[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone here work with PLCs? What would be the best way to learn
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: plc.jpg (34 KB, 650x268) Image search: [Google]
plc.jpg
34 KB, 650x268
Anyone here work with PLCs?

What would be the best way to learn tag based programming? I have a micrologix to practice on, but it seems that's not really used out in industry much.
>>
>>55018636
No one here does that. You should find somewhere else to learn about them, since they're mission critical systems for the most part.
>>
I work on them, Practice is what it takes.
>>
>>55018683
>No one here does that
I did.
>they're mission critical systems for the most part
Yeah, gotta build that car seat or we'll lose investors!!!1111

>>55018636
I don't even know what the fuck tag based programming is. When they make me work on a project, it's "don't do fucking ANYTHING other than ladder logic with basic fucking components or our controls engineers won't know what the fuck to do when they have to troubleshoot it."
>>
>>55018743
Tag based programming used on RSLogix 5000/Studio with newer controllogix systems. It's still ladder logic.

>Tags are the method for assigning and referencing memory locations in Allen Bradley Logix5000 controllers. No longer are there any physical addresses such as N7:0 or F8:7 which use symbols to describe them. These have been replaced with tags which are a pure text based addressing scheme. This is a departure from the more conventional ways of programming PLC’s, which includes Allen Bradley’s earlier line of PLC5 and SLC 500 controllers.
>>
>>55019011
Ah, so pretty much just variables then. "Tag based programming" sounded like something impressive, but I guess I use it. We have lots of that shit in the clusterfucks at my plants.
And then there are the Siemens databases (data blocks?). We end up with 4 of them that do the same fucking thing after 5 of the retards here get their hands in the program.
>>
My dad showed me how to program them a while ago. He works in industrial automation.

But like the others said, you are in the wrong place for this kinda stuff. Most people here jack off to cartoons and never leave their house. Do you really expect them to work with PLC's?
>>
>>55019194
I know I could go other places for advice, but I just checked here out of curiosity. It's still tech related, and I'm sure not everyone here is a basement dweller.
>>
>>55018683
Good you pointed this. Any site or forum where I could go to learn this stuff?
>>
>>55018683
>No one here does that.
I do but it's all really old shit like Texas Instruments circa 1983.
>>55019932
I'm sure there's plenty of introductory courses online. You may want to check Libgen.io for any books on the subject too.
>>
>>55018636
http://libgen.io/search.php?req=PLC+Programming&open=0&res=25&view=simple&phrase=1&column=def
>>
>>55019445
PLCs aren't really tech related frankly. You'd do much better going onto the Industrial Engineer board on Reddit.
>>
>>55020073
>PLCs aren't really tech related frankly.
Sure they are, they're just simple computers.
>>
>>55020073
The fuck?
>>
>>55019932
Download logixpro. Pretty good simulator. Try to do the student exercises on the website.

http://thelearningpit.com/
>>
i deal with them, but they are supplied by the manufacturer so i never have to program them.

most are running on windows NT virtual machines. we had to reboot one of the VM hosts recently and no one knew how to shut down the controller for a big ass crane we used. we didnt know what would happen and if the thing would even come back online. sure enough, after the NT vm went back up, the crane didnt come back up online and everyone freaked out. turns out we just had to wait about 15 minutes and it all of a sudden fired up and began doing its thing
>>
automation engineer here who installed several SCADA and ICS.
If you're totally noon, get a simulator like "logixpro 500" for Allen Bradley, or "S7 PLCSIM " or similar for Siemens.
And you can use automation studio for a larger emulation. Good luck.

>>55018683
Not all of us is /v/ who only fight about useless graphic cards.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.