[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My doctor told me today that I need to stop lifting and kickboxing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8
File: 1456458005719.jpg (272 KB, 1630x625) Image search: [Google]
1456458005719.jpg
272 KB, 1630x625
My doctor told me today that I need to stop lifting and kickboxing and start swimming instead, because weight is weight. Doesn't matter if it's muscle. I've been doing martial arts and weight lifting since I was 15. I'm 36 now. I asked if more reps of lower weight would be OK and he said no. Weight is weight he said.
I don't do steroids or anything. I can't run much anymore because a piece of bone got shredded off by my tendon and it's not 're-absorbing or embedding like was predicted and they won't operate unless I lose weight first.
Do you think if I went on an extreme diet and switched to more reps at a lower weight I could get it together enough to get the surgery and get back in the ring? I can't handle the thought of not being able to defend myself. I got beat up a lot growing up because I'm an ethnic and religious minority in the Midwest. I'm near tears.

I'm not going to share any pictures of myself or any more personal information, because I'm not comfortable doing that online. I just want your opinion on this.
>>
>I'm not going to share any pictures of myself or any more personal information

Need height/weight and estimate bf%
AKA are you a fat fuck?
>>
>>36158605
lmao these pics are in order?
>>
>>36158643
I have put on a lot of weight since the injury. So yes. 260 pounds, five foot 10. Don't know my gnu. I focus on core a lot because I like to hit hard and fast and keep it tight. The blows I mean. I use a tight up close form for punches and like to use my femur for the kicks. Especially since I fucked that ankle up. Ironically by stepping into a hole. Ain't life a bitch? I think he's a bit biased against body building because he used to be a body builder and it fucked his shit up. I haven't swam heavily since high school when I was on swim team. I don't even have a pool to swim at. I'd have to join a place with a pool.
>>
>>36158716
Bmi. Sorry auto correct
>>
>>36158716
that's the only fuckin thing you're gonna be doing if you keep striking. you are 36 broski go cut your weight healthily and put your 20 year old ego behind you momentarily. your health is your wealth. i don't care if you aren't gonna be as fresh once you return. this is serio sheeto a la carte.

look at it this way: you are questioning as to whether or not you should do the responsible thing or not.
>>
I don't quite understand. Why doesn't your doctor want you to lift weights? To avoid compounding an injury?
>>
>>36158760
It's not an ego thing. I've been in more fights than I'd care to remember. One ofbthr good things about being big is that people back down. When I was training for nationals as a middle weight I got into more street fights and shit. When I got bigger no one outside of the ring wanted to throw a punch at me anymore. Even though st my height I'd have gone further as a middleweight, I decided to stay big. Maybe now that I'm older less people will start shit. Also maybe society has changed enough. Or maybe my dumb ass should just move and never come back. No one gave me shit in New York.
>>
>>36158776
Because I'm not losing weight fast enough. I lost fat but put back on muscle because I wound up focusing more on lifting than striking and running. He says weight is weight, and that includes muscle weight.
>>
>>36158829
all you gotta do is lose the fucking weight in a healthily way. remember stretching? one can stretch to help them perform but if they don't do it correctly; at the correct times, it will be counter-productive. so if you really decide not to do the right thing here with your weight and shit you are going to be more prone to injury, if not a serious one along the line. you wanna live your life with a cane, walker, or even a scooter? the last decades are gonna be trash.
>>
>>36158829
and don't tell us you are gonna give in cause you are gonna be old anyhow. this is some straight up bullshit tyler durden.
>>
>>36158860
I need to get down to around 190 before they'll consider surgery. It's a piece of sharp bone moving around the achilles tendon. There is a chance that they could nick the tendon removing it. Also walking around with that much weight with a sharp piece of bone there is sort of knives edge. It's risky.
>>
>>36158896
What?
>>
>>36158860
>Because I'm not losing weight fast enough. I lost fat but put back on muscle because I wound up focusing more on lifting than striking and running. He says weight is weight, and that includes muscle weight.

I bet you're still fat. Keep lifting, and keep doing your fighting, but eat less. Read the stickyyyyyyyyy
>>
File: 1406270723806.jpg (42 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1406270723806.jpg
42 KB, 512x384
>>36158860
>>36158939
>not losing weight fast enough.
i'm done with this shit. read the fucking sticky.
> I lost fat but put back on muscle because I wound up focusing more on lifting than striking and running.
wrong.
>He says weight is weight, and that includes muscle weight.
peacing this autizmo's thread now.
>>
>>36158864
I'm going to try to lose the weight. But should I do as he says and straight up stop lifting and start swimming for a year or so? I'm going to diet. Probably going to go back to being a vegetarian it's easier to keep kosher that way anyway.

I'm Sephardic. Which means everyone thinks I'm Arab, or Mexican except the Arabs, who hate me.
>>
>implying /fit/ would give you good advice on your own personal health and injury and your doctor doesn't know shit
If it is that important that you not be weak, do what chicks do and make workout meme videos in your bedroom. The new meme is "couples excersises" where they do stupid shit like throw each at a children's jungle gym then do a pull up or whatever other billshit. Fat chicks keep destroying my Facebook feed with stupid excersise videos that they will never consider doing, then go ahead and post how to make a triple chocolate oreo cinnamon roll cupcakes with nothing but a zip lock bag and three ingredients. Anyway, since this isn't a fat hate thread, do those stupid meme excersises and cardio until you dropped enough weight for the surgery. Your doctor knows best.
>>
>>36158988
Fast enough for in time for surgery. Highly specific circumstances. This isn't a general health issue.
>>
>>36159004
It's more important to me that I look intimidating so I never have to use what I can do again outside of sport. I can seriously hurt someone, and since I'm older and darker I'd probably be the one who spent the night in jail. It's the Midwest.
>>
>>36159074
Instead of seeing your doctor go see a psychologist your brain is fucked lol
>>
>>36159074
Chill out tough guy nobody wants to fight you. Start doing cardio ride a bike or swim dont eat so much and lose the weight get the surgery get back on yer feet. Then you can go pick all the fights you want
>>
File: boazmauda31.jpg (31 KB, 302x450) Image search: [Google]
boazmauda31.jpg
31 KB, 302x450
Sephardic Jew in the Midwest. Move. Somewhere where they don't hate Arabs or Jews.

Good luck.
>>
>WAAAHH IM MINORITY DA PEOPLE WERE RAYCIIIISSSSS

You fuckin faggots i suppose you are a slime rape and plunder every culture you invade im
>
inb4 fuck off pol
>>
>>36159120
Nobody wants to fight the Arab looking guy in the bar who's Jewish.... What world do you live in?
>>
>>36159140
Jew, rape and plunder. He didn't say he was Israeli.
>>
>>36159145
sure they want to fight you because you are jewish
>>
thought he was a mudslime
i dont have anithing against jews just the minority whining bullshi is ruining usa and it spreads to my country which is disguisting
>>
>>36159174
No. It's usually because they think I'm Arab. Or, well pick a minority. If you've never seen a Sephardic Jew they look like any given race other than white or Asian. People walk up to me and speak Spanish. They're never Mexican. Mexicans think I'm Puerto Rican or something. Depends on the individual.
>>
>>36158716
Dude that does not seem like sound advice. Keep training and do some cardio a few times a week.

Train in the morning. Do intermittent fasting. Eat from 4-10pm. Easy fat loss.
>>
>>36158605
your doctor is right. if you're obese, which you are, weight lost is weight lost. just do what your doctor fucking told you to do.

>>36158687
the middle one isn't mootykins.
>>
>>36158605
That middle pic isn't really moot right?
>>
>>36159202

why not do what the doc says and swim like a fish? fuck, either lose a few years of progress getting fixed up, or in a few years lose the ability to progress
>>
>>36159233
And in the meantime wear a big cross.
>>
>>36159145
If you want pity and to play victim, go to tumblr and reddit. You will make it to the front page automatically if you play the "dark skinned, Arab, Jew" card there. Especially if you complain about how doctors dont know what they areally talking about, fatties would love to here that. Here, however, we don't give pity to people that want complain about how hard their life is. I live in the midwest. Never heard of a minority get charged for self-defense except when they claim it whIle resisting arrest. So trust your skills and take your doctor's advice. Face your fears and open yourself up to the world. You might be surprised how great it can be.
>>
>>36159174
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/teenager-suffers-fractured-skull-brain-6405044
What world are you living in? That's like the most assaulted group out there. The "knock out game" focused on Jews. The crown heights riots was blacks attacking and murdering random Jews. The gang of barbarians incident in France, the stabbings and shootings in Russia, the list is endless. Look at /pol/. It's the group that crazy people target every time.
>>
Doctor don't even lift.
>>
>>36159351
and you know why mentioned group nr1 abd besides a singular case do you have statistics backing you poin up i can show hundreds of cases where people got killed because they were white or hispanic or asian show me a statistic that shows a overrepresantation on killings on jews and ill agree until then i wont believe shit
>>
>>36159328
I got fucked over once. Let's leave it at that. Maybe I should have stopped sooner than I did, but when does self defense end?
>>
fuck my grammar and spelling its 6o clock
>>
File: anti-semitic-hate2.jpg (57 KB, 475x368) Image search: [Google]
anti-semitic-hate2.jpg
57 KB, 475x368
>>36159393
Are we counting attacks by the immigrants?
>>
>>36159145
I live in a world where ive been sober 12 years and rarely hang out in bars. Weird last time i was in a fight i was drunk and in a bar. There is a saying that nothing good happens after 10 at night. Its not like im hiding out at home fearing trouble. Im married w a son work hard and play harder and have a great life
>>
>>36159449
And London is one of the safest places to be a Jew. Try France. Oy.
>>
>>36159456
I'm the bouncer.
>>
>>36158716
Dude, you don't have to stop training, just lose weight. The two are not mutually exclusive.
>>
>>36158860
Fucking eat less dummy.
>>
>>36159470
https://youtu.be/z_L8aI8ldCY
>>
>>36159140
fuck off pol
>>
>>36159470
Being a bouncer is about deescalation and seeing shit going wrong before it happens from the previous comments you have made its obvoius you are too thick in the head for the job. Bouncing takes brains more the brawn
>>
>>36159526
I some times it takes intimidation to Dr-escalate a situation with a drunk. Also it helps to give them a different target. I'm a distraction. Two idiots are about to go at it over something stupid and someone they both intrinsically hate but are afraid of approaches. Suddenly they aren't fighting. I take a little verbal abuse and everything works out.
>>
>>36159550
Plus I'm related to the owner.
>>
>>36158998
Don't stop training. There's no reason to. You still need to lose 50 lbs though, I'm sure. Dieting is fine, but going vegetarian isn't the answer. Just don't stress too much homie. Have you never heard of a cut, by the by?
>>
>>36158605
i can assure you Hell is unfathomably worse than this
>>
Can your Doctor cure my autism?
>>
>>36158716
Consider seeking a second opinion, man. You said yourself he's biased. Besides, medfags are infamous for not really understanding weight training.

Also, consider shedding some of your fat. If weight is the enemy, why not shed the fat, and keep lifting?

Anyway, I really think you should consider a second opinion. I mean, a doctor telling you to ignore cardio and weights in exchange for low-intensity cardio may not be the most competent, or unbiased.
>>
>>36159004
>>36159074
Nobody ever said doctors are infallible, and there are a shittonne of them in most areas. If you're unsure, go see another one, and get him to double check all this shit.

Doctors come in a crazy variation of quality. My usual is a dude named Dr B, who's been treating me for, like, 10 years. He's fucking amazing, but always checks symptoms on his computer. I once asked him why, and his response was "so many doctors are shit because they don't check, or don't get other opinions. I really don't wanna become one of those guys". He also mentioned how in the medical profession, there is a massive range of quality.

My point is, OP, that if your doctor is giving you advice you feel is weird, or even just not well thought out, then you can seek another opinion. Hell, you can seek as many as you want. It doesn't matter. Doctors are there to serve you, not impose their own ideas or biases on you.
>>
File: socko.png (411 KB, 1788x782) Image search: [Google]
socko.png
411 KB, 1788x782
>>36159777
>>
>>36158605
I hope youre not Jewish, but have you considered auschwitz mode?
>>
File: 20160220_235808.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160220_235808.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>36160575
Im flattered that you saved that pic of me friend
>>
>>36160597
LMFAO nice gyno buddy
>>
>>36160597

Ted Cruz? What are you doing on /fit/?
>>
>>36158860
>5ft 10
>260 lbs
>Natty

>i lose weight but pack on muscle
Stop being delusional
Even with perfect training for 10 years you hold max ~190 lbs and thats around 10-12%bf

You have 70+ lbs of fat

also
>36yo and still acting like teenager
Nigga i was a piece of shit and involved with gangs, but i was fucking 16 at the time growing up in war ridden country
Youre 36 and you still havent got out of that mentality
>>
>>36158920

Swallow your ego and cut aggressively. Rebuild once you're done.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.