[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whats the best way of obtaining privacy on the web?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3
File: gilfoyle.jpg (65 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
gilfoyle.jpg
65 KB, 1280x720
Which browser+search engine+extension combo?
FF/Chromium + DuckDuckGo + and adblocker?
Teach me, /g/
>>
>>54690303
gilfoyle is a dirty neckbeard jew
>>
>>54690303
You can use both Firefox & Chrome(ium) if you tweak them properly.

If still you don't trust them you can use midori, seamonkey , Palemoon. Pretty much any other browser is shit regarding performance & privacy (not to mention that faggotry shit called vivaldi)

Duckduckgo is fine however the results need to be filtered more properly, most of them are not 100% relevant to the search; Startpage is a better google and another option is qrobe.it

For extentions, ublock origin is still the best for me.Eventually get tampermonkey and the script "anti-adblock killer"
>>
>>54690303
Define privacy.

Good ISP, Secure DNS, own VPS, Firefox+(Disconnect+Decentraleyes+uBlock Origin+HTTPS everywhere+self destructing cookies+random agent spoofer) and DNSCrypt is a good combination. Use a VPN.
>>
is noscript even worth it these days? I'm getting tired of having to unblock scripts every time I go to a website
>>
>>54690303
turn your vpn on and dont post your real life name anywhere
>>
>>54690425
To me privacy means preventing sites from getting your data, same for your ISP and Google
>>
>>54690481
what data?
>>
>>54690369
He is like the best character of the show I love him #nohomo
>>
>>54690382
Ok I was already using ublock, thats good. Yeah thats what I don't like about duckduckgo, but otherwise its fine
>>
>>54690490
I don't know. I guess sites can pull your browser name, your logged in accounts / cookies, etc.
>>
>>54690587
>your logged in accounts
theres no way of ever hiding that. unless you refuse to log in.

cookies can be turned off with any browser

and the browser name, i think there are spoofer for that shit.
>>
Use a vpn + common useragent + wipe history & cookies

But actually, I've had some thoughts.
While "Nothing to hide" argument to justify surveillance is bullshit, let's put that aside since we know we're being surveillanced.

So what are your (rational) worries?
Are you doing "shady" stuff?
Are you planning to be a public anti-establishment figure that might get character assassinated by rather normal stuff?

Either way, doing all this privacy stuff is in itself shady and means that authorities actually have a reason to look at your stuff. While all data is normally logged it's never gonna be looked at by a human unless it draws their interest.
Here's an Idea, put up decoys, and do the things you want to hide separately.
>>
File: big-head.jpg (72 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
big-head.jpg
72 KB, 600x300
>>54690537
>he doesnt think big head is the best character on the show
>>
>>54690622
I honestly don't have anything to hide. I'm just sick of thinking that every website and its mother is using my data
>>
Firefox - HTTPS Everywhere, uBlock Origin, NoScript, DuckDuckGo, disable cookies

>>54690425
Disconnect has become pretty sketchy recently. I wouldn't recommend it.
>>
I R I D I U M
R
I
D
I
U
M
>>
>>54690698
do you torrent? in which country do you live
>>
File: 1463951932175.jpg (127 KB, 469x307) Image search: [Google]
1463951932175.jpg
127 KB, 469x307
don't web.
>>
>>54691171
I do, not seeding 24h/24 though. Only safe stuff like movies or music. And I live somwhere in Europe, you curious man
>>
>>54691251
>scared to say in which country you live
too bad, i wouldve tracked you with that sensitive information. i asked because the necessity of a vpn depends on your countries laws
>>
>>54691289
I prolly don't need a vpn in frankreich, you know
>>
>>54691354
wouldnt know, but that info is googleable. in germany you get letters by lawyers forcing you to pay 1k euros if they track your ip uploading even for a second. they usually do that in new movie and music releases. have several cases in my friendship and family circle
>>
>>54691408
oh we had that too here for a bit of time, don't remember the name but it didn't work really well. Sent an email if they spotted uploading, then two more emails if you kept going before going on the lawyer and monies stuff. Just had to keel your head low after the first email and it was fine
>>
>>54690303
Firefox
DuckDuckGo
uBlock, uMatrix (or NoScript+RequestPolicy+RefControl), Decentraleyes

Uninstall Adobe Flash (that shit is the reason why people get malware in 2016) and only enable JavaScript and third party requests if you absolutely need it.

Buy a 4chan pass, block google.
>>
>>54690744
>recently
always
>>
>>54691463
at least you get warnings. well, with a vpn you trade knowing that your ips can see everything you do and that websites and torrents can see your ip and other info with potentially letting your vpn company know what you do. they claim they dont keep logs, but you can't know for sure. i choose vpn, at least i can torrent save, unblock geographical filters and have doubts about someone seeing what i do vs. the certainty
>>
>>54691535
>ISP
- Knows your name, address and personal info
- Based in your country and your legal system
- Can deny you service, fucking you over
- Can physically send you angry letters
- Law-bound to pass on data to authorities
- *Will* MITM you and sell your browsing habits, no doubt about it

>VPN host
- Doesn't know anything about you other than your IP and browsing habits
- Based in a different country with different laws
- If they deny you service, you can just find another
- Promises, often with a warrant canary, to never store or share any information with the authorities
- *Could* MITM you, promises not to

The choice seems clear to me
>>
>>54691463
>>54691408
what about NL
>>
>>54690303
I'm cool because I run top while drinking beer.
>>
>>54690303
I personally use Chrome+Google+uBlock Origin, and NoScript set to allow by default (I enable on shady looking sites).

I don't mind the botnet, google is objectively the best search engine (data gathering aside), and I have Common Sense 2016 installed so malware isn't a worry.
>>
anyone have any vpn recommendations?
>>
>>54692037
I am going to set up my own VPN server in a shithole country next year as a personal project. Not sure which country though.

I'll set up a rasbpi and buy out a locker near the ISP. the only concern is the power rent.
>>
Tor.
>>
>>54690425
uBlock has access to Disconnects lists and uMatrix can spoof refs.
>>
Maelstrom/duckduckgo
force https/https everywhere, no script, ad block +, user agent switcher
>>
For Chrom(ium)
Https everywhere + Location guard + tab cookies + ublock origin + user-agent switcher.
Turn off Flash (and Javascript as well on shady websites).
Always run VPN + Tor + Incognito mode (in that order).
>>
>>54692904
*Don't forget to check the WebRTC anti-leak on ublock origin & Fanboy list
>>
not browsing the web
>>
does anyone get good results off duckduckgo?
I use it as my homepage and default browser but 70% of the time i have to use google to find what i want
>>
>>54693109
I do but i usually dont use it for anything to advanced.
>>
>>54693109
It's hit or miss.

DuckDuckGo is very good at simple searches, e.g. single keywords - especially stuff related to tech.

For example,
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=youtube-dl&ia=about
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=slackware&ia=about
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=stellaris&ia=meanings

It even brings up definitions, clearly marks official sites, shows alternatives (and lets you disambiguate), etc.

Google seems to be better for more complicated searches, for example multi-keyword searches or natural language searches, e.g. “firefox black screen hardware acceleration” or “distro security update response tiem comparison”.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.