[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 48
File: 1407603770498.jpg (67 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1407603770498.jpg
67 KB, 1024x768
/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Post all your small and stupid questions that doesn't deserve their own thread.
Redirect any retard to this thread using >>>/g/sqt

Previous thread : >>54808772

Read the sticky/wiki first and search before posting. Post code in code tags.
>>
I have an antec power supply but the label is on the bottom/side, against the bottom/side of my case. Is there any way to get the model number without removing it?

cpu-z told me my cpu/motherboard/ram/gpu, device manager told my hard drives. The power supply is the only component I'm missing.
>>
File: dumb shit.png (17 KB, 1008x580) Image search: [Google]
dumb shit.png
17 KB, 1008x580
i have a slightly older version of skype, the one right before the visual update (6.21 i think)
they keep pushing me to update but i don't want to, and now they've gone and disabled skype home. how do i get it back without updating?

also how do i get rid of those update popups? every solution i've found is only temporary and the longest one lasted only a week.
>>
i have a galaxy s3 and i'm having problems with the typing interface
i have huge thumbs and i type the wrong letter a lot, but for some reason it thinks all my typos (ypu, tjey, etc) are real words and it adds them to my dictionary and starts correcting actual words to my unintentional misspellings. no matter how many times i remove words from the dictionary they keep coming back and this keeps happening. it even corrects "random" strings of numbers.

also that blue thing gets in the way a lot when i'm trying to correct a word without backspacing everything.
how the hell do i fix this?
>>
Sooo I'm going to study CS on august and I thought It would be a good idea to get some experience beforehand but I have a problem. I know the basic syntax for many languages but when it comes to making something out of my own head my mind kinda goes blank. I was thinking Installing Linux on a spare PC I have and start doing stuff.
What distro should I use?
What are some programing challenges I can take step by step to improve?
>>
tried a few tools, cpu doesn't seem to be reporting its temperature to the os. it'll still shut down if it gets too hot, right? i figure something that important would be on the chip itself, Independent of mobo/os/ect
>>
>>54826158
how to reinstall windows 10
>>
>a friend of my mom accidentally updates to windows 10 from 7
>says they chose the option to go back to 7 during the install
>computer now won't boot into windows at all
Safe mode doesn't boot, automatic repair just gives an error saying there's a registry error, command prompt (which I'm not too experienced with) in recovery options starts in drive X: and can't find C:, other recovery options like system restore give an error before it even does anything.
Tried taking out the drive and hooking it up to see if I could just copy their docs since they want to get a new laptop anyway, but I can't access the user folder, and can't add myself to privileges (which I'm also not too familiar with), gives an error about being unable to do so.
They said they don't have a manufacturer disk and the sticker on the bottom with the windows key is worn off.
>>
>>54826020
>What distro should I use?
The distro doesn't really matter.
ubuntu, lubuntu, xubuntu... whatever.

>but when it comes to making something out of my own head my mind kinda goes blank
what kind of things are you trying to do ? what have you already done ? what languages you know ?
>>
>>54825624
Can I sell modems that people abandoned? A tech just told me that a missing modem is going for $600.

Where can I sell them and what do I need to know?
>>
>>54826179

sudo apt-get windows10 /reinstall
>>
>update motherboard bios
>second monitor not detected at all anymore, drivers are gone from device manager as well
what do I do now? It's just one fucking problem after another[spoiler]
All I want is to play shitty games man, I'm so fucking sick of bluescreens, event errors and random BS problems like this popping up all the time[/spoiler]
>>
>>54826190
>Tried taking out the drive and hooking it up to see if I could just copy their docs since they want to get a new laptop anyway, but I can't access the user folder, and can't add myself to privileges (which I'm also not too familiar with), gives an error about being unable to do so.
how did you do that ?

Usually a good way to do it is to take a live distribution of linux (ubuntu for example) and to boot on it. Instead of installing it you click on "try it".
There you'll be able to mount the drive and do whatever you want with it.
>>
>>54826325
Well it's a harddrive, not magic.
I plugged it in to one of those external drive bays on my own computer and read it like... an external drive.
>>
I'm installing witcher 3 cracked, in pic related would I ahve the install all those updates or just the lastest one?
>>
>>54826223
I haven't really done anything worth mentioning. I know the basics of php, c, ruby and java. Some examples of things I would like to make are:
A program that sorts a bulk of pictures depending on their title( for boorus) or something like a 4chan image downloader, but it demotivates me when I see something I wanna make already done and I dont think a basic knowledge of any syntax will get me anywhere
>>
>>54826403
>>>/v/
>>
>>54825881
The probably no longer support the deprecated API and that's why they disabled it.
>>
>>54826372
Regardless, he is right. Linux will completely ignore windows permission and allow you to look at anything. The other option is to "take ownership recursively" in windows, but that destroys all permissions on the drive and takes a long time to set permissions of everything
>>
>>54826321
Are both monitors plugged into your graphics card? Did you try reinstalling your graphics card drivers?
>>
Gonna buy a GTX1080 and want a new monitor, have 1200 usd budget or that, what should I pick mainly for gaymz and anime
>>
>>54826158
http://superuser.com/a/83290
>Similar to the P4, once the failsafe is engaged the CPU will shutdown its internal clock and inform the motherboard to reset through a THERMTRIP pin

All modern processors have a thermal trip point, hardwired. It's around 110° C though, and prolonged temps that high can severely limit the life of your CPU. The motherboard may have it's own thermal trip point (set lower) as well. Check your bios.
>>
>>54826020
>What are some programing challenges I can take step by step to improve?
Look up interview questions. They are generally short, and thought-provoking. You should be able to do all those on a whiteboard/sheet of paper. It especially helps when getting a job

>What distro should I use?
Linux barely helps your program. It's just a comfy programming environment. Worry less about that and more about programming. Install gentoo.
>>
File: 1453944153070.gif (2 MB, 462x349) Image search: [Google]
1453944153070.gif
2 MB, 462x349
My friend has an old computer, 32-Bit Windows Vista 3GB of RAM etc etc, I have remote access to it by asking them so I can fix their issues. The computer is something that was once the family computer that became an older siblings computer which became their computer like two years ago.

It has what appears to be three hard drives, and they're not external. Is there any way for me to find out if they're all actually real physical hard drives within the machine, or if they're partitions from within the computer? I've googled and I keep getting articles that are like "The difference between volumes, partitions, and hard drives explained"
>>
why are passmark and 3dmark results so varied?

according the passmark, my gtx 590 is worse than the 570, but the opposite is true for 3d mark
>>
what to do with old gpus like a fx5200
>>
Have to take a polygraph test tomorrow for my job, anyone have any tips for me? How accurate are these things? Am I likely to fail the test even if I tell the truth if I go into it nervous about the test itself? (Because honestly the idea does freak me out a little.) What kinds of questions are they likely to ask?
>>
Is it possible with those andorid tv boxes to plug a hard drive with usb and connect it to my network, make it accesible to my other PCs to write and read it?
>>
How much would a new i7-3770K be worth?
>>
Is there really any point to learning programming when all those jobs are being outsourced nowadays anyway?
>>
>>54826860
open up disk management. It'll show you the drives and their partitions
>>
>>54826951
Polygraphs are bullshit. They're just meant to intimidate you into admitting things you wouldn't have otherwise.
>>
I was getting BSOD when playing games on win 7 64bit. After some bsods here and there, the pc won't boot. I'm getting nonstop long beeps. The event manager was saying critical error kernel power 41.

specs:
amd phenom II x4 960T
8gb ram
gtx 970
gigabyte 970a-ud3 mobo
corsair hx650 psu

I tried switching the GPU, but the problem persisted.

whata going on?
>>
>>54827089
Money

>>54826951
What fucking job interview has you take a polygraph? CIA? NSA? I'm sure this is bait, but I don't care.
>>
>>54827115
start stripping it
I'd start with the memory
>>
>>54827115
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
What does it give you?
>>
I didn't even try looking.

Can I set up an ebay account to pay to a paypal account without knowing the account's password?
>>
File: s-l225.jpg (4 KB, 225x187) Image search: [Google]
s-l225.jpg
4 KB, 225x187
will an i5-4460 bottleneck on a gtx 960 at 1280x1024? i get people have paired this this much higher end cards but also at much higher resolutions.

i ended up not spending the extra $10 for the 4590 because i wanted to get some pizza instead, please tell me i won't regret that.
>>
>>54826860
You can't get into Disk Management in the administrative tools? If all you have is the command line, then you can just type "DiskPart"
If you can open diskpart.exe, then you can use "list disk" to see all the disks. If you want to look at the partitions of a specific disk then "select disk x" and then "list partition".
>>
>>54827155
no def not
>>
>>54827093
>>54827158

Thanks a lot guys. I hope good things happen to you both today.
>>
>>54826409
usually you don't learn the syntax only. You need to practise a lot before getting comfortable and being able to create a program you're thinking.
Look at this website :
>http://www.worldbestlearningcenter.com/index_files/c_tutorial_lesson.htm
I'm not sure you should do all of them, the structure part might be too long and annoying, but the previous one force you to think about doing some basic stuff (pick the highest number of a list, sort an array, etc.)
Once you did exercises like those, you can start to think about creating your own programs.

see pic related, some ideas of projects you can do. some are easier than others, but they are often a good start when you want to practice.
>>
>>54827149
Already switched ram in all slots, single stick and so on, still won't boot, long beeps over and over
>>
Does Micro Center have a per-customer limit on Raspberry Piss Zero?
>>
Can someone explain to me the difference between iterative and recursive DNS name resolving ?
If the url is boards.4chan.org,
then it's my understanding that your computer first contacts the "root" DNS server (probably your isp or something?) to get the dns server for ".org", then it asks that DNS server for the server of "4chan.org", then it asks that server for the server of "boards.4chan.org", and this is the iterative process.
I saw an example for the recursive method but it looked the same to me
>>
File: 2n1IBkC.png (305 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2n1IBkC.png
305 KB, 1920x1080
>>54827205
aaaand I forgot pic related, as always.
>>
Do intel cpu's that are boxed with fan also have thermal paste included?
>>
>>54827151
I can't use it, I'm posting from a shitty phone
>>
>>54826561
i have no idea what that means ;_;
>>
>>54827228
>>54827205
>>54826797
>>54826223
Thx guys
>>
>>54827265
There's at least a thermal pad on the heatsink. you can scrape it off and use your own paste if you like but it's not necessary. gets the job done.
>>
>>54827298
Cheers
>>
File: lish.jpg (103 KB, 847x404) Image search: [Google]
lish.jpg
103 KB, 847x404
I keep getting "not enough space" errors even though I do. I just want to make a backup image.
>>
>>54827213
Google your motherboard's model, find the manual pdf, and look up what long beeps mean. Mine means "Memory error," but given you've ruled out memory by switching out the ram, idk. Did you remember to plug in both motherboard and cpu power cables?
>>
https://www.jdoodle.com/

Is this enough to try/learn progamming online? (Like if I'm not on my computer and can't install JDK etc)

Also what's a good site for beginners to learn?
Is this one decent : https://www.freecodecamp.com/
?
>>
Is programming really becoming saturated, or are people spending too much time in bubbles?
>>
>>54827603
Yes
>>
>>54827719
In English, "or" is exclusive when used that way.
>>
>>54827507
Good idea, I still have the paper manual, it says continuous long beeps means gpu not inserted properly, but I have already tried also my old 6850 on both PCIe slots and I get the same errors, and the 970 on both slots. Yeah CPU power cables are in.
>>
>>54827412
First off, you're mixing Windows and Linux syntax there. Linux doesn't understand what C: is. Second, that backslash is being treated as an escape character (Notice where it says writing to 'C:linode.img' the backslash isn't there anymore). To get an actual backslash you need \\. But that still wont work because from what I can tell, you've got a console to your Linux box open, and are running a command to ssh into your Linux box from your Linux box, and copy it to a drive on a completely different machine it's not even connected to.
>>
File: 48197069.jpg (54 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
48197069.jpg
54 KB, 640x360
Does anyone know of a 17mm flashlight driver for 18650/3.7v that has just on or off modes? I don't want any of that sos strobe bullshit.
>>
Am I sabotaging myself by commenting code in my own personal slang?
>>
>>54827794
Does it boot without the GPU at all?
>>
>>54827603
Bubbles. I can't tell you how many recruiters are desperate to suck (good) programmer cock. Maybe it's just the area I'm in?
>>
>>54827871
Am I following this guide wrong? https://www.linode.com/docs/migrate-to-linode/disk-images/copying-a-disk-image-over-ssh
>>
Heyas /g/, I own a shiiiit HP 15 laptop with an AMD E1 2100 APU inside. Question is: Is there any bios modification I can do to overclock this piece of shit?

Model Number is 15 f004dx
>>
I have z5500's, they're 5.1 speakers.

I don't want to use my rear speakers anymore, so they're unplugged. But I still have a 6 channel direct signal coming in.

Question is: Will sound previously directed to the rear speakers be lost? Would I notice that at all, can I still hear enemies behind me from my FL FR and center speaker?
>>
>>54827545
guys pls help a retard
>>
>>54828124
FL FR were already giving appropriate dbs to hear enemies in 360 around your player, i think
>>
>>54828119
Don't buy HP.
>>
>>54828099
Yes, because they're assuming you're running either Linux or at least a Mac and entering those exact commands in a terminal on your OS and not their web console. The web console is a session on your VPS. It can't write to your local PC. Well, unless you're running an SSH daemon on your PC or something.

You're running Windows so it's a whole different bag of marbles than what their guide covers.
>>
Is it stupid to buy a rechargeable battery pack for my 360 controller since it will eventually not work?

Or is it more stupid to constantly change batteries?
>>
>>54828119
Overclocking a laptop is never worthwhile.

>>54828175
Not even EliteBook?
>>
>>54828199
I'd get some low self discharge NiMH AAs so they can be used for other stuff if you stop using the controller.
>>
>>54828124
Depends on your audio driver/paired software. See if it supports 2.1 (if it's not already detected the unpluged rear speakers and switched to it)
>>
>>54828210
Not even EliteBook, they're nothing but a headache.
>>
>>54828210
This thing never even heats up at 100% (Which is always, given its a 1ghz cpu with only 2 cores) I just want to get some more power out of this thing.
>>
>>54828023
Without the Gpu in the slot, same exact error.
>>
What would be a good graphics card around the 75-175 price range?

I've got a 3.3ghz 2gen i5 and a 650W PSU
>>
>>54828255
How so?
>>
>>54828259
What for? 99% of what I do on a laptop a Pentium III could handle. What are you doing on it?
>>
>>54828199
I've owned the packs for all 4 of my controllers. It's a lot nicer than buying AA and they've lasted a while. Definitely more than the price of buying new batteries each time
>>
>>54828231
That's an interesting solution. I was thinking of rechargeable batteries specifically made for the 360 controller.
>>
>>54828288
Thanks, I'll hit that shit then.
>>
>>54825933
Download a better one off the play store. Don't have any reccomendations, but there're a lot to choose from.
>>
>>54828266
PissMark says GTX 960 is the best you can get for that much.
>>
>>54828287
It's my main computer at the moment, so I use it for everything. Gaming is a shit due to the low performance of the CPU, same with watching HD video.

General multitasking is also very limited currently.
>>
I want to make webms but i don't know what program is good for recording.
>>
>>54828264
>continuous long beeps means gpu not inserted properly
>Without the Gpu in the slot, same exact error.

Dafuq? Blind shots into the dark: no metal shavings or a screw or anything on the motherboard, particularly around the pci-e port? was the monitor plugged into the motherboard on boot? Perhaps the integrated graphics of your processor is fried somehow?
>>
>>54828368
Recording what?
>>
>>54828319
i'm using the default
>>
>>54828237
Realtek HD Audio manager doesn't support 2.1, but you can uncheck the boxes for rear speakers and that also appears to gray them out in the windows 10 function as well.

hoping that is good
>>
>>54828370
he'll have to look up the beep codes for his mobo, cause even though it should be, that shit's not universal
>>
>>54828336
Overheating is more a problem than clock speed on laptops. The excess heat can lead to throttling. See if you are hitting those limits and buy one of those stupid laptop fan platform things, if you are. You aren't going to get really anything out of overclocking a laptop CPU (for multiple reasons, especially voltage)
>>
>>54828370
It doesn't have onboard gpu or integrated, it's an amd processor I'm using.
>>
>>54828412
He said it was straight from his mobo's manual:
>>54827794

Unless he has the wrong manual
>>
>>54828405
Stereo is 2.1, you only need the green cable connected to your sound card, but you'll lose the center speaker. Something to think about is how much you actually heard your rear speakers, when you used them in the first place.
>>
>>54825674
One solution is looking at the package it came with, if you still have it, or the order online, if you still have it/have access.

Otherwise, I'm guessing no.
>>
File: 1441470665744.jpg (22 KB, 310x253) Image search: [Google]
1441470665744.jpg
22 KB, 310x253
Can you use the same windows key for multiple PCs?
>>
>>54826740
PC monitors are for plebs. Buy a TV.
>>
>>54828405
tested the speakers after unchecking the rear and the rear signal is coming out the FR FL

all good
>>
>>54828440
really? Then it would make sense to beep without a gpu I guess. Did you plug the power cables into the graphics cards when you tried them? Do you have a voltmeter to be able to test your PSU?
>>
>>54828494
Dafuq are you on about m8?
>>
>>54828531
Can I use a windows key twice on two different PCs?
>>
>>54828015
Not so much as you are sabotaging others. For yourself it depends on the precision of your slang for you.
>>
>>54828563
Oh shit. I thought you were talking about the windows key on your keyboard.

top kek

There's only one way to find out, and it won't harm you to try. I would guess no though.
>>
File: Hp 15 f004dx Spec.png (31 KB, 732x579) Image search: [Google]
Hp 15 f004dx Spec.png
31 KB, 732x579
>>54828420
Laptop seems to average out at 50 degrees at load. Not sure if it's set to throttle there but it doesn't sound too hot.
>>
>>54828473
Thanks. I didn't even think of that. I looked up my online orders until I finally realized I bought the damn thing back in 2007 at a best buy I was working at.

On a related note: Are 9 years old PSUs a potential hazard to my components?
>>
File: 2016-05-30 23.22.18.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-30 23.22.18.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1920
>>54828516
Yeah, tried with power cables and without, same long beeps. No voltimeter here. Also, talking about weird shit, thisvthing near the PCIe slot looks weird, what is it?
>>
>>54828632
I guess your laptop has room for overclocking, but unless your laptop supports changing the cpu voltage, I don't think you'll get very far before it becomes unstable.
>>
>>54828648
Without knowing if it's bronze or platinum or whatever, I have no idea.

If it runs it runs.
>>
>>54828668
>>54828668
>>54828668
dude! use some canned air to blow that shit out, you've got dust bunnies in the slot itself, and that can cause a short, hopefully if that's what happened, it didn't do any permanent damage
>>
>>54828675
I was hoping there could be some way to get access to changing it's settings, currently locked out at the bios.

My google fu is utter shit for finding a way to get around it.
>>
>>54828668
What thing?
Also that is pretty dirty there anon. Are you sure that dirt isn't preventing a card from making a connection on a pin or two?
>>
>>54828746
>>54828752
>>54828752
Will a hair drier that has a non heating function work? Yeah I'm pretty careless with dust, I didn't know it can kill the patrs
>>
Can a access point receive WiFi then transmit it using the same WiFi card?
>>
>>54828890
dunno if a hair dryer can produce the pressure needed, but can't hurt to give it a try
>>
how safe is it for me to reveal my skype username with some people i met online?

can they actually hack my skype?
>>
>>54828915
What about static?
>>
>>54828919
>>54828919
>>54828919
depends on what your skype name is, if it's anything to do with your real name then get a different one that doesn't id you

>>54828927
shouldn't be an issue, I don't think it'll be strong enough though
>>
I can't copy/paste anything from any kind of external drive.Windows Explorer keeps crashing. I ran chkdsk and when I rebooted it ran a long repair process. I still can not copy/paste.
>>
File: 2016-05-30 23.46.31.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-30 23.46.31.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1920
>>54828752
The pill shaped between the pcie and the square thing. It lookd black compared to the other similar pill things on the left. It's not dust, i cleaned it before taking the pic.
>>
File: Untitled.png (2 KB, 176x62) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
2 KB, 176x62
Any of you have the same problem?
If I type in
 <h 
and press Enter, it autocompletes it for me with the head & body tags and whatnot but the extra < in
 <<!doctype> 
remains
It's not a big issue but annoys tf out of me, having to do it each time I open up a new file.
>>
>>54828395
video games
>>
>>54828988
That has a quartz oscillator inside it.
>>
>>54828994
OBS, or ShadowPlay if you have Nvidia. Record high bitrate and then squash it with ffmpeg or whatever.
>>
>>54828909
Yes

>>54828890
Probably not. I'd just grab an old toothbrush and try to brush the junk out of there.
>>
>>54829046
Thanks anon getting OBS now
>>
>>54828138
l-last try just in case...
>>
>>54828992
Yeah, same here. I don't use snippets, but I bet there is some way to edit them in sublime
>>
File: 1464565713410.png (266 KB, 585x506) Image search: [Google]
1464565713410.png
266 KB, 585x506
>>54825624

What should I use instead of teamviewer? I communicate from a linux machine to a windows one but today I got a friend request out of nowhere so I'm shutting down the whole thing while I look for alternatives.
>>
>>54829118
Is this over LAN or Internet? What are you doing with it?
>>
>>54829118
You can get friend requests on teamviewer? I don't know any alternatives. Teamviewer is pretty top notch. You could try VNC or RDC, but they are a pain to set up and get working though firewalls
>>
Is there a way for me to see who's connected to my wifi network other than using my modem's shity network management tool? I just want to be able to see how many devices are connected at any given time.
>>
>>54829174
no
>>
File: 1464317954121.gif (474 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
1464317954121.gif
474 KB, 550x550
>>54829134
>>54829142

internet, down here in the third world internet is so bad I literally leave a pc at my mom's place just to download stuff. I leave the windows lockscreen on so even if they get in through teamviewer they'd also have to guess a fairly long password but idk, I just don't trust it anymore. A quick search showed me that there's a teamviewer subreddit and everyone's getting hacked left and right.

>>54829142
If you have an account then yes apparently, I got one just so I don't have to type in a password everytime but seems like it was a bad move.
>>
>>54828976
Windows is messed up. Run sfc /scannow from an elevated Command Prompt. Also scan for malware.
>>
where do you guys download your books? i tried ebooks in irchighway and bookz in undernet but havent found a few. theyre not textbooks if that makes a difference
>>
>>54829225
can usually find whatever I'm looking for on kat
>>
>>54829225
See if you can get a BitME invite, they have a fucking huge db of books
>>
File: 1444470354912.png (285 KB, 476x530) Image search: [Google]
1444470354912.png
285 KB, 476x530
Do I really, really need a degree to get a decent web dev job? (just it, nothing more, nothing less.)

College is killing me with boredom. I can't stand the sight of another classroom.
>>
>>54829191
If it's just being used for torrents, set up a command line or web interface. Use non-standard external ports to keep China and Russia from knocking all day. And keyfiles if you give a fug.
>>
>>54829225
Generally I google "isbn pdf" or "isbn torrent" etc.

what are you looking for?
>>
>>54829263
You're doing college wrong if it's just to get a job.
You're more capable than most web developers if you can FizzBuzz.
>>
>>54829289
nah man, college costs too much and requires too many bullshit classes to go into it without an eye towards getting a good job out of it
>>
>>54829309
You're doing it wrong if you're paying for it yourself.
>>
File: 1462744959292.gif (339 KB, 423x386) Image search: [Google]
1462744959292.gif
339 KB, 423x386
I'm trying to teach myself how to do network programming in C by making a shitty chat program. How do you properly use select() to read() from a single socket without blocking? From what I've read it's possible, but most examples I can find are geared towards using it to read from multiple sockets, and I just need to use it as a simple check to see if information has been received.
>>
>>54829288
http://www.amazon.com/Once-Marine-Commanders-Inspirational-Recovery/dp/1932714472
a few other books every once in a while i can never find on those IRC servers but they dont come to mind right now. i'd buy them on amazon if i knew whether or not i'd be able to share the epub or upload it somewhere
>>54829249
ill try to find a place to get an invite. i guess i gotta build a reputation elsewhere, i know i had an old ass blackcat games account which i havent used in years.

some of those sites are kinda sketchy though i remember thumbing through a few trying to find textbooks back in the day and they were mostly viruses

i got quite a lot of literotica looking for this
>>
>>54829361
meh, lot's of the poor working class are stupidly prideful and rather than admit they're poor and disclose their financial information, they don't realize how big of a deal it is to stick their kids with student loans
>>
>>54829023
>>54829078
So I cleaned the slots, with the drier and a feather, tried the 970, same long beeps. Tried the other gpu, same shit happens.
>>
>>54829118
Worst yuru
>>
>>54829366
not exactly related but
>literotica
if you're interested in finding more, then it's literally literotica.com, user submitted stories spanning ever sex genre and fetish you can think of
>>
>>54829395
>feather
You mean like a big fluffy duster? That can generate high voltages and fuck up everything.
>>
File: 1451901725298.jpg (48 KB, 372x630) Image search: [Google]
1451901725298.jpg
48 KB, 372x630
>>54829401

best yuru
>>
How to tell what kind of ram a craptop uses
>>
>>54829289

Yeah, I also think that I'm doing it all wrong. My plan just fell apart. Not spending a single penny on this education, by the way. I managed to get into a very good college here in my country, for free. I think the equivalent degree is called associates in america, and you might think it's crap, but in my country is pretty good. It's supposed to be focused on web development, but damn, is it annoying as hell, as the man said, too many bullshit classes.

It is kind of sad because I've lost focus, I was really keen on becoming a web developer, I really liked it when I was learning things on my own.

Then I got to college, personal problems happened, and I'm not even studying anymore, I've grown completely detached from it, I'm not even training nor reading anymore, and it is just the first semester.

I think I've made a huge mistake.
>>
Let's assume a very smart person wanted to get a job in CS. This could include networking, programming, whatever.

How long would it take for them to
A. Learn everything by themselves and get whatever certs needed
and
B. Get a portfolio strong enough to actually get a job?

I'm not a very smart person but I feel like I'm well above average. Dropped out of college due to funds and am looking for something decent instead of retail.
>>
>>54829459
>>
>>54829420
No, I mean a single feather I got as a souvenir, it fits the slot perfectly to dig out the dirt. PCIe slots was pretty clean and both gpus give me the same long beep shit.
>>
How do I convert both these returns to there BigInteger equivalent.

return Math.pow(subLinearFib(firstHalf), 2) + Math.pow(subLinearFib(secondHalf), 2);

return (subLinearFib(firstHalf) * (2 * subLinearFib(secondHalf) + subLinearFib(firstHalf)));

>>
I always like to compare the CRC of torrents to release databases, but it occurs to me I might be wasting my time.

It's supposedly not reliable at all if anyone wanted to mess around with the files.

Is there anything I can do? Why aren't better hashes provided if CRC is so easily broken?
>>
>>54829663
Those are for integrity checks not against malicious tampering.
>>
I wanna splurge out on a really nice ATX case, but I don't really know what to pick. What do you guys recommend?
>>
>>54829738
What kind of design do you want? Simple, black, window, etc.
>>
Can I update a pirated .apk through the play store, or through the app's own update function?
>>
>>54829758
Simple. I like windows too, but preferably if they're strong enough to not break easily. Don't mind the colour.
>>
>>54829738
http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define-series/define-r5-black
>>
Need to get a replacement video card for a PCI-E x16 slot. What's the best bang for my buck? What's overkill and unnecessary? All the components will be fairly old besides the new video card btw.

I've only looked at this list from newegg so far.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=PCI-E+x16&N=100007709+600007852&isNodeId=1&Page=2

Anywhere else I should check?
>>
>>54829801
http://amzn.com/B00EB6O4N8
>>
>>54829831

Here's the motherboard for reference:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127026
>>
>>54829831
Have a look at PissMark's charts

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_value.html

They also have a "best value" one. GTX 960 is looking pretty good.
>>
>>54829714
Why not both, though.
>>
How much will the 1070/1080 be for the Christmas holidays? I know no one will have an exact figure but how much would you expect them to be?
>>
IM running windows 7 on my computer and I have an extra 500gb hdd in my computer that is formatted. I was thinking of installing ubuntu on that drive to try out a linux distro. I was thinking of unplugging my ssd with w7 on it and doing the linux install on that 500gb then plugging the ssd with w7 back so i can dual boot. is that a bad approach? I dont want to screw anything up.
>>
If I have a 1440p Monitor and I downscale content to 1080p, will it look the same as if it were on a native 1080p monitor?
>>
>>54829859

I don't think any of these fit into the older PCI-E x16 slot.
>>
>>54829879
I think that's a good plan. You'll need to set HDD to first priority device and reinstall GRUB later if you want to be able to boot Windows without messing with cables. The internal SATA connector is designed for 50 insertions, so it could break within a year if you're doing it every day.
>>
1070 durbing the Holidays i'd assume would prob be around $300-$450 and the 1080 i'd imagine would at least be at least $650.
>>
>>54829898
Not exactly, but close enough for Jazz.
>>
>>54829920
Yeah i dont want to mess with cables after Install. SO i just download grub on the ssd or the linux one? or it doesnt matter?
>>
>i5 4460
>GTX 970
>8 gb RAM

How long do you think this can last me on high/med settings?

I'm going to skip the next gen of GPU and get 1170 instead. Im not sure how long the cpu can last me, I'm past the days of MMORPGs now.
>>
>>54829959
Dude get more ram. It's so cheap there's no reason not to. Otherwise you're fine.
>>
motherboard would be my guess
>>
>>54829953
unplug SSD, install Ubuntu on HDD, go into motherboard bios/uefi setup thingy and set HDD to first boot device, plug everything back in, boot into ubuntu, re-install/reconfigure el unificado bootloader grande
>>
File: 02.png (27 KB, 799x556) Image search: [Google]
02.png
27 KB, 799x556
Guys why does update for Windows 10 still pops up? I disable all my updates, it wanted to restart my computer now but I rescheduled it
>>
>>54829647
return BigInteger.valueOf(Math.pow(subLinearFib(firstHalf), 2) + Math.pow(subLinearFib(secondHalf), 2));
return BigInteger.valueOf((subLinearFib(firstHalf) * (2 * subLinearFib(secondHalf) + subLinearFib(firstHalf))));

You might want to convert to BigInts before you square and add to avoid overflow. BigInt has its own BigInteger.pow(int x) method.
>>
Anything to look for in a mouse mat (looking at 36x11 sizes) or specifically a recommended brand? it would be for a zowie ec2
>>
>>54830021
Remove GWX.
>>
>>54830047
M8 it's a rectangle of neoprene, they probably all come from the same factory
>>
>>54830021
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/64561-Remove-Telemetry-and-Windows-10-Related-Updates-from-Windows-7
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/68131-Prevent-Windows-10-Upgrade
>>
I have a vapor x 290 and none of the fans want to work properly.

The middle one only works if I set to spin at a speed of 83% or higher, and the two outside fans never spin up regardless of gpu temp or load.

I've tried TriXX and Afterburner, reinstalled drivers, tuned legacy bios on and off, and also turned the "intellegent fan control" on and off to no avail. I guess the fan controll is supposed to turn on the outer fans when the card reaches a certain temperature but I've had it as high as 90 with them doing anything.

Any ideas?
>>
>>54830046
In this instance Math.pow does not work because
>The method pow(double, double) in the type Math is not applicable for the arguments (BigInteger, int)

and 2 * subLinearFib(secondHalf) does not work because
>The operator * is undefined for the argument type(s) int, BigInteger

Here is the full code, I have been trying relentlessly to format this to accept bigInt, I made the terrible mistake of writing the code and thinking I could convert it to bigInt easily.

import java.math.BigInteger;

public class Problem_2 {

public BigInteger subLinearFib(int n){

int firstHalf = 0;
int secondHalf = 0;

if(2 < n){

if(n % 2 == 1){
firstHalf = ((n - 1) / 2) + 1;
secondHalf = firstHalf - 1;

return BigInteger.valueOf(Math.pow(subLinearFib(firstHalf), 2) + Math.pow(subLinearFib(secondHalf), 2));
//return Math.pow(subLinearFib(firstHalf), 2) + Math.pow(subLinearFib(secondHalf), 2);
}

else{
firstHalf = n / 2;
secondHalf = firstHalf - 1;

return BigInteger.valueOf((subLinearFib(firstHalf) * (2 * subLinearFib(secondHalf) + subLinearFib(firstHalf))));
//return (subLinearFib(firstHalf) * (2 * subLinearFib(secondHalf) + subLinearFib(firstHalf)));
}
}

return BigInteger.ONE;
}

public static void main(String[] args) {

//if userInput is odd use F(2n - 1) = F(n - 1)^2 + f(n)^2
//if userInput is even use F(2n) = (2F(n - 1) + F(n)) * F(n)

Problem_2 func = new Problem_2();
BigInteger x = func.subLinearFib(250);
System.out.println(x);
}
}
>>
>>54829984

Is my processor going to be fine? I hope it doesn't bottleneck the R9 500s or the GTX 1100s
>>
what utility would be recommended for partitioning on an android device?
>>
>>54830117
Are the PSU connectors fully plugged in?
>>
File: 1457444204523.jpg (86 KB, 1032x696) Image search: [Google]
1457444204523.jpg
86 KB, 1032x696
>>54830256

>>54830046
>>54830046
>>54830046

Thank you, I've managed to work around with what you gave me and got it to work.
>>
>>54830308
I wouldn't recommend partitioning an Android device.
>>
Would a 2GHz dual core CPU bottleneck a NVIDIA 8800gt 512mb
>>
>>54830362
I saw that apps are happier on an EXT4 partition than on a FAT32, but I don't have an adapter for the microSD card. While the apps all work fine for me their icons keep disappearing from the home screen.
>>
>>54830116
>You need to login to view this posts content

I think I don't have time for this fàm
>>
>>54829463
>>I really liked it when I was learning things on my own.

Probably answered your own question there.
>>
What's the best of the best cpu to get if I have a AM3+ socket on my motherboard
>>
I have an HD7770 and an HD7750 on my computer.
Crimson is able to detect them both but I can't seem to turn Crossfire on anymore. I was able to before but now It just won't work (rolling back to previous drivers won't seem to work)

Any ideas?
>>
>>54830545
FX-9590
cheaper Xeon E5-2660 beats it if not overclocking
You may be better off replacing the motherboard if you pay your own electric bill and run it 24/7.
>>
About tree fiddy
>>
File: 81d6M+k3QWL._SL1500_.jpg (282 KB, 1500x1384) Image search: [Google]
81d6M+k3QWL._SL1500_.jpg
282 KB, 1500x1384
so, /g/, do I get an External "Headphone Amp" (I'm still unclear as to what those exactly are, they seem to mean several different devices), or do I buy a soundcard? my previous Mobo had what basically amounts to a Soundblaster Z card built into it, and contrary to what I've been told, the sound was MUCH better (clearer, louder, more punch and impact) than my current mobo, which has some Realtek chipset in it. its almost like it has trouble driving the headphones. A standalone Soundblaster card is about 100$, whereas the headphone amps seem to vary in price. I'm not much of an audiophile, so feel free to call me a faggot for not knowing any better.
>>
>>54827115
>amd
Found the problem
>>
File: 1407289977889.jpg (9 KB, 265x200) Image search: [Google]
1407289977889.jpg
9 KB, 265x200
So I'm planning on upgrading my 500GB laptop HDD to a 1TB HDD. Laptop is a 2010 Asus G60Jx. I've done some googling and found a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj08cIpfkaw . The thing that's throwing me off is the metal circle vent. Mine doesn't have that. Is it a cooling mod or something? Or is this a newer model than mine? The HDD I'm looking at buying is this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W02KN0922 Do you guys see any problems with anything I've done so far. Also I haven't pulled the back plate off my laptop to check for compatibility issues yet.
>>
>>54830600
Headphone amp provides additional power to your headphone drivers. A soundcard can isolate your audio from motherboard noise and provide additional power.

The best option is a dedicated USB DAC and a dedicated amplifier. Check Schiit for the magni and modi.
>>
>>54830556
I thought you had to have two of the exact same card so fuck if I know.
>>
Anyone know how to change the background pictures for the log in screen for Mint?
I hate seeing the stupid tree, and random river pictures every time I turn on my computer.
>>
>>54830742
google "change the background pictures for the log in screen for Mint?"
first result
>>
When I hold down the right mouse button on my mouse, it usually thinks I'm rapidly clicking and letting go. Been doing this for a while. I pulled it apart a while back and couldn't find the problem. I want to have another look inside later, what should I be looking for that might be causing the problem? I don't know if I should be looking for dirt I missed, or a loose cable or what.
>>
File: 1385092582807.jpg (23 KB, 478x340) Image search: [Google]
1385092582807.jpg
23 KB, 478x340
>>54830614
Disregard everything I said about the video. I just watched the video again and its a different model than mine.
>>
>>54826403
>cracked
you know theres a gog version right?
it wont be on popular torrent sited that get constsntly dmcd
good luck
not hard to find
>>
can /g/ give me a quick rundown of the different degrees related to programming?
Every page I check gives me different results.
like whats the difference between a software dev and a software engineer?
etc
>>
>>54830769
That seems to be more for changing themes. I was hoping I could use the default theme, and use my own random slideshow of pictures.
>>
>>54830891
CS = lots of math
CE = some hardware + CS
EE = lots of hardware + tiny bit of CS
SE = idk probably less math + more software design. my uni didn't offer it.

in reality one company's "software engineer" is another ones "developer". some take it more literally to be a person with engineering degree that does programming i.e. more engineering work involved where software is used
>>
>>54830962
>>54830908
Some universities offer a "Computer Science" degree but may confuse it with software engineering or even IT. Do some research into the school you plan on attending, look at the curriculum.
>>
>>54830962
Is there an easy way to know if an university is good at technology related shit?

I'm worried about choosing the right one.
>>
>>54831037
see how the university is ranked for the engineering or CS department. look for the department ranking, not the school as a whole. but usually you can get a schools reputation just by asking around in your area.
>>
My Netgear wireless router is dying what should I buy to replace it?
>>
File: 547457.jpg (12 KB, 276x276) Image search: [Google]
547457.jpg
12 KB, 276x276
I don't want to do computer programming towards a IT profession anymore,where can I program that isn't IT?
>>
>>54831037
You could look at national ratings, but first limit it down by the other things you are looking for in a school, like financial aid, location, class size, school size, etc. The stuff that will make it comfortable for you there. I think I used collegeboard when I was searching around. Talk to your highschool teachers, guidance councilors, etc.
>>
>>54830520
Welcome to the old times.

You should have a MDL account anyway, its useful.
>>
File: npqgLud.jpg (221 KB, 599x694) Image search: [Google]
npqgLud.jpg
221 KB, 599x694
I want to schedule my texts and whatsapp messages so I can text people at a later time and date. I'm using android 5.1 lolipop and isn't root. Is there a solution to this and preferably FOSS, but not limited to?
>>
>>54831256
me

>>54831077
I don't know where, but I know many doctors knows programming. There's a lot of other fields where programming is needed since it's a tool to achieve a task. Branch out your interests?
>>
File: NZlPz2P-1426790244.gif (937 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
NZlPz2P-1426790244.gif
937 KB, 320x240
>Linux Mint refuses to boot; stuck in BusyBox
>boot a new Linux Mint from USB
>try to open the hard drive
>get this message

"wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1,"

How did I fuck up and how do I fix it?
>>
>>54831322
e2fsck -f /dev/sda1
>>
File: 1462935275354.png (31 KB, 1164x605) Image search: [Google]
1462935275354.png
31 KB, 1164x605
http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/p/sf8zKZ

Would this be sufficient for >vidya (Wargame, Total War and grand strategy mostly) and studying lads? Looking for something small but with decent cooling. Any help/input would be appreciated.

btw if you're going to recommend a different build using pcpartpicker please set the region to New Zealand, otherwise the parts might not be available here.
>>
>>54831368
The i3 won't be the best but considering you'are budget it's probably not awful. You may want to drop the SSD entirely and put that money into a lower end i5 if you can find one, I wouldn't recommend that line of SSDs.

make sure you check prices with pricespy.co.nz because they have better prices there too.
>>
>>54831341
It says:

"/bin/sh: e2fsck: not found"
>>
>>54831461
In BusyBox. Was it meant to be done from the USB Mint?
>>
>>54831368
SSD too expensive also ADATA SP550 its not really for a main OS Desktop SSD, its good, reliable but not that reliable, it is nice for laptops tough.
Get a I5-6400 or 6500 instead with that money.
Save and get a 212 EVO later on.

Not sure about New zeland prices but check for EVGA PSUs.
>>
>>54831461
put sudo in front.
so
sudo e2fsck -f /dev/sda1

i should've specified.
>>
>>54830735
Some cards work with others

>>54830556
Anyone?
>>
>>54831510
Now it says "Error reading block (resulted in short read). Ignore error?"
>>
>>54831543
your drive sounds like its fuggin dead anon
>>
>>54831543
type yes,
type yes if it asks to force rewrite
post results
>>
>>54831563
This is gonna kill my files, isn't it?
>>
>>54825933
Get SwiftKey
>>
>close firefox
>Start computer the next day
>can't restore previous sessions
What's a good suicide prevention line for the Dutch?

>>54831368
Yea, it will play those games great.

>NZ
I wanted to comment on expensive but I guess it's like Aussie dollars.
>>
how do you guys customize your desktops to look to dank/cozy, im on virtualbox just to test it out and i have no idea what to do, ive been a win xp/7 fag since forever
>>
>>54831575
It shouldn't fuck anything up
e2fsck is a tool to check ext2,3, and 4 partitions
You should be fine but let me know what it says after so I can help you more if needed.
>>
>>54831585
how different is it from the default?
>>
>>54830391
What dual core?
Modern pentium? 10 year old pentium?
>>
In need of a good new laptop. Thinking about getting the Asus UX301LA. Tell my why I shouldn't get it and if there's a better option(I can get kit for 1k yuros). Thinkpad isn't a reason.
>>
>>54831619
I had shut e2fsck down.

Then I ran it a second time, and it appears to have completed without asking any questions, and now it looks like I can access the files again.

Thanks a bunch.
>>
If I'm starting a new build and I'm buying mobo, CPU, GPU, HDD, SSD, PSU, case and ram, do I have to buy anything else? Are all the cables included like SATA express/6 gb and shit?
>>
is programming as hard as it looks or is it just mostly intimidation because I have no clue about it past super basic shit?

Like are you supposed to write an entire program in a single file or many files that are linked?
>>
>>54831663
If you get an unlocked skylake CPU you need a separate cooler
SATA cables are included with the motherboard, probably not any sata express cables though (you won't need them)
>>
>>54831679
>Like are you supposed to write an entire program in a single file or many files that are linked?
If you have to ask...
Start with C
>>
>>54831662
No problem.
This is probably a sign that your hard drive is starting to fail.
Back up your data and run e2fsck every few days without any parameters to check all your disks in fstab.
Are you using an HDD or an SSD?
>>
>>54831679
It's mostly fucking boring.

>>54831663
The cables should be included.
That should be anything, maybe a wireless adapter if you're into that.
>>
>>54831691
HDD in a Thinkpad t420.
>>
File: Restart.jpg (145 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
Restart.jpg
145 KB, 1024x682
>get random crashes in games that makes my computer turn off and restart
>replace gpu thinking it's going bad
>same thing with current gpu
>it's not a heating issue
>today I have the idea to run my games at 60fps locked instead of 144fps+
>I don't crash anymore

What the hell causes this? PSU going shit and not giving enough power? Or is it because I put no frame limit so both my CPU and GPU push it as far as they can go and causes problems?

I ran furmark at max for 15 minutes and I reached a max temp of 77c and had 31fps and nothing happened.

What fucking do?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 48

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.