[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
cellphones are removing the headphone jack laptops are removing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4
File: motorola-moto-z-reveal-1.jpg (131 KB, 1350x900) Image search: [Google]
motorola-moto-z-reveal-1.jpg
131 KB, 1350x900
cellphones are removing the headphone jack
laptops are removing USB ports for USB-C
consumer PCs are shifting towards touchscreen 2-in-ones
bluetooth headphones will soon be the norm
modular cases rising in popularity
battery packs becoming more common, battery life getting shorter

do you like the way technology is moving, /g/?
>>
>>55006205
>like
>like
>dislike
>like
>like
>dislike
>>
>cellphones are removing the headphone jack
Moderately bothered.
>laptops are removing USB ports for USB-C
Don't care
>consumer PCs are shifting towards touchscreen 2-in-ones
Don't care
>bluetooth headphones will soon be the norm
Slightly bothered
>modular cases rising in popularity
Don't care
>battery packs becoming more common, battery life getting shorter
Slightly bothered

I just don't use technology in a way that this stuff is likely to bug me for a while.
>>
>>55006205
>USB-C
It's USB TYPE C you gay faggot appledrones
>>
>>55006205
Just like abandoning flash, only Apple has abandoned the headphone jack. Just like sdcard slots and removable batteries what Apple decides doesn't determine what the smartphone industry is going to do.
>>
Great, so one less dust catcher
Finally, end of USB superposition
Market is open and vast, there are many choices
Do not care, neve used phone as audio device
What?
You are buying wrong phones
>>
>>55006237
OP pic is the new motorola, with no headphone jack

apple will follow next, and of course, samsung after. it's inevitable

>>55006224
didn't mean it to come off like i was insinuating these changes directly impact your life. just meant from an outside perspective, consumer electronics are shifting heavily to battery intensive, "simple", wireless / bluetooth solutions, which is interesting.
>>
>>55006239
>>modular cases rising in popularity
>What?

motorola's new phone comes with different backs / cases which are speakers, battery packs, etc.

otterbox also just released something like this for the iphone giving expandable storage, infrared camera, battery pack, etc.

just an observation.
>>
>>55006272
Yeah, the Moto Z with mods like a projector, speaker system, etc? The one which is expanding on the capabilities of the phone rather than taking them away?
>>
>>55006272
Since I lack any alternative frame of reference for comparison, all I really have for determining whether I "like" the way tech is moving is to base it on personal impact. It's not like I have anything else to which I can compare current trends except for my own established ones. Get what I mean?
>>
File: image.jpg (48 KB, 700x534) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48 KB, 700x534
>>55006205
Your first two points are shit that Apple does, which doesn't bother me as long as none of the "techies" start to praise it as "innovative" and "ahead of its time". They're basically a phone company to the general public anyway.
Laptops are meant to be light and portable anyway, although I prefer a traditional form factor.
There is always going to be an "audiophile" market with big enough wallets to cater to, so wired headphones will hopefully not go out of style.
The first thing I get for modular case is a case for IPhones...with an SD card reader.
[citation needed]
>>
>>55006302
yeah, understandable.

i work at best buy and sell people consumer electronics shit daily, so it impacts me more i guess.

it gets harder and harder trying to keep a straight face while i sell someone a shitty HP all-in-one desktop with 4GB RAM and an i3 for ~$600, or bluetooth beats headphones with a 3 hour (advertised as 6) battery life, so that's kinda why i wanted to make this thread. I guess it's not really a consumer electronics board though, lol.
>>
>>55006297
Interesting. If it does not shift into "pay extra for what was standard before" then it is interesting way to customize your phone.
>>
>>55006333
Oh I'm pretty sure it is :^)

I'm just the sort to be realistic with what does and doesn't work for me. I guess to touch on what you're really driving at, I don't like the direction in tech where efficient profit-making means cutting out the stuff I like because the manufacturer knows best. Sometimes they're right but sometimes they're wrong.
>>
Displeased.
Pleased.
Indifferent.
Displeased.
Pleased.
Quite displeased.
>>
>>55006346
hopefully not, didn't seem like it from the few they previewed.

contrary to a lot of these replies, i wasn't trying to insinuate any of these changes were bad. i was just curious about /g/'s perspective on the major shifts in technology currently. I do however not like the removal of the headphone jack to save a few inches for "muh thinness". Seems like an excuse to sell adapters and bluetooth headphones.

also forgot to mention VR and flexible phone screens
>>
I've always wanted everything to connect through the same type of cable.

Wireless shit bothers me a lot though, I fucking hate wireless shit.
>>
>>55006205
>bluetooth speakers
I'm bothered by this, wireless technology for audio will always fucking garbage. This isn't even an audioautism tier, it's something even plebs are able to notice.
>>
>>55006408
I do not understand why people seek approval of community, but I am not going to judge.

I would welcome removal of 3.5 if it brings dust and waterproof as standard. I do not care much about aesthetic purposes.

VR is future, but we must clean in of "for gaming only" aura or it could fail. There are many industries where VR could be usefull.

Flexible screens - I do npt see anything wrong, imagine all the new possibilities.
>>
>>55006461
not seeking approval, but this is the board for discussing technology right?

agreed about VR, i think it could even revive the long dead arcade atmosphere.

flexible screens are interesting, i hope it is truly utilized instead of being a brief meme feature for samsung or something though.
>>
Good because I just plug in an smsl Idol
Who does anything on a fucking laptop except browse Facebook and pretend it's useful for '''''work on the go''''
My gaymen build isn't a consumer pc and I don't give a fuck and I doubt everyone will stop buying ATX in ten years
Shit headphones are already the norm
What
>battery packs becoming more common, battery life getting shorter.
Chink phones have 5000mah and look good

Ur basically autistic
>>
>>55006205
What a disgusting picture, couldn't they photoshop that claw hand out?
>>
>>55006205
Fucking terrible
Step in the right direction
Who gives a shit
Stupid
If you mean modular phones, pretty cool (even though Google fucked their attempt pretty damn fast)
Simply not true
>>
>>55006205
Who else's waiting for our saviour k6000 premium with a headphone jack 6gb ram good performance amoled fhd screen and a fucking 6000mah battery?
>>
>>55006205
>Hate
>I like they are being added, but I hate they are removing USB2 and 3 ports
>Extreme hate
>Dislike
>Like
>Love, all my hate
>>
bluetooth headphones for portable devices seems like a good idea to me, but maybe wait for battery tech to improve a bit.
>>
>>55007029
>Needing to charge your phone and headphones
>Good idea
Pick one
>>
>>55006205
>Don't like cellphones generally. Dislike this particular aspect from a strictly ideological perspective.
>Dislike.
>Very dislike. Along with "cloud" (ie faith) garbage.
>Not fond of wireless generally.
>Modularity could pan out well if done properly, and not in such a way that increases interface complexity or latency.
>Batteries have been, and will remain pitiful until carbon fiber or some such storage is viable. For all I know, no meaningful research is being done for this for the consumer space. No one cares to undercut the other, etc, as all stand to lose far more over time than they'd ever gain.

I don't like much of anything these days. Just ignore it and hope nothing I see as ideal gets squashed in favor of an inferior norm. eg, 16:10 monitors. The patents panasonic had for plasmas. CRT tech in general.

It wasn't so long ago that it was all mainframes and the pc was the aberration. I don't think we need to recreate pseudo-mainframe systems for some cloud nonsense. Things are better now.
>>
Shit
Great, better as an addition
Great for consumers, happy as long as the buisness ones are still normal
They won't, quality is still shit
Haven't noticed, but great
Good, not true
>>
It's like we are going back to 2006
>>
It's just new ways to sell people things from the past they've already bought and are familiar with, in a new form.

My battery life has increased with every phone I've bought over the years.. (2.5hrs SoT droid 4, 4hrs HTC m7, 10hrs RN3P). Every device I've purchased has better battery life... even the batteries themselves.

Battery packs and all these other memes aren't actually needed by most people. It's just showing how much more people are stuck to screens.
>>
>>55006331
chromebook pixel only has USB C
>>
I think no headphone jack will be a major fuckup. It will be more annoying than the phone companies think it will be.
>>
>>55007578
it will be annoying for about a year. Then people will just buy bluetooth headphones or USB adapters.
>>
>>55006225
'Cause we wouldn't want to confuse USB type C with that other thing you could interpret 'USB C' as.
Autist
>>
>>55007781
People really suck. The dumb, myopic majority is the sole cause of most of the human species' problems.

>Buy phone artificially inflated 100+x its actual value.
>Buy plan from cell carrier that's overpriced, disingenuous, falsely advertised garbage.
>Get raped by cell carrier. Buy new phones more often than you reasonably need to in order to conform to social feedback loops and make sure you get yours
These companies know, and they do coordinate. Probably directly, but maybe just implicitly. Then they test the waters. Make some thinktanks, do market research. And slowly figure how fast they can push things to shit without people reacting adversely enough to drop you.

All it takes is enough people on board for these shitheads to get their foot in the door. Then it's a self feeding cycle. Tribal behavior and perceived (or real) necessity does the rest. Enough people know the taste.

Fuck humanity. 0/10.
>>
File: Phones.jpg (1018 KB, 1920x1440) Image search: [Google]
Phones.jpg
1018 KB, 1920x1440
>>55006205
Old models haven't disappeared anywhere.

tfw lugging around "a brick phone" is ten times more comfy than a paper thin 5.5" smartphone with no soul
>>
>>55006205
What the fuck
>>
>>55008162
Well Apple has tried replacing the 3.5mm with their own one the entire 2000s.
>>
These changes aren't like the ones made in politics, many of those companies are reliant on neckbeards from /g/ for income, so if people hate the changes, they can show it with their money.
>>
>laptops without any upgrade option
>>
>>55008042
>tfw lugging around "a brick phone" is ten times more comfy than a paper thin 5.5" smartphone with no soul
yeah, sure

i bet you just took out that old nokia from the drawer without turning it on and took a picture
>>
>>55006205
Not really. Manufacturers are pushing those, but nobody really wants them.
>>
Doesn't the Mackbook only have USB/C?
>>
>>55006205
>earbuds with type c will cellphone dac's wont be used anymore and all the conversion will happen in the earbud itself, so worse quality.
wont happen
>like
>dislike
>dislike
>meh
>DISLIKE
>>
>>55009948
Huge thin rectangle is a worse shape than a huge brick.
>>
Why don't they just redesign the 3.5mm port to a strong magnetic one so that I don't get my IEMs ripped out of my ears when it gets caught on something.
>>
>>55006205

people still using the jack? BT spreakers are top sellers in amazon since 2007
>>
File: file.png (1 MB, 950x1425) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1 MB, 950x1425
Logan Browning is the only negress I would fuck
>>
>>55006205
>do you like the way technology is moving, /g/?
/g/ complained when floppy disk drives became phased out, don't ask them about shit like this
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.