[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New to this shit /fit/ I'm getting fucking discouraged,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 2
File: 1455199328545.jpg (352 KB, 2491x1663) Image search: [Google]
1455199328545.jpg
352 KB, 2491x1663
New to this shit /fit/

I'm getting fucking discouraged, been about a month and I have no way of knowing whether or not I'm doing things right. I'm following routines I find online or going with friends, I'm also checking my weight twice daily and trying to eat better but there's more or less no difference.

Am I doing something wrong or what.
>>
I just like to tell you right here that what you think is naturally achievable from all the shit you've seen or heard regarding fitness is 100% lies.

You want to look like those guys that motivated you that you see on YouTube and Instagram? It's all a facade. Shit, even in here most are lying.

My advice is to leave this place, stop looking at all fitness related information, get back into the gym and train. You will come to understand all of this in due time.
>>
>>36163565
this is like telling someone to go into a science lab and mess around with shit and you will start to understand the most complex theories in chemistry. Thats not going to happen.
Learn theory first, apply it in lab, analyze results, and then you can come up with your conclusions.

>>36163516
Sounds like you aren't doing compound lifts. You are most likely doing a really bad split maybe?
>>
File: 1454816234056.jpg (114 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
1454816234056.jpg
114 KB, 1080x1080
>>36163516
>a month
>checking weight two times a day
>following "routines" (plural)
>"trying to eat better"

Wow, you sound retarded.
1. You check your weight ONCE per week, same day and same time
2. You pick one routine and follow it for AT LEAST four weeks, better 6-8
2. You search on the interwebs for your daily caloric intake, set a limit accordingly and a meal plan fit for it. Than test it for at least one or two weeks and adjust it to your demands.
>>
>>36163516
Do SS or SL as a beginner program. You use these to learn FORM not to get strong. Yes, getting stronger will be a side effect. Use these programs in conjunction with youtube vids (sounds like you have this portion down). Your form will improve as you do these excersises more and more. Read as much as you can online, but don't believe any of it until you've read it/heard it from multiple reliable/semi-reliable sources and then apply it to yourself and see what changes you see. What works for one person might not work for another.

Set some REALISTIC goals for yourself. Figure out what makes you go to the gym everyday, it'll do wonders for your motivation.
Don't weigh yourself. Ever. Maybe once a month. Weighing yourself daily or twice a day will fuck with you b/c you'll rarely see change and when you do itll be small. Seeing a +\-5lb change will do more positive for your psyche than see in +\-.2lbs.

Lastly, stick with this for at least 6mo. I promise if you're in the gym 3times a week for 6 mo that you'll see drastic changes.

You can do this anon. Don't bring any of this weak "I can't do this" shit here. Most of us have abandoned that mentality. You won't make it unless you do.
>>
>>36163711
Posting form checks never hurt any one either. If you're worried about form post a vid and an anon will tell you what you're doing wrong.
>>
>>36163516
lose the scale eat more veggies in all forms. You wanna loose sam excess fat? Satiate your hunger with vegetables first, then add something more if you feel you need it. Cut sugar as much as you can, same with salt, but add some sugar if you're going to work physically, digging with a shovel or something, but only the same day and during or slightly before the work. Make one day a month or two a cheat day i.e. eat what the fuck you want without guilt. Do cardio, I repeat: do cardio. Not over do it, but you need it no matter what. Bad day? Go for a walk. Stress at work? grab a bike.
Cut alcohol as much as you can. Drink more water, maybe milk too. Fuck bitches, get money, peace.
>>
you should only maybe barely be seeing differences at 1 month

I went through the same thing but it gets more obvious around 3 months

if you're deebly goncerned about macros buy a scale for $10 to know you're doing it right

record yourself and post form checks on /fit/ or in /plg/
>>
>>36163516

you didn't get fat in a month. You aren't going to get fit in one month. This shit takes a long time.

I successfully lost 10 lb then decided to start lifting weights. A month into lifting weights I had actually gained 2 lb. Pretty demoralizing but the only thing that kept me going was that i KNEW there was no way I was actually gaining fat or enough muscle to move the scale like that. It was water weight from starting resistance training. I weighed myself about 5 weeks in and I had dropped 8 lb.

You need to realize that weight loss isn't linear. You gain weight randomly. You lose it randomly. I noticed that I stay around the same weight and then randomly drop 4 or 5 lb. Then right after I lose that it'll go back up a little bit. don't worry about it.

As long as you are confident you are eating under your tdee of course.

Also check your weight at the same time every day or week whenever you do it. I would only do it once a day if you want to. Things like water retention food content poop can effect your weight. I always weight in right when I wake up after I make my peeps and poops.
>>
>>36163516
First: there's no need to check your weight that often. It fluctuates widely through the day anyway and when you first start your body will likely go through some recomp so you'll probably not see any change anyway. Weigh yourself once a week, that's all you need. Try to do it at the same time each time though.

Second: most routines online are dogshit. Do something that is reputable and most people agree is a good solid beginner routine like SS or SL.

Third: even if you don't so the routine buy SS and read it.

Fourth: read the fucking sticky cause all this info is in there and it's shitty making people type it out for your lazy ass again.
>>
>>36164021
Forgot to add: expecting results is unrealistic after a month. Give it six months to a year before you can expect to see changes of any meaning. Lifting as a natty is a slow process. Marathon, not a sprint etc.
>>
>>36163602
>the most complex theories in chemistry
>Lift weights, eat protein
Don't flatter yourself, we've been doing this since before we had a science with a branch in chemistry.
>>
>>36163516
>follow a beginner routine, SS or SL.
>Eat a balanced isocaloric diet.
>find your tdee and change caloric intake based on what you want your goal body is.
>weigh yourself once a week, when you wake up after you piss/poop before you eat or drink anything.
>lift consistently, minimally 3x week.
>find motivation in continuity
>understand that this is a lifestyle, not a fad or a trend to follow.

thats it. stay with it. this is a long term commitment. you wanna cheat? fine. just kill yourself at the gym the next time you go. you want a reward? fine. just stay focused on the goals you set. they are all you need. whether it's muscle, strength, pussy, pounds on/off, aesthetics. man up and do your mission, one goal at a time.
>>
>>36163516

>Baiting with pics of girIs

>CompIeteIy unreIated

Nah, you're a faggot OP.
>>
i love that, sometimes, /fit/ can come together and give solid keep at it advice. it seems as though we are all on the same page here.

OP are you listening? everyone is saying the same thing.
>>
>>36164197
Inb4 some faggot says SS is a troll.
>>
>>36164197
This is the most consistent advice thread I've ever seen on /fit/
>>
>>36164227

SS is a troII

>This thread is retarded
>You're a faggot.
>>
>>36164252
0/10
>>
>>36164197
but SS is a meme that will just leave you as fat t-rex
>>
>>36163711
Motivation isn't a problem I go 3 times a week minimum no matter what. The issue is I'll fuck up my form get flustered and go to something else.

I've reached the mental state that getting big is an eventuality, not a possibility, there's nothing that will make me quit, I just want to get to the point of achieving my goals more efficiently.

Also no fucking way I'm posting form checks, I know this place, one fucker will either dox me somehow or 10 will shit talk.
>>
>>36164021
I've read the sticky and it doesn't tell you what to do if you think you're being retarded and bad. Also does SS stand for Starting Strength? if so what's the source for it.

>>36164161
I actually wasn't baiting
>>
Also thank (Most) of you faggots for actually giving advice and not being morons. You guys the MVP
>>
>>36164318
SS is starting strength. The source is the book starting strength.

If you think you are being retarded and bad read the book starting strength and apply it.
>>
>>36164353
I just read an article saying this shit makes you fat . I would literally rather eat a bullet than get fat in any way, even if it's coming off later. Is that true?
>>
>>36164292
Form check to r/weightlifting or r/fitness or the like.
>>
>>36164318
>if you think you're being retarded and bad.
Someone please add a note about positive thinking to the sticky
>>
>>36164397
I read up a bit more, I would obviously like to bulk up, but first I want to cut down, will SS help me with that?
>>
>>36164576
Forget about cut. Just lift the weights and learn to lift them well. Then learn to cut and bulk.
>>
>>36164292
Look breh. It's really simple. Pick a linear progression (SS, Greyskull, etc) and follow it religiously until you have to deload once or twice. Eat at 500 above maintenance during the LP. When you have gotten all you can out of the LP - you will have enough knowledge to figure out what the fuck to do from there.

This shit is just not hard. LP builds your base strength and then either go brosplit, powerlifting, olympic, whatever suits you.
>>
>>36163516

I know I've seen this image dozens of times on this board, but who is that goddess on the right?
>>
>>36163705
>You check your weight ONCE per week, same day and same time
Stopped reading right there. You're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>36164632
I've really got my heart set on cutting first, I just straight up couldn't handle getting fat.
>>
>>36164576
First things first, cutting is pretty useless as a beginner. The point of cutting is to strip away the fat to (hopefully) reveal the muscle you've built underneath. If you cut before building muscle you're just going to look skinny fat and probably be majorly unhappy you've just wasted however many months doing nothing.

If you want to build muscle and get bigger you need to accept you need to eat a caloric surplus making sure you get enough protein and this will result in two things, building muscle and gaining some fat. How much fat depends how much you eat of course and it is absolutely possible to limit how much fat you gain, but unless you are extremely precise with your calories and macros (and you most probably won't be) you just need to accept you're going to gain some weight.

Now unless you are a human stick figure you don't need to follow Rippetoes dietary advice in SS and drink a gallon of milk every day or anything. But you do need to eat enough. Follow the stickies advice to work out how much you need.
>>
>>36164292
Oh yeah, stop weighing yourself. You are supposed to gain a small amount of weight if you are growing. Fucking waste of time.
>>
>>36164770
If you absolutely will not accept gaining weight then you'll never get stronger or gain muscle. Simple as that really bro. Your choice. Just don't waste months lifting and cutting and hope to see any changes whatsoever. I'm telling you now you won't.
>>
>>36164790
Fuck. Alright. How long before I can start cutting back to get abs?
>>
>>36164821
Nigger are you serious? What kind of fucking goal is abzzz?

Eat, get strong on the LP, then cut if you like. If you eat at 500 above maintenance there won't be a whole lot to cut.
>>
>>36164821
If you do SS properly you'll do it until you stop making gains. Depending on your genetics that could be 4-6 months, it could be a year or more. Depends really.

You could do a mini cut somewhere along the way but personally I'd just slow bulk the whole way through. You'll see the best improvement that way. If you are fat already you can eat at maintenance and go for a body recompense though, that'll likely see you make gains and lose some fat at the same time. For a while anyway, not indefinitely. Sooner or later you need to eat.
>>
>>36164866
Recompense should read recomposition. Fucked up with spellchecker
>>
How are we supposed to know if you are doing anything wrong if you don't even tell us what you are doing or what you want to do?
Do you want to lose weight? Eat less, do cardio and lift
Want to build muscle? Eat more, lift heavier and eat even more after that.
>>
>>36164866
I ain't fat I'm like 160 pounds and 5'8. Just want to look good, that's my long term goal, just fuckin look good, don't give a shit about strength. Alright looks like I'm gonna do SS then.

>>36164846
Abs look good fag, gut looks like shit.
>>
>>36164941
You need to eat then. Gotta eat big to get big. C'MON
>>
>>36164998
What happens when I gain like 10kg of fat and then have to work real fucking hard to burn it off. What if I fuck up, eat too much and still look like ass cause my form consistently sucks.
>>
>>36163516
name of the brunette Please
>>
>>36164941
Kek. Abs are muscles that have to grow (through strength training) if they are to be big and nice. Do SS exactly as it is written and you will gain the abs you so desire.

I suggest arms, back, chest, and legs that match though.
>>
>>36165054
I like the sound of it, it seems perfect for building mass. The issue is I'm going to look like shit for a while. Or at least, be fat for a while. Let's say like 6 months from now when my lifts cap out, how long will it take to fuck off all the fat that I've gained?
>>
Another question guys, for SS, is it literally just those 3 exercises and nothing else besides warm up? If so can I add some shit to it like plank/pushups or nah?
>>
>>36165022
If that happens you are too much obviously. It takes time to get fat bro. You don't just wake up fat as fuck one day. Especially if you're lifting heavy as fuck weights every other day.
>>
>>36165125 Fat disappears much faster than they time it takes to build muscle. If you're spending 6 to 12 months building muscle it'll only take a couple of months to lose the fat. Especially if you are lifting and walking plenty. Read this: https://www.t-nation.com/training/the-best-damn-cardio-article-period
>>
>>36165135
Get the book and read it. Srs. Assistance exercises like chins and dips are part of it. Don't just go to the SS wiki and do what that says, it's not all there. The book has shit loads of info on how to do the lifts and proper form. It's probably one of the best books on lifting out there for a beginner. Practical programming is good as well for when you hit intermediate.
>>
>>36165202
My plan atm is to stick with this for a couple of months before I cut down on any of the fat I gained doing it. From there I think that'll be all I want so it'll all be maintenance, not sure. If I do want to keep going I probably won't want to gain huge amounts of mass again.

I'm fucking trusting you fags I'm not gonna get fat and shit.
>>
>>36165202
Just looked up pricing for the book it's like fucking 40 dollars at the cheapest, fuck that I'm pirating it.
>>
>>36165251
Fair enough bruh, that's what I did. I also pirated the DVD which is pretty good.
>>
>>36165287
Alright I may as well ask a few more questions since I've decided I'll roll with this shit. I tend to wake up pretty late, like afternoons. I'm planning to fix my sleeping patterns but if I don't and I eat more calories in fewer meals, is that sufficient or am I fucking myself over. According to the calorie calculator I need like 3.1K to clean bulk. No idea how I'm going to manage that since I probably don't scratch 2k at this point.
>>
>>36165135
nigga there's 5 exercises in SS. Once you git gud at them (3-4 months) then you can add accessories. This is all in the sticky and SS btw
>>
>>36163516
>been about a month
>ABOUT
dude...... a month is nothing...like literally nothing.
>>
>>36163516
we dont care, get out.
>>
>>36165375
Sleep is one of the most important things you need to make gains. The actual work outs are to break down the muscle on a micro level. You make gains while you're sleeping as your body repairs itself, fueled by the food you eat. Sorting out your sleep is a good idea, not only does it help your physique but getting up at a reasonable hour after a good night's sleep is probably the best thing you can do for generally sorting life out. As long as you're getting a good 7-8 hours you're probably good though. Eating more is just something you need to work at. Find out what foods are calorie dense, peanut butter, olive oil, whole milk, all that good shit.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.