[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why do we hate smith machines? what makes them so bad?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
why do we hate smith machines? what makes them so bad?
>>
They force a completely linear and unchangeable bar path on you which can lead to undue stress on joints/tendons and inefficient application of force.

Also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHBLxCPmnVc
>>
>>36815315
lmao that guy is hilarious
>>
File: 1459800564828.jpg (213 KB, 497x480) Image search: [Google]
1459800564828.jpg
213 KB, 497x480
>>36815260

According to Arnold Schwartzenegger, literally nothing.

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/athletes-and-celebrities/rise-machines-arnold-schwarzenegger-training-machines
> "So now I just do my presses on a Smith machine, which is safer on my shoulders because it’s on a track. But I have to say, it’s so fantastic to see the development of all of these machines. It allows you to train around your injuries— you don’t have to stop training because of injuries anymore. These machines allow you to isolate your muscles without the risk of hurting yourself."

http://xbodyconcepts.com/arnold-schwarzeneggers-squat-tips/
>"Switch to Smith If your lower back and/or knees bother you during barbell squatting, use a Smith machine instead. That’s what I did later in my career and it took a lot of stress of of those vulnerable areas. Hack squats are another alternative that I found effectively target the outer thigh muscles."

http://www.basskilleronline.com/arnold-schwarzenegger-squat.shtml
> "
I have reverted to using the vertical sliding Smith machine for my squats. This machine enables me to concentrate on my legs. I can place my feet forward of the vertical line of my body, and I can't fall back, like I would using a barbell."

So. LITERALLY NOTHING
>>
>>36816074
He's getting paid to say that stuff. No one talks like that. How autistic are you?
>>
>>36815260
Is this bait? That's not a smith machine.
>>
>>36815260
>referring to an entire board as "we"
stop this
That being said smith machines are just inherently worse squat racks
>>
>>36816106
You're right, you got me. A man who is already a multimillionaire many times over from his movie stardom, political marriage and former governorship has decided to make a little side scratch being a shill for Big Smith Machine. Busted
>>
>>36816074
>Arnold
>known to literally lie to people for monetary gain
Also, the myth that pressing in the smith machine is good for your shoulders is flat out misinformation, same with squatting.
Forcing the bar into a fixed linear path not only takes the load off of a bunch of ancillary muscles but more often than not encourages the absolute wrong pathway of the bar since no change in form directly effects bar path, its just fixed.
You need the barbell to be free and use your body to keep the bar path as straight as possible.
Without this key cue you are literally working less muscle mass, and deliberately neglecting form because the barbell path is kept straight for you.
>>
>>36816074
Also, I suggest you get your weightlifting info from more accredited sources than Arnold
>>36816145
Money does not equate to bio-mechanical knowledge and neither does bodybuilding success. There are a wealth of large, successful bodybuilders that peddle broscience and misinformation
>>
>>36816074
>isolate your muscles without risk of hurting yourself

That's something all isolation exercises share, but a lot of us don't want to isolate muscles, and doing so will not allow you to push as much weight as you otherwise could. I'm not saying there isn't a place for machines such as this for the old and the injured, but for most of us on this board(teens to 20-somethings) they aren't optimal.
>>
>>36816145
Yeah, wow, is this bait? Are you aware of the concept of celebrity endorsements? Making a little side scratch is exactly what he's doing these days, guy. Google "Mobile Strike."
>>
Home gym with smith machine. Zero chances of dropping a weight on myself or anyone in my family in there. Workouts go just fine.
>>
>>36816145
lel idiot
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.