[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
QTDDTOT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37
File: arnold-bench-dips3.gif (133 KB, 526x384) Image search: [Google]
arnold-bench-dips3.gif
133 KB, 526x384
Bench dips
How do they compare to regular dips? Are they inferior or just different? Do they still hit the chest as well as regular dips. Help me explore this exercise.
>>
I am a total noob and I just did 5x5 AtG squats with what I hope is close to proper low bar form with nothing but a mop handle and my legs are wobbly. Please, when you were new, were you this weak?
>>
Guys, i need some advice as a recovering fatass (not related to food)

Down to 280 from 320, did a hard cut for 10 weeks eating 1200 to 1500 cals everyday, mostly protein and very low carbs. (less than 50g a day)

I'm currently lifting and i want to start doing cardio, is that a good idea or should i just keep lifting? people say that fatties should lift because it burns calories and builds muscle, but then others say that it doesn't matter and that i should just focus on losing weight by cutting (muh joint pain and prone to injury) and also that it's very hard to build muscle while on a hard cut.

Am i building muscle underneath the fat or not? i guess at the very least, i'm still burning calories
>>
Guys do you start mirin' other men when in the gym after one month of liftan like me?
>>
>>37198990
lyle mcdonald's rapid fat loss handbook covers this pretty well. he recommends just doing your regular weight training at less intensity.

there's an older version of the book (with all the same core information floating around public torrent sites if you want to see the relevant chapter before spending the money. it's worth reading.
>>
File: pepe41.gif (952 KB, 320x214) Image search: [Google]
pepe41.gif
952 KB, 320x214
Is there any way to prevent loose skin as a fat ass? i'm not a 500lbs hambeast or anything (currently at 275) and i'm also young (19)

I see people who went from fat to fit and look good and others that look like a melted popsicle.

I hear people saying that it's caused by loosing weight too rapidly, is 4lbs per week too fast? Others say that it's genetics and others say that it's inevitable
>>
>>37198847
They are nice. They offer a greater range of motion for your shoulder that´s why most people say they´re bad for your shoulder which is true you aren't mobile enough but they are a great exercise. They are easier than p-bar dips and focus on triceps and shoulders. Just be conservative with how low you dip down in the beginning as you get used to the degree of shoulder extension.
>>
>>37198847
CHAD does bodyweight bench dips and has the BEST CHEST in the WORLD, while YOU do 3x8 90lbs weighted bar dips and have a SHIT chest
>>
>>37198935
Many people were or are, your first steps are your hardest.

I lost heaps of weight after being a fatass, then decided to start lifting, my squats and Deadlifts started out with the 10kg and 15kg barbells and I managed 100kg Deadlift within the year, without specific training, a strict schedule or diet.

I just kind of did certain exercises a few times a week and got stronger at those.

You'll make it, keep it up. The tough barriers you're at now will be nothing to you in 6 months and you'll have new tough barriers that will be nothing to you in a further 6 months.
>>
What is the best power clean rep range to build upper back mass?
>>
>>37198847
they target triceps obviously
>>
>>37199081
Strong as fuck chest.... can do 30 parallel bar dips with a 20kg backpack on..... storing some fat over the top. Genetics fail :'(.
>>
>>37199091
Oly lifts should be kept low rep, 1-5. Try 8x3, focusing on form.

Row or do lat pulldowns for upper back gains.
>>
>>37199086
Thanks inspiranon. I just lost 60 lbs myself. Almost where I want to be so I figured I'd better get to lifting.
>>
What's the Bert way to do weighted push ups?
>>
>>37199300
Best
>>
File: me tipping at you lady.jpg (43 KB, 320x400) Image search: [Google]
me tipping at you lady.jpg
43 KB, 320x400
>>37199118
>lat pulldowns
>>
>>37199300
I'd say a tigh back pack with weights in it
>>
File: 1433947002733.png (208 KB, 1200x958) Image search: [Google]
1433947002733.png
208 KB, 1200x958
I've injured the inside of my hip doing squats, most probably because of shit form due to any of the following; long femurs, poor ankle mobility, tight hip flexors etc etc. so basically i cant progress on SS the way i wanted to. (maybe just gods way of saying that the dinosaurs died out for a reason) So while im resting up and increasing flexibility with stretches, is there any other excercise i could replace squats with? could i deadlift every excercise day? Also Im stalling on all my lifts except dead, should i just hop on PPL?

tldr what to replace squats
>>
>>37198994
Been lifting for two years. Still mire other men regularly, still feel like shit compared to the bigger guys and I'm comfortably above 1/2/3/4 at 205lbs 15% 6'1". It never goes away.
>>
List all the ways you can progress an exercise for more gains besides simply adding more weight
>>
>>37199738

There's a ton of ways. This is just a few of the main ones.

More reps
More sets
Slower tempo
Less rest
Form changes/moving to harder variations

All of those have limitations, but they all work under the right circumstances.
>>
I am somehow still sore from the squats i did on Sunday. Should i go do deadlifts right now?
>>
>>37199831

As long as the soreness isn't so bad that you can't get into the proper position, there's no reason you can't go deadlift. Soreness doesn't have much to do with whether you're recovered or not.
>>
anyone has a nice recipe for a pre workout drink?
>>
>>37198990
More muscle mass = higher TDEE
Lifting =continuous calorie burn up to 24 hours after

Do both if you can, but always put lifting first (not necessarily literally)
>>
What's the deal with sodium? I was eating something with feta in it and some normie told me that I shouldn't eat that on a diet because it has a shitload of sodium.
>>
>>37198847

Am i a faggot for wanting to suck on arnolds perfect toes?
>>
>>37199970
the only thing that happens is more water retention
you can eat all the sodium in the world if you also get enough potassium and (most importantly) water
>>
This girl in my class keeps eye fucking me and I swear I'm not autistic. When I catch staring at me she maintains eye contact for a few seconds and looks away. There's one problem though, she has a boyfriend. Should I even try anything?
>>
Noob lifter here. Been doing strong lifts for a couple of months now and I want to add some accessories. How do I know where to start? Should I just apply the same principle as the compound lifts and start low and steadily increase weight, or should where I feel a bit of a pump and work from there?

Stats are 80kg (175lb) Squat, 100kg (220lb) Dead and 50kg (110lb) Bench if that's relevant
>>
>>37200010
Yeah, you should try to kill yourself.
>>
Should I eat my own cum? Is 100% of the protein intake actually taken into your body, or do you poop some of it out? I want to fap alot but not lose any proteins. I don't care about fat/energy
>>
>>37199760
As long as you're able to progress in the ways you mentioned, calisthenics is totally viable for building muscle right? Provided diet is in order
>>
>>37200044
IT is, but not at the same rate as weight lifting, because you put way more tension on the muscles with weights. But if you're just aiming at otter mode asthetic look, calisthenic is good!
>>
>>37200073
Sweet!
>>
>>37200073
>because you put way more tension on the muscles with weights
That's just flat out wrong.

Resistance is resistance. Calisthenics exercises work just as well as using weights. The real reason why it's considered less effective, is that after a while you have to learn new, advanced variations of the exercises that are quite hard to learn, especially if you're gaining muscle (extra bodyweight). Whereas with a barbell you can progress simply be slapping on an extra pair of plates - it's still the same exercise.
>>
>>37200111
Do you need to learn new moves? Or can you simply progress the same basic exercises in different ways? Eg add more sets to the basic weighted push up. Do you NEED to get all flashy to progress results wise?
>>
>>37198847
Currently cutting and just had a shit workout, squatted and OHPd less than usual. In the event that this is not just a one off and is actual strength loss as a result of my cut, do I need to further reduce calories to compensate for the reduced intensity of my workout?

Also, is HIIT too catabolic for cutting?
>>
File: startbodyweight variation.jpg (678 KB, 2207x2340) Image search: [Google]
startbodyweight variation.jpg
678 KB, 2207x2340
>>37200111
That's what I meant by more tension... Didn't want to go in length explanations... You did it though, thanks!

>>37200151
You'll need to change the variations, not the exercice itself. ie change hand placement for push ups, one legged squats, or one arm pull up...

go startbodyweight.com
>>
>>37200032
Why? Should I try to cuck her bf or what?
>>
I'm scared to get into weightlifting because of my form. I feel like before I improve I'm going to end up doing some lasting damage. Would it be acceptable/beneficial to get a weightlifting belt? A lot of my form problems manifest in my back since I used to weigh 400lbs(290 now).
>>
>>37199831
Stretch beforehand

Psoas, hips, hams
>>
>>37200253
Ask a coach/employee or somebody in the gym to watch for your form!
>>
>>37198847
My hammies are fucking made of wood. I can't get anywhere near my toes if I try to touch them. This means I have horrendous buttwink. Should I even be squatting at all? What stretches can I do? This is extreme inflexibility
>>
>>37200253
My background is rehabilitation so maybe I'm biased, but I say it's a common misconception that everybody should start out doing back squats and deadlifts. You have to pick exercises that are appropriate for your level of strength, mobility, and motor control.
A gymnastics coach wouldn't have you try to perform an Iron Cross on your first day. Of course an Iron Cross is a whole lot harder to learn than a back squat, but the principle remains - You don't start practicing an exercise that's way above your current level. The fact of the matter is that a lot of people who come here to get their form corrected will never manage to get a perfect squat, because they've skipped important learning steps and just started piling weight on top of a fundamentally dysfunctional movement pattern. With practice their squat may start looking more and more proper, but the trained eye will notice plenty of little, but important faults that skew the risk/reward ratio of the exercise in a negative direction.

Getting a belt is not the answer. Best case scenario it's a bandaid that masks your weaknesses (in your case - a belt does have its uses). Start out doing Goblet squats (or maybe an even easier variation of the squat) and progress to Air squats once you become good at bracing and your hips start loosening up. Only then can you start playing around with some more serious loading.
>>
>>37200483
Contrary to popular belief, it's rare to have hamstring flexibility limit your squat.
If you have a mirror nearby, try playing around with some "quadrupled rocking" (Google it) and see if you can physically get close to something that mimics the bottom of the squat when you have your hands and knees supported on the floor.

Ideally you should warm up first. If you can do this succesfully, it's not a hamstring issue.
>>
>>37200635
Quadruped*
>>
>>37198990
Everyone should do cardio. Cardio is not just running, go for a walk, hike, bike ride, swim, whatever. If you can keep your heart rate up for 20-30 minutes, lift and maintain you current diet, you'll probably see results faster.
>>
>>37199654
hop on PPL.replace squats with lunges for a few weeks.
>>
>>37200044
Calestenics has worked great for me. Every time i see a bar or some thing now im so tempted to just start exercising.

Plus its cool when you learn new tricks. Like lsit pull ups, handstands for ages, handstand push ups etc etc. I just keep getting better over time. Plus its fun which means im not going to give up.
>>
Would 20 pushups every hour at work every day effect my normal training? It energizes me throughout the workday but I stopped doing it after I hit higher numbers in ohp because I was worried it would stall me
>>
>>37200967
Not really unless you trained your chest/triceps really hard the day before or hurt yourself. It kinda becomes cardio doing only 20 normal pushups...
>>
How do you get over a breakup if you don't want anyone else and don't really want to tinder or something?

She broke up with me today on my birthday and said she doesn't feel the same anymore and she was too young. (Long distance she's 18) she was crying as she was saying it though?

Is it possible to just lose that feeling? I don't know. My first gf.
>>
>>37198935
That's normal for a beginner. Withhin a month or two you'll probably be able to do 20kg at 5x5 AtG.
>>
Stalling hard on my cut. 6'3. 195 eating around 2000 Cal (active trade-job). Should I eat less, I just want to drop 3-4% bf (current 15% ish. Taken with shitty calipers)
>>
>>37201014
Awesome that's what I thought
>>
>>37201234
Stalling for how much time?

>>37201246
This is just my take on it though, maybe someone could confirm I'm right...
>>
>>37199970
eating sodium will basically fuck up your weight because you will retain a lot of water. So the numbers you will get from the scale may vary up and down by +/- 2 kg each time you weigh yourself depending on salt intake that day. Eating < 1g of salt / day makes the scale numbers really consistent (also assuming everything else is as consistent as possible; get out of bad, empty bladder, get naked, get on scale before eating anything, ...)

At least that's how it works for me.

Eating low sodium is one of the hardest dietary changes there is, IMO, and if you're not old/high blood pressure/etc there isn't all that much benefit to gain from it, AFAIK. So either just measure bodyfat % & waist circumference and accept that scale numbers are meaningless unless averaged over a week or two, or cut down to 1g salt/day or less if you're serious about it. The other main benefit is that you'll look a bit leaner & harder on low sodium.
>>
>>37201246
Im more worried about if 20 pull ups 4 times a day will kill my progress. 20 push ups is no problem. Its like cycling. At first it kills you then later on after a 100km ride you feel disapointed that maybe you could of pushed harder and annoyed that your not tired.... thats how i feel anyway.
>>
>>37200483
"My hamstrings are inflexible, how do I fix this" make them flexible? Foam roll, use a resistance band to do leg extensions straight up whilst lying on your back on the floor. Raise your leg parallel on a kitchen worktop or something, just stretch hamstrings there's no secret behind it.
>>
>>37198847
How do I brine boneless skinless chicken breast real good?

All the shit I find online tells me to use sugar, but I remember seeing copypasta/images on /fit/ that don't mention sugar at all
>>
>>37201264
About 2 months of being in this range. I tried dropping down to 1600 for 2 weeks last month and all it did was make me lethargic at work.
>>
Is running a meme?

If my goal is to lower body fat before I build my self up the right way, would running everyday and eating less get me there?

Does running even burn that many calories? Should I be lifting instead?
>>
>>37201124
Do something that you enjoy, hang out with friends, pick up a new hobby. All of these things will distract you until it gradually hurts less and less.
>>
>>37201710
The sticky. Read it.

>>37201655
I'd say more cardio then. Or eating less. It's all about maintaining a deficit anyway... When you where at 1600, did you notice any weight loss ?
Also, maybe do a refuel day/week on high carbs and then drop back (it's detailed in the diet section of the sticky)
>>
Just checked the sugar content on my weight gainer and it's 48.8g of sugar per serving

Is that way above the average?
>>
>>37202018
Weightgainers are basically just overpriced sugar with some whey thrown in.
Provided you're not lactose intolerant, whole milk is a cheap and excellent option. You can even mix in some chocolate protein powder for delicious liquid cake taste.
Just don't start out drinking a gallon a day.
>>
>home, away from awesome, free uni gym
>not staying at home for long enough to warrant gym membership
>only equipment I have is a non-adjustable bench, a pull up bar, and a curl barbell, with all the weights in a room too small to even stand in
I have a huge lawn though, so it dawned on me that I can become /outsidegymmasterrace/. couple of questions
1. anybody else work out outside before? any tips or problems you've encountered?
2. I can do 1 or 2 primary exercises for every muscle with this, but Im totally lost on what to substitute out for cable, machine and dumbell exercises. should I just start stacking up barbell excercises? I dont know how many variations I can get without a good bench setup
>>
>>37202075
I already drink like a pint of milk a day not including my weight gainer

Gone from 110lbs to 160 in a year so I'm happy enough with my progress, just making sure my sugar intake from this weight gainer isn't rotting my guts, which I guess it is

Shit
>>
Curious as to what kind of macro nutrient ratios you guys use.

Does it change if your are cutting or bulking?
>>
>Asian girl at gym
>doing all leg workouts
>Im standing there, stronger but body weights remained the same

Fuck, breaking past 225 lbs is a struggle for me.
>>
>>37202281
It should change when your cutting: you should basically eat less carbs unless your on a specifit diet (ie carb cycling, if ever it's not a meme)
>>
I'm on my 3rd month of SL, doing 3x5 instead of 5x5 and my grip is failing me on diddlys at 95kg, what can I do? I was thinking of deloading and doing more volume to train grip strength
>>
>>37202372
More fat and protein and fewer carbs huh?
>>
>>37202397
That's what is usually done... Not saying it works best or worst though.
>>
>>37202430
Should I avoid fruit because of the carbs too even tho they're such low cal
>>
>>37202448
I guess it depends on you... The aim of reduicing carbs is to keep muscle mass. But I'd say that if the piece of fruit is in your calorie plan, it should be ok as long as you don't eat ONLY fruits.
>>
>>37202379
Do static holds
>>
>>37202483
>The aim of reduicing carbs is to keep muscle mass
Lol, how do you figure that? Nonsense.
>>
>>37202524
Not saying it works or anything. You're asking something, I'm telling you what people do and why they do it.
Now if you're not happy with my answer you can go fuck yourself.
>>
What's the best way to brine chicken breast?
>>
>>37202566
Damn right I'm not happy with it, because it's not true and it doesn't even make sense.
If you're not certain about the things you post, then maybe you should note that instead of just spreading misinformation.
>>
>>37202379
Are you using chalk?
Are you doing Mixed grip?
Honestly unless you're a 50-60 kg twink I can't see anyone failing 95kg diddy if they do the two things I mentioned.
>>
File: oly1.jpg (702 KB, 1600x2400) Image search: [Google]
oly1.jpg
702 KB, 1600x2400
>>37198847
Can someome post the image of the guy posting on /fit/ while some grills tell something like "anon is so popular he is always texting"
>>
Is an upside down pushup the same as The Pressing your body weight?
>>
>>37202626
Is there more images like this?
>>
File: 1411379381711 (1).jpg (207 KB, 600x1098) Image search: [Google]
1411379381711 (1).jpg
207 KB, 600x1098
>>37202722
>>
would it be possible to modify candito's 6 week strength program in order to focus on OHP instead of bench? so instead of doing bench along with a horizontal and vertical push as accessory, doing OHP and a horizontal and vertical push as accessory?

i only ask because my bench is leaps and bounds ahead of my OHP and i'm having trouble finding a strength routine for intermediates which isn't just going to make that strength imbalance worse.

thanks
>>
2XL fat ass here. Losing weight pretty fast.

I need some new clothes for the gym. Tying off my old basketball shorts and sweat pants doesn't work anymore. They keep sliding off during lifts and walking. I'm light on funds at the moment. Can anyone recommend something CHEAP I can comfortably wear for cycling/lifting. For shorts/pants?
>>
File: to meme or not to meme.png (18 KB, 778x320) Image search: [Google]
to meme or not to meme.png
18 KB, 778x320
is the 5:2 method a good approach for cutting?
>>
>>37198847
When I do those dips it fucks up my shoulder joints, normal dips, OHP, bench is all better for tri's and chest
>>
>>37198935
If you're that weak you might try very high volume bodyweight squats. Do like hundreds a day for a week or so
>>
What does /fit/ think of this? https://m.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/2lkxuf/been_doing_nothing_but_chinspull_ups_for_years/
>>
>>37199086
Lol, how can you be so weak niqqa? I know bragging on the Internet and all but I started with 60 kg DL and bench, 100 kg after like 3 months
>>
File: ronda1.jpg (67 KB, 634x476) Image search: [Google]
ronda1.jpg
67 KB, 634x476
>>37203724
it's a good way to quicjkly achieve a decent look, since it hits all upper body "glamorous" muscles (biceps, shoulder, lats) but it's not a good way to achieve overall fitness. you get imbalances, weak legs, shit cardio. on the long run, the risk of injury surpasses the quick aesthetic gains. add body weight squats, and any combination of dips and push ups and it becomes 100% better.
>>
>>37203724
also, 5 sets of 8 is goat for hypertrophy. just needs more push and squats
>>
Is it important to have protein after Martial Arts training? In comparison to hitting my macros on a lifting day?
>>
>>37203769
Yeah I think swimming and goblet squats would have given the guy a more well rounded body. Or even just swimming might have made the lower body 'blend in' more in regard to his upper half
>>
Is there a difference between whole grain and whole wheat food?
If so, what is it? Is one better or worse?
>>
Can you stick to the same routine/exercises forever so long as you keep following progressive overload?
>>
A-Are machines death traps?
>>
>>37203705
>that weak
;_; I know Sempai. But you trying to kill me?
>>
>>37203953
Exercises? Yes. Routine? Depends what you mean. You will need to change up sets, reps and rest times/days at some point, but that can all be considered part of progressive overload.
>>
File: CANTWAKEUP.jpg (81 KB, 505x371) Image search: [Google]
CANTWAKEUP.jpg
81 KB, 505x371
>>37204002

Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2q4LLYG8sU
>>
>>37204102
Fuggg there goes my self-made cyborg program I was gonna follow. Screw that
>>
>>37203953
Theoretically yes. The problem is that if you keep doing the same thing, it becomes more and more difficult to force progressive overload, because of what's called accomodation i.e. your body gets used to the stimuli and it won't force any further adaptation.

In fact, one could say that sets, reps, intensity, density, frequency, exercise selection - everything that constitutes a routine really - are just variables that can and must be manipulated in order to keep achieving progressive overload.
>>
When it comes to pull ups do I have to keep changing variations? Will I see progress of I just stick to the basic pull up but treat it like any other 'lift' - Eg: add sets and add weight. Or is doing all those flashy moves a must for reaching that aesthetic level.
>>
>>37204140
That makes perfect sense cheers mate
>>
>>37199038
I think it's same intensity but less volume
>>
>>37204196
The trick of course, is to know how use variation properly and in an effective manner, rather than just doing things completely at random.
>>
File: mqdefault.jpg (8 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
mqdefault.jpg
8 KB, 320x180
>>37203455
p-pls respond
>>
>>37204256
Educate me on pull ups friend. How can I go wrong just doing the basic pull up? Do I need the other variations if I'm tweaking sets/reps/resistance every once in a while?
>>
File: 1401347055965.jpg (138 KB, 901x717) Image search: [Google]
1401347055965.jpg
138 KB, 901x717
>>37202626
For you, anon
>>
>>37204321
Love pull ups. But the whole progression/variation stuff confuses the hell out of me. All I want is aesthetics if that helps
>>
>>37204321
It's probably not something you have to worry about at this point in time. Besides, it's not hard to create an effective routine - but creating a perfect routine is damn near impossible unless you've read some actual books on periodization and such.
>>
>>37203455
>>37204272
I recently bought these on amazon. All are fine quality. I'd consider ~$10/pair pretty cheap. Otherwise, hit up thrift shops?
>>
File: 1434703052328.jpg (957 KB, 518x3648) Image search: [Google]
1434703052328.jpg
957 KB, 518x3648
>>37204361
Thanks m8
>>
>>37204373
I think you're right. My plan for now is to add reps to sets then eventually do weighted pull ups. That should get me far
>>
File: bod1.jpg (28 KB, 592x427) Image search: [Google]
bod1.jpg
28 KB, 592x427
I don't have a lot of muscle mass and my %bf isn't too high either, but I weight quite a lot, despite of not having massive bones. Where is all this weight stored?
188cm / 93kg
slightly more than 6'2 and 205lbs

pic related
>>
File: 20160517_205825.jpg (395 KB, 832x843) Image search: [Google]
20160517_205825.jpg
395 KB, 832x843
Can I get a six pack? Or is it down to genetics?
>>
>>37198847
things are going great with this qt from uni. however, she gets ravaged every night by her bf and i have only kissed 4 girls in my life and i was drunk on all occasions. tomorrow i'll get a chance to kiss her but im afraid i'll fuck up because no experience

how do i do it brehs? i wanna cuck that fag badly
>>
>>37204153
You won't get that flashy with pull up variations, but yeah you must try to go all the way to the one hand pull up/chin up...
>>
>>37204587
Your BF is probably much higher than you think.
Also water.
>>
File: Creed Premiere 9-20151120-17.jpg (43 KB, 470x355) Image search: [Google]
Creed Premiere 9-20151120-17.jpg
43 KB, 470x355
>>37204443
yeah ill try that man. I will go to thrift shops ive seen that mentioned a few times.

I just want something semi-durable so they don't rip in under a month. Thank you anon!
>>
>>37204605
i dont think it's impossible for anyone to get low enough bf and strong enough abs for a six pack. The shape and symmetry of your abs on the other hand are genetic
>>
>>37204750
Do you need to isolate abs? Or are compounds enough? As well as low bf for visible abs
>>
I'm on week 5 of couch to 5K but didnt keep my heart rate in the aerobic zone and was running at about 85% the whole time. Do I need to start over to see results?
>>
>>37200176
I'm 5 months into my cut, doing HIIT and IF.

I would dissect the workout on why it wasn't 100%.
Reflect on your energy levels, time you ate last, your macros, your hormones or mental block.

HIIT is ideal on a cut, just look around in the /cutting general thread/
>>
>>37204361
This pic is me!
>>
Doing no fap because years of fapping have left me useless to a woman. But now I'm busting early when I'm with a girl. Is this to be expected and will it improve or do I need to find a balance between fapping and not?
>>
>>37204770
You need isolation work for abs. Diet is key, but also need abs to get bigger. That's why you see skinny guys not have abs.
>>
>>37205694
This is a good problem to have.... since you have a girl for this to be a problem.
>>
Been getting mixed responses. Are leg extensions bad for your knees or not? A lot of people on youtube recommend them in their routines, but others say it puts a lot of pressure on the knees. I just want to use them as an assistance, are they worth doing or no?
>>
>>37205694
kegels and quit being so fuckin nervous
>>
>>37205764
Just do it
>>
routine check:

>A
Squats 4*10
Bench 5*8
Rows 4*10

>B
Squats 4*10
Dips 4*12
Pull ups 5*8

>C
Squats 4*10
OHP 4*10
Chin ups 4*10

each day also has some planks, stretches and cardio. I sometimes substitute squats with DL when I feel like it.
>>
How do I ass to the gras ? Everytime I go really low on squat my back starts arching, could it be because I'm 6,3 and have really long legs ?
>>
Is pre-workout-shake a meme?
Never tried, I'm usually doing fine with a banana and coffee but I was wondering if that might help improve my workout.
What ingredients are important?
>>
>>37205985
No. Post form.
>>
File: squatts.png (29 KB, 1064x752) Image search: [Google]
squatts.png
29 KB, 1064x752
>>37205985
I think you mean your back starts *rounding*, which is the opposite of arching. rounding the lower back while squatting is called a butt wink. there is a lot of info on how to avoid it because it is super common.
>>
>>37206047
well extreme arching like in my pic is not good either, it should be straight or slightly arched, but not rounded.
>>
File: image.gif (1 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
1 MB, 500x281
What do I replace barbell rows with? Hot damn do I hate doing them.

I'm fully aware how good it is an compound movement, but I can't take it anymore.

Any help, brehs?
>>
>>37206075
short answer: pull ups and chin ups

long answer: above + different rows variation
>>
>>37200030
Add in Dips and Pullups going 3x5-8
>>
Is five poops a day normal? They're usually pretty solid and almost always large.
>>
whole body has DOMS after working out on sunday for the first time in 3 weeks due to finals. I was going to go again today but is DOMS generally a sign that you should rest?
>>
what do you eat for snacks in a work? i need something quick high in calories and healthy that you can buy on a way to work. no nuts i already eat them no milk.
>>
How am I supposed to do pplpplx if I still have dons from the last day. Is that normal?
>>
>>37206253
Doms - autocorrect
>>
>>37206168
Sometimes DOMS can be masking an underlying injury, but in your case if you haven't worked out for 3 weeks cause of finals but had a good program before you should be fine. Just stretch and stay hydrated.
>>
>>37205988
Get a good rounded small meal or blend it and put it into the shake.
More carbs the better.

I usually do a 4-5 tablespoons of greek yogurt with a banana.
>>
Asked this is the last thread, but it got archived:

Lately, I've been feeling a small amount of pain in my lower right back. The pain seems to come intermittently, and doesn't happen when I'm lifting. Should I be worried?

It's right near my side, so I don't think it's my back. I could be wrong, though.

I'm seeing my doctor about it on Thursday, just to be safe.
>>
>>37206535
what do you eat after a workout
>>
>>37206646

Oh god what did we tell you about form anon
>>
>>37198990
>Am i building muscle underneath the fat or not?

as a total beginner, you'll build muscle even if you're on a cut. in addition, since you're such a egregious lardass, your body contains an all you can eat buffet, and you will be able to grow some muscle.

One thing you can DEFINITELY build on a cut is strength. Gains come slower, but you can see gains in your central nervous system and motor coordination.
>>
>>37203112
bump
>>
How do I know where to start on SS?

Like how much should I start lifting?
>>
>>37206772
1) Read the fuckin book
2) If you have to ask this question, then I would assume the bar is good. If not, add weight on each set until you feel like it's where you should be.
>>
>>37206234
fruit
>>
File: Vmrtywh.jpg (82 KB, 640x580) Image search: [Google]
Vmrtywh.jpg
82 KB, 640x580
>>37200198
That'd be a dick move but you're free to make that move.

Just know that she is probably complete trash if she's pulling shit like this.

They usually go with the whole "Oh yeah we're gonna break up soon anyway, he does X and Y that I don't like." And then they make the guy look like a dick to distract you and make you "rescue" them or some shit.

A normal person breaks up with whoever they don't wanna be with waits a bit then jumps back into the fray.

Yes I'm cynical about it.
>>
What triceps and shoulder routines do y'all do? Which exercises have you seen the best results with?
>>
>>37206651
Depends on couple variables for my scenario.
I'm an advertising exec so my lift times are ether in the range of 1-4pm or 9-1am.
For the afternoon lift
I do my yogurt and banana, walk over to the gym, hit it, this is where I listen to my body.
If I'm starving and hit the lifts heavy, I go straight to a healthy restaurant by my office and get some grilled chicken breast (6-8oz) over brown rice (.5 to 1 cup)
or
Just pound a scoop of whey in water if I'm going to dinner or grabbing a drink later or a usual shake with milk, banana, greek yogurt, scoop.

If I have to do a late night lift, I usually IF as long as I can and usually eat a small salad with some tuna or chicken around 4-5pm, do 1 cup of oats, milk or water, whey before the gym then hit the gym.
I like doing late night lifts for a couple reasons, burns your energy for a great sleep and dinner afterwards is a fucking treat.

It took me 6 months of cutting and IF with my schedule to figure out this ideal plan and eating plan.
Consistently gaining muscle, losing Bf % and hitting all macros and not constantly being hungry.

Don't take this for anything, listen to your body, your schedule and figure what your body needs and where and when your lifts suffer from lack of fuel.
>>
>>37206772
>SS has every answer in it
>not reading the book but want to do SS
You type of people don't deserve to make it
>>
>>37206840
plate front raises

shrugs

bench dips

pull ups
>>
Getting addicted to the gym isn't bad, right?
>>
>>37206836

What happened anon?
>>
>>37206856
it's not bad just prioritize university and work over gym
>>
>>37199054
I was 260 down to 176
Couple stretch marks but thats about it.

They are mostly faded already too
>>
>>37204693
>>37204693
Just wing it, she wont think anythings up unless you are noticeably nervous
>>
>>37206845
Ha, where do you work? I work in commercial production in LA.
>>
File: weak lifts.jpg (33 KB, 552x475) Image search: [Google]
weak lifts.jpg
33 KB, 552x475
>>37206867

Okay, I can do that, thanks
>>
>>37206852
>>37206772

Jesus guys I just asked a simple question
>>
>>37206772
try it a few times, lifting less rather than too much, until you find the weight at which you are just barely able to complete the reps without cheating on rest time
>>
File: 1452362110593.jpg (545 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1452362110593.jpg
545 KB, 1920x1080
>>37206864
I tried to write this out but getting into explaining it is too much right now. I'll leave a lot of detail out.

Someone treated me like complete shit after I was there for her for the better part of 9 months.
She knew she was moving away and told me she loved me a few times in the past two months. I only told her I loved her back a week before she left.

Couple of days before she left we went out with friends and I ended up getting ditched by her to babysit her best friend who got too drunk.

Caught her in her room with another guy while me and her friend went by.

She came to yell at me that she did nothing wrong and she wasn't hooking up with the guy in front of a coworker for about 30 seconds before storming off. Last I saw of her. She didn't even say goodbye.
>>
>>37206986
the quote is "do not take me", not "mistake me"

autism is suffering
>>
>>37206984
6 months in Chicago 6 months in Tokyo.

Lifting is the only thing that keeps me sane.
>>
>>37207375

Yeah, you're right, but the pic is too good to not be used
>>
can someone let me know of like a variety of strength training routines that aren't 5/3/1 (too slow), candito's 6 week (not enough upper body), texas method (that many squats hurt my knees due to past injuries) or power to the people (just finished it)?

i've been scouring the net and books for days and have come up with nothing. surely there must be something out there that gives upper body a decent shot which isn't either slow or extremely squat heavy.
>>
How fast should I be progressing on a beginner routine? It says to add weight every time you hit a lift which tends to take one failed attempt and then I hit it next time. Is that ok? Or is it time for an intermediate routine?
>>
>>37207443
do texas with less squatting? Every single lifter has his own bodily restraints and has to play around that, I don't think I know a single person who lifts who doesn't need to adapt slightly thanks to something they have going on

You'll never fit a program perfectly, you need to make a program that fits you
>>
>>37207499
I have no idea what you're talking about. Therefore, you're still a beginner.
>>
Is ON whey powder good? Also what flavor is best?
>>
>>37207550
ok thank you very much. one more question - if i do squats twice or even once per week, could i add in more deadlifts, and if so, what set/rep scheme (me being new to TM coupled with the understanding that deads shouldn't be done in excess is making this difficult to plan)?
>>
I'll try and dumb it down for you:

A beginner routine generally involves linear progression, right? Well how fast would the typical beginner progress in weight on the bench press?
>>
Hey guys, what's better StrongLifts or SS?
>>
>>37199081

ACTUALLY, the ONLY dip Chad cares about is for his TOSTITOS. And he looks FANTASTIC while YOU look like UTTER SHIT.
>>
>>37207733
SS
>>
Is giving yourself a bicep pump on rest days before you go out interfering with gains?

I'm talking one light set.
>>
>>37207675
I've been adding 5 lbs onto bench each week
>>
>>37206795

Jesus the book is 400 pages

Isn't there some really fast hey lift this much

Like a chart or something
>>
Im running texas method currently. Stats are 295 BP, 405 back squat, 415 deadlift.

I had to take a 2.5 week break due to end of school semester bullshit and now I struggled today for my 305 5x5. On Friday my 1x5 felt shitty as well. My deadlift is kinda struggling now as well. Did 315 1x5 today and it sucked.

How much should i deload to work back up? I was thinking 275 for squats and 295 for diddly
>>
>>37206047
There's no way to avoid it.
>>
>>37207916
yes, but a lot of pages are pictures, and its actually not so much of a chore to get through the rest, they are an easy 400 pages. i'd go so far as to say the descriptions of each of the 4 main lifts are required reading for anyone interested in strength training. a lot of the book is also descriptions of lifts which you may not necessarily need to bother reading.

"damn, i really regret reading the most in depth analysis of squat and deadlift form available in writing" said the guy who can't do 1/2/3/4.
>>
>>37208150

What's 1/2/3/4?
>>
>>37208162
1 pl8 ohp/ 2 pl8 bench/ 3 pl8 squat/ 4 pl8 diddly
>>
>>37208185

How much is a plate just wondering

25lb?
>>
Should I take breaks from creatine? Can I really just take it all year and be fine?
>>
>>37208287
Nigga 45 lbs what are you a noob or something
>>
>>37208358
it doesn't matter
>>
>>37208162
>>37208185
how long does it normally take to hit this if you start from 170lb BW and 6'1"? Is it just a SS thing?
>>
I'm at 70kg (154 lbs) at around 19%bf. Is it possible to cut down to 10%bf by the end of June? My daily calorie intake is currently at 1800.
>>
>>37208368

So 1 plate means being able to overhead press a total of 135?
>>
>>37208481
negro 1plate in each side of the bar+the bar
for bench 2 plates each side
etc
>>
>>37208481
and yes

4pl8 (180kg, ~405lb) Deadlift
3pl8 (140kg, ~315lb) Squat
2pl8 (100kg, ~225lb) Bench
1pl8 (60kg, ~135lb) Press
>>
>>37208514

So was I right? It's being able to OHP 135lb?

Or did you mean two 25lbs for a total of 95 lb?
>>
>>37208528
see >>37208521
>>
>>37208521

Deadlift scares me

It feels like I'm lifting with my back

Doesn't everyone say not to lift with your back?
>>
how long does it normally take to hit 1/2/3/4 if you start from 0 at 170lb BW and 6'1"?
>>
>>37208668

I'm with this guy, but I'm 5'7 and I'm 140lb.
>>
I usually wear running shoes when I work out, but I read that it's bad to do things like squats and deadlifts in shoes with lots of cushioning and padding because it can create imbalances. So I took off my shoes to do some squats and of course within seconds this nazi lady came up to me and said I have to wear shoes in the weight room. What are some good, not too expensive shoes I can get?
>>
>>37198847
I don't want to risk hair loss. Should I avoid creatine? I don't supplement right now with anything and I think I have something to gain from creatine if I start. I don't want to use it if it's supposed to cause significant, noticeable hair loss.
>>
>>37208736

You can't even wear socks? What's the reason behind the shoes always thing anyways?

Do you like Converse?
>>
File: 1463465419622.png (440 KB, 645x1260) Image search: [Google]
1463465419622.png
440 KB, 645x1260
Are lat pulldowns a good replacement for pullups?
I'm too fucking fat to pull myself up and too weak to do negatives until I lose maybe 20 more pounds
>>
>>37208866
Nah I had socks on and she said it was for safety reasons. Like I'm gonna fucking drop the weights on my foot like a noob.

I've never worn them but I could give them a shot.
>>
>>37208903
>Are lat pulldowns a good replacement for pullups?
they're not a replacement at all,but it is an exercise that can help you towards your first pullup if you follow absolutely strict fom.you should also train your abdominal muscles or you'll never manage to pull yourself up.
>>
I can see top 4 abs in all lighting, but they're not rock solid unless I flex and even then it's not really. My stomach jiggles a bit when I walk, so am I just lacking strength there still?

5'11 158 lbs
85 OHP
140 bench
160 squat
175 DL

Started doing squat/dl only about 2 months ago that's why they're so much worse. I'm shit at them too and always worried I'll fuck my shit up.

Will it get better in time?
>>
>>37208935
What ab exercises would you recommend? I heard crunches and situps are bad for your back or something
>>
>>37208904

My gym has a no shoes rule
I wonder what their reasoning is
>>
>>37208972
>What ab exercises would you recommend? I heard crunches and situps are bad for your back or something
as a person who was always good at pullups and i've also had a neck injury (in a streetfight) i can guarantee you crunches and situps are not bad for your neck or lower back if you do them correctly.point is most people dont use proper form and push their necks forward while they should be neutral.

What i recommend is doing 2 sets of planks at the end of your workout followed by a set of situps and a set of crunches.dont try to go for high reps,just keep a slow controlled motion,neutral neck,and dont use momentum. if you cant do situps without momentum keep to planks and crunches until you can.always breathe calmly and without forcing it but dont forget to exhale when you go up.
if you dont squat or deadlift you should also do back extensions for your lower back.
if you're strong enough to hang from a pullup bar you can do some hanging leg raises. bent knee leg raises will be easier for your since you're overweight.
good luck anon
>>
>>37209020
Thanks for the advice
I'll add planks, crunches, and bent knee raises to my workout
>>
File: image.jpg (146 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
146 KB, 640x960
Where can I find info on progressive overloading with dumbells and differences in training females compared to males?
>>
>>37198935
If you can do atg squats you re ahead of a lot of people already flexibility wise, ive been taking my roomie to the gym and he cant go below parallel without his heels coming off the floor.
>>
>>37209210
Jeez really? As I can barely get 6" away from my toes then I try to touch them, I never really considered myself flexible.
>>
I'm a fatass and losing weight. I have a question about loose skin. I'm afraid of it and the surgery for it will never be possible with my current job. So I was wondering is it inevitable that someone big then loses weight will have large amounts of loose skin? Does that skin ever go away naturally?
>>
would it be possible/safe to squat using something like pic related? I'm thinking you could set the bar down, duck down and move forward underneath it to pick it up, then duck down and move forward after the set to drop it.

Obviously not the most optimal set up, but would it be possible, at least, temporarily?
>>
Why do doctors make you put ice on an injury?

Inflammation is the body's natural healing process. The purpose of the ice is to reduce inflammation. Why would you want to reduce the body's natural healing process? If you can bear the pain, wouldn't you want it to be inflamed? Or is it one of those retarded things that the human body does excessively to the point of hurting itself, such as when the body runs and excessively high fever that can cause damage?
>>
>>37198935
SHOO SHOO, HUNGRY SKELLY

seriously though... a fucking mop handle?
>>
Why does greek yogurt feel so abrasive on the teeth and is it bad for your teeth?
>>
>>37209493
He didn't realize bodyweight squats were a thing. He went straight to (1 pound) weighted squats like the daredevil he is
>>
>>37208067
Bump
>>
>>37209405

It's not a guarantee, it's genetics, how fast you loose the weight, how fat you were

But no, it won't go away on its own
>>
>>37209493
Wanted to learn proper form and don't own an oly bar yet. Is that bad?
>>
>>37198935
>low bar
>ATG
Your form is probably not that great. Strict low bar form kind of prevents you from going actual ATG, regardless of flexibility. You'd more or less have to have too wide a stance and a weird caving in thing.
>>
>>37200111
>Calisthenics exercises work just as well as using weights
That's just flat out wrong.

The degree of variety, control, and granularity in actual free weights allows for better programming, which may not mean much to DYELs like yourself, but when you get past noob gains (for you, in 10-20 years), training complexity is a big deal.
>>
Does this no sugar thing mean no more oj?
>>
What's best weight losing exercise one can do with arthritis? I'm only 24 but i've had arthritis long as i can remember and it's only getting worse and i really want to lose weight to lessen the strain on my already shitty legs.

The pain is getting more and more intense as time goes on and i'm hoping if i can drop the weight i can put off being in a wheel chair by time i'm 40.
>>
What's the deal with milk. I read that it sucks because you intake a shit ton of estrogen but I really like mixing it with my protein powder and the protein content of that shake is ridiculously good. I'm not lactose tolerant but is it still not worth it?
>>
>>37199876
i just take 1.5 200 mg caffeine pills and 5 g of creatine gluconate mixed with water. Might add in some beta alanine
>>
>>37208903
When I wrestled I helped a 300 pound heavy weight do pullups, just get a friend to help you
>>
>>37199054
shichandra berries
according to poliquin
>>
>>37209607
>What's best weight losing exercise one can do with arthritis?
there one very effective one that is great especially for people with arthritis since it requires exerting zero stress on your body. It's called fork putdowns.
>>
>>37209666
hormones in milk is some liberal hippie bullshit. Your stomach does a wonderful job of digesting those hormones and making them useless. That being said, milk is a great source of protein. Drink whole or 1%. Drinking skim, you might as well just use water.

>>37209604
shouldn't even be drinking OJ in the first place anon.
>>
Should I even bother lifting if I'm going to stay natty?
>>
File: received_273197696356790.jpg (46 KB, 628x641) Image search: [Google]
received_273197696356790.jpg
46 KB, 628x641
I found that some people(usually the alpha guys and girls) think I'm weird. For some reason. I don't dress funny or draw attention to myself in weird ways. I sort of just do my own thing. I'd like to hang with them but I just get shunned. What are they picking up on that I'm doing wrong?
>>
I've never taken anabolics, why do I have backne and how do I stop it? Some time ago I read that taking cold showers helps reduce outbreaks, but it doesn't really seem to do much in my case.
>>
>>37208599
As long as it isn't rounded it's not bad and as long as your legs do most of the work.

Lifting with your back is like violent jerks which may or may not entail rounded back syndrome. With your legs completely out of the equation.
>>
>>37206646

Same anon here. Can someone tell me how this might have happened?
>>
>you will now think about this during your dips:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZPQdZLyHYE
>>
>>37210437
your autism. Tough titties m8

>>37210442
sometimes it's just your natural hormones. Look into acne remedies
>>
>>37210442
accutane bro, miracle drug
>>
>>37208668
A year at most. Doable in 6 months if you work hard enough.
>>
141lb 5'9.5

>inb4 manlet

i don't give a shit just tell me if i should cut or bulk, most of it's muscle i'm pretty sure
>>
>>37211883
Stats?
>>
is doing my usual 3x5 squats, bench dl and ohp good if I do them monday, tuesday and wednesday and focus on volume thursday and friday?

EG do SS after eachother and 2 fullbodies at the end of the week?
>>
>>37212058
alright give me a minute
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.