives a shit about what screenfetch thinks?
It's a shitty script that only ricers use for their circlejerk faggotry
>>
>>51435992
What system do you have?
>>
>>51433649
debian stable non-free. it needs to be stable for uni.
>>
>>51434324
now you need to tell everyone that you use arch.
>>
File: 1438336714092.jpg (11 KB, 300x188) Image search: [Google]
1438336714092.jpg
11 KB, 300x188
>>51433470
Can I transition a RAID 5 to ZFS without data loss in mint?
>>
>>51434982
You mother fucker, been dealing with this and only built my desktop the past week. Using 4.3 for skylake support and I've spent the majority of the day running memtest freaking out. Hopefully just a bug but I'll finish off my stress tests and see what's up.
>>
>>51435162
Yes, but it doesn't actually panic (as in show the panic message on the console), so i think it could be RAM, since i figured only RAM would cause that considering you can't panic with no RAM.
So i reseated it and gonna see how that goes.
>>
>>51436739
I don't think it's the kernels fault.
I've been on 4.3 for about 12 days or so, the crashes only started occuring yesterday, and since then it has crashed in the same way about 4 times.
>>
Anyone else noticed a real drop in performance since the last firefox update? It seems really laggy and slow all of a sudden.
>>
>>51436786
I'm doing exactly what you are this minute gl to you too same shit on my end,.
>>
>>51436812
which version? i use Iceweasel 44 and i didn't notice anything.
>>
>>51436830
>>
>>51436818
When did you start getting this problem?
There are 2 other people in this thread with the same issue and if you both only started getting in on 4.3 then i guess it could be the kernels fault.
Also, how often does it occur for you? it occurs for me every 2 - 5 hours so it's kind of hard to debug.
>>
>>51436841
well i didn't have your problem but i think updating will fix it anyway.
>>
>>51433470
You should recommend Arch to the newbies. Only the strong survive!
>>
how can I stream music from my computer to my phone or to another computer.
>>
>>51436868
no
>>
>>51436858
That's the latest version of firefox though.
>>
>>51436931
firefox definition of stable is about the same as the stable definition by debian. just use beta or aurora. they are stable enough.
>>
File: 1442883932378.png (210 KB, 600x390) Image search: [Google]
1442883932378.png
210 KB, 600x390
Was thinking of installing Debian sid on my newish Macbook Pro since it just werks on my desktop. That is until I saw the hoops I'd have to jump through just to make it past installation.

Which Linux distro straight up doesn't give a fuck about freedom? I want my bcm43xx drivers working out of the box during install. Something close to upstream. Something with KDE 5.4. Is there anything like that?
>>
>>51437058
you can just use the debian non-free iso.
>>
>>51437058
Try Fedora or Arch and its spinoffs.
My bcm43142 works just fine in Arch with the broadcom-wl-dkms package and it worked in Mint with a specific PPA that I can't recall so you really shouldn't have any issues with that.
>>
>>51436907
Look into Pulseaudio or mpd. Or you could just make a samba share and connect to it which is far easier.
>>
>>51437058
Debian with non-free firmwares enabled (http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/)

Or Arch (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MacBook)
>>
File: tumblr_mbuj7hxWsZ1rpp9doo1_1280.png (450 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mbuj7hxWsZ1rpp9doo1_1280.png
450 KB, 1024x683
I'm a bit lost. , there is something that I really don't get about Linux distributions : where does packages come from? who develop them? what are the differences between all the packages repositories (i.e. between Debian repository and Ubuntu repository, or something completely different as Arch Linux repository), are the packages literally the same? And between two distributions minimal install? For example, when a new version of GCC or X11 is released, there is no "Debian's GCC" or "Arch Linux's GCC", this is the same thing or not?
>>
>>51437560
>where does packages come from?
The developers.
>who develop them?
The developers.
>what are the differences between all the packages repositories (i.e. between Debian repository and Ubuntu repository, or something completely different as Arch Linux repository), are the packages literally the same?

Sometimes they have same packages in different names (Debian and Arch), and different versions (Debian-stable and Ubuntu/Arch)

>And between two distributions minimal install? For example, when a new version of GCC or X11 is released, there is no "Debian's GCC" or "Arch Linux's GCC", this is the same thing or not?

GCC is GCC. No differences.
>>
>>51437560
A developer or group of developers make their software.
Then, through the package managers upload it to their distro's server.
It's just like one big cnet/whatever in like ftp form.
Now as for the packages themselves, they're usually the same but a distro's dev can make some changes to make it more fitting for the distro.
For example, Ubuntu does fiddle a lot with the packages to make sure they work with Unity. Gentoo ocasionally might make a change as well. Other distros like Arch or Slackware tend to not mess with it at all.

That's not a great description but I'm not that knowledgeable myself. That tumblr picture seems retarded though.
>>
>>51437560
>>51437618
Thanks.
So, if developers want to spread their package though GNU, there is no 'global Linux repository' where distro pick them as they need?
>>
>>51437560
>there is no "Debian's GCC" or "Arch Linux's GCC", this is the same thing or not?
Most binary distros will compile their own packages and add any patches to it as they see fit to. So GCC on debian could a bit different to GCC on arch, for example.

>>51437694
No, there are varying ways an difficulties to getting a package to be included in official repositories.
>>
How can I force qTox to send a notification when I receive a message (there is no option), is there any other way except to edit the source code for that kind of 'tweak'?
>>
>>51437808
Might be something in the API to pipe the signal to zenity or something.
>>
>>51437103
mdp I still get why it can work since it act as a server for clients, but Pulseaudio ?
I'll have a look at samba.

If anyone else have some software/tools to stream music, thx.
>>
how do i benchmark my system? any recommended programs for this?
>>
Is there a file manager that supports tagging files?
When I'm in a folder I want any tags used in that folder to appear on the side bar of the file manager then I can select the tag to filter the files.
>>
>>51437694
>there is no 'global Linux repository' where distro pick them as they need?
sadly, no. But I think that's the next major issue the linux community will have to deal with. They really have to unify packages so developers can package their software once and for all, permitting people to install it in any linux distribution.

Talking about packages, does anyone know how can I install a package that is on the ubuntu repositories only ? Like is it possible to have apt, add the ubuntu repositories and install what I want ? Even if that sound retarded now that I write this sentence...
>>
>>51437969
>unify packages
Which is impossible with competing standards of package managing. dpkg - rpm - pacman - portage - guix - and now, xbps.
>>
What would be less resource hogging, debian+gnome3 or ubuntu with unity?
>>
>>51438105
gnome. and debian>ubuntu
>>
Would knowing Linux help me professionally as a software engineer or is it more personal preference than professional advantage?
>>
File: 1440459144581.png (32 KB, 698x690) Image search: [Google]
1440459144581.png
32 KB, 698x690
>>51438105
>>
File: glasses.gif (2 MB, 500x279) Image search: [Google]
glasses.gif
2 MB, 500x279
>>51433470
Hi /g/entooman

Sometimes I work fixing computers, installing Windows, etc. I'm considering to offer Linux to people that have PC's and ask me about it, but of course they'll be absolute noobs so I can't go out and install Arch. Basically I want to ask you what distro looks and feels closer to Windows. This in particular:

1) It must juzt werk
2) it's GUI must be as close to Windows as possible (Win 7 and previous versions)
3) Hopefully request root privileges by clicking "OK" instead of typing a password
4) Mount all partitions automatically at startup to prevent confusion
5) be super stable, not getting updates for years

Is LinuxMint the answer? is there any other?
>>
>>51438173
>as a software engineer
you should know how to develop for and use all major OS. yes it will help you.
>>
>>51438129
>>51438178

thanks mates
>>
>>51438183
Overall I'd say debian stable, particularly regarding updates.
1) It must juzt werk
When debian is set up it will
2) it's GUI must be as close to Windows as possible (Win 7 and previous versions)
Don't know, install KDE I guess. You might be surprised how easily normies adapt to new DEs, my completely non tech wife loved unity and preferred it to mate in mint.
3) Hopefully request root privileges by clicking "OK" instead of typing a password
This is possible by setting up sudoers
4) Mount all partitions automatically at startup to prevent confusion
Most non-build-your-own-system distros should do this but installing udevil is one quick and easy solution if not.
5) be super stable, not getting updates for years
Don't think there's anything that will get no updates, even debian stable gets updates. Whether you actually update is a different matter.

You could use any distro really but debian stable is one of the most conservative in an attempt to achieve stability but it's really meant for servers. You could look at slackware or a derivative, maybe that would work.
>>
>>51438183
>1) It must juzt werk
most of them
>2) it's GUI must be as close to Windows as possible (Win 7 and previous versions)
depends the DE, but cinnamon might be the best one if you want it to be like windows.
>3) Hopefully request root privileges by clicking "OK" instead of typing a password
I'm not sure that exist
>4) Mount all partitions automatically at startup to prevent confusion
most of them. Or you could just install it, try if everything works, and fix what have to be fixed modifying the fstab. It takes 1 minute. But most user friendly distro should be able to detect them and mount it automatically.
>5) be super stable, not getting updates for years
debian stable, testing (there will not be any major updates and is stable enough for most users. My parents still didn't had troubles with it).

>Is LinuxMint the answer?
Yes but not only.
>is there any other?
yes but won't be able to tell you, it depends if you want cinnamon as a DE or not
>>
>>51438183
>>51438397
>>51438314
When you say "updates" are you talking from a version to another one or are you talking about software updates ?
>>
>>51438428
>are you talking from a version to another one or are you talking about software updates
That's exactly the same thing.
You may get a whole new version number or you may get a minor revision.
>>
File: 14151111.jpg (28 KB, 640x308) Image search: [Google]
14151111.jpg
28 KB, 640x308
>install arch, while fucking up my windows install
>ok, use arch a bit, do stuff
>reinstall windows, completely format entire drive
>format usb i installed arch with the first time, put iso on it again
>reinstall arch, see only windows partitions
>ok, set the 500MB system partition created by windows as my boot partition, format it to ext4, make a new partition for root, format, mount them
>boot, grub doesn't have windows option, ok, we'll see about that, at least we managed to get fresh arch, right?
>arch is exactly as I fucking left it before formating
what the fuck man
what
the
fuck
>>
>>51438551
>>ok, set the 500MB system partition created by windows as my boot partition, format it to ext4, make a new partition for root, format, mount them

This is where you're wrong.
>>
So I want to install Linux on my dad's computer. Which distro should I go for? He already has Windows 7 installed, but the license is about to expire.
He mainly uses it for YouTube and movies.

Which would be easier for him to get used to, considering he can use Windows 7 decently?
>>
>>51438644
Xubuntu.
>>
>>51438611
yeah, I'm experimenting
say I make 2 parititions when installing wind: sda2, sda3. sda1 will be created as bootable, system partition. Since I'm using mbr, I can only make one more primary partition - sda4, which I'm choosing to be my install part. Then what's up with the boot part?

The frustrating thing was the part where I'm greeted by arch as I left it, with kde, all drivers, firefox and a bunch of tabs open, everything, even though I apparently formatted the drive. Where the fuck where these guys
>>
>>51438644
can you set it up for him so that everything works ootb for him? if yes i recommend debian stable xfce with iceweasel beta and a preinstalled adblock.
if not xubuntu is great.
>>
>>51438644
ubuntu.
>>51438671
bet he will love screen tearing on youtube videos.
>>
>>51438712
I always hand out vanilla ubuntu to people who arent quite technologically inclined. I got sick of formatting and redoing windows with AV drivers the whole deal every time my dad or someone else got a virus so I started handing out ubuntu, zero issues or complaints.
>>
>>51438644
Ubuntu or Mint
>>
>>51438551
You should have a windows boot partition, then your windows partition, then linux boot partition, then your linux home/swap/whatever you want partitions. When you turn your PC on it loads the linux partition, and if you choose windows it takes you to the windows boot partition. You need both. If you messed up your windows boot partition you can use your windows install disk to repair mbr, or I used ultimate boot cd I already had , which can boot into windows with a broken mbr, and used minitools to repair my mbr.
I would recommend repairing your mbr wiping your linux partitions then using another distro that will automatically detect your windows install and install linux alongside it.
>>
>>51438833
>When you turn your PC on it loads the linux partition
*linux boot partition
>>
>install kubuntu
>try to switch to AMD fglrx drivers
>reboot
>doesn't go past the kubuntu boot screen
well, I tried giving Linux a chance
>>
>>51435168
you might want to try a different dm like slim or lxdm
>>
File: 1382584061044.gif (51 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
1382584061044.gif
51 KB, 500x376
>>51435189
type ncmpcpp into a terminal
>>
>>51438847
No, you didn't.
>>
>>51438847
>AMD
>>
>>51438847
>2015
>non-free drivers for amd
>proprietary software fucks up
>blaming GNU/Linux for amds bullshit
>>
>>51438901
I did, but if I wanted to switch fully I would need >muh gayms
and they didn't run well on the OSS drivers

>>51438948
Sorry, I'd prefer the OS tailor to my hardware, instead of buying hardware tailored for the OS
>>
>>51438847
>>try to switch to AMD fglrx drivers
There's your mistake. Linux kernel comes with drivers for most ATI/AMD cards, they don't offer the best performance but they work just fine as far as browsing the internet and light gaming.
>>
>>51439002
CS:GO ran horribly on the open source drivers, that's why I tried fglrx
>>
>>51439007
See ya then chum
>>
>>51439028
ok then
>>
>>51438847
Not sure if related but I had the same issue with Kubuntu and Nvidia.

Twice in the span of 5 months.
I just gave up on Kubuntu.
>>
>>51439056
I think we can just get this out of the way: Linux is not good for video games. The majority of things gaming related in Linux will require work arounds and tinkering.
>>
Has anyone here made a GTK3 theme? How did you find out all the names for the different widgets? Do you have any advice for someone who's just getting started trying to make a GTK3 theme?
>>
>>51439290
Read the documentation?
>>
>>51439256
I didn't even try to game, I just didn't want my graphics card to be wasted.
>>
>>51439325
If youre not self-motivated and cant read a few pages on a thread without typing "tl;dr" then Linux isn't for you. Why linux at all then? it is a system that lets people have control over their machines, control being freedom and responsibility. If you want a turn key machine with limited responsibility and control get a chromebook. (inb4 chromium is linux hurhur)
This isnt to be mean its just to get people primed with the right mindset of what linux is offering and what kind of work it requires. I have a 980 and have it working quite well (I overclock by flashing the eeprom with new clocks and voltages) and can play the standard steam linux games + i spent some time getting D3 working. Yes I also have windows installed.
>>
>>51438428
I think I mean both. Basically, if I install the OS and leave it for a year in the hands of a noob, will it still be working once the year passes?

>>51438397
>>51438314
thanks guys, I think I'll try debian and mint myself for a few months and then decide.
>>
I have mic issue on my x220 running Arch Linux.
I have followed the wiki troubleshooting :
I have turned it on in the BIOS, reinstalled ALSA and Puleaudio, everything in alsamixer is set to the max, in pavucontrol, 'Built-in Audio' is configured to 'Analog Stereo Duplex', 'Internal Microphone' is not labeled as 'unplugged', not muted, set to 100% and as fallback.
Still any sound on pavucontrol previewer, arecord, audacity...
Everything looks like working but just, no sound. what can I do?
>>
What the fuck is up with Arch Linux lately?
Both linux and linux-zen hasn't gotten an update in like 13 days.
Where the fuck is my kernel update!?
>>
>>51439400
Did you just launch into a pointless rant because I said Kubuntu is unstable ?
>>
>>51439580
After you installed Kubuntu, you made changes to it by trying to configure your display drivers. Then the changes dont work and now kubuntu is unstable in your mind. The point of my "rant" was that linux isnt your mommy and changes you made are your changes whether they work or not. My point was also to state that yes it is possible to get them working with some effort. My point was also linux isnt for everyone. Theres only so many hours in the day and dicking with computers isn't everyone's idea of a good time.
>>
>>51439559
Arch pretty much never pushes .0 kernels into main repos. When 4.3.1 comes it'll release fairly quickly. There's some pretty nasty bugs with nvidia drivers on the latest kernel right now, if you have intrl graphics you can always install it yourself from testing if you're itching to update.
>>
>>51439657
Calm down, lardass.
Same changes worked in openSUSE, Mint and fucking Arch.
So it is Kubuntu.
Fucking fanboys will be the death of us.
>>
>>51436786
>>51436818
Didn't fix it, it just happened again.
I'm going to downgrade to linux-lts and see how that goes.
>>
>>51439559
What is Linux-zen?
>>
>>51440109
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kernels#Official_packages
>>
>>51440109
>>51440566
a.k.a. Placebo, just like Linux-ck.
>>
What options should I set in my mpv.conf if I want to conserve battery life on a laptop. I fell for the HiDPI meme, and my old config eats battery, as it was from a desktop. Default options don't work, so I have to set something.
>>
File: quarkaslumba.jpg (118 KB, 692x530) Image search: [Google]
quarkaslumba.jpg
118 KB, 692x530
linux newbie here and I've just installed Fedora 23 on a new laptop

the wireless card is an Intel 7260. I know that i need to install an updated driver for it but I cant seem to work out how.

i tried to download graphically from the website but the file manager wont let me move it into lib/firmware/

i tried to install from the terminal but i cant seem to be able to enter the correct commands to make that happen

do i need to use rpmfusion? will it not let me move it using the gui due to it being non free software? I'm a little bit confused.
>>
>>51440715
Why do you need the updated driver? Intel 7260 should work fine using the iwl7260-firmware package.
>>
>>51440848

i just booted the laptop back up to post some evidence and now the wifi is working. strange.
>>
>>51440954
It knows... Or maybe you updated your kernel recently.
>>
Thinking of getting a laptop to learn Linux. Any things in particular I should avoid?
>>
Arch or die, fuck sticks
>>
>>51441156
Avoid shits /g/ says and learn from your own experience
>>
Moving cars.
>>
Void Linux
>>
>>51441156
nvidia and amd gpus
>>
Oh Arch should I use netctl, dhcpcd, or systemd-networkd to manage my network configuration?
>>
>>51434052
>>update artist tags using id3v2
try beets or picard
>>
Can anyone tell me how to connect to a ZNC bouncer with Polari? I like consistancy and hexchat isn't playing well with me.

>>51441717
Depends on the situation. Use dhcpcd if you are not going to use wifi on that machine and you don't need to do anything fancy with your configuration (like using a static ip). Use netctl if otherwise. Don't use systemd-networkd.
>>
I'm on Arch and I'm trying to install grub to a flash drive (so I can multiboot it) but I currently have systemd-boot installed, and anytime I try to install grub with pacman (so I can run grub-install on the flash drive) it fails because it tries to put files in /boot, and that partition doesn't have enough space. Any way I can run grub-install without actually installing the package?
>>
>>51441794
meant for
>>51441305
>>
>>51441794
>>51441814
alright thanks
>>
>>51441795
or any other multi-os compatible MBR boot manager?
>>
>>51433470
It's cool, I figured it out. cmus creates a cache of metadata for files it has seen in it's lifetime, and apparently it doesn't update the data for files it has already seen. I'm sure what it actually does is more complex than that but that's more or less my understanding it.
I had a look at picard - seems cool. I'll keep it installed but I'd rather have a cli program to use. id3v2 is perfect for my needs, providing the files don't use non-English characters.
>>
does ubuntu gnome have a bot net?
>>
>>51442491
>falling for botnet memes
>>
is there a way to boot arch linux off an usb on ubuntu? i have ubuntu installed on my chromebook and i cannot boot it off on the chromeos(or at least i dont know how) any help? thanks
>>
>>51433470
does anyone here know much about dd-wrt?

i have a linksys e2500 and i want adblocking capabilities, and i believe i need firmware 25000 at least.

the firmware in the guide is 21061, and when i get the same when i search it in the router database thing, which is now currently installed.

How can i tell if some new version is compatible with my router?
>>
>>51441201
Is there anyone here who tried void? I found it a couple of weeks ago but didn't get around to try it yet. If someone could share their experience here I would be grateful.
>>
the media codecs for opensuse tumbleweed aren't working for me.

tried installing it , but afterwards I can't open up a vid on vlc.
what do?
>>
What is the latest flash version i can get in chrome? And how i can do this? I tried few googled tips but there is this site that tells me i need a latest flash version.
>>
>>51439007
the drivers have improved quite a lot, but still depends on hardware and are still being developed. either use a bleeding edge distro, try in a few months, or upgrade mesa/kernel by yourself.
>>
Redpill me on linux guys.

I only browse the internet and play Garry's Mod with my PC, why should I switch to linux?
>>
>>51442868
chrome://components/
>>
File: Components - Chromium.png (52 KB, 1366x718) Image search: [Google]
Components - Chromium.png
52 KB, 1366x718
>>51443243
>>
>>51442858
zypper ar -f -n packman http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/ packman
zypper install k3b-codecs ffmpeg lame gstreamer-plugins-bad gstreamer-plugins-ugly gstreamer-plugins-ugly-orig-addon gstreamer-plugins-libav
>>
>>51443139
Because you actually get choice and control. Also no spying, no risk of getting common malware, no need to pirate anything.
You'll get more out of it if you enjoy tinkering.
>>
File: Plugins - Chromium.png (93 KB, 1366x718) Image search: [Google]
Plugins - Chromium.png
93 KB, 1366x718
>>51443325
also this
>>
>>51443325
That's chromium, not chrome.
You need to compile it with support, or pull the pepperflash from chrome and use that.
IIRC Debian does the latter part.
What distro you are running, doesn't it have docs for this?
>>
>>51439487
No though?
>>
>>51443394
mint

>sudo update-pepperflashplugin-nonfree --status
>Flash Player version installed on this system : 19.0.0.245
>Flash Player version available on upstream site: 19.0.0.245
>>
>>51443328
tried the one click from here http://opensuse-community.org/

and your command line, and this is what I see when trying a vid on vlc.

will restart to see if that does it but just posting this now
>>
>>51443139
You've got fine grain control over everything your computer does
it's also configured sanely, and 99% of everything is configurable
And if something doesn't work, you don't have to live with it
because you have fine grain control
you can fix it yourself
or google for someone who already fixed it %^)
Also it lets you have a sense of smug superiority for taking the moral high ground
because not only is your software free like beer, it's free like freedom
if you reeeeealy don't like something, you can go in and edit the source yourself
Also, because it's open, there's oversight
Even code developed by the NSA is accepted into mainline distros, because it's all open to peer review
and it can be revised
Also, because of the fine grain control, it's an overall more secure system
and you can set it to jesus christ secure if you feel like it
>>
>>51443416
No ideas, I'd just double check nothing is muted in alsamixer.
>>
>>51443450
That package is the updater, have you tried running it?
sudo update-pepperflashplugin-nonfree –install
>>
>>51443569
yes i did
>>
>>51443472
I think you need to install vlc and vlc-codecs from the packman repo.
>>
>>51443612
Well does it do anything?
You can also try to reconf the pepperflash package and see if that does anything.
sudo dpkg-reconfigure pepperflashplugin-nonfree
>>
>>51443627
ah ok, tried mpv and the video worked.

guess I get to fixing vlc if i ever need it.

thanks anon. only thing i wasn't liking about tumbleweed
>>
>>51443640
i already tried this, there is no output in console
maybe i have latest flash but im trying this one site that keep telling me that i need latest version and gives me link to adobe website
>>
void linux or arch?
>>
>>51443719
Arch.
>>
>>51443700
Well you can see here >>51443381 that it's not the latest version.
It says 19.0.0.245 for me.
>>
>>51443725
explain.
>>
>>51443728
it says different things >>51443381
and >>51443450
>>
>>51443745
Because archwiki and AUR exist.
>>
>>51443793
Well go here and test what version you have, it should say in the little box.
https://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/
>>
>>51443861
>You have version 19,0,0,245 installed
there need to be way to update it
>>
Out of the blue my Xubuntu system decides to not recognize peripherals (or at least my keyboard and mouse) on boot. My keyboard works fine in GRUB but when it boots into the system there's a 50% chance that it will not recognize my mouse and keyboard and I'd have to reboot (sometimes multiple times) until it recognizes them.

Is there something I can check to fix this or should I just re-install?

Speaking of re-installing: I have a separate / and home partition, when re-installing I should install the OS on the root partition and it will keep my home partition intact, correct? Or do I have to do some more tinkering.
>>
Hi all,
I've wanted to get into linux on my laptop because I don't do much on here besides school/work related stuff. My desktop is a gaymen rig and my family also occasionally uses it so I don't want to linux that.

Should I try to do a dual boot of a linux distro on my laptop or should I do a complete linux install? I know near nothing about linux other than it's free and fun(?). I can't imagine that it's very resource intensive either.

Also is the Gentoo thing a meme or is it a fact disguised as a meme?

Don't hurt me please.
>>
>>51444453
Sorry, the dual boot question is dumb.
I'd imagine I'll have to install some windows specific program eventually in uni so I'll keep windows dual booted. Do linux boot files take up much space?
>>
>>51444453
Dual booting won't do any harm and if you change your mind it'll be easier to revert go windows later.
Gentoo is genuinely good, but don't even consider it as a newcomer. It'd take a whole day to install it on a laptop anyway.
>>
>>51434088
>>51434109
>>51434114
I think the main problem that people have with Ubuntu including Amazon spyware in their distro by default is the implication that Ubuntu as a company does not place it's users' freedom as the highest priority, and therefore, there are reasons to be suspicious of the company and not trust it.
>>
>>51444497
You could comfortably fit a full Linux install in a 10GB partition.
>>
>>51434324
do everything you would normally do with a computer.
over time, as you become more familiar with the system, you'll begin to realize the power that freedom gives you over your own computer. for anything you'd like to do, you can implement it yourself, but more likely, someone has already implemented it themselves.

The more I use Linux the more I appreciate it.
>>
>>51444504
>>51444511
Thank you.

What are your personal reasons for using linux over windows/osx? The reason I'd like to switch is I want to learn something new, but I'd like to know some reasons why /g/ likes it so I can see if it's something I'll genuinely like to use or if it's just something to know about.

>inb4 botnet
>>
File: 1421113452966.jpg (175 KB, 1286x600) Image search: [Google]
1421113452966.jpg
175 KB, 1286x600
So i got a 2TB drive to use with my other 2tb drive.
Now because of muh autism i don't want to have to deal with 2 drives so i want to merge them with LVM.
However there is already 1.26 TB of data on the first drive, and i have no where to transfer it to in order to create the LVM volume on the 2 disks.
What can i do?
Also is there any performance penalty with LVM that i should care about? i also plan to LUKS encrypt the LVM volume.
>>
>>51443904
19.0.0.245 is the latest one for chrome's pepper flash.

11.2.202.548 is the latest version put out by adobe for linux. They don't update it anymore except for (hopefully) security fixes.

I'm not sure why yours says that 11 r999 bullshit but it looks like it's loading the separate adobe plugin instead of using the pepper flash plugin. Try disabling it and seeing if it loads the pepper one without it, or look for another entry for the PPAPI chrome plugin
>>
What Distro should I use?
I just started on programming and i am tired of Mint, just using some Sublime + python/c++/java and broswing the interweebs
>>
>>51445014
Mint is honestly the best for normie shit. Don't switch unless you have a reason. If you're interested in a more free system, try Debian. If you're interesting in letting everyone know how cool you are, try Arch. If you're interested in going full pants on head freetarded, try Trisquel.
>>
Is it possible to chainload bootloaders with isofiles with GRUB? Or any other MBR boot manager for that matter?
>>
File: ss+(2015-11-20+at+04.02.27).png (11 KB, 1405x120) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-11-20+at+04.02.27).png
11 KB, 1405x120
I know this isn't Linux related, but I'm wondering about this because I'm trying to install Linux.
I'm going to be installing debian alongside windows and I'm freeing up space for the linux partition.
I have these weird "Healthy (Primary Partition)" partitions, they don't have a letter and you apparently can't assign them a letter. Should I delete them? They take up more than 100 GB, but I doubt anything really useful is in there. I did some searching and I couldn't find out if they're important or not. They're not labeled "recovery" so don't assume they are recovery drives (like a lot of Google search results thought)

Thanks /flt/
>>
Hey /g/, installed Xubuntu on my laptop and I want to add Telegram to the application launcher. How do?
>>
>>51443503
Not even (>>51443139), but
>You've got fine grain control over everything your computer does
Only makes your life more difficult if all you do is play vidya and browse
>it's also configured sanely, and 99% of everything is configurable
Ok. But "sane" != "straight forward"
>And if something doesn't work, you don't have to live with it
>because you have fine grain control you can fix it yourself
In Linux, most things don't work but atleast it's possible to get it to work.
>or google for someone who already fixed it %^)
;^)
>Also it lets you have a sense of smug superiority for taking the moral high ground
Good point.
>because not only is your software free like beer, it's free like freedom
Doesn't matter to a fag who buys $60 video games.
>if you reeeeealy don't like something, you can go in and edit the source yourself
I can guarantee that < 5% of Linux users on 4chan have ever done, and < 20% are capable of doing this.
>Also, because it's open, there's oversight
>Even code developed by the NSA is accepted into mainline distros, because it's all open to peer review
and it can be revised
True, but FOSS software still has bugs.
>Also, because of the fine grain control, it's an overall more secure system
>and you can set it to jesus christ secure if you feel like it
It's only as secure as you make it.
>>
>>51445220
Because it's not properly packaged in any distros (due to it's questionable politics of data collection and spying) you will need to make a .desktop file for it.

It's explained
http://deshack.net/install-telegram-for-linux-as-an-application/
In pic related part
>>
>>51445046
>>51445046
and if you don't care what folks think, use manjaro, you get the benefits of a rolling release, with added stability. why? because userland software that has no effect on the system should have an update schedule dictated by the releasing party rather than a distro maintainer
>>
>>51445220
just add it to the panel bruh
>>
>>51433508
Take Antergos off the list you damn memester. Architect is a better fit since it's regular Arch.
>>
>>51445279
There really is a distro for every day of the week.
>>
>>51434109
that's definitely not the only issue..

derivatives are bad, debian base means older packages than Arch, etc.
>>
>>51434227
windows is just a meme distro, if I wasn't gonna use GNU/Linux anymore I would use Mac OS

unix-like operating systems are the standard desu senpai
>>
>>51434324
>switch to openbox or i3 (or if you're crazy try running one of them on top of XFCE, I've seen that done before but it ain't too pretty most of the time)
>get better terminal font (terminus and lemon are good ones)
>get better terminal (e.g. urxvt or termite)
>setup the aur (install yaourt)
>take a new pic when you're done so I can give more specific instructions
>>
>>51435261
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=23626
>>
>>51445489
antergos is also regular arch, it's just a tool to make install easy like archetect but is more newb friendly than architect is.

>>51445501
yes there is, and unfortunately not all of them work right with uefi without some manual tweaking because fucking gpt
>>
>>51435168
>>51438877
try getting rid of your dm and setting up xinitrc/startx

should only take a couple mins and the archwiki page on it is very helpful
>>
File: he downloads memes too.gif (19 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
he downloads memes too.gif
19 KB, 500x332
>See people suggest antergos
>>Antergos is Arch, just with a nice installer
>Download minimal ISO and boot up on it
>Installer open by default
>Installer is looking for updates at the same time
>I click next
>Cannot install because 'cnchi' is not up-to-date
>Wait
>Installer finishes update
>Literally nothing happens
>Restart installer
>Installer is not up-to-date
>Start terminal
>sudo pacman -Su cnchi
>cnchi is up-to-date, reinstalling...
>Wait
>Update finishes, type in cnchi
>mfw still cannot install Antergos because the installer doesn't think it's updated
>mfw I realise Antergos is objectively worse than Netrunner and Elementary OS combined
>mfw I realise I fell for another of /g/'s memeOS
>>
>>51436950
this, crashes on Nightly are very rare
>>
So I'm gonna install Linux and I want disk encryption. Which sets up LVM. If I later add other drives, do those fall under LVM's control automatically, or do they just show up as ordinary non-LVM drives that you can partition and use separately?
>>
>>51445637
patience bruh, it just takes a bit after the update for it to register the change and automagically restart cnchi
>>
>>51436868
I agree with the first half of what you're saying, but I don't think Arch is particularly hard for a newbie.
>>
>>51437905
unigine valley/heaven
>>
>>51445662
I'd agree with you but apparantly most newbies complain that googling is hard, so the archwiki really does nothing for them cause it doesn't spoonfeed them
>>
>>51445637
>getting this buttblasted on a russian parkour youtube video comment section
>>
>>51438105
GNOME Ubuntu. Debian is fine if you're alright with waiting months sometimes for people to package software, even for the experimental channel. It depends entirely on what software you want to use, but Ubuntu has PPAs to make up for any latent packaging.
>>
>>51445658
>JUST
>TAKES
>A BIT
Tell me one good reason why should it take time in a live environment
>>
>>51439256
please don't spread misinformation
>>
>>51440715
>will it not let me move it using the gui due to it being non free software?
probably just a permissions issue, either launch file manager with sudo or just use
sudo mv
to move the command to lib/firmware
>>
>>51445706
I don't know why it does, it just does. maybe it's on purpose to encourage users to practice their zen
>>
when choosing ubuntu images files to download, you have to choose between either AMD64 or i386. I have a 64bit i7 cpu, wh isn't it listed as supported for the 64bit version of ubuntu ?
>>
>>51441156
certain network cards are harder to get support for

don't listen to >>51441244
I haven't had issues with my T60p with an ATI GPU or my T420 with an Nvidia GPU
>>
>>51442491
probably not but it's still shit
>>
>>51445735
the 64bit version is what you want, it'll work fine I think

>>51445755
what's your problem with gnome?
>>
>>51443139
those two things work great still and everything else is also better
>>
>>51445014
install Arch with Architect
>>
>>51445735
Atleast they shouldn't have started the installer before checking for the updates.
Apparently the devs are just too dumb for this message:
"Checking for updates, please wait".
>>
>>51445624
>antergos is also regular arch, it's just a tool to make install easy like archetect but is more newb friendly than architect is.
that's not true, antergos is a distro, also architect is completely user friendly

not sure why you're here shilling antergos but please stop

>>51445637
use architect, please, antergos is a [bad] meme
>>
>>51445738
AMD64 is just what it's called, since AMD released their x86 64-bit extensions first. Any CPU from AMD or Intel since around 2007 or so will run the "AMD64" version.
>>
>>51445765
>what's your problem with gnome?
ah the DE doesn't really matter at all, especially since it can be changed, my issues are with Ubuntu itself
>>
>>51445800
antergos uses only the arch repos and aur, it really is just an installer that's userfriendly, I'm not shilling I'm just correcting an ignint niggah
>>
>>51445624
Architect is noob friendly as it can get. The installer gives a beginner literally no idea how their OS is being built.
>>51445800
I prefer architect myself when I'm too lazy. I just wanted to try a different flavor but never knew some devs can be dumber than indian code-monkeys.
>>
speaking of ubuntu, is there daily builds for unity, gnome, kubuntu, xubuntu etc.. because all daily builds images file name is the same. Does it matter if you get the daily build from gnome or xubuntu? are they the same images?
>>
>>51445853
>noob friendly
>requires use of gparted
choose one bruh
>>
>>51445900
Compare this to an actual install and you'll realise.
Using parted is not really easy though, architect could've included an easy partition method like manjaro's CLI installer has.
>>
>>51445969
you can just choose "auto partition" if you don't wanna use parted or other things

also if coming from another distro and you already have /, /home, etc. you can skip partitioning and just mount stuff
>>
>>51445872
The ISO filesizes differ so they include different software by default but they all use the same repositories.
>>
>>51445900
gparted is incredibly user friendly
You should try giving a noob fdisk and seeing what happens.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.