[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
IT Jobs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: images.jpg (20 KB, 415x355) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
20 KB, 415x355
I am currently a Team Lead for a deployment project in Australia. My job entails flying to remote sites, scheduling users for an upgrade, backing up their profiles, installing Windows 8.1/giving them a new laptop with Windows 8.1, restoring the profile and then making sure their emails/apps/network drives all work.
I do this job for $20AUD an hour. How does this compare to your jobs? Am I underpaid? Do I have it cushy?
>>
>>55038505
i'm R&D for a large US online marketing company, but i work in what /g/ would call a 3rd world country (ex cccp country known for its IT outsourcing).

i write a shitload of code for stuff using a shitload of connections, golang and python mostly, i find security-ish holes and take advantage of then, we're very grey area, i do weird network shit for all this stuff, automating everything from bind zone files to load-balancers on demand.

i get paid 1500$ per month.

i'd quit and go back to webdeving, where i'd make more money, but it's plain and boring af, i do love my job, but i do wish i'd make more.
>>
>>55038737
What are your hours like? I get around $1500 a month, but work only 3 or 4 days a week. I also get allowances when I have to work away, around $100 a day.
>>
>>55038505

>Team Lead

It sounds like a lot of work. It also appears that you are being underpaid.

20.00 is just above the AU minimum wage!
>>
>>55038909
Yeah. Team Leads are expected to organise the rest of the people doing the job. We also have to complete paperwork reviewing the deployment.
The people who aren't team leads get paid the same as me.

Do I just quit and let suffer for being pricks? I'm not sure I have much room for negotiation.
>>
>>55038952
You sure there is no chance of advancement etc? If not, find something else first then quit.
>>
>>55038505

You're not a team lead if you're going out and doing the work yourself. Team lead's organise and dispatch team member to location and do reporting and analysis for your manager.

Sounds to me you're getting shafted.
>>
>>55039013
I do both, apparently. I'm definitely getting fucked over. I'm going to make an attempt at negotiating this week. If nothing works, I will leave, and I won't give a shit how it ruins their project.
>>
>>55039049

Sorry to say but you're getting screwed over. Considering that first year CS student or even a arts student with Angular JS experience is asking 70K excluding super. I will say that $20 is something that I would just simply hand in my resume and go and work at Mac's or KFC and spend the free time hunting around for a different job or career.

BTW, I'm not saying this to be condescending. My own experience first year out of university headed to NSW and worked for 45K inc super. This was game development and I was stupid/young and naive. Did this for about 2-3 years and it was a blast but looking back on it right now it would of been better if I just got a job at the local fast food restaurant.

Though there is one thing to consider first before jumping ship. Most businesses are just simply businesses, and don't take things too personally. It could be that the business you're working for right now have signed a contract for remote desktop support and they've factored in that the only way they can make a profit from this is to get young cheap labour. It could very well be the situation that they simply `dont` even have the money to pay you more or anyone else on your team.

Dust off the resume, market yourself professionally and see what else you can find. Just remember its nothing personal its just business its nothing personal it just business. Have that attitude and go in smiling and see how things go.
>>
3 months i understand?
>>
>>55039425
Previous contract was around 3 months, this one is a little unclear how long it will last.
>>
>>55039013
>You're not a team lead if you're going out and doing the work yourself.
You are replying to a troll.
Wake up.
>>
>>55039503
i leave it in your capable hands
>>
>>55039632
Who do you think is the troll? OP? Why?>>55039641
Thanks Nick
>>
>>55039662
yeah m8 just cuck my shit up
>>
>>55039632

I have no interest in trolling people here. I believe the guys pretty smart and probably can solve PC related client problems faster than what I could. I do think he can get a better job considering his salary is just above minimal wage here in Australia. Something with the current economy in Australia that a guy mowing lawns make more. I haven't even brought up is the concept of travel allowances and reimbursement for his time outside of work.
>>
>>55038505
you're a temp worker. you're getting paid the cut rate, but there's nothing you can do about it
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.