[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33
File: 1448930933787.jpg (106 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1448930933787.jpg
106 KB, 800x600
Previously on: >>54976167

Welcome to /fglt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

IRC connection details:
Server: chat.freenode.net:6667 (no SSL, 6697 for SSL) - Channel: #flt
If you don't have an IRC client (which you should), go to https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt to use IRC on a web client.

Visit the Friendly GNU/Linux Thread/Website:
http://fglt.nl/

Resources:
man <insert command here>
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://www.gnu.org/
>>
It's that time of month again, pacaur refuses to update packages:
$ pacaur -Syu

:: Synchronizing package databases...
core is up to date
extra is up to date
community is up to date
multilib is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: spl-linux: installing linux (4.6.1-2) breaks dependency 'linux=4.5.4'
:: zfs-linux: installing linux (4.6.1-2) breaks dependency 'linux=4.5.4'
:: zfs-utils-linux: installing linux (4.6.1-2) breaks dependency 'linux=4.5.4'
:: Starting AUR upgrade...
:: resolving dependencies...
:: no results found for dependencies)

What does the error "no results found for dependencies)" mean? It just throws that and exits.
I assume it's something related to ZFS packages, but I don't want to reinstall them manually every time kernel updates. Any way to prevent that?
>>
File: 1440362383177.png (131 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1440362383177.png
131 KB, 1920x1200
>>54991585

· The "stable" distribution contains the latest officially released distribution of Debian.

The current "stable" distribution of Debian is version 8, codenamed jessie.

· The "testing" distribution contains packages that haven't been accepted into a "stable" release yet, but they are in the queue for that. The main advantage of using this distribution is that it has more recent versions of software.

The current "testing" distribution is stretch.

· The "unstable" distribution is where active development of Debian occurs. Generally, this distribution is run by developers and those who like to live on the edge.

The "unstable" distribution is always called sid.
>>
I'm curious, for a first distro, could anyone here sell Ubuntu (even without Unity) over Debian Testing? Heck, what even are the reasons to not use Debian Testing?
>>
Sorry to ask once more, but no one could help me on last week threads and posting on the arch forum didnt help.

Basically, I cloned my disk to a new one, larger, and ever since I keep receiving errors like
systemd-journald[179]: Failed to write entry (12 items, 337 bytes), ignoring: Cannot assign requested address

there is nothing but this error message when I type dmesg...

here is my full post : https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1631964

I'd be glad if someone can help me on this one. I'm about to do a fresh install but I want to understand what's wrong.
>>
>>54991714
One thing that I would add is that the names "testing" and unstable make it sound as if they're the only ones worth using, and that sid is a box of scraps stuck together with tape.

When debian release a new "stable", they don't just mean it's ready to go, they mean that release could reliably be used on a server expected to run for months on end without reboots.
Testing is only "testing" in the sense of making sure that things run as smoothly as possible for extraordinary lengths of time.

For comparison, I'd say that any given release of Windows is on the same level as, or slightly less stable than debain unstable (sid).
The closest they have to a testing branch is release candidates, and they don't actually have any stable releases at all, as the updates cover much more than just security fixes.
Maybe by service pack 2 or 3 you could consider a release of windows "stable", but by then everyone else is probably on the next version anyway.
>>
>>54991743
you posted this before and i answered before, basically, freeze and lazy people that don't want to edit a text file.
>>
>>54991819
Should I espect random breaking on sid like on Arch or is sid more stable? Anyone could share experiences?
>>
>>54991912
If you read the release notes for updates, it should be fine.
Never just blindly run updates without checking the notes, they only include them if there is something important to mention.
>>
What the fuck does Lord Autism even do all day on his laptop if he doesn't even browse the web properly? What projects is he working on? Does he just type things into the console?
>>
>>54992016
He's making the world a better place.
>>
File: 1440626713470.png (222 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1440626713470.png
222 KB, 1920x1200
>>54991714
>>
File: gentoo-g.png (16 KB, 180x180) Image search: [Google]
gentoo-g.png
16 KB, 180x180
I just installed gentoo, but when I try to do "emerge --ask xorg-server", I get an error that starts with "Fetch failed for 'sys-libs/libutempter-1.1.6-r1',"
>>
I've installed X and Xorg and shit before, but how to install wayland and sway? on arch?
>>
Post unknown, but potentially installed goodies.

Kickin' the ball with: xedit
>>
>>54991636
Where it this? Those are some nice trains.
>>
>I can install gentoo on any hardware with any config with a single try
>it took me over 20 tries to successfully install ubuntu in a way that it's actually bootable, and 90% of the tries the system didn't even install due to the installer bugging out
>still couldn't do any manual partitioning setup
>also if there's a lvm on the disk before the installer tries to partition it, the installer blocks forever with no indication thereof
UMMMMM FREETARDS?
>>
>>54993009
Zürich. Those are Cobra Trams.
>>
>>54991743
Not in its current state. The installer is broken and you'll never be able to install ubuntu if it's your first distro. However, ubuntu has more packages and doesn't shy away from proprietary packages so you can have your drivers and firmware without mocking around for days like you would in debian.
>>
Whats the most basic use of findimagedupes to check for duplicate images?
I just need it to echo the dupes of a single folder out so I can manually compare and then remove them
>>
>>54993011
I know it probably seemed like you were making a point when you wrote that, but nobody has a fucking clue what you are trying to say.
>>
>>54993089
Found the inbred
>>
>>54991912
Apt-listbugs makes you aware of problems before yoilu get them usually but it can break of course. You should at least read the wiki page before using it. And a bit of experience wouldn't hurt.
Only use aptitude or apt-get, never both on the same install.
>>
>>54992363
Wayland and xwayland are packages.
>>
File: Triggered.jpg (44 KB, 720x599) Image search: [Google]
Triggered.jpg
44 KB, 720x599
>>54993133
>>
>>54992712
Info, cmus, stterm (sometimes just st), cat, any gnu coreutil, imagemagick
>>
>>54993052
>mocking around for days
>sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
>add contrib and nonfree
>ctrl+x
>>
>>54993052
>more packages
Source? Debian has a fuckload of packages that get more updates than buntu.
>>
Why does every Distro have openbox as an additional DE alternative? Just have it automatically included for a speedier option.
>>
>>54993069
Anyone?
>>
fedora or manjaro?
>>
Why can't I flash coreboot through software like libreboot? I don't want to take my x220 apart for freedom.
>>
>>54991690
And another one bites the dust...
Just use other distros ya big dumb dumb
>>
Guys I have a question regarding Debian

I have GNOME installed right now. If I wanted to uninstall it and all its programs, so that I could replace it with LXDE or just openbox with tint2, what steps must I take?

Is it easier to just install Debian from scratch with LXDE, or is it perfectly doable from an existing installation that uses GNOME?
>>
>>54993069
>>54993353
cd ~/Somewhere ; findimagedupes *
>>
I just found out that one of my HDDs that I had in my drawer is actually an SSHD.

My current HDD is a 7200RPM 500GB and the SSHD is 500GB as well but the spinning part is 5400RPM.

Should I bother reinstalling the whole OS on the SSHD thingy or is the performance benefit so negligible It would only be a waste of time?
>>
>>54993544
>SSHD
I didn't even know those existed, I thought there were only HDD and SSD
>>
>>54993392
It's a minor annoyance for major benefit. I was just wandering if anybody was aware of how to fix it.
>>
>>54993544
No, it's good.
> reinstalling the whole OS
Acronis True Image or dd.
>>54993622
/g/, 2016.
>>
>>54993730
If you say so
>>
>>54993441
Sudo aptitude (or apt-get depending on what you used to install it) remove task-gnome-desktop
>>
>>54993227
Wow, you must be a wizard! You can download packages without an internet connection! Tell me your secret, wizard!
>>
>>54993800
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/
there is also ethernet for those of us that do not buy garbage. If everything fails, just put it on a usb mass storage device.
>>
>>54993800
Debian installer tells you exactly which firmware package you need to install for wifi to work, if it doesn't work right away with the non-free net install. To install those, you can either grab them from any other computer and plop them into a USB, or you can do it after installation via Ethernet from Debian itself.
>>
>>54993270
gr8 b8 m8
>>
>>54993864
>Debian installer tells you exactly which firmware package you need to install for wifi to work
I see you've never used debian before. How lucky of you.
>just install 30 packages by hand good goy
>hope you didn't get the wrong version of any package good goy
>debian is great, get it goy
>don't worry about the systemdick, it will only hurt a little good goy
>>
>>54993865
>can't prove claim you made
>better call it b8
debian has ~43000 packages in main that get updates even in the point release/stable. buntu has a track record of not giving backports for a lot of packages.
>>
I'm trying an exercise on parameter expansion...

TEMP1="hello"
TEMP2="world"

for i in 1 2
do
# here are a few things i've tried
echo ${$(echo TEMP)${i}}
echo $TEMP${i}
echo ${"TEMP"${i}}
done

I'm sure I'm over thinking it, but a hint would be great.
>>
>>54993886
>30 packages for wifi
>systemd discussion out of nowhere even if the debian wiki has instructions on how to not use systemd and supports that
>by hand instead of dpkg -i
>not being able to use nonfree installer
wew lad
>>
Is apt-get dist-upgrade a good idea or shiuld i just do a new installation?
>>
>>54994002
on what? Did you change your sources? On debian testing and unstable dist-upgrade is the normal upgrade process.
>>
>>54994002
For some reason, it always goes good on Debian stable, but I tried that on Ubuntu once... The system was messed up.
>>
>>54994002
>shiuld i just do a new installation?
Mint user detected
>>
>>54993735
Sorry to highjack but after cloning with dd I was hit by the problem described in >>54991749
Do you know a fix?
>>
>>54994022
>>54994036
Should have mentioned i use kubuntu
>>54994054
Fuck off
>>
>>54994113
No, I don't. People at redhat suggest a workaround for that - https://access.redhat.com/discussions/2100681
Try journalctl --verify and remove a corrupted file. Maybe it'll fix it.
They also suggest logrotate, but this is pajeet tier, IMO.
>>
>>54994225
Logrotate is god tier. Systemd is what's pajeet tier.
>>
>>54994266
Yes, but not in this case.
> your log files become corrupted every 10 minutes or so, let's replace them every 10 minutes, that'll fix it!
>>
How much experience should I have before trying to install gentoo?
>>
>>54991690
You have programs that have not been updated to 4.6 kernel,you can clealy see this in the error message.
It is blarely obvious what needs to happen.
>>
>>54993339
openbox is a wm,not a de.
It can be used on any distro.
>>
>>54994419
You should be able to compile a kernel, navigate around, know how to read man pages, be able to read the installation manual, partition, be patient, and you should have a high frustration tolerance.
>>
>>54994433
Yes, I know how to fix it manually: remove ZFS, update kernel, install ZFS. But it's completely stupid that I have to do that by myself while pacaur just sits there with a dumb error message.
It could just run through those three steps for me, I asked to see if anybody knows how to make it do that.
>>
>>54994485
How do I learn to compile a kernel?
>>
>>54994504
Learn by doing
>>
>>54994504
kernel.org
>>
>>54994487
No.
ZFS will only use the listed kernel version. If you remove it and update to 4.6 then go to reinstall it, you will get the same error, that it needs
There is nothing pacuar can do in this situation,because it isnt there to solve problems like this, it is your choice of how to do this.
>>
>>54994419
As long as you can follow this you should be able to install it.
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Gentoo#Instructions_for_installing_Gentoo
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (20 KB, 480x299) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
20 KB, 480x299
>trying to work on a nearly 10 year old laptop with 2gigs of RAM with a VM and a firefox open
send money pls
>>
>>54991912

>random breaking on sid like on Arch

You should stop believing and spreading myths and false information on the internet first. Maybe gain some first hand experience.
>>
>>54991636
Where was this picture taken?

Looks a lot like the public transport around here from a few years ago.
>>
>>54994556
>If you remove it and update to 4.6 then go to reinstall it, you will get the same error
I just did it, just like the past times I've done it, and it worked without any errors. Dunno what your problem is, famalam.
Would have preferred if pacaur ran three commands for me, but I guess I chose the wrong OS to complain about stuff like this.
>>
>>54994651
>but I guess I chose the wrong OS
Correct. You should install gentoo instead, it's superior in virtually every way.
>>
>>54994651

Pacaur has nothing to do with your OS. It's not a part of it. Using Arch "regularly" wouldn't give you these problems.

It's people like you who install half of the packages in the AUR and then complain that something "broke".
>>
How can I install gnome on wayland like in Fedora but on Ubuntu?
>>
>>54994651
It does not get anymore apparent then what is listed below.
:: spl-linux: installing linux (4.6.1-2) breaks dependency 'linux=4.5.4'
:: zfs-linux: installing linux (4.6.1-2) breaks dependency 'linux=4.5.4'
:: zfs-utils-linux: installing linux (4.6.1-2) breaks dependency 'linux=4.5.4'
>>
>>54991912
Yes, sid breaks a lot. Fedora is newer and doesn't break ever. No reason to use sid. Debian is a server distro.
>>
>>54994692
Nah, this works for me. And I sure do enjoy not compiling several packages of updates per day on multiple devices.

>>54994706
>Pacaur has nothing to do with your OS
That's not what I meant.
I meant if I wanted everything to work smoothly I should have gotten a Macbook where everything [reportedly] just works.

But the crucial part is that pacaur has everything to do with both native packages and AUR packages. As far as I'm concerned, my situation, while being an edge case, is affected by bug that should be fixed.

>>54994710
Because "hey idiot, run these three commands to unbreak your package manager" is good software design.
I don't care how apparent it is if I have a chore of fixing what should be handled by the package manager.
>>
Do I have to know how to program to use linux?
>>
>>54994851
absolutely not
source: haven't learned how to program in 8 years of using GNU/Linux
>>
>>54994709
You can use a source (maybe per PPA) for gnome 3.20 and upgrade. Make sure you have wayland, libwayland and xwayland.
>>
>>54994787
>using sid for a year now, still no breaking
i actually installed so that i can report bugs and fix stuff in case it breaks. I inly had deadbeef not working for 3 hours once before it was fixed. Maybe i should try some huge DE.
>>
>>54993886
I've used Debian as my primary operating system for 2 years now. I think you're the one talking out of your ass.
>>
>>54994845

> As far as I'm concerned, my situation, while being an edge case, is affected by bug that should be fixed.

Report it on the Pacaur bug tracker then.

>I don't care how apparent it is if I have a chore of fixing what should be handled by the package manager.
Pacaur isn't an package manager. It's an AUR helper. Those aren't officially supported and only an idiot would blame Arch (or any distribution in similar scenarios) for its shortcomings. Sticking to Pacman and the official repositories wouldn't end in such a problem.
>>
>>54994925
I admit I haven't used it in many years, maybe things have changed.
>>
File: 1281292279719.jpg (24 KB, 208x210) Image search: [Google]
1281292279719.jpg
24 KB, 208x210
>Laptop from 1999
>No boot from USB
>Burn Plop Boot Manager to CD-Rom
>Put Lubuntu alternate on USB
>Boot into Plob
>Select Boot from USB
>Hangs at the Syslinux splash screen
Oh no
>>
>>54994986
Can confirm, been using Sid for a while now and it's a buttery smooth experience. Apt-listbugs and common sense when updating have kept me completely safe
>>
>>54994956
>Pacaur isn't an package manager
My bad, poor choice of words.

>only an idiot would blame Arch
I already said that it's not what I meant. What I said was more a critique of myself that of the OS, for that matter. It's me being a special snowflake by installing obscure packages on an obscure repository of an obscure OS and expecting things to work 100% of the time.
>>
Is the difference in performance between LXDE and pure Openbox big or negligible?

What are some advantages of using one over the other?
>>
>>54995032
One is a de, the other is a wm
>>
>>54994062
Then you won't get the jew's gold. Installing Gentoo is some sort of milestone, in my view. Like losing your virginity or killing a man in cold blood. It's the kind of thing that will haunt you if you get to your +40 without doing it.
>>
>>54995032
I personally like picking all the software I use myself, but if you like what LXDE provides there is no shame in using it.
>>
>>54995136
Ive bounced back to gentoo multiple times,because i like its ideas better then RHEL and etc.
It just isnt viable for daily use.It limits so many nessecary drivers. I dont want to spend a day updating ,only then to find the next day after spending a day compiling, i then have to spend another day compiling.
Its not viable for daily desktop use.
>>
>>54993025

>tv monitors not smashed or stolen
>no graffiti everywhere
>no thugs all over the place

knew it wasn't America
>>
>>54995185
At least use gentoo even once before shitposting about it.
>>
Hey seasoned linux veterans, can you help me out getting sound to work in debian kde?

The thing is, I had it working yesterday after just randomly switching stuff in alsamixer and phonon settings but one day later I'm back to the silent treatment.

pic kinda related (only about half of the available 'channels')

phonon setting are even more cluttered with entries.

What I'm looking for is just to narrow down the relevant items so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life on this.
>>
File: 2016-06-09-213300_926x751_scrot.png (133 KB, 926x751) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-09-213300_926x751_scrot.png
133 KB, 926x751
>>54995437
none of them make any sound when 'Test' is played. Although some of them clearly did work a day ago. Fucking magic.
>>
>>54995437
post .asoundrc
>>
>>54994225
Journalctl --verify didn't fixed the issue.
Thank you for the reply though.
>>
>>54995531
I.. I don't have one...
>>
>>54995643
Throw this in it
[code
pcm.!default {
type hw
card 0
}

ctl.!default {
type hw
card 0
}

[/code]
>>
File: 1454191486765.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1454191486765.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>54992712
xmessage -nearmouse 'Ur a faget.'
>>
>>54993147
Thanks.
>>
>>54993926
Filename Expansions:

Pattern Matches
* # Every file in the current directory.
? # Files consisting of one character.
?? # Files consisting of two characters.
??* # Files consisting of two or more characters.
Pattern Matches
Pattern Matches
Filename Expansions:

Pattern Matches
* # Every file in the current directory.
? # Files consisting of one character.
?? # Files consisting of two characters.
??* # Files consisting of two or more characters.
[abcdefg] # Files consisting of a single letter from a to g.
[gfedcba] # Same as above.
[a-g] # Same as above.
[a-cd-g] # Same as above.
[a-zA-Z0-9] # Files that consist of a single letter or number.
[!a-zA-Z0-9] # Files that consist of a single character not a letter or number.
[a-zA-Z]* # Files that start with a letter.
?[a-zA-Z]* # Files whose second character matches a letter.
*[0-9] # Files that end with a number.
?[0-9] # Two character filename that end with a number.
*.[0-9] # Files that end with a dot and a number.

Filename Expansion with Directories:

Pattern Matches
* # All non-invisible files.
abc/* # All non-invisible files in directory abc.
abc/.* # All invisible files in directory abc.
*/* # All non-invisible files in all subdirectories below.
*/.* # All invisible files in all subdirectories below.

1/2
>>
>>54993926
Variable Expansions:

${#variable} # Find the length of the string.
${variable^} # Uppercase single.
${variable^^} # Uppercase all.
${variable,} # Lowercae single.
${variable,,} # Lowercase all.
${variable~} # Swap case single.
${variable~~} # Swap case all.
${variable%pattern} # Remove from shortest rear (end) pattern.
${variable%%pattern} # Remove from longest rear (end) pattern.
${variable#pattern} # Remove from shortest front pattern.
${variable##pattern} # Remove from longest front pattern.
${variable/pattern/string} # Find and replace (only replace first occurrence).
${variable//pattern/string} # Find and replace all occurrences.
${variable?string} # Complain if undefined.
${variable-string} # Use new value if undefined.
${variable+string} # Opposite of the above.
${variable=string} # Use new value if undefined, and redefine.
${variable:?string} # Complain if undefined or null.
${variable:-string} # Use new value if undefined or null.
${variable:+string} # Opposite of the above.
${variable:=string} # Use new value if undefined or null, and redefine.
${variable:num1:num2} # Substring:Offset:Length.

Fucked up the first part, but who cares. 2/2
>>
Arch. How can I stream all sound using pulse audio? I already have pulseaudio-alsa installed, but gnome continues using alsa.
>>
File: 1444874877040.jpg (86 KB, 768x768) Image search: [Google]
1444874877040.jpg
86 KB, 768x768
>>54994597
http://www.panter.ch/pantalk-rms.html
Also check out the video. It's pretty good.
>>
File: 1447666993550.png (17 KB, 657x527) Image search: [Google]
1447666993550.png
17 KB, 657x527
>>54994787
>ftw memers still trying to spread disinformations
>>
File: 1406280240566.gif (3 MB, 343x400) Image search: [Google]
1406280240566.gif
3 MB, 343x400
>>54991636

How do I search installed packages efficiently? Ubuntu/gnome 16.04. Tried aptitude and dpkg -l but having trouble. I want to install all of vim that comes default so I can build from source with python options for plugins.

dpkg -l | grep vim -- gives me two but neither one seems to be installed or that is the mention I get when I try to apt-get remove them. sudo apt-get remove vim tells me its not installed but somehow vim still opens on the terminal.
>>
>>54995862
Tell gnome to use pulse, pulse is layer upon alsa.
Check your gnome settings or similar. Or setup your .asoundrc to use pulse
>>
>>54996072

Also tried sudo apt-get remove vim vim-runtime gvim vim-tiny vim-common vim-gui-common

Just said nothing was installed except gvim which it says its a virtual package and cannot be removed. gvim brings up a gvim window now that I check.
>>
>>54996072
Haven't used debian based in a long time so I'm not sure the exact command but it's something like dpkg builddep vim or something. Look up ubuntu builddep on search engine maybe.
>>
>>54996112
>>54996072

I fucked up I want to uninstall all vim that comes default so I can install a build of it. Looking to search and find all vim installed currently for removal.
>>
>>54996072
>How do I search installed packages efficiently?
apt-cache search <pkg>
>so I can build from source
apt-get build-dep <pkg>
>>
does compton cause flickering menus in kodi for anyone else? anyone know how to fix it?
>>
>>54996128
>>apt-cache search <pkg>
sorry, actually this only searches for all packages in the repo, for installed use aptitude (the "i" prefix indicates installed packages)
>>
>>54995666
ok, so I fixed it by... wait for it...

... plugging my amp in another output jack. The funny part - the headphones which are plugged in another jack also started working after switching the amp. I don't even know anymore.
>>
>>54996132
compton --config /dev/null --backend glx --vsync opengl-swc --paint-on-overlay
>>
>>54996175
thanks. do i just run that one time or do i need to start compton with those options every time?
>>
>>54996263
Just create a compton.conf file.
More info: man compton
>>
I just installed Xubuntu, and am trying to get my second hard drive all set up by following this:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/488213/how-to-add-a-second-hard-drive-to-an-already-installed-xubuntu-14-04

The first step he says:
>sudo dc3dd wipe=/dev/sdX in both cases sdX should be changed to sda, sdb, or whatever drive you are wiping.

I don't know what this sdX, sda, sdb stuff means. All I know is this is the hard drive I have:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840
>>
File: 1450453275443.jpg (17 KB, 299x383) Image search: [Google]
1450453275443.jpg
17 KB, 299x383
How to get rich with GNU/Linux knowlege?
>>
When did Fedora became the go-to distro for people who want to get shit done? Was after Linux Mint's hack?
>>
>>54996376
It's because the world revolves around me, and I switched to Fedora awhile back. I'm the only person who actually exists, so the world kind of moves in my direction.
>>
>>54996376
Fedora cares about freedom, but cares less about freedom with driver support. So newbs get 90% free shit that works out of the box, which is better than getting trolled by Canonical. The Mint hack just discovered more serious problems: http://www.techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/
>>
File: 480px-Deluge-Logo.svg.png (88 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
480px-Deluge-Logo.svg.png
88 KB, 480x480
Hello. Is the Open BitTorrent tracker dying? Most of the torrents I have here doesn't work well with it, makes my experience saddening... No success in contacting them. I don't know what to do in order to torrent, anymore. HELP, PLS!!!!
>Tracker Status: openbittorrent.com: Error:
>client: Deluge
>>
>>54996348

I dont know about rich but learn sql and go be a dba for a ok starter job.

Or teach people linux for money.
>>
>>54996348
Install Gentoo...
>>
>>54996348
>>>/rhel-support/
>>
Guys I have a question about LXDE on Debian

I've already used Debian w/Gnome with very little issues for about a year, but now that I did a clean install on another laptop of Debian with LXDE I can't seem to get wicd to scan for Wi-Fi. I already installed the correct wifi firmware.

How do I get wicd to detect it? I never needed to perform any additional configuration on GNOME, I'd just restart the machine after installing the firmware and everything would "jest werk"

So yeah. What do I do? Where do I start the diagnose? I'll be on ethernet for now.
>>
>>54994569
Sell your ass.
>>
File: 1440081701660.jpg (532 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1440081701660.jpg
532 KB, 1280x960
>>54996433
>>54996376

A hacker is someone who enjoys playful cleverness—not necessarily with computers. The programmers in the old MIT free software community of the 60s and 70s referred to themselves as hackers. Around 1980, journalists who discovered the hacker community mistakenly took the term to mean “security breaker.”

Please don't spread this mistake. People who break security are “crackers.”
>>
>>54996072
If you aptitude search it shows you which of the listed packages are installed.
>>
>>54996159
Audio problems are always fixed by the most trivial ways. Unfortunately these fixes are usually the last thing people try.
>>
>>54995185
>>54995295
What's wrong in his post? I have no clue about Gentoo.

>>54996406
a while*

>>54996433
Oh, so it's fucked then. It's the last time I follow a large group of people blindly. I'm glad I didn't settle for it.

>>54996545
Ok. Sorry, Mr. S.
>>
>>54996522
Is networkmanager installed? If yes, use nmtui, if not, make sure systemd doesn't cause problem and use what you have on your system.
>>
>>54996643
It's a clean Debian w/LXDE install, so no, networkmanager isn't installed. Only wicd, which is what it comes with out of the box.

How can I make sure systemd isn't causing problems?

If it is of any help, this is the output of sudo iwconfig

eth0      no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11abgn ESSID:off/any
Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=0 dBm
Retry short limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:off
Power Management:off

lo no wireless extensions.

And on the Wicd GUI config screen, I only see eth0 for the wired interface but nothing on the wireless interface part.
>>
>>54996625
Reinstalling a complete gentoo system with many massive packages like firefox, libreoffice, and KDE from scratch doesn't take 5 hours on a c2d. Almost nobody actually uses libreoffice or firefox instead of libreoffice-bin and firefox-bin. The fact is, 90% of packages are so fast to compile that there's no difference in install or update time between just downloading the updates or also doing a source install. Of the remaining packages, most take less than 5 minutes to compile on a C2D. Thus, the claim is rubbish. Nevermind the fact that even if you updated once every 6 months, you still wouldn't be upgrading your entire system at once, let alone if you were updating daily.
>>
>>54996545

I love nitpicking!

Actually, using something in a different way as it's supposed to be is a hack. Which makes security breakers "crackers" using "hacks" to "crack".

:^)
>>
>>54996685
>>54996643
Oh my goodness. Nevermind. I'm a retard, I just answered my own question.

The only thing I had to do was input 'wlan0' into the empty "wireless interface" slot in the GUI.

Solved. Although I'm puzzled why that didn't happen on its own.
>>
So, I started installing gentoo in a VM and -
when finished, is it possible to create an image of the installation and run it as main OS, outside of the VM?
>>
>>54993009
Agreed, looks very spacious, way better than the trams in amsterdam.
>>
>>54996450
Its a you problem.
>>
>>54996688
So both are right, the anon who called it "hack" and RMS, who refered to "crackers".
>>
>>54996522
Use netctl
>>
>>54996767
How do I fix myself?
Please, not this shit about suicide!
>>
Cinnamon 3, proprietary nvidia drivers
Chromium +html5 video player kills compositing performance.
Trying to move or resize any other windows happens at abysmal frame rates.
Firefox seems to be doing just fine. What could be the problem?
>>
>>54991636
Why is he using it?
The software the train uses isnt libre-free.
>>
>>54996817
>>54996175
>>
>>54996799
already answered myself
>>54996726
but thank you!
>>
File: 1448162874416.png (186 KB, 1233x957) Image search: [Google]
1448162874416.png
186 KB, 1233x957
>>54996826
>>
>>54996842
Cinnamon uses the Gnome compositor I think.
I'm not sure if I can replace it with compton.
>>
>>54994989
why didn't you just put lubuntu on the cd
>>
>>54996858
Even after fixing your problem, look in to netctl over nm,networkd.Always wored flawlessly with wireless for me
>>
>>54992331
problem with your network connection or the mirror
>>
>>54996817
Just use firefox with mpv through "open with"
>>
>>54996870
Im genuinly curious.
He has mentioned not using transit that have no alternative to using non-free software. But could he not have used a cab?
>>
Debian testing or unstable for daily driver general desktop/gaymen usages?
>>
File: ssr.webm (2 MB, 960x600) Image search: [Google]
ssr.webm
2 MB, 960x600
>>54996817
.webm related
It becomes unusable with both monitors on.
The tearing is from the recording program.
>>
File: 200_s.gif (39 KB, 304x200) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
39 KB, 304x200
>>54996980
I firmly refuse to install non-free software or tolerate its installed presence on my computer or on computers set up for me.

However, if I am visiting somewhere and the machines available nearby happen to contain non-free software, through no doing of mine, I don't refuse to touch them. I will use them briefly for tasks such as browsing. This limited usage doesn't give my assent to the software's license, or make me responsible its being present in the computer, or make me the possessor of a copy of it, so I don't see an ethical obligation to refrain from this. [...]

Likewise, I don't need to worry about what software is in a kiosk, pay phone, or ATM that I am using. I hope their owners migrate them to free software, for their sake, but there's no need for me to refuse to touch them until then. (I do consider what those machines and their owners might do with my personal data, but that's a different issue, which would arise just the same even if they did use free software. My response to that issue is to minimize those activities which give them any data about me.)

That's my policy about using a machine once in a while. If I were to use it for an hour every day, that would no longer be "once in a while" — it would be regular use. At that point, I would start to feel the heavy hand of any nonfree software in that computer, and feel the duty to arrange to use a liberated computer instead

[...]

As for microwave ovens and other appliances, if updating software is not a normal part of use of the device, then it is not a computer. In that case, I think the user need not take cognizance of whether the device contains a processor and software, or is built some other way. However, if it has an "update firmware" button, that means installing different software is a normal part of use, so it is a computer.
>>
Are the open source AMD drivers the ones from the Ubuntu software center or are those the shit ones?
>>
>>54997141
well, that's really fair.
>>
>>54996686
Ok. Thanks for the clarification. So is Gentoo a good distro for whenever I man up and feel like installing it, memes aside?
>>
>>54997103
Depends, i'd suggest using testing until something breaks and then upgrading to sid.
>>
>>54997322
Excuse me?
>>
Running Debian 8.5 testing and everytime I suspend and close my laptop, the display is frozen on wake. I've tried changing the HandleLidSwitch setting to 'ignore' (suggestion found through searching), but that hasn't helped. Any ideas on what else I should check?
>>
>>54997225
check the ATIhowto page on the debian wiki.
>>
>>54997364
Install stable, upgrade to testing (consult the wiki), use it until any package you use has a bug the is fixed already in unstable (this could take a while), upgrade to unstable (consult the wiki again) and use that.
>>
>>54997314
It's honestly the best distro I've ever used by far. The only two issues I've had with it are:
-you have to setup a script and run it after each kernel update to install it correctly and get grub to make an entry in the menu (just genkernel --install all && grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub.cfg will do though)
-some of the packages are badly maintained (e.g. a package that's over 5 years old is the only stable version, and the unstable version is actually the current upstream stable version from last month - but note that this is sometimes due to compatibility issues that other distros prefer not to bother with: they cater to the majority while gentoo ensures stability for the lowest common denominator)
Aside from that, it has the best package selection beside arch, and never broke on me even once in the past 6 years.
It is even more secure than other OSs on account of being able to compile in a fix immediately as a CVE is revealed: just drop the patch in your portage folder for that package and emerge it again.
>>
>>54997376
debian 8.5 is the stable version. Testing is stretch/9.
Do you have a swap partition or file?
>>
>>54997443
You're right, "8.5" is just the version I last remembered installing after failing several installs (due to GRUB not acknowledging my SSD (NVMe)). I'm on stretch/sid.

And yes, I have a swap partition:
>>
>>54997946
What exactly is frozen on opening? Can you move/see the cursor? Can you ctrl+alt+f1-f7? what happens if you press the power button for a short time when it is frozen?
>>
>>54997433
Could you please rephrase point two? What do you mean by "current upstream stable version from last month"?
>>
>>54997138
what about using compton?
>>
>>54998187

Everything goes unresponsive. No touchpad or keyboard activity, the clock doesn't update, no sounds or activity at all. I end up having to hard reboot.
>>
What folders should i sylink to /tmp?
Already link ~/.cache,~/.thumbnails.
Already have pacman and makpkg compile in /tmp. chrome and firefox profiles are set them(psd). Is there anything significant that i am missing?
>>
Does anyone else have that "Useful Linux software" infographic or something. I saw it floating around but I cant find it.
>>
File: 15_scrot.png (72 KB, 626x415) Image search: [Google]
15_scrot.png
72 KB, 626x415
how to have thumbnails in Qt4/5 File dialog?
>>
when i use VLC to play twitch streams using livestreamer, VLC acts really weird

the video is like a 720p version of the stream that refuses to be resized (even if the stream is 1080p)

if i go fullscreen, the video is still this 720p box surrounded by black borders, and the video being rendered is for some reason not even part of the VLC window, it's rendered above it or something

it's hard to describe, but if i drag the window around, the video being played lags around behind, and it even renders on top of other windows like firefox, and even any UI drop down menu i pull up is rendered under the video

i just installed livestreamer and VLC and i didn't touch any important options as far as i'm aware, just UI personal preference stuff

this is running on fedora 23 and a thinkpad x260
>>
>>54998894
What would suggest for an android delivery tracker? 20 packages are all arriving throught the week next week.
All the ones i've seen restrict basic functionality unless you pay for it, and the free ones hace 75% of the viewable space ridden with ads.
>>
>>54999065
What the fuck did I just read
>>
>>54999101
What would suggest for an android delivery tracker? 20 packages are all arriving throught the week next week.
All the ones i've seen restrict basic functionality unless you pay for it, and the free ones hace 75% of the viewable space ridden with ads
>>
Is there an installer for debian similar to the arch installer?

I'm not sure if I can do the encryption setup I want with the regular installer. Is there some better solution for this?
>>
>>54999101
>What the fuck did I just read

>What would suggest for an android delivery tracker? 20 packages are all arriving throught the week next week.
All the ones i've seen restrict basic functionality unless you pay for it, and the free ones hace 75% of the viewable space ridden with ads.
>>
How hard is it to move a Linux installation from one SSD onto a bigger one? I'm trying to decide if I settle for a 250GB, or drop the money on a 1TB.
>>
>>54999101
>What would suggest for an android delivery tracker? 20 packages are all arriving throught the week next week.
>All the ones i've seen restrict basic functionality unless you pay for it, and the free ones hace 75% of the viewable space ridden with ads.
>>
for a barebones arch installation, what programs would /g/ install? Here's my list:
tmux
clementine
htop
rtorrent
shutter
pv
progress
rsync
screenfetch
keepassx2
gimp
inxi
net-tools
xorg-xdpyinfo
cinelerra-cv
cmatrix
pcmanfm
filezilla
>>
>>54999065
I don't have any app suggestions, but why not get an adblocker?
>>
>>54999239
dd if=/dev/oldrive of=/dev/newdrive
>>
How much swap do I need for Arch on an X220 with 8 GB of RAM?
>>
>>54999337
I can just do that while running the installation I'm transferring?
>>
>>54999349
it might get autistic, it's probably safer to do it from a live thingy
>>
>>54998321
software X releases a new stable version of their software, Y.
1 month later, gentoo repos have Y marked as unstable and Y-5years marked as stable.
>>
>>54999041
The top right details view is selected. Change to icon view.
>>
>>54999337
Use ddrescue instead, it knows how to recover from corrupted or dead sectors and can perform data healing. dd just halts in those cases.
>>
>>54999349
Use a live cd. Also, don't forget to change your /etc/fstab to point to the new drive in the new installation.
>>
installed steam and this:

SteamUpdateUI: An X Error occurred
X Error of failed request: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)

Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 64bit

tried to install by:
sudo apt-get install steam
>>
Plasma 5 is so fucking nice! 0% tearing!

This is awesome! Everything run smooth.
>>
Where do people get those fonts that look kinda like pixel art (as opposed to an actual rendered font)? Maybe a stupid question but I don't know the term for it. I only see those type of fonts on Linux rice threads.
>>
>>54998819
Anything temporary. Everything in /tmp will be flushed on reboot. However, unless you have /tmp on a separate partition or clear those dirs regularly, make sure you don't let it fill up - you could potentially crash your system from being out of disk space.
>>
>>54998187
Actually, I am able to get to another console/TTY/whatever... but it's just blank.
>>
>>54991636
I recently changed from Debian testing to unstable, but I want to change back.

Can I just go to /apt/sources/sources.list and change every instance of "sid" to "stretch", then run apt-get dist-upgrade, or will that fuck up my machine?
>>
>>54999495
use google
>>54999514
bitmap fonts
>>
>>54993392
>Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
>>
>>54991743
some people actually like Unity
>>
>>54996311
Same guy here, I went ahead and followed this youtube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2dBY_7E1R8

He does fstab, makes an entry for his drive and changes "relatime" to "noatime". I did the same, and restarted my computer and wouldn't boot. It kept saying try booting from Ubuntu (not Xubuntu, I know xubuntu is basically ubuntu, but I found this interesting nonetheless), and I would do ctrl+d over and over.

So, I reinstalled Xubuntu and when I was doing that, the installer thought Ubuntu was already installed (I have no idea if that's significant, just including it for completion).

So what went wrong?
>>
File: 26x415_scrot.png (52 KB, 626x415) Image search: [Google]
26x415_scrot.png
52 KB, 626x415
>>54999450
>>
File: crash_lowres.jpg (676 KB, 1577x2286) Image search: [Google]
crash_lowres.jpg
676 KB, 1577x2286
Is a guest account enough of a sandbox on Linux?

I just want to try out a few things and mess with some settings, without breaking my main install.
>>
>>54999185

Yeah, https://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/
just uncheck everything basically
>>
>>54999185
Debian uses LVM on LUKS last I recall. But if you already have an encrypted setup, never trust a graphical installer to deal with that.

The netinstall is nothing like the Arch install.

And the golden rule, try it in a VM first.
>>
Installing arch for the first time with architect, I'm spooked by the audio installation. What is best?
>>
>>54999295
Ad blockers dont work in secondary apps.
I had adblock running system wide via root, but it never did anything.
>>
>>54999534
tmp is mounted via tmpfs to the ram(16gb)
>anything temp
Im trying to find what else should be symlinked to it, im not coming up with anything besides what i listed.
>>
>>55000793
>The netinstall is nothing like the Arch install.
literally just boot any Debian cd, switch to a console, and do everything the exact same but replace pacstrap with debootstrap
>>
What would the most unessecary, multilevel, asinine quality. system encryption?
I have a 3 day weekend.
>>
>>54999345
I'd say none...
>>
>>55000925
>doesn't block ads system-wide via hosts file
Look up Adaway anon, thank me later.
>>
>>54999495
Search engine.

Steam does not work on ubuntu without deleting some files.
>>
>>55001049
/home, /, /var, /usr encrypted individually with dm-crypt plain mode with different parameters. You could of course split /home into sub partitions for more passwords. /home isn't mounted on boot.

You could keep your /boot on a flash drive that you carry with you at all times.
>>
>>54991636

> looking for a Python editor that is a little bit more palatable than vim or emacs or gedit or whatever the fuck
> google "python IDE"
> end up trying to install 3 different IDEs from the wiki before settling on something called "Spyder"
> end up with 200mb of shit that I downloaded as a dependency for the first ones I tried
> get in a paradigm were I just blindly type shit into the terminal from stack overflow until it works because I'm trying to be productive
> ended up with "SElinux" installed but disabled, an older version of Eclipse that no longer works with Java 8, accidentally extracted a file onto my desktop
> had to click through a prompt about something called "Grub" at one point
>>
>>55001724
>a prompt about something called "Grub" at one point
lol
>>
Alright, retarded person here, I am trying to set my theme to Windows 95 or 98 on linux mint, I have DLd
https://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Classic95?content=157298

and

https://github.com/paldepind/Gtk98Icons#readme

but when I place them in the .themes folder nothing happens. (the tweak tool does not display either of them as an option.) sorry for being a faggot, first time linux user.
>>
>>55001867
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/
>>
>>55001867
Put the stuff into /usr/share/icons/ and /usr/share/themes/ .
>>
My flash drive is play tricks on me.
It throws out io errors when i use it.But filling it multile times with /dev/urandom, it never faults.
I was in various liveusb's and it always came up when i was going to finish the bootstrap.
What the hell is going on
>>
>>55002191
I think i tried that, I put the Classic95 folder in the usr/share/themes. do i have to split it up in icons and themes?
>>
>>54993009
Zurich. My parents recently moved there and when I went to visit them and was very surprised by these trams.
>>
>>55002235
>do i have to split it up in icons and themes
Yep. Also check if the directorys content was extracted correctly. The theme directory's name should be the theme name and the content should be something like gtk... openbox... metacity... then it should shouw up so you can select it.
>>
>>55002272
Jesus christ, I need sleep. Fuck you thread. o/
>>
>>55002272
the content is folder for the 98 is only "scalable", "index.theme" and a README that says I just need to install by downloading to /.icons
>>
>>55002349
I see, create a directory called "Gtk98Icons" and put the directory "scalable" in there. The result should look like this:
icons/Gtk98Icons/scalable
>>
How can I make my folders accessible within home network?
>>
>>55002380
alright, It looks like I've gotten the icons working, but still the theme is not entirely windows 98 (as in the panel and everything else that is not the icons)
>>
>>55002442
Looks like https://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Classic95?content=157298 is actually just another icon theme, try searching a gtk theme.
>>
>>55002508
Is there any place you might know where I can get a gtk theme? I have been searching for hours, and those were the two i found, I'm probably missing something obvious
>>
>>55002508
>>55002535
wait shit, the gtk theme is Xfce-Redmond thanks for the help
>>
>>55000925
Adaway and MinMinGuard.
>>
https://slashdot.org/story/00/05/01/1052216/thus-spake-stallman
>>
>>55002380
alright now i am having the same trouble with this

https://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Xfce-Redmond?content=100112

I followed the same steps as with the icons and it hasn't registered in the tweak tool
>>
Is
auditctl -a entry,always -S <program>

The same as
auditctl exit,never -S <program>

?
>>
Should I switch from fedora to gentoo?
>>
>>55003128
I would
>>
>>55003128
I wouldn't
>>
is it possible to set an animated wallpaper ? Like a gif or a webm.
I searched it a bit, and I'm gonna try some stuff, but I would like to know if someone already tried that and what DE / software you used.
>>
>>55003208
plen
>>
>>54999511
One more anon seeing the light
>>
>>54999511
>>55003382
>implying tearing is DE related
>>
>>55003251
With mpv (or mplayer), basically everything that has an option to use the root window. If you're going to try it, make sure to disable your "real" wallpaper before. Depending on the wallpaper setter or the player, one could be above of the other.
>>
File: what.png (532 KB, 1348x1180) Image search: [Google]
what.png
532 KB, 1348x1180
Sup.

How are the *buntu FOSS AMD drivers? Any good for gayman?

16.04 doesn't support the proprietary AMD fglrx drivers.
>>
shutdown -Ph
or
shutdown -hP
That is the question.
>>
>>55003565
natural sort; uppercase first
>>
>>55003563
Yes it does.
>>
>>55003565
poweroff
>>
>>55003163
>>55003208
>.>
>>
>>55001724

Wow, this is the most retarded shit I've read all day and I've been browsing 4chan for 4 hours now. I hope it is bait.

>>55003565

Uppercase first.
>>
>>55003611
>yes it does

How so? Do you mean you just dpkg -i the file?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.