[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So after finding out my pc can use up to almost 600w under load,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 00.jpg (84 KB, 620x454) Image search: [Google]
00.jpg
84 KB, 620x454
So after finding out my pc can use up to almost 600w under load, I decided to do something about that.

I purchased a d2500 board and cpu(only 10w), to use for web browsing and general non demanding pc shit, and was about to scrap together a build with spare parts I had laying around.

>D2500
>4GB ram
>HD5450 GPU
>1.5TB western digital black
>2 monitors (1680x1050, 1440x900)

Only issue is the power supply. The only power supply I have spare is pic related, and I'm having trouble figuring out how low the minimum load on the psu is. I'm not expecting my system to use more than 50w when on, which means that at peak the system will only use 5% of the psu capacity.

The board and cpu only cost me 25aud, but I'd be disappointed if the psu killed it.

So tl;dr
Is this PSU safe to use for a pc that will peak at around 50w?
>>
>>54832303
I'd buy a new psu but I want to keep costs down where possible
>>
Honestly normal power supplies are supposed to say what the minimum load is on the side or at least in the manufacturer's spec.

Guess ATX PSUs don't.
According to this site, your PSU may have power resistors designed to waste energy to meet the minimum load requirements.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuunderload/mincurrent.html

Try running it by itself with ATX mobo pin 14 and 15 shorted, see if it turns on. Then you have your answer.

Best solution IMO is to buy a low spec PSU from SeaSonic and stuff your shit in a 1U rack chassis.
https://seasonic.com/product/ss-200-su-active-pfc-f0/

That way you're not wasting a shitload of power just converting 110/220V to 3.3/5/12V.
>>
>>54832475
Also, it's well known that NAS builds tend to run at 40W peak. Try looking at QNAP NASes and see where they get their power supplies from.
>>
>>54832475
It does run, but I once tested a psu with no load last year to try and build a charger that could charge 10+ 18650s, and the 5v rail read 8v on my multimeter. I looked it up and it has something to do with minimum load iirc.

That's what I'm worried about. It might have been a dodgy psu though, I don't know
>>
>>54832475
>>54832488
Thanks anon, I'll see if I can find something like that seasonic. The point of the build was to decrease power consumption since I'm not paying for it, and it would be a shame to see power being wasted like that.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.