[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Oculus' New DRM Just Made Pirating Games Way Easier
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 1463946228262418.jpg (119 KB, 1200x479) Image search: [Google]
1463946228262418.jpg
119 KB, 1200x479
>It's been a little bit over a day since Oculus started rolling out new DRM for its software, but it's already backfired, making pirating the company's games easier than ever.

>A software update Oculus released on Friday, which included new DRM, killed one of the VR community's favorite hacks. Revive, as the user-made software is called, allowed people to play games exclusive to the Oculus Rift on competing VR headsets like Valve's and HTC's Vive. At the time, Oculus told Motherboard that the new DRM wasn't targeting Revive specifically, but that it was "designed to curb piracy and protect content and developers over the long term." Revive, supposedly, was just collateral damage.

>The new DRM, however, appears to have only made Oculus' piracy problems way worse. Now, not only did the developer of Revive, who identifies simply as Libre VR, already find a way around the new DRM, his new workaround makes it easier to pirate Oculus games.

>Libre VR told Motherboard that whereas the original version of Revive simply took functions from the Oculus Runtime and translated them to OpenVR calls (an API compatible with Vive and other headsets), the new version of Revive now uses the same injection technique to bypass Oculus' ownership check altogether. By disabling the ownership check the game can no longer determine whether you legitimately own the game.

https://archive.is/0bbvf
>>
>
>Libre VR told Motherboard that whereas the original version of Revive simply took functions from the Oculus Runtime and translated them to OpenVR calls (an API compatible with Vive and other headsets), the new version of Revive now uses the same injection technique to bypass Oculus' ownership check altogether. By disabling the ownership check the game can no longer determine whether you legitimately own the game.

How does the new version making pirating easier? Doesn't he still need to use the wrappers around Oculus Runtime to convert to OpenVR, in order to run on a non-oculus device? Or does this patch mean code compiled against oculus runtime just werks on openvr?

Seems like it was made "the same difficulty, or slightly harder."
>>
>>54696664
It's either that or in searching for the way around the new DRM he found this method that also makes running pirated games easier.
>>
>>54696664
>bypasses ownership check
Literally piracy
>>
>>54696664
It seems like he's not translating anything anymore, he only bypasses the ownership check.
>>
Libre VR told you not to use his software to pirate though.
>>
>>54696774
dag.

if so, that's a pretty big fuckup.
>>
>>54696823
So did all the torrent clients out there. You think we give 1/10th of a fuck?
>>
This guy is so fucked. You do NOT cuck the Zuck.
>>
>>54696636
>>54696664
>>54696708
>>54696769
>>54696823
>comparing the act of plunder and murder at sea to unauthorized copying of software
end your life
>>
>Falling for the Cuckulus Rift meme

I'll be waiting for the Vive, at least that one won't shove any DRM down my throat.
>>
>>54696872
>Not realising steam itself is DRM
But yeah I agree, oculus is stupid for not using the openvr standard. It's just going to slow down the adoption of the by the mass public
>>
lol I told you fags this shit would happen when they made the runtime proprietary
>>
>>54696996
Steam is primarily a content delivery network.

Many games choose to implement Steam's DRM, but some choose not to.
>>
Good.

>Occucucks force to use Facebook-approved "apps"
>Everyone else can use anything as well as everything on the Jewberg marketplace
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.