[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
whats so good about arch?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: archlinux-xfce4-1.jpg (185 KB, 1200x750) Image search: [Google]
archlinux-xfce4-1.jpg
185 KB, 1200x750
whats so good about arch?
>>
>>54756998
Its good because
>clean
>lightweight
>customizeable
>very active and fairly knowledgeable community (irc, forums, wiki)

Its bad because
>developers are pig headed in adoption of bleeding edge
>many users worship the developers and the stupid decisions they make
>its way more work to get up and running than Ubuntu or another user-friendly distro
>>
>>54757064
whats so hard about installing it? sorry for being newfag @ linux
>>
>>54756998
Literal meme distro, any minimal install will give you the excact same starting point just with a different package manager.
>>
>>54757088
If you are truly a noob, please do not install this, since you get updates very often you may break something with them, you can fix them by yourself but you have to know what got broken and how to fix it and we (at least I) do not want to help you.
>>
If you want something to look like that pic just use Xubuntu, easy to install, easy to use and based on Ubuntu, you will have lots of support.
>>
>>54757088
>whats so hard about installing it?
Well it doesn't have a normal installer with a graphical user interface where you can just press "Next" and all that. Its not like how you'd install Windows. You have to basically read a wiki article and follow it through, setting things up using the command line. You manually have to edit files (again, all on the command lines) as part of the setup.

Its not difficult at all if you can follow instructions but its not convenient and it can be annoying.
>>
>>54756998
it's a fun lego OS, you just pull building blocks and make something usable with a little systemd adhesive

I wouldn't recommend using it as a daily driver but as a learning tool it's pretty cool
>>
>>54757187
Yeah, i wasnt even going to install it because if alot of people say its hard to install, it must be fucking hard to install.
>>
File: archcuck g cencored edition.png (128 KB, 703x554) Image search: [Google]
archcuck g cencored edition.png
128 KB, 703x554
>>
>>54757064
>systemd
>lightweight
pick one
>>
>>54757213
The first time might be difficult when you don't know much about your computer.
I actually installed it faster than Ubuntu because there are less files to copy. After installing I still had to set up X and xfce. Overall it took somewhere around 10 - 15 minutes to get a functional system up and running. It boots way faster than my old Ubuntu install too.
>>
>>54757275
lmao
>>
File: Kazam_screencast_00000.webm (558 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Kazam_screencast_00000.webm
558 KB, 1366x768
>>54756998
Best DIY distro if you don't have time to compile everything

Using Xubuntu currently in one machine, the display manager is broken in the distro (reproducable). Arch has no issues

Few days ago all *buntus were broken ootb (video related). Arch had no issues
>>
>>54757345
>notepad timestamp or fake
>>
>>54756998
makes you feel like a l33t h4ck3r
>>
>>54757431
/thread
>>
i've been using it for like 5 years. i used debian before that. there's nothing particularly good about it. they update packages faster. that's it. also it made my old computer a bit faster once, but this was a special case in which i was using a pentium ii. it was faster than debian
>>
>>54757223
It's not hard to install at all if you know at least the basics of how a Linux system goes together, and the Arch wiki has a pretty fool-proof walkthrough of the install process for the uninitiated.

Arch is, however, a pain in the ass to set up and maintain if you don't know what you're doing. If you're not used to writing your own configs or performing maintenance on a rolling release distro, it can be a little harrowing.
>>
Nothing.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.