[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Started this fat cunts program 3 months ago (specifically 5-3-1
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2
File: Jim-Wendler-5-3-1-Workout.gif (26 KB, 300x175) Image search: [Google]
Jim-Wendler-5-3-1-Workout.gif
26 KB, 300x175
Started this fat cunts program 3 months ago (specifically 5-3-1 BBB) and my fucking lord has it opened my eyes to how much of a pussy ass routine PPLxPPL is. Can't believe it took me nearly 4 years lifting to finally try 5-3-1. Wish I had started much earlier.

You don't need to buy his book, you can just search the net on a basic 5-3-1 BBB routine (shit I'll ever post you one) I highly recommend this for anyone that's passed novice stage of running full-bodies and is currently running a 5 day body part split or PPLxPPL and not really enjoying the routine or seeing much results/spinning wheels. I am extremely confident that the vast majority of you who try 5-3-1 BBB will fall in love with it. I am only posting here because I wish someone had done the same for me earlier.

Note that this is not me saying it's the best routine, all I am saying is for me personally it's by far easily the best routine I have ever tried in the last 4+ years of my lifting, and I've done literally EVERY fucking mainstream routine.
>>
>>36788632
I'm doing it too and I'm enjoying it. Trying to set a PR on your main lift each day is fun. I feel stronger on bench too, the amount of reps, both in the last set and 5x10 really seems to help in my case. I feel stronger than when I was doing 3x5 progression.
If you're still not super strong like me and want faster progression, you don't have to deload every 4 weeks. I do two training cycles before each deload, but you can do whatever you want.

Also the first couple of weeks of 5x10 squats when you haven't done anything like it before is hell. Especially if you have garbage cardio like me.
>>
>>36788632

You were doing something weird if your other routines are pussy shit compared to 5/3/1.

I like 5/3/1. Its a solid setup. But its a relatively easy routine in terms of intensity and volume - largely because it tends to assume you're doing other stuff as well and/or are as strong and beat to shit as Wendler.
>>
>>36788632

Jim pls go.
>>
>>36788698
Habe you read about joker sets? You basically try to keep adding weight and hitting 5 (or 3 or 1 rep depending on the week) after your heaviest main lift. Makes it even more fun and harder, for me especially during 3+ week on deadlifts.
Sadly my knee is busted and I can't do squats without pain anymore.... :(
>>
>>36788722
I don't think OP is dying one of them, but some of the challenges in the book are pretty brutal. 20 reps on first set last for example.
>>
Anybody looked at or done the juggernaut method? It has some similarities to 531 but the volume is higher and the intensity isn't so high immediately. Another nice thing is that every third week the amraps are used to calculate your training Max, I found 531 way too slow on progression.
>>
>>36788764

Tried it. Kind of worked, but I think that for a lot of people the intensity starts out too low and as a result a lot of that volume is kind of wasted.

Less of an issue if you're seriously strong.
>>
>>36788632
Are you supposed to do your 1RM every time at the last set?
>>
>>36788764
Did it with two bench days as a bodybuilding/hypetrophy block. Worked well enough. I did like the progression scheme CWS lays out too.
>>
File: Untitled.png (31 KB, 800x534) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
31 KB, 800x534
I like 5/3/1. But i think the juggernaut method is even better
>>
>>36788764
>I found 531 way too slow on progression.
You can try to improve your calculated training max every week in 5/3/1, I did this for a while when I started using the routine. If you only deload every second cycle and choose a high volume accessory routine the progress/intensity will never be too little. Even less if you start doing joker sets.
>>
>>36788764
>>36788824
I just basically combine a BB routine with the juggernaut method.

OHP/Bench Day:
- OHP or Bench according to the Juggernaut method
- Cable Row / Lat pulldown / BB Row
- Light OHP or Bench (So on the day I went heavy on the OHP is do the Bench and vice versa)
- 2 Shoulder / Chest exercises
- 2 Tricep exercises

Deadlift Day:
- Deadlift according to Juggernaut method
- Bicep curl
- Front Squat
- Hyper extension
- Abs (ab roller with weights or planking with weights)
- Obliques (Cable side bents on a elevated platform)

Squat Day:
- Squat (I had problems with my knees so couldnt squat for 1,5 years so im just on 5x5 for now.
- Bicep curl
- Romanian Deadlift
- Leg Press / Leg extension
- Abs (ab roller with weights or planking with weights)
- Obliques (Cable side bents on a elevated platform)
>>
>>36788771
My gf found that the intensity was too low on the higher volume phases. We just started a new cycle and for her first session she did 5x10 at 70% rather than 60% and she found it better.

I know it isn't following the %'s as written but if you have a good idea of what you can handle it's easy enough to adjust and for girls they just seem really good with volume from what I've seen.
>>
>>36788960

Girls in general tend to use higher volumes at the same intensity. I don't entirely understand it, but apparently its kind of the same reason that beginners can tolerate more work (and get more reps) at a given percentage than more advanced lifters and crosses over with how lightweights can generally handle a greater workload than heavier competitors at the same level.
>>
>>36788878
I'm doing something similar. I'm doing 531 bench Monday, tjm squats Tuesday, TJM bench Wednesday, TJM deadlifts Thursday. Each day has a bunch of extra bodybuilding work to help support the main lifts and overall development and a 5th day for extra frequency for lacking bodyparts.

The 531 bench is because my bench is my worst lift by a long way and want to do it more often, I've also been taught better technique so its more practice. I add in 3x8 squats on deadlift day and 3x8 deadlifts when I squat just to make sure I'm doing the movments more often really, I'm a powerlifter so makes sense to do the big 3 often.
>>
>>36788960
females can (and should) usually work closer to their 1RM than men according to PP/Rip
>>
>>36788992
I had the same thing with my bench. My bench and OHP were really lacking comparing with my DL and squat. What really helped me is the light bench/ohp. Plus a fuckload of instructional videos. Of course all is correlated with each other.
>>
>>36788632
i'm on the third cycle of 5/3/1 BBB and i'm making stupid fucking gains, both on the strength and the hypertrophy department, squatting just once a week feels super weird, but a good kind of weird
>>
>>36789476
I'm doing 5/3/1 BBB without deadlifting at all. I have 2 squat days instead.

Tuesday session is 5/3/1 back squats + 5x10 front squats.

Friday session is 5/3/1 front squats + 5x10 back squats.
>>
>>36789501
>No deads
Why anon?
I fucking love deadlifts, except the 5x10 sets, those fucking suck
>>
What does 5/3/1 stand for

Five reps, then three reps then one rep every day or week or what?
>>
>>36789526
3x5 on first week
3x3 on second week
1x5,1x3,1x1 on third week
light 3x5 on fourth week (deload week)
>>
>>36789526
blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator
>>
>>36789519
Training specificity for the sport I play.

The only type of deadlifting I do is Stiff-Leg Deadlifts, high volume. I don't pull conventional. My sport has big focus on backsquats & front squats.
>>
Jim is based as fuck. On my last week of the Iron Monolith program thing. Shit's great, hitting 1/2/3/4. Finally started doing weighted chinups too.
>>
>>36788632
Jim pls go
>>
>>36789519
I do 5x5 pause DL with 1.5 minute rest instead of 5x10.
>>
>>36788878
Rest days?
>>
So many intermediates wasting time with this monthly progression routine...

Enjoy your turtle speed gains, anons.
>>
>>36793291
this.

5/3/1 is for weakling redditfags who think they've exhausted all noob gains after they hit a 200lb squat.
>>
>>36789476
Are you me? I feel like I'm on drugs, I can literally see the growth in the mirror after only 3 cycles.

I've never been so fucking hungry in my life either, it's all consuming
>>
>>36793738
I switched to it when my highbar atg squat was lmao3plaet faggot
>>
>>36793291
>>36793738

Better to accept your weakness than being permastalled doing TM
>>
>>36788698
what are your lifts?
>>
>>36794019
125x3 dl
110x3 squat
80x4 bench
48x2 ohp

I weigh ~73kg, 5'7 manlet. Most people are probably stronger than this when they switch to the program, but I don't mind. I'm enjoying myself in the gym more than before, and I'm not in a hurry.
>>
>>36788632
love 531, started it after i stalled on linear noob gains. i use the wendler 531 app because i dont math
>>
>>36793920
lel. I just hit that on weekly progression, and I don't plan on the gains stopping any time soon.
>>
>>36794009
or you could seriously reassess whats making you so week and fix that instead.
>>
>>36794954
The app is absolutely based. You pay the extra for the full one? Them joker sets are worth it
>>
>>36789551
What do you play? I can only imagine deadlifting has some sort of carryover
>>
>>36795244
yeah i got the pro app, im willing to dish out $5 to not have to math anything, plus the BBB and joker set options are well worth it. 5x10 squats at the end of your workout are brutally amazing.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.