[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Unmanned Aerial Systems or Electrical Engineering?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: 1457855165523.gif (809 KB, 393x393) Image search: [Google]
1457855165523.gif
809 KB, 393x393
Hello gnu cunts I need some advice.

I'm beginning my college education soon and am dead set on engineering. My college offers an unmanned aerial system course, which teaches about basically building, designing, and experimenting with drones and their possible uses.

Alongside that, they also have a major for Electronic and Computer Engineering. I can see myself enjoying both courses, but I don't want to wind up a jobless loser without any good employment skills if things don't work out just perfectly.

Do you guys think unmanned aerial technology will die out in the future? Should I just take the engineering degree or should I chase the UAS degree?
>>
>>54727973
Ignore the autists on this board. Computer engineers get jobs if you have a work ethic and an ounce of social skills.

If you want to do CE there are tons of jobs, just work hard in your programming/hardware classes and join a university research/coding Job most universities offer now. Go to career fair with a professional resume and good social skills, apply for internships/coops. At the networking/interview, talk about your projects, your affinity to learn, and passion for computer engineering. Get internship/coop. Finish classes and coop and you can get any job you want.

Don't EVER fall for the "no computer jobs" meme. It's just autists and neets who believe that and blame outside unrelated factors instead of improving themselves and continuing to try.

Best of luck OP, engineering is hard but rewarding. Keep your head up and work hard.
>>
>>54728112
To your other point, I don't know if that Ariel shit will die out. Talk to professors and people in the industry about it.

My philosophy is get a job with generic enough skills to be hired in the future, with not too specific skills to be a niche/have limited jobs. Computer engineering gives you the freedom to do whatever your little fucking heart desires
>>
>>54728179
I mean I'd love to sit around and fuck with drones all day but I think they're just a meme honestly. A fad in the industry. They've only shown promise in a few fields and seem like they could be easily replaced with something better. Of course UAS isn't about just drones but I'm just unsure of it.

Also thanks for the genuine advice it's appreciated.
>>
>>54728179
What about Electrical Engineering?
>>
File: IMG_5227.jpg (1 MB, 2767x1845) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5227.jpg
1 MB, 2767x1845
drones are simple whether it be quads or planes. everything is already made for you, you just chose what you want to do and spec the parts accordingly

if you are thinking of actually writing your own software, you better get real good at math
>>
>>54727973
aerial systems if you want to be a war criminal for amerikkka
>>
>>54728339
>>54728251
Np. EE is great too, someone has to design the PCBs and know about electrical properties and shit.

I'm biased because I'm a CE, but personally I'd say half of the EE's I know are getting co-ops / jobs writing software lol. So it's definitely useful but at least from my experience there are a fuckton of jobs in software atm.
>>
>>54727973
As long as it's not computer science you should be fine and not worry about being jobless. I think unmaned course/major you are talking about is a little too restricting and specific. EE is solid as fuck.
>>
>>54728386
Technically it's not Electrical Engineering. What I have offered to me is Electronic and Computer engineering. I'm not quite sure what the difference is though as they deal with pretty much the same stuff.
>>
>>54728374
Industrial engineer here. EE and CEs get cucked while I lean/six sigma your asses out of a job. Oh what's that? You're trying to transfer to a related industry/downstream?
>Sorry anon our company has vertically integrated and actually owns all the ones you applied to
Top fucking kek you bitch. Enjoy designing heated seats for my lexus so my ass can be nice and warm before you kiss it.
>>
An electrical engineering degree at a good school will teach you everything you need to know to get in to building robots. At the school I went to EE included physics, programming, circuits, electronics, digital logic, control, signals and systems, microprocessor arch, etc. If you have any interest in UAVs at all you'll come out of an EE degree knowing how to build UAVs from the transistor level on up to programming them to do stuff. I was designing and programming robots my sophomore year.
>>
>>54728418
...so maybe what you described happens, but someone has to write the software of everything lol. It's not like 1 industrial engineer can put a whole field out of work....

CE or EE are stable majors since there will always be software development jobs... Not too sure what point you're trying to make besides trolling
>>
>>54728527
I am just trying to be funny really. Both EE and Civil engineering are great fields to get into anon. If you want to code do not do CS or Computer Engineering. Do EE, Mechanical or Industrial. That way you can work on large scale applications instead of being paid shit at some big company like Apple or Google if you're lucky. I know 100k a year in silicon valley starting sounds like a lot. But that's like making near minimum wage in any other town really. IEs are typically project heads over groups of computer engineers when it comes to software design anyways but it is a very challenging field.
>>
>>54728670
Yeah IE's are pretty good. And I know, I'm a CE (compute engineer) who's living in Wisconsin, cost of living is cheaper than commiefornia and I make like 80k for out of college job.

People who don't take into account cost of living for their wage are retarded
>>
Unless you are really interested in drones, I'd choose the other one. More general, applicable to a wider range of things. Just in case you realise drones really aren't your thing 18 months into your career.
>>
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but it was the closest I could find to the career advice threads that used to be here a little.

I just finished my freshman year as an engineer. At my college, the engineering program starts out I think a little different in that all engineers have the same curriculum during freshman year. We didn't declare our disciplines until the second semester, and we don't start taking discipline specific classes until the third semester, which is next year for me.

I was a lazy piece of shit during my freshman year despite being fairly interested in most of the calculus and physics topics (especially physics II, since I declared electrical engineering). It just felt like an endless wave of apathy, no motivation to study hard. I finished with a subpar GPA, though I did not fail anything.

That said, is anyone in a program with a similar setup or was/is in a similar situation? I hope to get my shit together next year for the classes that are part of my major. I'm very excited for what I get to take next year but I'm afraid the same thing will happen.

Now that I read this over it's not very relevant at all, but whatever, the thread is done anyways.
>>
>>54728374
>>54728374
>>>54728339
>>>54728251
>I'm biased because I'm a CE, but personally I'd say half of the EE's I know are getting co-ops / jobs writing software lol.

What this guy said. I'm a recent EE grad and in my internships and co-ops I did software shit and right now I landed a job where I'll be doing even more software shit. Not that I'm complaining tho.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.