[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just had doctor's appointment. > Said it's type
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 13
File: diabetes.jpg (23 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
diabetes.jpg
23 KB, 512x384
Just had doctor's appointment.

> Said it's type 2, which is a relief
> Put me on Metformin
> Worst thing so far is pricking fingers

In the meantime, I'm gonna make some major changes - watch what I eat & how much (BTW they said carbs are the devil) and exercise like crazy.
I view it as a challenge. I'm gonna get ripped to shreds :)
>>
YAAAAAAAASSSSSS BEEEE
>>
Lol, you gave yourself diabetes you fat fuck
>>
Type 2 as well.
I keep my A1c at around 6.0
Carbs are not the devil necessarily, you just have to vastly reduce the portions you eat and what type. I really try to avoid high glycemic stuff like white rice and pasta, I will eat pizza though. Most things are okay, it's just portion control, and with testing you learn how certain foods affect your body.
Keep lifting, body fat increases insulin resistance which is the issue at hand with type 2, while lean muscle is far more sensitive to insulin and building it will keep glucose levels down. If I didn't lift I couldn't get away with eating some of the stuff that I do and keep a low A1c
>>
THAT'S WHAT YOU GET! THAT'S WHAT YOU GET!

You won't do a fucking thing. Enjoy your stroke.
>>
Good to hear that op, I'm the Medfag of the last thread. From now you choose how to live, and more important, how you will die. Get a good diet, lift hard and enjoy your new life.
>>
>>36050825
>>36050764
Thanks!
>>
If I eat tons of carbs but also play a lot of sports, am I still at risk of getting diabetes? I eat 3500 kcal maintenance, 85kg at 1.90m
>>
File: The-wheels-on-the-bus.jpg (88 KB, 405x514) Image search: [Google]
The-wheels-on-the-bus.jpg
88 KB, 405x514
>>36050789
>>36050682
>>
File: 3939017511452065138[1].jpg (224 KB, 1210x807) Image search: [Google]
3939017511452065138[1].jpg
224 KB, 1210x807
Eat high-fiber carbs, eat less fat, avoid animal protein. Lots of pulses.
>>
WHAT A RELIEF
>>
File: Fuhrman-headshot-highres.jpg (1009 KB, 2406x2697) Image search: [Google]
Fuhrman-headshot-highres.jpg
1009 KB, 2406x2697
>carbs are the devil
>>
>>36050935
You mean, like, meat?
>>
>>36050982
meat is high fiber, low-fat?
>>
>>36050979
OK, I exaggerated a bit. What she really emphasized was portion control.
>>
>>36050982

Meat, eggs, and dairy products.

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/plant-based-diets-and-diabetes/
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/why-is-meat-a-risk-factor-for-diabetes/
>>
File: image.jpg (77 KB, 607x608) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77 KB, 607x608
So are you too stupid to lose weight or do you just lack self control?

I've got a buddy with type 1. He's not fat and there's nothing he can do to help himself that he doesn't already. Still he goes into low blood sugar fugue states all the time and has wrecked cars because of it. He'll probably die young one way or another.

People like you make me fucking sick.
>>
Type 1 diabetic here

Tbh you're kind of fucking dumb for even letting yourself get to this point, you can't honestly say you never saw it coming.

That said, you're fucking autistic if you don't buckle down and get your shit together RIGHT NOW.

You've still got your insulin being produced, and if you're smart and diligent you can go back to a normal (but healthy) lifestyle and never worry about metformin, or eventual insulin injections, and will be able to have dessert after dinner.

To do so, just follow these 2 steps:
1) Stop fucking eating carbs. I'd go for 100 or less a day, look into a ketogenic diet. Not saying you have to (lots of people will insist its the best and healthiest way, but its hard to stick with so it might not work out in the long run.)
2) Heavy compound lifts are critical. I've never had better blood sugars since I started lifting. If I don't lift for 2 days in a row, I have to change my insulin settings in my pump because my body gets desensitized to insulin. My theory is that you use up your glycogen stores in muscles after you lift, so your muscles soak up carbs your eat easier rather than them sitting in your bloodstream until insulin gets it in.

I swear to fuck if you end up on insulin injections I'll hate you forever OP, why would you ever do that to yourself? having diabetes is literally the worst thing to ever happen to me, and I just got bad luck. You can actually do something about your type 2 diabetes, and you're autistic if you don't immediately take control and get this shit fixed.
>>
>>36051053

>1) Stop fucking eating carbs. I'd go for 100 or less a day, look into a ketogenic diet.

The worst advice you can give a diabetic. Diabetes is already increases your risk of heart disease, eating a ridiculous atherogenic diet like keto will just fuck you over twice as fast.

Type 2 diabetes is a problem of insulin resistance. You regain insulin sensitivity by being less fat, eating less fat, and eating more slow-digesting carbs.
>>
File: gluttony-2.jpg (151 KB, 320x453) Image search: [Google]
gluttony-2.jpg
151 KB, 320x453
So in a nutshell, what is my optimal diet?
>>
>>36051070
eat like this guy
>>
>>36051070
A bullet. Eat as many as you want.
>>
>>36050914
Another medstudentfag here. Consistent moderate-to-intense exercise is one of the best ways to reduce your risk of diabetes. It helps to improve and/or maintain insulin sensitivity. Provided you maintain a healthy weight (obesity correlates with increased serum free fatty acids, which correlates with insulin resistance), you should be fine.

Plenty of athletes (at healthy weight/fat levels, at least) go stupid on carbs and generally do fine. However, if there's any concern (family history, for example), you could certainly experiment with a minimal level of carb consumption that supports your level of activity. However, I believe sustaining your activity levels trumps carb restriction with regards to risk management, though this belief stems more from anectdotal observation (the reams of athletes that do fine on high carb diets) and less so on hard scientific evidence.

That said, you may be surprised how low you can take your carbs and still maintain your activity. I've run keto off-and-on for years with minimal changes in activity levels. If your metabolism is confirmed healthy, experiment for yourself and see what works for you.
>>
>>36051053
>>36051068
See, I knew this would happen. Guess I'll just eat celery - then I'll reverse diabetes AND have big cums.
>>
>>36050914
>>36051115 here
Just saw your weight and height. Your BMI is about 23.4. So long as you aren't skinny-fat, you're probably doing fine.
>>
I am a nurse working in the endocrinology field.
Do you have any diabetes related questions OP? I will be going to bed soon.
>>
>>36051208
What's your opinion on carbs?
>>
>>36051068
You're retarded bro. If you have high blood sugar you should be concerned with having a suitable A1C level first and foremost, because high blood sugar will lead to heart problems, blindness, and a whole slew of other shit.

>Type 2 diabetes is a problem of insulin resistance.

Thanks captain obvious. you know what causes insulin resistance? High blood sugar levels, and using more insulin. You know what helps decrease insulin resistance? Less carbs and less insulin use.
Also, you said being less fat, which obviously keto is going to help with, that's like the whole point of it. Also why do you say eating less fat? go back to the fucking 1990s if you still think high fat is unhealthy. I'm with you though on the slow digesting carbs, obviously.
>>
Hey bud
Download mfp and start logging your diet down to the crumb
also aim for low glycemic food choices
Good luck babby
>>
>>36051208
Carbs are fine, but you need to know when to consume them. You shouldn't consume a high carb meal when you don't have to use the energy. Keep the high-carb for your workouts. The problem with carbs is the sudden high rise in your bloodsugar. This can be avoided when you use the energy from carbs to work out.

High bloodsugar - pancreas producing more and more insulin to keep it down - this decreases your sensitivity to insulin, thus you are going to need more and more insulin untill your pancreas can't keep up.

I can't stress this enough OP, you really have to take this disease serious. Sure you might not notice any problems by now, but in the end, you will be in for the ride of your life.
>>
>>36051294
>>36051389
meant to reply to you.
One last thing
Lets say you eat a carb only meal, this will make your bloodsugar rise quite a bit. If you combine this carb meal with some fat and protein, they will slow your digesting down and not make the rise so sudden.
>>
File: fatty diet FFAs.png (39 KB, 802x749) Image search: [Google]
fatty diet FFAs.png
39 KB, 802x749
>>36051320

>If you have high blood sugar you should be concerned with having a suitable A1C level first and foremost, because high blood sugar will lead to heart problems, blindness, and a whole slew of other shit.
> you know what causes insulin resistance? High blood sugar levels, and using more insulin

Which is why I'm suggesting foods that help maintain stable blood sugar levels and require less insulin. Pulses, whole grains, fruits, sweet potatoes.

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/making-healthy-food-choices/diabetes-superfoods.html

>why do you say eating less fat?

The same reason being less fat helps. Both mean less free fatty acids in your bloodstream, which means less insulin resistance.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18460913

A normal BMI person on a ketogenic diet is metabolically the same as someone who's obese when it comes to FFAs
>>
>>36051408
Fruits won't keep your blood sugar stable, actually it does the opposite
>>
What is caffeine affect when it comes to diabetes?
>>
File: fruig gi.png (29 KB, 568x720) Image search: [Google]
fruig gi.png
29 KB, 568x720
>>36051456

Most fruits are pretty low GI
>>
>>36050935
>avoid animal protein
you're full of shit

lean protein helps with glycemic control and insulin sensitivity
>>
File: insulin spike.png (184 KB, 978x729) Image search: [Google]
insulin spike.png
184 KB, 978x729
>>36051494

Protein, particularly animal protein, is very insulinogenic.
>>
>>36051458
You can have caffeine, it doesn't break fasting neither affects blood sugar directly. Some study i read found higher fasting insulin levels (decreased insulin sensitivity) after some weeks of high coffee intake. But they weren't sure why or if it was even the coffee. So experiment yourself, everybody reacts differently.
>>
>>36051408
Respect for sourcing and providing info, but the levels for fatty acids for your average type 2 diabetics are the same as those on a keto diet.. So even if he didn't do the keto diet, he'd still have fatty acids levels similar to being on keto (unless the 2 things will add onto or compound eachother, but i dont see any evidence of that).

Also, I should clarify I don't recommend keto or low carb long term, just until OP can lose weight and get his blood sugars stable, then slowly go back to a more reasonable lifestyle.
>>
>>36051516
and there is nothing wrong with that

insulin is good and enhances its own sensitivity unless you pin supraphysiological doses
>>
>>36051488
In theory yes. In practice the story is different. Things like the amount of available carbohydrates, mixed meals, ripening process and the preparing/cooking of meals plays a role in blood sugar.
>>
>>36050107
People with t2d can seriously benefit from reducing refined carbz. This doesnt mean the same applies for healthy people, but since you gave yourself the beeetus, you should seriously do this. Try looking into LCHF
>>
>>36051525

>the levels for fatty acids for your average type 2 diabetics are the same as those on a keto diet.. So even if he didn't do the keto diet, he'd still have fatty acids levels similar to being on keto

Something he'd want to lower, not keep the same or raise even higher

>I should clarify I don't recommend keto or low carb long term, just until OP can lose weight and get his blood sugars stable, then slowly go back to a more reasonable lifestyle.

I see what you're saying, it just makes more sense to both lose weight and eat a diet that helps in treating the disease at the same time, especially since it's something he'll have to stick with anyway.
>>
sterons gave me gyno
Doc gave me free surgey
Surgery did not work, pic related. What do? blast with letro? complain about the surgery? and what do I do when they find out I've been juicing ? Obviously they should have removed the gland, but they failed to do so. Just afraid they will test me for steroids and then say they wont cover this again
>>
ITT:

> Carbs are good, carbs are bad.
> Protein is good, protein is bad.
> Fruit is good, fruit is bad.
> Fat is good, fat is bad

Guess this is why a new fad diet comes out every six months. I should invent one and get rich quick.
>>
>>
>>36051619
What surgery did you get? If he removed the glands then the gyno CAN'T come back. But if the surgeon just removed the fat from underneath the nipple, the gland problem can just make new gyno.
>>
>>36051650
They were supposed to remove the glands, but they must have failed to do so. also, the scaring is really bad and the nipples are no longer symmetrical because of they way they have healed. Im really fucking pissed about this.I want to fucking sue
>>
>>36051650
Maybe you just need to lose weight bro.
>>
>>36051726
>>36051767
And do you smoke by any chance?
>>
>>36051780
I smoked cigarettes, but not every day, and I've quitted now.

>>36051767
no. It hurts so It's not fat deposit
>>
>>36051816
Did you smoke during the healing after surgery?
>>
>>36051831
No, a year after. 2 years since surgery.
>>
File: download.jpg (45 KB, 450x299) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
45 KB, 450x299
How did this become a thread about manboobs?
>>
>>36051115
Thanks brah. Yeah I'm not that skinnyfat been lifting for a year
>>
>father family have diabetes
>mom got it late in life
>this thread scared the shti out of me
>>
>>36051875
shouldn't the abusers of drugs be aware of the consequences, like till for example "manboobs"?
>>
Type 1 here.

Have had a shit diet my whole life, really started getting serious a week after New Year's or so ([spoiler]not a NYRfag, home gym master race[/spoiler]). Biggest tip I can give you is to be aware of exactly what you're taking in, especially if you're eating something you can't get the nutrition facts of right away, like if you go out to eat. Make you drink lots of fucking water. Tons of it. It's the best shit on this earth. Carbs are not the devil, but like I said, be aware of how many you take in.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.