[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Volunteer firefighter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3
File: 1446018066305.jpg (84 KB, 537x859) Image search: [Google]
1446018066305.jpg
84 KB, 537x859
My local town is looking for volunteer firefighters, and this is something I very much want to do. I'm 6'5 and large, I want to give back to my community and be of service to others.

What kind of fitness requirements do you think they will require for me to be available, and how hard would it be to get there? I'm wanting to start training very soon. I'm strongfat right now but I do a lot of physical work for a living, 5 days a week, 4.5 to 5 hours a day of boxes, running, jumping, climbing and moving stuff in non-infinite time frames. I'm the best in my area at the moment. Cardiowise, I think I'm probably close.

Thanks.

Unrelated: I have a good mindset for this position. I approach things very tactically.
>>
>>36468587
The physical requirements will depend on the department. Generally speaking, volunteer departments barely have physical standards aside from the bare bones medical stuff required to do the job. It's hard enough to find volunteers who will show up to calls/training, let alone ones who are actually in shape. I've seen volunteers who are pretty much walking heart attacks, so if you're in any kind of shape I'm sure you'd be fine.

Career departments will put you through the grinder during training but once you're out on the line it's pretty much up to you to keep it up.
>>
File: 1444074094362.png (3 KB, 429x410) Image search: [Google]
1444074094362.png
3 KB, 429x410
>>36468689
So I should apply right now and specify that I'm willing to work hard?

I know I'm being a semantic semi-lazy asshole, but do you have some kind of source you can link me to?

Thanks a lot in advance. I appreciate it :)
>>
>>36468736
Most of my advice is gonna be irrelevant to you if you're outside the US because I don't know how things go overseas, but here you go...

It never hurts to throw an application in. Their main concern is going to be getting you through the required training classes so that you can go interior on structure fires. Do you have any fire training already? A lot of departments will help train you, so there is that. Walk in and apply. They'd probably love to have you.

As far as fitness goes: If you intend to get into the fire service, PLEASE stay in shape. You don't have to be Rambo, but just don't become a fat shit. The nasty shit in smoke will raise your heart attack risk enough without you being fat. If you're 6'5" and have some athleticism, you would be a hell of an asset on the fireground as long as you know what you're doing. The city I work in has way too many guys who get winded climbing one flight of stairs. It's a physical job... Always work to exceed whatever physical requirements your department has for the sake of your own health (and the guys riding with you.)
>>
>>36468736
I don't have any sources to link because it varies too much between departments. The department you're looking at may have a website but it's probably pretty shitty. Best way to get info about what they want is to walk in and ask. They won't mind talking to you... They'd probably be happy to help you out.
>>
File: 1437349511216s.jpg (7 KB, 250x214) Image search: [Google]
1437349511216s.jpg
7 KB, 250x214
>>36468839
I'm in the US. I work nighttime so I'm up (and not at my job) right now.

I don't get winded climbing one flight, I don't even get winded from sprinting up a 4.5 to 5 meter tall ladder.

I agree, yes, being in shape is important. For others as well as me.

>>36468879
>>36468839
Thanks a lot for the help! I appreciate it.

Yes, the site is pretty shitty at the moment.

Pic related, is funny. Saved from /fit/ a while back.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.