[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey fit, I'm trying to learn how to lift weights, and I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 9
Hey fit, I'm trying to learn how to lift weights, and I don't want to do it on my own for fear of injury. I want somebody to tell me if my form is off.

Anyway, I'm a huge fatso loser and I want to NOT be a huge fatso loser, so I did some research into gyms around me. Frankly, they all seem like a complete rip off, and none of them have a simple focus on free weights and Starting Strength style exercises.

So how do I get started? Is there a specific type of gym I should be searching for? I just want to go to a gym with a bunch of free weights, and have somebody teach me how to lift them.

My current stats:

273 pounds, 5'11, 29 years old

I once lost a bunch of weight and got down to 170, but I looked like shit (still a ton of fat on my body, but yet I was skinny looking... disgusting). I want to do it again but do it right this time.
>>
29 is far too old

i am 32 and barely have the energy to push myself any longer. i still go to the gym frequently, however, i make very slow (if any) gains

we will not make it

unless you get roids

but even then, youre still old as fuck

mabe you still have a little bit of time to get rid of the fat, but you will never get ripped at your age natty
>>
File: JWRdJ4D[1].jpg (1 MB, 2360x3423) Image search: [Google]
JWRdJ4D[1].jpg
1 MB, 2360x3423
>>36234463
Dude get out of here with that disparaging bullshit. It's never too late to get your shit together.
>>
You probably won't find many gyms that focus only on free weights unless you find an powerlifting gym or something similar. The chain gyms are fine provided they have power racks/cages and don't care about loud noises. Most pt's don't know shit and will probably point you in the wrong direction. Go to /plg/ and look at the videos that they post.

Art of manliness has some videos with rip that go into really good detail with form regarding the big 3 lifts.

Make sure you get your protein intake right as that will make a big difference when it comes to "gains"
>>
>>36234480
no it isnt

lifting past 15 natty is futile

that is not a typo
>>
File: y8f2kPf[1].jpg (209 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
y8f2kPf[1].jpg
209 KB, 960x1280
>>36234486
That's nice that you believe that. Guess what? I'm going to try anyway because anything is better than being a fat blob.

Now get out of here and get on an SSRI you depressing cuck.
>>
>>36234428
before anything start with the diet. Lose 20-30 lbs first and begin a mile to a couple a day walks. Move into jogging to every other lamp post or biking.

Don't move straight into lifting. You'll fail. Eat less first and start slow.

ALSO FUCKING STICKY.
>>
>>36234537
i was only prtendingingit to be retarded, haha you feel for it
>>
>>36234463
30s are prime time faggot. There must be something wrong with you.
>>
>>36234463
Fuck off you stupid fat loser, don't push your shitty attitude and defeated pathetic soul onto other people.

OP if you're fat already you should try and incorporate more cardio into your routine to lose some of that body fat first. Then when you're around 20%~ or so you should get heavily into lifting.
>>
>>36234592
>>36234601
old dying men detected

you won't make it, give up already and spend more time with your mother

lifting past 12 is worthless
>>
File: IUhDCem[1].jpg (73 KB, 1024x898) Image search: [Google]
IUhDCem[1].jpg
73 KB, 1024x898
>>36234601
I lost weight without weight training the first go and looked like garbage. I don't see why I can't start right away.

Could you explain a little?

I mean I'm not going to throw myself at weights and call it a day. I want to do everything and get started on a life style change. I'm not planning on going crazy.
>>
>>36234428
>>36234463
STEROIDS

guys do not fall for the natty meme.

get on a cicle of test.

i do not say it for the muscles, but for the mind.

it will give you energy, it will make you want to work out, it will turn your life around.

you can stop after 2 cycles, go natty afterwards
>>
>>36234463
Don't listen to any of these fucks. They are all 20 year olds who think your body stops working at 25.

A real answer is find a gym that has a rack. Most anytime fitness places are cheap and have a few.

Do your research, start with an empty bar and then go to one of the reddit subs that take form checks and post the videos for feedback.
>>
>>36234463
>>36234638
Fuck off and kys already.
>>
>>36234626
I lost weight by almost exclusively weight training, high protein, calorie deficit.

I look bretty gud. Just started doing cardio to finish off the last bit of fat (love handles. Stomach.)

Im 5'10" went from 211 to 175 now. Not strong but not a pussy - Max bench 225, decent shoulder press, can dip for days, strict pullups for days, etc.
>>
File: AHAHAHA FAGGOT.png (385 KB, 368x447) Image search: [Google]
AHAHAHA FAGGOT.png
385 KB, 368x447
>>36234658
>>36234674
>>36234601
>>36234592
>>36234537
u fell four it ehehehe

please upvote
>>
>>36234706
Lel nice. How do u upvote on here
>>
File: FqyYu.jpg (25 KB, 435x315) Image search: [Google]
FqyYu.jpg
25 KB, 435x315
>>36234626
What do you mean when you say you looked like garbage?

I just mean you should do maybe 15 or so minutes of cardio instead of like 5 (which is what most people on weights would do). Try doing HIIT, it's a good way to lose weight. But don't go overhead because you could fuck up your joints - considering you're a bit overweight and slightly older.

I'm just saying you need to get down to a reasonable body fat percentage before purely lifting weights, otherwise it'll be an incredibly amount of stress on your body so early on.

Don't sit there planning it for ages, just do it. The problem with the way people think is they feel if they plan something then they've already accomplished it. The hardest part is starting so just get out there and achieve the better you.
>>
>>36234463
I started after 30 and made it to 1/2/3/4 in a year. I'm around 18% bf right now and I could cut down easily but I don't need a 6 pack to impress girls.

Don't listen to this guy op. If you want to make it you will
>>
>>36234750
dont listen to this guy op it's just another old guy (15 and up) trying to make himself feel better about being old. there is no hope past 8 years old

>>36234726
use the report button
>>
File: Q0ol-Ylx.jpg (12 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Q0ol-Ylx.jpg
12 KB, 250x250
>>36234486
>lifting past puberty
shiggy diggy doo
>>
File: w3rXklf[1].jpg (253 KB, 858x1200) Image search: [Google]
w3rXklf[1].jpg
253 KB, 858x1200
>>36234731
I was skinny fat. Lots of fat on a weak frame. I was at my goal weight, but didn't look good.

I want to start lifting weights as well as do cardio and eat right, but maybe your right about stress.

Best thing I can do is talk to a doctor I suppose.
>>
>>36234428
S-source?
>>
>>36235213
No idea, sorry.
>>
File: 1452485698292.jpg (464 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
1452485698292.jpg
464 KB, 1200x1600
>>36234428

She looks latina. Why do latinas have the best feet? I seriously want them in my mouth. Fuck what is wrong with me.
>>
>>36234428
Look up form videos online. When you lift in the gym start with just the bar and examine yourself in the mirror, make sure you've got the move down. If you really want a critique ask someone who looks like they lift, and maybe ask them for tips. Until you build a strength base use full range of motion.

Make sure you stick to your weight loss too.
>>
>>36234428
Your body is literally mine +65 pounds. I'm in the same situation as well, want to get into lifting (Been doing strength exercises with some old barbells I got a hold of for a few weeks and I've found I'm enjoying it way more than I did when I was younger for whatever reason). But keep on bro. I've been dieting and riding a bike for the past two months and lost 25 pounds.

But at least you have gym options. I have a Koko, a 45 minutes away Golds and an Anytime fitness that has the balls to charge $50 a month.
>>
>>36234428
i wanna lick that bitches foot, starting from her toes all the way up to her asshole
>>
With a decent power cage and instructional videos it should be more or less reasonable to learn lifting even with nobody helping and not hurting yourself, no?
>>
>>36234428
fug
>>
>I want to NOT be a huge fatso loser

you can start by teaching yourself how to lift weights
>>
>>36236219
How though? That was the point of this thread.
>>
>>36234463
You probably already were a whiny bitch when you were young.
>29 far too old
top fucking kek. OP won't make progress as fast as a twenty year old, but he'll make progress. Being that fat, pounds are going to drop off with even minimal consistency in the gym and with the diet.

>i am 32 and barely have the energy to push
myself any longer.
My 70 year old dad would laugh at your sorry ass, before going out to work in the garden for the whole day.

>mabe you still have a little bit of time to get rid of the fat, but you will never get ripped at your age natty.
He won't become Zyzz so he shouldn't even try? Just throw in the towel, sit down and wait for death, because you already reached the venerable age of three decades? Bitch, please.Whatever he does will make him look better and improve his health, the sooner he starts the better.
>>
>>36234428

Diet is key OP. All the exercise in the world won't help you if you don't get your diet under control.
>>
>>36234428
Read the sticky newfag manlet
>>
>>36234428
If you want it enough bro you can fucking do it. Consistency in the gym and kitchen.
Skin shrinks, stretch marks lessen.
me 260-200 6'5
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.