[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Operating System Thread >What OS do you use? >Advantages
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3
File: coplandos.jpg (30 KB, 467x350) Image search: [Google]
coplandos.jpg
30 KB, 467x350
Operating System Thread
>What OS do you use?
>Advantages over other OSs
>Disadvantages?
>why did you choose that OS?
>>
Linux (Ubuntu)
Over non-Linux OSes, I can run it with very low resource overhead. Over other flavors of Linux, it was easy enough to install that even I could do it.
A few seemingly simple things are far more complicated than they need to be.
Windows 10 bothered me too much and was too demanding on the computer for providing me absolutely nothing special at idle.
>>
> What OS
Wingwangdingdangs 7/8.1/10
> Advantages
Widespread use, lots of help if needed, does what I want it to easily, troubleshooting is easy, haven't yet run into a problem I haven't been able to either fix or bypass
> Disadvantages
Largely locked down, later versions spy on users (which is why I don't use them), not a lot of customisation without third party software.
> Why did you choose it
It's just what I've always used. I've tried Linux Mint and Ubuntu at various times, but I've never sat down and decided to use them exclusively for any length of time, even though they would certainly be useful and interesting to learn.
>>
>>54937141
at the moment Iam running fedora but Iam thinking of change to ubuntu or xubuntu.
>>
>>54937141
Debian GNU 8.5
Entirely free as long as you stick to "main" and just works all the time
Been in development by tons of security experts and for years and is strict about free software, also is really good with X and Openbox
>>
>>54937141
Xubuntu on my personal old'ish laptop.
Win 8 on my company laptop for work.
>>
>What OS?
OSX
Very stable and it's somewhat minimal so allows me to work without many distractions. Also has a linux based CLI
>Disadvantages?
Few games and the system software is mostly locked
I needed something that i wouldn't eventually fuck up and keep installing like windows but with the dev tools similar that linux has to offer.
>>
>>54937141
Windows 7.
Stability and plenty of software available.
Botnet
Because linux doesn't have a parametric EQ and win 10 adds more botnet so i'm stuck with this.
>>
>>54937141
>>What OS do you use?
Wangblows 10
>>Advantages over other OSs
It just werks, able to use proprietary software and free software. Best of both worlds.
>>Disadvantages?
Le botnet maymay, only affects you if you have a cp stash.
>>why did you choose that OS?
Because I'm not a pedophile.
>>
>>54937141
Debian GNU/Linux 9
Limix for low overhead and easy maintainability, Debian for number of packages, freedom, and habit, Testing for more recent packages.
None for me, but I understand that the terminal might seem daunting for a new user.
I sometimes use a windows partition for gayming to ensure minimal issues.
>>
Win10 on Desktop, Manjaro on Laptop
I use Win10 for muh games and also for the obscure programs I have to use for some of my classes. I use manjaro because I essentially wanted Arch but couldn't be bothered installing it again.
My current manjaro setup uses XFCE with i3 as the WM and while most things just work there's a few things that need to be configured manually and set up but that's just a trade off of having it a lot of customization options. While windows on the other hand has a lot less customization it's either do it the way microsoft wants you to do it or not do it all.

Win10 for games and Manjaro for a pre-installed arch so that I can have a lightweight tiling window manager machine without having to fuck around too much.
>>
>>54937141
TempleOS, because every true believer knows why. All the other OSes are for non-believers...
>>
>>54937141
>What OS do you use?
Arch
harder to set up
faster
>Disadvantages?
not as difficult as gentoo
I got both bored and tired of windows
>>
>>54937141
Windows 10 Enterprise (from MSDN, not a pirated one).

I'm happy with it.
>>
Winblows
Everything works and is easy, many options for deep system insight and anti-malware
Bloated, insecure, telemetry, dumb out of box config
I need to get work done
>>
>What OS
Botnet 10

>Advantages
No "Would you like to upgrade to Windows 10?"

>Disadvantages
Windows 10 = Botnet 10

>Why did you choose it
Microsoft wouldn't fuck off
>>
>>54938619
You can disable everything but the most basic data collection in Enterprise which they take for system updating reasons etc. and if you truly are Stallman tier tinfoil block the Windows connections in router.
>>
>>54937141
>>>What OS do you use?
Debian Sid with dwm
Free software, nice and helpful community, uses little resources
>>Disadvantages?
some people have difficulties using my computer
Because of the DFSG and the community.
>>
Operating System Thread
>What OS do you use?
Qubes OS
Clearly security while still beeing usable
>Disadvantages?
Needs a lot of resources + you need a lot of time to actually be able to use it productive
Gave up windows, wanted to choose something secure for the future.
>>
>>54937141
>Windows 10
>Games, low amount of knowledge needed to use,very common, decent support, compatibility
>shitty default development environment, no default package manager, no freedom, retarded shit like using "\" instead of "/" (fuck you,gates)or the ctrl -d to ctrl -z for EOF.

I tolerate using Windows because I like to game, and it "just works" most of the time, with most things. The development environment can be fixed by installing cygwin, or other programs like choclately, and using a different shell.

Anything a Linux OS can do a Windows OS can do too, but not better.
>>
>What OS do you use?
Win7 & Ubuntu on desktop, Antergos on laptop.
Makes my cock feel nice.
>Disadvantages?
Sometimes my cock feels so nice that I don't get anything else done.
To make my cock feel nice.
>>
>>54937141
Gentoo.
Useflags.
None.
Fun.
>>
>>54938839
>decent support
t. someone that never had to deal with microsoft customer support.
>>
File: 1464848676328.gif (448 KB, 500x535) Image search: [Google]
1464848676328.gif
448 KB, 500x535
>>54937141
>What OS do you use?
WIN7
Linux: Program support. photoshop, after effects, illustrator maya, solidworks, inventor, mpc-hc
Apple: Is a gimped OS that don't want you to install it on anything other than their overpriced hardware, Makes you appear like a homosexual.
>Disadvantages?
Will eventually be un-sopported.
For the reasons above.
>>
>Arch
>nothing out memes it
>gentoo exists
>4teh3pi1c maymays
>>
>>54937141
Five tips about Gentoo
>Gentoo
>It's Gentoo!
>none
>Because Gentoo
>>
>>54937141
>What OS
Debian 8 and botnet 10
>advantage/disadvantage over other OS/why that OS
I don't give a shit. These two are just the ones I know that gets the job done.
>>
>>54938656
you mean install gentoo you retard
>>
>>54939127
that's 4 tips dumbass
>>
OSX
It has actual software that wasn't made by freetards who never moved past the nextstep aesthetic.
Near impossible to maintain on non Apple hardware. You thought Arch updates broke your system? Hackintosh updates are a special kind of hell.
Because I'm into graphic and web design and all the good software is on Windows and OSX so I picked the less retarded of the two. Also, it looks pretty on my XPS 13. It's like a black MacBook.
>>
>Windows 10
>Mainstream support. Lots of exclusive features like dx12.
>Windows. Built in spyware.
>It's newer and I wanted the features that would be exclusive to it. Also, it's just fine once all the spyware is turned off.
>>
>>54937141
>What OS do you use?
Arch Linux on my laptop
Windows 10 on my desktop
Arch is light, simple, just what I want on my system and nothing more.
Windows 10 has the adobe suite and video games, and DX12.
>Disadvantages?
Arch is, as an intermidiate linux user, sometimes difficult to use. But i'd like to think im learning and getting better.
Windows 10 has, atleast in comparison to Linux, very poor customization options, its a very locked down system. Also viruses and licences and all that shit.
>Why did you choose that OS?
Arch because i wanted something minimal to put on my laptop, also its my favorite Linux distribution.
Windows 10 because it largely just lets me get shit done, the video editing, vector art, gaming sort of shit.
>>
>>54937182
This post is so accurate to my own opinion that it's almost creepy. Do I have a twin out there somewhere?
>>
>>54937637
>Also has a linux based CLI
you mean it's unix-based
>>
>>54937141
> What OS do you use?
Windows, mostly.

> Advantages over other OS's
Compatibility with Exchange, Active Directory

> Disadvantages
Cost

> Why did you choose that OS?
At the time, Microsoft and Novell were the only two companies that had any real compelling centralized login and policy management, and Novell was dying. Still spend a lot of time with powershell, but CentOS appears to have some alternatives to AD.
>>
File: 001.jpg (12 KB, 280x200) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
12 KB, 280x200
>>54937637
>linux based CLI
>>
>>54938788
How much more resources does it need?
>>
>>54940304
Just three more. So you need 8 total resources to run Qubes. It is the OS of choice for feminists like Anita or Zoe Quinn. Even mootikins and W.T. Snacks use it. I feel so in control using it. Like i'm a god. Applications are only allowed to do what i say. I could be playing gameboy roms one minute or hacking the gibson the next. All securely and privately
>>
>>54937141
>What OS do you use?
Gentoo Hardened
Flexible
>Disadvantages?
Maintenance overhead
Flexibility
>>
>>What OS do you use?
Debian 8
it does what i want it to do
>>Disadvantages?
None
Every other os is shit
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.