[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Need advice from programmers. >Almost finished 1st year of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: 20160227090252_java.jpg (17 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
20160227090252_java.jpg
17 KB, 620x349
Need advice from programmers.
>Almost finished 1st year of software development degree
>Good grades but feel I didn't really learn anything
>They taught us a shitload of java and a little bit of C++
>Currently looking to improve skills further along the summer
What would you recommend? I'm either going to dig into the official java tutorials or start learning C++ properly. Is java any good? I feel that C++ is much more important so I feel the need to learn more, because they didn't show me shit about C.
>>
>>54721168
Neither, learn Haskell.
>>
>>54721381
>>>54721168 (OP)
>Neither, learn Haskell.

can confirm and learn algorithms
>>
>>54721381
This

SPL is a popular programming language and good too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakespeare_Programming_Language

Here is an example for generating a sequence of Fibonacci numbers.

use Lingua::Shakespeare;

Fibonacci's numbers.

Romeo, a lover with an accumulative memory.
Juliet, a beautiful but domineering woman.
Ulysses, a spaceman.

Act I: A Minimalistic Play.

Scene I: Juliet Sets Things Straight.

[Enter Romeo and Juliet]

Juliet:
You are nothing. Remember yourself.
You are the difference between nothing and a pig.
Open your heart!

[Exit Romeo]

[Enter Ulysses]

Juliet:
You are the twice the square of the product of an stinking
goat and a fat pig. Speak your mind!

Scene II: Accumulative Juggling

[Exit Ulysses]

[Enter Romeo]

Romeo:
You are me.

Juliet:
Recall your inner most fears. You are the sum of me and thyself.
Are you better than nothing?

Romeo:
If not, we shall proceed to scene IV.

Juliet:
Open your heart! Remember me.

[Exit Romeo]

Scene III: A Spaceman Interferes.

[Enter Ulysses]

Juliet:
Speak thy mind!

Ulysses:
We must return to Scene II.

Scene IV: Romeo's head overflows.

[Exeunt]
>>
>>54721168
>I feel that C++ is much more important
it isn't. there's much more Java jobs, especially entry level
>>
>>54721168
My suggestions:

Java:
Make some web with java backend.
Bonus point if you're using widely used libraries in industries.

C++:
Try qt and make desktop application.
>>
File: 1460872052118.png (1 MB, 1000x3420) Image search: [Google]
1460872052118.png
1 MB, 1000x3420
>>54721512
my sides
>>
>>54721168
stick with java for now if you just want to learn to program properly. C++ is nice if you actually care about what you are doing and why and how these words do what they do, but it's a lot more and harder to learn as a result.
>>
>>54721168
C++ is not important unless you're doing games or systems level programming (think: operating systems). C++ is a difficult (and not in a good way), bloated mess of a language at this point, which is why languages like Rust are trying to replace it.

Instead of asking what you should do, what do you want to do? Leaning languages is not what being a programmer is about
>>
>>54721395
Go find a book CLRS and start working through learning algorithms and data structures. This is going to serve you well in the next couple of years of your csci undergrad career.

If you wanna work on your employable skills, You should like into xarmin, visual studio and Windows Azure.

Or if you want, start writing advanced data structures. Implement a stack with out using native java librarys, implement a balanced search tree, implement a linked-list, implement a doubly-linked list. Doing these exercises will improve your ability to work with classes in java
>>
File: Lachend__ber_den_Boden_rollen.gif (1 MB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
Lachend__ber_den_Boden_rollen.gif
1 MB, 600x400
>>54721512
Absolutely epic
>>
>>54724607
>'advanced' data structures
>>
What's your goal?
Do you want to get a nice easy well paid job at a large bank? Learn Java, maybe pick up some Scala as well.

Do you want to make video games for peanuts? Maybe learn C++, or alternatively just learn Unreal, Unity etc.
>>
>>54721986
fuck off sjw shill.
>>
ITT people too stupid to learn c++ bash on it for no reason. c++ is an adequate tool for lots of use cases. its not flawless but neither is any other language especially java.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.