[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Upper Back Exercises for Front Squat
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: jvUl9Uk[1].jpg (95 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
jvUl9Uk[1].jpg
95 KB, 640x640
I like to do my front squats for legs. Well, my back gives out way before my legs.

I read Iso-holds are good to get more upper back strength to stay upright. Are there any more exercises I can do in addition to these?
>>
>>36792213

I train strongman exercises, and those things pound the fuck out of your upper back. Some thoughts:

1. Zercher squats (a.k.a. low-bar front squats) - the more volume the better
2. anteriorly loaded odd-object carries (sandbags, kegs, etc)
3. Round-backed lifts (sandbags and stones), doubly so if the object is then pressed above
4. Log clean and press - though this may not be tenable if you don't have access to a log
5. hand-over-hand rope pulls of tires, sleds, etc.
6. heavy farmer's carries
7. yoke carries of any sort: on the back, zercher/conan style or the dreaded overhead yoke carry

Good luck
>>
kroc rows
>>
>>36792213
Paused Front Squats
>pause in the bottom
Mid way pause Front Squats
>pause in your sticking point or where you would drop the bar due to back weakness
Constant Tension Front Squats
>don't lock out the squat and do reps in the area where you are the weakest

Do all of these for volume ~6 weeks.
I did (had the same issue)

Week 1-3
4x6 (pause)
6x6 (constant tensions)

Week 4-6
6x4 (pause)
5x5 (constant tensions)

Then I removed the constant tensions and added normal front squats

Week 7-8
4x3 (paused)
5x3 (normal Fsquat)

Week 9 I removed the mid way pause squats and went down to

2x2 (pause)
3x2 (normal)

Deload/PR
>>
>>36792704
kroc row is a fucking meme exercise for neckbeards
>>
Have a question. Did front squats today for what could be called the first time, 37kg, at the end of my session, so just 3x5. When I went completely A2G, my abs didn't do as much work as if I stopped a few degrees below A2G. Is it because when I get to A2G my legs lose tightness and I bend forward and lose tightness as well? Or is it that when I go completely down, my abs don't have to work so much because they don't have to stop the descending weight before it reaches the 'dead point' on the bottom?

>>36792213
pull-ups
dl
row
back extension aka lying superman
>>
Good thread, I have this same problem, I start tipping forwards when coming up
>>
>>36793282
poor flexibility means you cant engage muscles properly
>>
>>36792687
My fucking nigga

>>36792213
Would also add more front squats or SSB squats. Best way to improve at something is usually to do it more.
>>
>>36794141
But the only time I don't feel my abs much when front squatting is when I go almost literally A2G. At that time my calves and my hamstrings basically press against each other, which, obviously, means loss of tightness in legs.
When I stop maybe 5-10% of the ROM sooner, it's allright - chest up, abs engaged, legs tight, butt feels good.
>>
>>36792213
Pull ups, static holds at starting position, t rows. Your back may be giving out because your core isn't tight. You need a strong back to stay upright but also a strong core to keep you in that position. I would also consider some core work
>>
>>36793282
why the fuck are you giving advice when you never even front squat 2 plate fucking retard

not that 2 plate fs is impressive but you're so fucking weak you shouldn't be giving advice retards
>>
what i find works best is paused front squats, just stay down there for a solid 5-10 seconds depending on what you can handle for 3 sets of 5 at 120kg and you should be able to stay tight easily.
Also, you won't turtleback if you hold the bar properly rather than only wrapping 2 fingers around it
>>
>>36792213
I have a 335 front squat and I contribute most of it to doing upper back exercises. This includes facepulls, "I,T,W,Y's" reverse flyes, and really any other pulling motion. A strong back is going to correlate to a strong squat. I'd spend more time working in accessory lifts than doing paused reps but that is only because it worked better for me
>>
>>36794175

Hands free SSB squats will absolutely trash your T-spine and abs. It definitely will give you significant carryover to your front squat.

It's also fun to turn the SSB around backwards and front squat with it. You can't do this one hands free, but it will be great to help train you to maintain your T-spine position.
>>
>>36792213
is he legit frontsquatting fucking 7 plaet?
>>
I foam roll my upperback, lats, pecs, and THEN do facepulls on top of all my other back work.

I've found that loosening the muscles of my lats and pecs have allowed more ROM so i can resist my somewhat kyphotic back posture, get in a better position, and have more strength.
>>
>>36796493
No, he has a belt and knee sleeves. He's cheating.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.