[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /g/ think used xeon processor? Are they just a meme.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: shopping.jpg (27 KB, 476x476) Image search: [Google]
shopping.jpg
27 KB, 476x476
What does /g/ think used xeon processor? Are they just a meme. I've never bought one but they're really cheap on eBay.
>>
usually their at the end of their lifespan as they come on ebay right after being collected by e-waste recyclers from giant server buildings replacing their tech

might last a year or two at most, they're pretty powerful even going a few generations back though

sometimes though, the chinks dig up stockpiles of un-used shit from the late 2000's and you get deals like this
>2009 xeon L5630
>2.1ghz
>1ghz bus speed
>4 cores
>new with original copper containment box
>matching serial pair of them for 12$
>>
>>54793374
Jesus fucking christ I need to take English 101.
>>
>>54793374
Used enterprise equipment is the best way to go
>>
>>54793428
Did you already have the motherboard for them? How's their performance and power usage.
>>
>>54793487
But is it reliable for years to come or will it crap out after after a couple months?
>>
Found a dual CPU Xeon server in the dumpster. Can't remember which CPUs, there pretty low end and similar to a stock Q6600. I use it as a render server occasionally as it's loud and pumps out a tone of heat raising the room temp by 5c under load. I wouldn't really bother unless you have an actual practical use for them (ie: not gayming).
>>
>>54793637
A used xeon will probably last until it's too old to be relevant. Don't expect it to last 10+ years though.
>>
>>54793374
>xeons on the desktop
go away Linus
>>
>>54793374
there's no real downside to them over their given consumer counterparts in anything but price, lower-end models are just i7s with some extra features turned on, higher-end models are in a league of their own and have no desktop equivalent.

>>54794097
a xeon from 2k6 can be a pretty good chip today as long as you aren't a gaymer or autistic about compile times
>>
>>54793374
They're a meme for personal use. Xeon processors are only good for servers which require energy efficient processors to reduce the electricity bill. Even then they're only really reducing the electricity bill if you have more than 2 racks.
>>
>>54793533
no, i just bought them beacuse they were 12$
the same seller has a few sets for sale still

they were new though, still in their box with the paperwork and even a small tube of extremely dry thermal paste
>>
>>54793374
xeon is masterace

You can get medium and lower end server xeon chips that are only a couple years old, the top models stay expinsive for ever because some people do upgrade

It's common to get 5 year old chips that used to be $1400 for less than $100 xenon has the best value out of all the used shit out there
>>
File: IMG_0294.jpg (3 MB, 3000x4000) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0294.jpg
3 MB, 3000x4000
>>54793374

essentially if you're not buying used xeon processors you're either rich and buying new ones or you're fucking stupid.
>>
>>54795298
I saw a shit load of LGA775 2.8GHz Xeons going for $45NZD and two 1150 3.0GHz Xeans going for $213NZD each

Xeons don't use that much power ojn the low end ones but the high end has the same power draw as a FX9090
they range in powerdraw by alot best to google them and look up the spec before buying.
>>
>>54795298
Nvidia sales rep is that you? My favorite namefag!
>>
>>54795779

:3
>>
>>54795965
I got a question for you, Mr sales rep, can I put a Skylake E3 inside a B150 motherboard? Or do I need to get a CXXX motherboard?
>>
>>54796036

that would work just fine.
>>
>>54796081
I know you could get away with putting an E3 in a non-C series motherboard with earlier versions, but I think they changed it with Jewlake chips.
>>
Some good xeons like E3-1230v5 can be pretty good value for your money. Since it has hyperthreading and costs around 50 dollars/euros/whatever for the benefits of i7-6700.

>>54796036
Not him, but skylake requires Cxxx chipset for xeons.
>>
2nd hand Xeons are really nice if you have the right motherboard for them
>>
>he doesnt know that E5-2670s are stupid cheap right now
the only problem is that the motherboards cost hundreds
>>
>>54796132
Fuckin Jewlake. Intel was onto me.
>>
>>54796097

upon further research it appears that there might be a bios level prevention in the chip. which is gay.

i am so sorry about all that. it's really embarrasing. skylake only really works with W10 too, doesn't it? its like terry davis says, the CIA wants to give everyone dumb terminals and keep everything real in the cloud. fuck.

>>54796144

rockin two of em brolio, but when the fuck are the E5-2687w coming down in price?
>>
>>54795298
Been thinking of a set up like that but facing down. Maybe its just me beign a pussy but Im trying to imagine a watercooling setup where leaks would never drip on components. Is there generally enough pressure in a loop that even if all leaks would drip down vertically away from hardware it'd still shoot out with enough force to fuck everything up?
>>
>>54796207
i can't imagine a situation where there's a breach just big enough to spray. it's either tiny enough that its a drip, or its a complete blow out in which case it'd just gush out gently until empty from the disconnect hose or whatever.

i thought along the same lines. i wanted all drips to have downward clearance.if you notice i set up my loop so that if any joint DID leak, it wouldn't get on anything. which is why the motherboard is reversed with the pci slots n stuff facing right instead of left. it puts the CPU's at the bottom.

there's nothing WRONG about it being upside don't but it'd be a pain in the ass to make, and what are you going to do to secure your cards?

it's my conclusion in cooling my two xeons that if you order high quality parts and don't put any pressure on the tubing connects, take your time, heat and straighten them, cut them right, be meticulous, etc, you shouldn't worry.
>>
Not sure why xeon chips are getting so much hate here on /g/. Certain models are basically identical to the i-series chips. I've had a 1230v2 for about three and a half years now. Bought brand new for about 250-275 (can't remember the exact price but I know it was under 300)

A xeon isn't overkill for your PC if you're modest with your search for one. It's not like if you want a xeon you NEED to get some ridiculous e5 model that'll cost you 2,000+ dollars
>>
The only reason Xeon processors are cheap on Ebay is because Facebook is replacing their Sandy Bridge Xeons with more power efficient Intel 14nm Xeons.

http://www.servethehome.com/intel-xeon-e5-2670-v1-prices-still-plummeting/

>As a quick recap, the alleged reason for the steep decline is that many thousands of these processors hit the market as previous generation Facebook servers were decommissioned by used equipment recyclers.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.