[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MuscleMemory
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: arnold.jpg (58 KB, 560x383) Image search: [Google]
arnold.jpg
58 KB, 560x383
Muscle Memory; apparently it's not broscience from what I've read. Now, what I have problems with is figuring out how long it lasts.

I've read that muscle memory last anywhere from 3 years to forever. I've even seen anecdotal evidence of people getting back into shape after many years of layoff.

What does /fit/ think about Muscle Memory? Perhaps anyone has any experiences with it after a not working out for a while?

I used to be in decent shape back in hs, lifted 110kg 5x5 bp, about 180kg 5x5 or so squat (can't remember exact number), etc. Now I'm back after 6-7 years of not working out and I'm weak as fuck. Would be nice if muscle memory was still in effect and I didn't have to do it the hard and slow way.
>>
I'll try to explain this as easily as possible.

Basically, when your muscles grow, your muscle cells expand in size. Once you stop lifting, they remain in this state for a while before they begin to shrink. However, since they have been in an enlarged state, they are stretched.

Imagine a fat dude losing all his weight. He is left with loose skin, since it has been expanded before from the inside. It would be easier for him to get fat again, since his skin is stretched already. There is no need for the cells to adapt and grow if he gains weight again.

The same goes for muscle cells. However, the longer you wait, the more time you leave them to regenerate.

I injured myself doing deadlifts and had to stop lifting for 6 months. Overconfidence and neglecting form will do this to you. So, once I started lifting again, I got bigger faster than before. Just an anecdote.
>>
>>36629935
It's not what you did, but how long it lasted.

Old-time wrestlers, born in the 20s and 30s will advance like fucking crazy when introduced to lifting in their 80s.

Guys who lifted a few years, went on a break longer than they lifted and then lift again, won't get shit.

'Muscle memory' is the broscience way of saying 'large number of nuclei in your muscle cells left over from sattelite cells merging to repair damaged muscle'
If you were physically active for 15-20 years, you'll get a lot faster muscle protein synthesis, since you have a lot more nuclei to send out mRNA.

If you lifted for 3 years and got to a good squat and an OK bench press you propably didn't accumulate enough nuclei to matter.
>>
File: 1393503304822.jpg (75 KB, 460x639) Image search: [Google]
1393503304822.jpg
75 KB, 460x639
>>36630016
Also, this guy is so full of shit, he sounds like a HAES or Vegan dipshit, only he speaks pure bro.

And he injured himself doing deadlift. Who the fuck does that?
>>
OP here. From what I've read the nuclei remains even though the muscles shrink. But what confuses me is how long they remain.

One study suggested 3 years max, another forever. I saw some thread on bb with some guy who lifted in his 20s, and then got back into it in his 40s or 50s or whatever it was, and he got really big fast and said it was because of muscle memory, although he did look a bit roided, so I am not too sure if to trust or not.
>>
>>36630153
How about you just don't stop lifting.
>>
File: Muscle memory Myonuclei-Article1.png (114 KB, 1226x3069) Image search: [Google]
Muscle memory Myonuclei-Article1.png
114 KB, 1226x3069
>>36629935
Here's a theory
>>
>>36630175
If I had a time machine, that would be a great thing. But sadly, I don't.

I stopped because I injured myself (not because of lifting, outside of the gym), and got lazy, and as a result didn't start back up.

I don't plan on stopping this time, as I don't want to be a DYEL fagget.
>>
>>36629935
Why don't you tell us in a month, OP?
>>
>>36630194
I will make sure to make a thread if I make sick progress in a month. So far (just been to the gym twice, just started) I've barely made any strength gains at all. I don't expect that much after 2 sessions though. I may be retarded, but not that retarded.
>>
>>36630185
Thanks for the image. A really nice breakdown of the process. Will try to get ahold on some eBooks on the subject to acquire some more knowledge on the subject.
>>
I'm not sure the correct term for what you're talking about is muscle memory.

Muscle memory is when you are intuitively aware of how to complete an action and can do it instinctively. Like a boxer fighting while standing unconscious. It's based on the principle that nerve cells that fire together form stronger bonds with each other over time.

It seems you're talking about losing strength gains, or atrophy.
>>
>>36630676
Well, "muscle memory" is usually used to describe both phenomena. Something can have multiple meanings.
>>
>>36630836
Yes, but usually the more popular term prevails
>>
>>36630932
Not him, but both are used.
>>
>>36629935
Only reason I agree with muslce memory is because of super strong old guys. You know those skinny fukin old guys who if he went to the gym he could somehow bench 2 plates each side even though hes been retired and couch potatoe'ing for the past 5 years? Or helps you move the 400 pound table and doesnt even break a sweat. That has to be muscle memory, their muscles arent even big but somehow they seem to remember how to be strong from all the years before.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.