[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How long does it take to progress in dumbell weights for beginners?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: 1445646689031.jpg (1 MB, 1400x1299) Image search: [Google]
1445646689031.jpg
1 MB, 1400x1299
How long does it take to progress in dumbell weights for beginners? I started about 2 and half months ago at 12lbs and I'm inly now at 17.5lbs. Is this normal or am I taking longer than I should and doing something wrong?
>>
Well what is the heaviest weight you can use for 1 rep on each exercise?

Honestly it sounds like your progress is slow.

What is your routine and how often do you do it?
>>
>>34894698
I haven't tried lifting anything for a single rep, I usually do 3 sets of 10.
I do a full body routine 3 times a week, since I'm just starting
>>
File: 1441469151385.gif (2 MB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1441469151385.gif
2 MB, 250x250
>>34894803
If you want to lift more weight try doing heavier weights for 3 sets of 5-8 reps. You shouldn't be able to do any more reps at the end of each set for the weight you are using.

If you want to get big try 5 or 6 sets with 10-12 reps. Use a weight that you can't do a good rep anymore after each set till you rest for the next.

You need to push yourself and struggle each workout. Concentrate on contracting the muscles used in each exercise.

Also make sure you are eating enough calories, getting enough protein. Don't forget to work all the muscles and pack your shoulders.
>>
>>34894668
for most lifts you want to add 5-10lb every time you work out as a beginner
it's called linear progression.

obviously you can only do that so long (2-6 months) before you have to switch to a more advanced progression (known as progressive overloading)

also you suck at life. please kill yourself.
>>
>>34894668
The only exercise this may be acceptable progress is curls.
>>
>>34894874
Not that anon but I'm doing this routine https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html
It is any good or should I change something?
6 months in
manlet 5'8 160 lbs eating at maintenance
lifting with a pair of dumbbells (46 lbs each)
>>
>>34894927
38 lbs when I'm doing bicep curls and seated press
>>
>>34894668
This is slow. Make sure you're eating and sleeping well. Keep hydrated during and outside of work outs.
>>
you aren't doing a program are you. You just picked up some dumbells, you retarded shit. Beginners should never design their own routine.
>2 and half months ago at 12lbs and I'm only now at 17.5lbs.
>I do a full body routine 3 times a week,
nigga wha?
you should be adding 2.5libs to the dumbbell (1.25 each side) EACH DAY for at least 4-6 months.
>3 sets of 10
>full body
I bet you do like a dozen exercises everyday don't you. When you do a lot you only need one warm up set (50% weight) and one load set.
>>
>>34897171
>EACH DAY for at least 4-6 months
So in just a few months he will be curling 300+ lbs in each hand?
>>
File: roidgut.jpg (72 KB, 500x680) Image search: [Google]
roidgut.jpg
72 KB, 500x680
>>34897194
3 times a week=12 times a month~=36 increases in 3 months.
36*2.5=90 not 300.
also get on my level
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.