[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
$1750 6950X uses thermal paste under heatspreader
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: 6950x.png (535 KB, 611x588) Image search: [Google]
6950x.png
535 KB, 611x588
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06zzSSeJr70

You can't make this shit up anymore, why didn't they solder the IHS on?
>>
because 90% of the time, anyone who buys something like that is going to take the IHS off, and place the heatsink right on the die.
>>
>>54877725
The one thing I REALLY don't get is why do they put the top cap back on. I mean, it's just useless thermal resistance. If you care so much about cooling anyway, just put a custom heat exchanger directly onto the die.
>>
>>54877725
In this case its entirely cost savings. During packaging a certain number of dies still break, and they're more likely to break while an IHS is being soldered on with flux. Thermal compound pressed into place is lower risk.

>>54878583
No, 99.999999% of people never ever do this. The customer base for i7 Extreme processors are prosumers looking for a workstation without paying for enterprise boards and Xeons.
They are not going to delid their processors, they're going to stick it in the board, and never touch it again.
>>
>tfw intelcucks sprung up immediately to defend this
>>
Why are intel such jews? How hard is it to solder the heatsink on?
>>
>>54877725
This is not Thermal Paste.
It is soldered with Indium like the other
soldered Intel cpus in the past.
>>
File: latest[1].png (35 KB, 749x946) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
35 KB, 749x946
>>54877725
Wouldn't the aluminium damage the pads on the bottom of the chip?
>>
>>54878583
Well shilled, friend!
>>
File: 1457829877379.jpg (33 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1457829877379.jpg
33 KB, 625x626
>>54877725
>>
>>54877725
I tried to find out.
Maybe this: http://overclocking.guide/the-truth-about-cpu-soldering/

I don't understand why Intel wouldn't choose a superior method if it wouldn't cost them much but gave their consumers a better product which would make them more competitive.
>>
>>54879217
Giving all the issues intel has had with their 14nm node, even up til recently with desktop Skylake, I'm willing to bet that functional 10 core 14nm dies capable of hitting target clocks are yielding single digits. The big 14nm Xeon E5s aren't exactly flowing out the doors, and they are pretty damn expensive even for an intel enterprise chip.

Basically the top binned Broadwell-E is expensive because volume is super low, and its using TIM so less are lost to packaging defect.
>>
>>54879217
Am I retarded or is this shill faggot completely ignoring the fact that it's already been done plenty of fucking times already?
>>
>>54879318
Yes, his write up is full blown damage control.
>>
>>54879318
Ye I guess.

Does someone have a list of all Intel processors that were soldered?

>>54879305
>and its using TIM so less are lost to packaging defect.
I don't understand. Would using solder heighten the chances of killing the chips while packaging?
>>
>>54879430
Yes. Any time you add complexity to assembly you're increasing the chance of something breaking and losing a percentage of product.
>>
>>54879459
Oh that way, I see.
>>
>>54877725
So he was cleaning a die with razor blade? But why?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.