[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I took up kickboxing and had my first few sparring bouts today.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 8
File: sparring.jpg (93 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
sparring.jpg
93 KB, 1024x576
I took up kickboxing and had my first few sparring bouts today. They went easy on me but I got a few hits to my head and I'm wondering is it possible to get brain damage from this? After the class was over I felt a bit weird, like my consciousness was a bit foggy, nothing major but like after you have one beer. Not sure if it was because of the taps to the head or the rush of blood and adrenaline. We didn't spar with head protection, used 10 oz gloves and foot pads. It's been 5 hours and now I'm feeling more normal. I got a few mild punches to the nose and jaw and one kick to the jaw when I let my guard down. Should I wear headgear no matter what?
>>
>>36833980
Are you planning to be a heavy weight pro with 50+ fights? No? Then stop being a faggot
>>
>>36833980
Can you get brain damage from being punched and kicked in the head? Have you already been knocked retarded, or are you really just that stupid?
>>
>>36834001

No I'm not but I am planning to finish grad school. For that I have to preserve my brain, it's already bad enough as it is.

>>36834013

Well neither the punches nor the kicks were that hard. But maybe I'd be better off with some extra padding. I'd like to hear the opinion of someone who actually does kickboxing though. I really want to learn how to fight.

So which is it? Punches and kicks give you brain damage or being concerned about it makes you a faggot?
>>
>>36834039
Punches and kicks give you brain damage but if you're a white collar warrior who trains 3 days a week at 50% you don't have to be concerned about it.
>>
File: concussion-diagnosis.jpg (38 KB, 469x427) Image search: [Google]
concussion-diagnosis.jpg
38 KB, 469x427
CTE
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_traumatic_encephalopathy
>>
>>36834039
If you're that worried, get a face mask then. I mean no one will respect you for wearing it during light sparring but at least you'll look like a vagina.
>>
Consider bjj. If you want to know how to fight then having a stong foundation on the ground is a HUGE advantage. Also less head injuries in training.

Untrained vs trained in stand up, the untrained can still win with a lucky punch.

Untrained vs train on the ground is like stomping on a baby. You do what ever you want to them.

Not saying abandon stand up because bjj is op. Im saying if you want to fight, ground work is reaaaally helpful. Watch mma fighters and 90% will know ground game. The other 10% get turned into pretzels.

Also wear a helmet moron. Ayylmao baka desu senpai
>>
>>36833980
seriously? At one point in my high school wrestling team, there were ten kids out with concussions.
There isn't even any punching or kicking in wrestling.

If you don't want to become a brain dead vegetable, take care of yourself.
>>
>>36833980
Anon with 2 concussions here, still don't know where I am.
>>
File: 89714023_original[1].jpg (96 KB, 650x440) Image search: [Google]
89714023_original[1].jpg
96 KB, 650x440
>>36837108
>Untrained vs train on the ground is like stomping on a baby.
Fucking this oh my god

Buddy of mine who trained in bjj spent some time to show me some shit and he just rolled all over me and there was nothing I could do. I got out of one choke but would just end up rolling myself into another stronger choke.
>>
>>36833980
nah you wont get brain damage from just sparring. you might feel a bit dizzy if you get hit in the head a few times but you'll be fine.
>>
of course u get brain dmg. Have you ever wonder why there is not so much engineers or scientists practicing boxing or kickboxing in their free.time? well...
>>
>>36833980
Like the others have said, you're not going to get brain damage unless you're going balls out every time and make a long career out of it. If it's technical sparring you should be fine, just wear a mouth guard.
>>
>>36834039
/asp/ie here, from before it was wwe shit. Extra padding does nothing in terms of concussive damage. Small, repeated sub-concussive head trauma still causes a similar amount of brain damage. Sources on that though all look at football, rugby, not your average kickboxing. Learn head movement and how to block the shit coming towards your head, and take the extra body shots as payment. Don't compete, tell your coach and partners you'll take it easy. Who gives a shit about being a pussy?
>>
File: download.jpg (7 KB, 199x253) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7 KB, 199x253
>>36837900
Muay thai fag here, I second the head movement and taking body shots. Also train your traps and neck muscles to absorb more of the shock from the strikes. I get hit with nasty head kicks every other day of training, and I can honestly shrug it all off with no real harm done. Not the example to follow, but merely a suggestion.
>>
>>36837527
>well...

because they're fucking nerds and autisms like u
>>
File: 1442784093657.webm (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1442784093657.webm
1 MB, 1280x720
>>36837900
This. Biggest misconception is more padding = safer/less brain trauma. Not the case whatsoever. Taking the least amount of shots overall, as well as light as possible (10oz boxing gloves are good, I am an MMA guy so we use 6oz MMA training gloves) is the best for you. Otherwise if you do hard sparring rarely and have proper rest, recovery, nutrition as a healthy /fit/izen then you should be 99% fine.

And just so you know kicks to the head are FAR more capable of doing serious damage to your entire life. The leg is a much heavier, longer limb and proper technique makes them devastating. Go slow/to the body and with clean technique
>>
>>36833980

mma fighter died a few days ago after a fight:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/mma-governing-body-investigating-death-of-joao-carvalho-1.2607748
>>
>>36833980
kickboxer of 4 years here, currently in college and everything is fine lol

unless your trainers makes you go full-contact sparring every training you're not getting enough hit in the head to do serious brain damage

I understand the concern, if you look at the way some long-time/retired pro boxers speak, like Mike Tyson or the Klitschkos, which is pretty fucking sluggish, you don't really have to think twice about how it got this way

but those guys have been getting hit in the head by people with at least 20inch biceps for the past decade

the only thing that could cause you some damage is you being KOed in your training, which frankly shouldn't happen if your trainer isn't retarded
>>
>>36838603
forgot one thing

feeling dizzy might be from the cardio to be honest, if you overexert yourself you can get dizzy and kickboxing demands a different kind of endurance than running or swimming
>>
I'd say quit. Getting punched in the head always causes more or less trauma, rupture and inner bleeding in your brain. Nothing life-threatening, but it's damaging your brain. This theory is foreplayed in real life context too. All my old mates who took boxing as their sport became slightly dumb after several years. They have this empty look in their eyes and they are just generally a bit slow.
>>
Not OP but I have a boxing related question. Done weightlifting for a year now, and my muscles are to short and contracted making my jabs sluggish. I reckon this will get better with time and practice, but can I still go heavy on push/pull along with practicing speed by shadow and bagboxing, or is it one or the other?
>>
Why not just do cardio kickboxing? Putting yourself at risk head trauma sounds dumb if you're not planning on competing and just want to learn the techniques. Or just get into bjj as mentioned if you want to compete in a combat sport without risking brain damage.
>>
>>36833980
Boxing is one of the most dangerous sports for head injuries that exists, maybe the most dangerous. You are taking blows to the head constantly, and if you ever fight competitively you risk getting knocked out which is very, very bad for your brain. Kickboxing is like boxing but you can also get kicked in the head. Yes, you can absolutely get brain damage, and judging from your stupid fucking question you already have.
>>
>>36833980
Headgear is relatively affordable, why the actual fuck weren't you wearing any?

Most fighters don't go far enough to risk perm retardation, but I still can't feature why putting on headgear is a bad thing if you know you are about to spar

At my gym I saw a guy take a hit to the head and almost die because he had a damn blood clot in his brain he didn't know about, never trained again. Now he shouldn't have been training with that to begin with, but I'm still going to vote for putting on the right gear for the task at hand
>>
>>36837693
>>36837445
You will certainly get less brain damage from sparring than you would as a pro fighter, but repeated blows to the head are still repeated blows to the head.
>>
>>36838765
Because muh saiyan pride
Same reason rugby players don't wear cups
>>
>>36837527

OP here, I'm a scientist practicing kickboxing and I know a guy with a PhD in CS that does kickboxing so there goes that theory.
>>
>>36837527
Dolph Lundgren has a masters in molecular biology and was a full contact karate world champ. I think gsp has a post-grad science or engineering degree as does wladimir klitschko
>>
>>36838643
>>36838693
>>36838741

I'm assuming everyone who says "quit", "boxing causes brain damage just look at Mike Tyson" etc. has never actually practiced a martial art. Why even chime in then?

>Why not just do cardio kickboxing?

I want to learn how to defend myself and as I discovered, punching the air is completely different from being pitted against an opponent.
>>
It's somewhere in between. Repeated blows to the head do cause brain damage given enough times, and even amateur boxers have died in the ring in isolated incidents.

But if you just spar a bit during classes you'll most likely suffer no brain damage even over longer terms. Just make sure to get checked up if something doesn't go away like a constant headache.
>>
>>36838765
>why putting on headgear is a bad thing if you know you are about to spar
Because it increases the stress on the neck muscles by leverage. Also impaired vision, breathing and slower responses.
>>
>>36838652
Please respond
>>
>>36838652
You can do both, just make sure to stretch enough. You don't need short muscles to lift heavy it's just a side effect
>>
they just banned the headgear in amateur boxing competitions because they found it didn't protected against head trauma. not to mention it makes your head a bigger target and you eat more punches.

there's also research comparing the rate of head trauma between high school football programs that didn't incorporate neck strengthening and the ones that did. the ones that did showed had a lower incidence of head trauma.

so don't bother with the headgear for the purpose of head trauma prevention - you can still use it to avoid a black eye or bruises if that's a big concern. strengthen your neck. but most importantly is do mostly technical sparring at a low intensity and pick good training partners.

by the way, jiu jitsu allows you to go at a high intensity without any risk of injury and you can handle any untrained man up to 50lbs heavier than you. that's what i'd do if i was very concerned about head trauma, although it shouldn't be anything to worry about.
>>
>>36839272
klitschko is also a politician in a reasonably high position.
>>
>>36839527
Aside from torn acl, fucked shoulders, fucked elbows, broken toes and fingers and neck injuries. Can't forget concussions because 90% of bjj guys can't into clean take downs or ukemi.

Oh and cauliflower ears.

If you ignore all that then it's totally injury free
>>
>>36837108
>>36839527
I thought bjj was a meme ? Not OP but we were chatting about past sport injuries at the gym the other day and a bro got his shoulder dislocated in judo (arm lock), and passed out from a choke to wake up in an ambulance (didn't see it coming until too late). As far as I know judo is as safe as it gets so that made me question things. I can't imagine having your articulations manipulated in bjj doesn't end in injuries.
>>
>>36839578
you can list all the injuries that ever occurred in any sport and claim it's extremely unsafe. there's been deaths in soccer games, so i guess we can list that as a common injury in soccer, right? none of the things you listed is a common occurrence in jiu jitsu except for the cauliflower ear and for that they invented the ear guard.

>>36839601
how is it a meme? as in not effective in an one on one fight? because if that's what you mean, it's the most effective martial art for an unarmed one on one fight by far.

well, there's always the option to give up when you're deep in a joint lock or a choke. besides, in a good gym your training partner is also concerned with not hurting you.
>>
>>36839601
They're about the same but different injuries.

Basically it's all designed to fuck someone up. No matter what precautions you take if your training is worth shit you're getting injured at some point.

I got a concussion from osoto gari because my hand got tangled in the dude's gi so I couldn't ukemi.
>>
>>36839658
Literally everyone I know who has competed at a reasonable level (state+) in bjj has had a decently serious injury at some point
>>
File: gabe.jpg (363 KB, 3328x1872) Image search: [Google]
gabe.jpg
363 KB, 3328x1872
>>36839666
>I got a concussion from osoto gari because my hand got tangled in the dude's gi so I couldn't ukemi.
>>
>>36839658
>how is it a meme? as in not effective in an one on one fight? because if that's what you mean, it's the most effective martial art for an unarmed one on one fight by far.
>well, there's always the option to give up when you're deep in a joint lock or a choke. besides, in a good gym your training partner is also concerned with not hurting you.
>>36839601
Go to /asp if you wanna discuss it in detail, the very point is that you need two things to be an effective fighter:
grappling and striking.

Without grappling you will be hopeless if a bjj practicioner brings the fight to the ground.
Vice versa, if you're good at grappling a boxer will still be able to knock you out.

Another thing to consider before picking an art is that you cannot defend yourself against multiple attackers if all you can do is grappling: while you're trying to choke someone his friends gonna stomp you to pulp.
With striking you can parry and knock out multiple attackers (see the bunch of videos of real life fights online).
So no, there is no "ulitmate" style.
Also, wrestling helps too as it makes you much harder to be brought to the ground.
>>
>>36838652
Yea big guya tend to have flexed muscules all the time. Try to be more relax while punching. Train technique, not power. Focus on movement not speed. It will all come to You
>>
What are some good lifts in the gym that will help you with kickboxing? I'm thinking of doing leg raises, more ab work and more static stretching to help flexibility, kick height etc. I find the basic lifts, especially deadlifs and cleans to be kind of useless here.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.