[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are PT's the biggest shams in the world? Literally anything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 17
File: personaltrainer.jpg (494 KB, 5452x3635) Image search: [Google]
personaltrainer.jpg
494 KB, 5452x3635
Are PT's the biggest shams in the world? Literally anything you need to know about fitness/diet, etc is all online, yet people still pay to be told things
>>
>>35988509

They are peopIe afraid to get a reaI job, so they sucker peopIe who think they'II make them Iook Iike a modeI. They're on the same IeveI as a waiter, just carrying a duffeI bag instead of a pIate.

They're nothing more than motivators which is reaIIy just them saying

>GlVE ME ONE MORE
>GREAT JOB
>YOU LOOK FANTASTIC

Over and over.

Anybody stiII using these sheckeI monsters is a moron who couId be putting that money towards good fresh food, work out books and whatever suppIements fit their regiment.

You shouId be motivated by yourseIf or your friends (or GFs but aImost no one on here has those).

My GFs compIements mean WAY more than anything a PT says ever couId, and through my own research (which you shouId ALL be doing reaIIy, there is SO much fucking info out there) l know pIenty more than any of these tren-running tooIbags do.

Between that and going with friends who were form-checking me when l started years ago (and stiII do when taking on new work outs) you shouId reaIIy reconsider what you're doing with your Iife if you go so Iow as to use a PT.
>>
File: 1452386425460.jpg (48 KB, 540x541) Image search: [Google]
1452386425460.jpg
48 KB, 540x541
>>35988509
you seem to greatly overestimate a normie's intelligence.

I have nothing against PTs. Just like police, you got good ones and bad ones
>>
>>35988509
you forget people are lazy its far easier to be told what to do than to find out things yourself and the positive re enforcement of someone in "authority" means the person in question will likely continue
>>
File: 1428142732584.jpg (6 KB, 153x199) Image search: [Google]
1428142732584.jpg
6 KB, 153x199
>>35988672
>tfw the top row is exactly my gf
>>
>>35988613
>I
Stop `that'
>>
File: no humanity left.jpg (8 KB, 218x231) Image search: [Google]
no humanity left.jpg
8 KB, 218x231
I used a PT when I started lifting to help learn some of the main lifts and to generally become more confident around the gym by myself. I had some pretty bad anxiety when I started so it helped a lot.
>>
I hate the fake authority PTs think they have. Being a medfag all I hear from them is constant broscience. The amount of incorrect knowledge they spew makes me worry how dangerous their lack of knowledge is when they offer nutritional and training advice.
>>
I'm considering getting a PT to fix my form on the Olympic lifts. $100 for 6 1hr sessions with a certified trainer. I don't think it's a sham. For some things, its 10x better to have a person there to fix your mistakes than having to self diagnose and fuck around for weeks before getting it right.
>>
>>35988613
>there is SO much fucking info out there
there's also so much misinformation out there too, my PT told me what worked for him and also helped with my diet
>>
>>35988838
Get off TumbIer screen caps of work outs and go Iook up some certified sources.

Get the books peopIe have been referring to since the 80s-90s. There's a reason professionaIs stiII preach from them.
>>
>>35988869
if you're going from 0 information you see a bunch of huge guys that work out like retards and spout broscience while shilling their own brand of poisons
>>
>>35988509
Yes
>>
>>35988761
>>35988869

B/c theyre all friends supporting each other dumb dumb
>>
>>35988509
They are there so lazy people have someone to talk to while they do a shitty workout
>>
>>35988974
>AII friends

Most of them actuaIIy don't Iike each other because they rep different brands and most of the writers make pennies off those books.

>>35988927
ExactIy why you shouId do your own research and NEVER buy a product that has someone's face on it.

>None of these guys use their own garbage
>>
>>35988509
Lol that picture is part of a collage on the wall at my goodlife club
>>
File: ayyq234123.jpg (16 KB, 324x228) Image search: [Google]
ayyq234123.jpg
16 KB, 324x228
>OK Serious question here

Does reading and comprehending the sticky gets me a better understanding of fitness than the average PT brosplitting retard?
>>
It's okay for a fiendless autist to learn lifting form. No reason to hire one for long periods though
>>
It's okay for a beginner to do a couple sessions just to learn basic form for the more complex lifts. It is very easy for a novice to hurt themselves on, say, the squat, after having just watched a couple of videos and thinking it's easy. (And I speak from personal experience on that one.)

But yeah, I don't understand why anybody would get one on an ongoing basis... unless you're like a movie star or something where being fit is literally part of your job.
>>
I've been lifting on my own for a few months. I hired a personal trainer a few weeks ago for a couple of months. I did it for a few reasons: consistency, knowledge, and motivation.

Having a trainer means my workouts will be somewhat consistent. I've been very good about going to the gym at least three days a week. I don't see that changing anytime soon since I've started rearranging other parts of my life around that schedule. I'm committed and my friends/family know I am. But some days I may end up with a much lower volume than others. My trainer has been making sure that doesn't happen.

I know a bit about lifting and a good deal about nutrition (I used to be 100 pounds heaver than I am now, lost it all over two years by caloric deficit alone). It's one thing to watch a youtube video or read a book. It's another thing to have someone there who can explain a lift in a conversational style and can actively critique your form. Working on your form by yourself is important, but getting real time feedback from someone who knows more than you is immensely helpful. There's also a lot that I didn't know I didn't know that I'm already learning. It's hard to research something if you don't know it exists.

I like to think I push myself pretty hard when I'm lifting. My trainer pushes me even further. In the span of a few weeks they've helped me get more comfortable and familiar with my own limits. When you're used to stopping when you feel the first signs of fatigue having a knowledgeable person pushing you to do a few more reps really makes it clear just what you can actually do.

Sure I'd probably figure all that out on my own eventually, but I'm not poor, I can afford to pay someone to accelerate my progress a bit.
>>
>>35990023
not really senpai
>>
>>35988613
This tbqh senpai
>>
I imagine a pt is good if you already know what you want. Keep them around for a day or 30, then cut them loose.
>>
Always wanted to use a bodybuilding PT at the gym for one or two sessions, get some tips, extra knowledge and then just sak them off once you got the info, but then ou'd have to see them around the gym and be a bit awkward....
>>
>>35990381
It sounds like you just payed for a gym bro.
>>
Disregarding the unfortunate fact that the majority of "personal trainers" suck beyond all measure, having a GOOD trainer will always be better than coaching yourself.

It's like the old saying "a lawyer who represents himself has an idiot for a client". It's hard to be objective when coaching yourself and more often than not you end up doing what you like to do rather than what you need to do.

Also, reading and watching videos is great. But hands-on coaching will (by a competent coach) is always going to be better when it comes to learning technique and such.
>>
>>35988509
I've seen PTs make people do sit ups and press ups during their session at the gym. What a bunch of robbing cunts, most don't have a fucking clue and passed a course on-line and think they know.

utter cunts
>>
>>35988509
>is all online
yea the correct information are all online and are making up easily 2% of all information about diet, exercise, losing and gaining weight.
>>
I hate the PT's at my gym. Every fucking day someone who is new gets routine and lifting advice by some of these fuckers

>muh abs
>smith machine is much more safe for squats
>never do free weight compound movements
>use our new machines!
>muh 6 gorillion ab exercises
>4-12 reps is only for powerlifters and bodybuilders. you don't want to get too bulky, do you?
>>
>>35992278
This is like the opposite of my trainer. He pointed at a whole row of ab machines and said "All of these are useless" and then he helped me with my dumbell bench press form. I told him I want to be a "veiny freak" and he got excited at the prospect of helping me at the start of my journey. Somehow smith machines got brought up in a conversation once and he said they're "fucking stupid" and are for "small asian chicks".

I'm like 95% certain he browses /fit/.
>>
A bad teacher is worse than teaching yourself but a great teacher is the best option. This thread reeks of people that feel superior to others for not spending money aka poor people. If you spent a fraction of the effort you do researching lifts on researching who the best coaches in your area are you'd get better information and coaching then you would via self-study.
>>
>>35992391
go for the 100% and ask him

afterwards proceed to suck eachothers dick
>>
>be me 6 months ago
>squatting shit, leaning to far forward
>PT spots me, shows me what I'm supposed to be doing.
>writes up a plan for me.
>10x Squat sets, all machine work shit.

Yo i'm gonna stop my program just to fix some minor imbalances. yeh.
>>
>>35988613
Regimen you retards not regiment. This triggers me.
>>
Entire fitness industry survives on two things
1. Myth that fitness is a sort of complex science that requires years of studying. Its not
2. Fact that we still don't know much about process of building muscles

Truth is, at its core fitness is simplistic. You lift heavy things up and put them down and then get more muscle by eating proton rich food. 99% of correct lifting form boil down to keeping your back neutral and not twisting joints. Beyond that pretty much everything is under-researched or pure broscience
>>
>>35988509
I take one every 3 months or so to check on my form.
>>
>>35992527
you have a trigger regiment in that case, who the fuck cares. just kill yourself, your friends and family despise you anyway
>>
>you should start with the machines
>then some assisted machines
>then the barbell
Piss off, cunt.
>>
>>35988672

>He doesn't bulk on mcdonalds
>>
File: 1451124609710.jpg (44 KB, 1282x723) Image search: [Google]
1451124609710.jpg
44 KB, 1282x723
>>35988509
>Literally anything you need to know about fitness/diet, etc is all online, yet people still pay to be told things

You go to uni.
>>
As much as a meme that it may be, everyone should read SS because it does a great job of explaining how weight training works and also how to properly and safely perform the main compound movements. Even if you don't want to become big and strong and just "in shape", some basic barbell exercises with good form will do wonders for you.
>>
>>35992623

You go to uni for the diploma, not the knowledge. That's just how the world works. I could spend six years reading about anatomy, physiology, pharmacology and pathology but without that diploma I'm not a doctor.
>>
>>35988613
>Anybody stiII using these sheckeI monsters is a moron

Good thing the world is full of morons
>>
>>35992637
Who decides how the world works?
>>
>>35988509
I still would love to get tips on how to improve my form on all major lifts. But I'm a cheapass so I watch Mark Rippetoe on theartofmanliness's channel.
>>
>>35992763
>I still would love to get tips on how to improve my form on all major lifts
sure, but that's not what PTs do. they show you how to use machines and give you pointless, ineffective routines.
>>
>>35992699
People with money who want to make more money :^)

On a thread related note:

I agree a good PT, at least for the basics, is worth your time/money for the majority of people. I still agree you should do research and not believe everything blindly, but that's just common sense
>>
File: 1453138136517.png (718 KB, 500x739) Image search: [Google]
1453138136517.png
718 KB, 500x739
>>35988613
>GFs but aImost no one on here has those
>>
Are Teachers the biggest shams in the world? Literally anything you need to know about fitness/diet, etc is all online, yet people still pay to be told things
>>
File: lu-bottom-up-overhead-squats[1].jpg (287 KB, 1214x1050) Image search: [Google]
lu-bottom-up-overhead-squats[1].jpg
287 KB, 1214x1050
>>35988509
Yea trainers are all major shams that's why all olympic athletes get all the information they need online.
>>
>>35992800
Who decides the value of money?
>>
Not all of them. A PT that can motivate you isn't worthless, and plenty of people aren't internet savvy (or simply don't have the time) to cut through the bullshit and figure it out for themselves.
>>
>>35992939

Janet Yellen
>>
>>35992781
Ah okay. Then yes, I would argue PT's are useless indeed.
>>
>>35992965
The correct answer is the people willing to exchange goods and services for it.

If no one was willing to accept fiat currency, fiat currency would cease to have worth, and the people with lots and lots of fiat currency would cease to have power.

The people in charge of mobilizing police and military would still have power, and the people with video footage of those people fucking child prostitutes would still have power over those aforementioned people, so they would still get to decide how the world works to a degree, but still.

Point is, the world decides how the world works. When nobody's willing to pay ~13k/year for qualifications for jobs a median net income of ~26k/year, something will have to change.
>>
>>35992901
>thinks a coach and a trainer are the same thing
>>
>>35988509
>Are PT's the biggest shams in the world?
yes
>>
>>35988509
But thats what people want

>>35993042
Fiat currency is just currency, something that represents amassed resources
But actually if you ask who decides the value of money, its basically the bank that issues it
>>
>>35993213
Are you saying that if I coined photographs of Jason Alexander as currency and issued them at a value of ~1000 ounces of gold : 1 PoJA, I'd be a millionaire?

No, nobody would be willing to give me one million USD for a photograph of Jason Alexander. It doesn't matter what I say it's worth, it matters what you're willing to exchange for it.
>>
>>35988825

You mean a coach, right?
PT and coach are completely different things.
>>
>>35993294
Yes, your poja would be worth 1000 ounces of gold to you
>>
>>35990023
The sticky explains nothing, it's just a shitty meme
>>
>>35993827
Shit's worth what people are willing to pay for it, dipshit. We're talking economics, not personal perception.
>>
I have my CPT simply because it's an added credential. I make $2/hr now at the drug rehab I work at than the other workers. Part of the tx plan is healthy, regular exercise. I don't do a single thing except teach proper form.
>>
>>35988509
Obviously lukewarm trainers won't do much for people who strive for physical excellence, but a real good trainer will kick the shit out of you and really push you beyond your limits. And that's where it could make sense for /fit.
>>
File: Untitled-3.jpg (98 KB, 294x410) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-3.jpg
98 KB, 294x410
>>35988509
>mfw the quarter squatting pts keep bothering me
>>
>>35994158
Nope thats being too simplistic. As the issuer of a note, your currency is worth what you back it for. Like if i came up to you with a poja, youd have to give me 1000 ounces of gold for it. If you didnt give me gold, then why are you issuing notes?

Of course now banks let their currencies float which means they dont back it with anything except precedence of common usage. Still it doesnt mean users set the value, not at all. Users dont decide everytime they exchange money for good what their notes are worth, they follow the value set by the central bank that issues the fucking money
>>
>>35988509
hurr durr I get all my infomation online, what do you need doctors for when there's WebMD..
Coming from somebody who charges €80/hr as a personal trainer, I obviously wouldn't have clients if I wasn't worth it
>>
>PT I talk to sometimes is with client
>good job, one more, you got this, all you, etcetc
>it's some bosu ball, 20 rep super light DB routine
>what the actual fuck
>later
>PT does his workout repping out 4pl8 squats and 5 pl8 deads
>ask him why he trains his clients with that retarded routine
>"it's what they want, anon"
>mfw I can't argue with this
>>
File: sex-ercise.jpg (2 MB, 1703x2500) Image search: [Google]
sex-ercise.jpg
2 MB, 1703x2500
>Not being a PT for sick sex-gains.
>>
>>35994302
>>"it's what they want, anon"
Many PT's later realize shit like this, then start catering to lazy fucks for lots of extra bucks. Look at the guy who started Heart Attack Grill place on Las Vegas.
>>
>>35994173
> $2/hr
Please tell me youre a convict on work release
>>
Thing about PTs is they're tryin really hard not to hurt people and giving something they can accomplish. Teaching barbells to newbs is a terrible idea. You'll Probably be fired if you hurt a client. If you need a PT than you most likely won't make it because you need to be able to take care of yourself without one.

With that being said. A lady i shadowed that was a rehab PT said 10 reps is the best for noobs. It's easy and they will see gains. 20 is stupid.
>>
>>35994280
The difference is becoming a doctor requires years of study, training, and experience before you can even be considered a consultant.

Becoming a PT requires a few vocational courses that take maybe 2 years to do and - more importantly - good looks and charisma. People don't hire you because of your knowledge - they hire you to keep them motivated.
>>
File: the fuck.jpg (104 KB, 1404x866) Image search: [Google]
the fuck.jpg
104 KB, 1404x866
>>35988509
The health industry as a whole is a fucking scam.

Just google "how to lose weight".

Instead of getting calorie counting tips, you get shit like pic related.
>>
>>35994356
That guy is a doctor, long shot from some dumbass pt.
>>
>>35990381
>get a PT
>tell him to check my from on Didlies
>he reports me to the owner of the gym because I kept insisting he shows me how to to compound lifts, not use machines
>they kick me out of the gym for "risking your health and safety"

I pretty much spit on every PT's face I see now.
>>
>>35992699
The people who hire your ass.
>>
The chick PTs in my gym have some sweet asses and two have them have nice tits as well. I get great value watching some 42 y/o dude paying them $65/hr so they can chat up up the 23 y/o hottie and I get to check out her ass when they are near me.

For my $65/hr paying someone they do the work...nice Chinese girl climbing on my back and giving me a massage.
>>
>>35994525

I'm curious. Outside surgery what the hell are they suggesting people do? Wish themselves healthy? Rub snake oil on their folds?
>>
File: bodywrap560[1].jpg (45 KB, 560x593) Image search: [Google]
bodywrap560[1].jpg
45 KB, 560x593
>>35994610
What else?

Mineral body wraps.
>>
File: pushups.jpg (59 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
pushups.jpg
59 KB, 640x640
PTs are awesome they are like prostitutes for the gym
>be 5'9 345lbs
>hire PT to "train" me
>I tell her the workout I'm doing and she just watches me lift
>tfw she is miring your lmao 2pl8 bench
>skele fags and manlets struggling with one plate look on to me as I get the full attention of a perfect 10
>after workout she says when can I see you again
>"how about tonight we grab some drinks"
>"No I meant to workout"
>>
>>35994641

Of course! Guess we can shut down fit because that obviously works better than diet and exerciser. Going to go put some limestone round my thighs and see if my horse comes back to life too.

What is the reasoning behind that?!
>>
While I agree that you can find anything you need online, a youtube video isn't going to critique your form on-the-fly. That's the only reason I occasionally use a trainer. And because I got free sessions for signing up at this gym.
>>
Well, I Work in IT. Some kid down the road can google 99% of what i can do. But will they pay him? no. Will a store pay him?
>>
>>35994687

Things That Didn't Happen: Volume 49
>>
>>35994687
Why would you pay someone just to watch you exercise? Sounds to me like you're just a huge attention whore. And I mean HUGE 345lbs kek
>>
They're nice to establish a base for the more complicated lifts.

For instance, when I started doing compound lifts like Squats and deadlifts I wanted help with form so I just asked a fellow gym goer to help me with squat form. It really helped me out a lot, and I doubt I could learn good form from pics online alone.

You could just as well ask another lifter than a PT tho
>>
>>35994687

and then you saddled up your unicorn and rode it to saturn.
>>
>>35988825
Just see if there are any good lifters around the area where you live, most of them give classes and they'll be 100x better than a washed up pt. Or as someone else said, get a coach.
>>
>>35990023
Maybe. When it comes to routines it sure as hell will
>>
>>35994687
lol that's so pathetic dude ;(
>>
File: Capture.jpg (29 KB, 608x534) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
29 KB, 608x534
>>35988509
There's absolutely nothing wrong with them if they actually gave good advice
>mfw noticing that easybar on her neck
>>
File: paelaeontologist.jpg (39 KB, 240x260) Image search: [Google]
paelaeontologist.jpg
39 KB, 240x260
>>35994533
>That guy is a doctor
Yeah, and David Schwimmer is a palaeontologist.
>>
>>35994324
>most freelance pts i hear about are house calls
>they literally go to rich married womens houses to train them
>not sure if its just one big sex ring, or they actually train these old rich women
In any case they make like 100 bucks an hour, id willingly scam a rich woman for that kind of money
>>
>>35995113
good, because i've got a bone for him to examine
>>
File: 3ooxhs.jpg (120 KB, 625x551) Image search: [Google]
3ooxhs.jpg
120 KB, 625x551
>>35988509
as far as I know a PT is somebody to motivate a NEWBIE

if you are totally serious about your training and/or you want to compete at high level you need a COACH not a PT

tfw I went some month to a commercial gym to do my plg routine and everybody was scare, they ask me for my "routine" and I say: "I don't use a routine, my plan is written to be followed for the next year by my coach"

they left with confused faces
>>
>>35996454
>fedoraborealis.jpg
>>
>>35994920
>>35993640
Yeah, my mistake, I meant coach. I didn't really understand the difference.
>>
>>35996454
>This is what autistic non Iifters think
>>
>>35992278
Can you blame the guy for telling people what they want to hear? He makes money by getting people to return. The average person thinks compound lifts are dangerous, that a 'toned' stomach comes from Amrap crunches, and that 20 reps is ideal. Speaking the truth will lose then business. There is a reason why what they 'teach' and the routine you see most actually do themselves are different.
>>
>>35996454

>they ask me for my "routine" and I say: "I don't use a routine, my plan is written to be followed for the next year by my coach"

That plan would be your routine, autismo.
>>
>>35997018
He might be on a periodization program where his workout changes very often.
>>
>>35988672
i lost at netflix
thanks
>>
>>35992278
>you don't want to get too bulky, do you?

I fucking hate this shit. People have no idea the actual effort it takes to get big.

>looking at a poster of Arnold in the gym during a rest with gymbro
>mention that I love Arnold's physique, and would love for that to be my top goal (obviously unrealistic but it's good to set goals high)
>gymbro says "Nah I would never want to be that big"
>I'll just stop and maintain when I think I'm big enough
>>
>>35994525
>No CaIs
>No exercise
>ActuaIIy it's easy

Feminism is IiteraIIy women bringing themseIves down spouting this shit at each other over and over.
>>
>>35992531
False.
Things like hypertrophy exist for a reason. You can be simple about it and just say "lifting heavy gives you muscle".

The science behind it isn't about giving one word answers. It is about going more in depth and discovery.

Yea, maybe you're right. Maybe all people really need to do is lift. But don't dumb down the entire industry, there is much more to it than being " urban myth".
That's like saying "Look. Math is just adding or subtracting numbers together okay?" No, there's more to it than that.
>>
>>35988613
compliments*
>>
File: 2_8_16.png (46 KB, 966x224) Image search: [Google]
2_8_16.png
46 KB, 966x224
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.
Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.