[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey /fit/, I've been lifting for 3 months now, and I have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: Bad-Postures.jpg (80 KB, 625x510) Image search: [Google]
Bad-Postures.jpg
80 KB, 625x510
hey /fit/, I've been lifting for 3 months now, and I have a slight kyphotic and lordotic posture due to sitting on my ass at a desk all day. To correct the muscular imbalance I've been doing stretches and also avoiding exercises that strengthen the tightened muscles that cause the issue, mainly the lower back, which means [spoiler]I haven't been deadlifting or squatting[/spoiler]. Should I continue to avoid these exercises until my posture is corrected or will I still correct my posture if I do these exercises and do the stretches as well?
>>
>bbcode
>4chan

No, you're just not meant to stretch those muscles, doing lifts that develop them is fine.

ATP and lordosis has shit all to do with muscle development, its about not stretching your ham string area so that the muscles tighten and pull your hips forward.
>>
>>34917939
>>bbcode
>>4chan
Hey newfriend! ;×

>>34917921
Muscle awareness and isometric stretches. You're likely to have a few odd adaptations to that posture (lots of people develop a fat pad in their upper back for example) that will over time go away too, so expect to see some results quickly but full results over a fairly long period of time

For muscle awareness either do high rep exercises like kettlebell swings or even walking with a book on your head. Book on head is also good biofeedback, as is just trying to correct posture with a mirror or camera or whatever you have you can see yourself with. Another thing is trying to consciously flex and move those muscles.

For the isometric stretches hold your head down and push against your arms, push against the back of a chair or wall and so on to help fully straighten that back.
>>
>>34917921
you are not doing the very exercises that will fix your posture? The fuck?
>>
>>34917939
>Blaming just the hamstrings on a total body posture deficit
>>
>>34917921
Deadlifts and squats works your posterior chain and strengthens all the muscles that are weak due to hunched over sitting by a desk. They are THE exercises that is going to fix your posture.
>>
>>34918366
If there's an issue with the erector spinae/ quadratus lumbora you can fuck shit up with deads. Better to do them with other rehab shit on top.
>>
the first thing you should do is learn to keep proper posture throughout the day, squeeze your glutes and pull your shoulders back. posture is way more proprioception than strength/tightness. after all, tightness is not a property of the muscle itself. tightness is your brain telling your muscle not to lengthen any further. you need to teach them the proper resting length again. having bad posture 247 for 10 years wont be fixed by stretching and doing some bullshit "corrective" exercises for 15 minutes a day.

>>34918375
not really, just because you didn't deadlift with correct form doesn't mean no one else should DL
>>
>>34918375
Aiight.. Maybe i shouldn't be giving advice.. I just assumed his postural issues was because of the usual stuff. Weak core, little activation and underdeveloped glutes and hamstrings and that other shit that goes along with that. For people who sit with a desk and get postural issues, squats and deads is like that magic fix.
>>
>>34918396
>just because you didn't deadlift with correct form
If there's an issue with the erector spinae firing, and it's fairly common with this kind of posture, you can have "correct form" but the quadratus still compensates for the weakness.

Assuming the guy starts with a light weight and does other rehab on top I don't think there'd be a problem, long term it's something to do for sure. Just dead lifting on its own is stupid, it's not a panacea
>>
>>34918403
It's not bad advice it just needs a little addendum imo
>>
>>34918410
>If there's an issue with the erector spinae firing, and it's fairly common with this kind of posture, you can have "correct form" but the quadratus still compensates for the weakness.
there's no such a thing as "not firing". if the quadratus compensates, the lifter has done a shitty valsalva. learn it correctly and there's no problem.
>>
how should I sleep?
flat on my back with a pillow for my head makes my upper back sore when falling alseep and my lower back ache when waking up... Sleeping on my side doesn't hurt anything, but it's also just letting my bad posture carry on sideways

no pillow? taller pillow? some additional pillow location?
>>
>>34918435
no pillow on the ground on your back

I had the same problem, but sleeping on the floor was a cure
>>
>>34918427
>there's no such a thing as "not firing"
Good thing I didn't write that then bb :)

You're cresting a problem by putting different words in my mouth, muscles absolutely can have issues firing tho. It's this neural aspect that in part will cause bad posture.

Valsalva doesn't enter into it really either. Being able to brace your core and hold a neutral spine (more or less) should come before using intra abdominal pressure.
>>
>>34918435
Pillow under knees, rotate your head pillow 90 degrees and have it go from between your shoulder blades and up to your head. You can also roll up a towel and put it just above your hips for your lumbar region.
>>
>>34918460
>muscles absolutely can have issues firing tho
no they cant unless you have nerve damage. not doing the movement correctly is not a firing issue.
>Valsalva doesn't enter into it really either
it does, anecdotal evidence tells that the QL going crazy is just about always the result of a bad valsalva
>Being able to brace your core and hold a neutral spine
this is a big part of valsalva.
>>
>>34918482
>no they cant unless you have nerve damage.
Explain to me why a beginners strength routine is so important without reference to neural adaptations.
>>
>>34918482
Also tell me what you think valsalva is because I think you don't know that either.
>>
>>34918491
has nothing to do with "firing issues"
>>34918500
valsalva is basically taking a big breath and tensing your trunk musculature
>>
>>34918522
>firing issues
100% does. You cannot efficiently recruit muscle fibres without training. This is not a result of nerve damage or other bullshit, it's the way we're built. This is also not pointing out that muscles spasms and other similar things exist.

And that is not a good explanation of valsalva, and I would guess you are doing it wrong. The one everyone seems to know is forcing a poo or fart out, same shit. Try that next time you lift after you brace your core. Valsalva is only held for a short time and can only help so much, it doesn't replace the support from your trunk muscles without intra abdominal pressure.
>>
>>34918551
who's talking about efficient? nothing is efficient in a novice. what you mean is the muscle is not strong enough, so stop talking about "firing".

you're saying the erectors are not strong enough so the quadratus do their job. i fail to see how that is inherently a bad thing, as deadlifting will make the erectors stronger and thus fix this. also, if the erectors aren't strong enough, the lower back will likely round as the QL isn't nearly as strong in back extension. so lower the weight until your back erectors can keep the back straight.

how the fuck is my explanation not good? how would shitting be any better a cue for me? i dont think my valsalva is that bad DLing 210 and ive sprained my QL before due to a shitty one. valsalva literally means contracting the trunk musculature so what the fuck are you talking about it not replacing the support?
>>
>>34918586
>the muscle is not strong enough
The muscle is strong enough. Nobody has 100% firing muscles ever, but a beginners routine predominantly trains greater muscle fibre recruitment and is almost purely neurological. This is like 101 why we recommend SS so I've just got to assume this is your first time here.

You don't understand because you don't know the role of the ql or how they can contribute to lower back problems. You can look this up yourself.

DLing 210 is not even babby weight. It might start to get impressive if you aren't an adult male and it's in kg for reps.
>>
>>34918631
>The muscle is strong enough
then why the fuck does the ql have to compensate for it? what happens, give me the exact neurological reason
>Nobody has 100% firing muscles ever
no shit, thats what i fucking said. but that's not the same as "firing issues" or otherwise everyone would have firing issues in their every fucking muscle.

you don't understand because you don't know the role of the erectors or how a proper valsalva can fix lower back problems. you can look this up yourself.

and yeah it's in kg,
>not even babby weight
yeah sure. id like to see someone dl that with their erectors having "firing issues".
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.