[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the costs and issues associated with starting your own
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
What are the costs and issues associated with starting your own gym/barbell club?

>looking for a new gym in my area (bay area)
>only crossfit gyms
>zumba gyms
>really shitty commercial gyms
>nice barbell clubs in San Jose, Oakland, San Francisco
>crossfit boxes insist I pay 200 fucking dollars and do their stupid program
>just want to lift with decent barbells and some bumpers
>catalyst is far away for me

I figure an industrial space will do, get kitted out in full rogue shit, charge around $50 bucks a month. Wouldn't see profits for about 2-3 years, but atleast I can fill the niche of strength training without crosshit or crap commercial gyms.
>>
>>35701895

Probably won't see profit, ever. Gyms are a money sink due to the startup costs and space requirements.

Very few 'underground' gyms are themselves profitable. They might make cash off their name or the programming/training/etc the owner sells, but the actual space is typically not a money earner.
>>
File: 1423459718299.jpg (7 KB, 226x219) Image search: [Google]
1423459718299.jpg
7 KB, 226x219
>>35701941
This is what I figured as I am now running numbers trying to allot for depreciation and broken equipment.

I guess homegym masterrace it is.

>mfw looking at all these crossfit boxes and fighting gyms with badass equipment
>mfw its 200+ a month and you can only take classes
>mfw all these 30 somethings on yelp saying SO SICK BRO FUKKN 100 REPS
>>
>>35701895
A friend of my father had a gym (it's also where I started working out). It was pretty small, just four rooms in his basement. The equipment was old and the people who went there were mostly actual body builders. It was pretty neat, everybody knew the regulars by name, super helpful and friendly environment. I never asked how much money the owner made with the gym, but I guess it didn't matter, it was mostly a hobby and everybody who went there helped out whenever they could.

Anyway, the place was closed a few years ago, because the owner had health problems and couldn't afford the place he lived in any longer. Towards the end it kind of sucked, nobody of the old regulars went there any longer and I guess everybody else went to those shitty franchise gyms. Never understood why people prefer an anonymous, sterile, soulless gym over what that place was. Then again, I'm on 4chan. The point is: Small gyms die out and are largely replaced by franchise gyms. I guess convenience and corporate vibe tops everything these days.
>>
File: eyyman.jpg (51 KB, 770x554) Image search: [Google]
eyyman.jpg
51 KB, 770x554
>>35701969
Where the fuck do you live there are only crossfit gyms, literally go to any big box gym, most crossfit gyms have a basic memberships too. Post your location
>>
>>35702046

Price and equipment make a difference as well.

The only things a garage style setup can typically compete on are breadth of equipment and community. If you don't have that, there's no reason to go there.
>>
>>35701969
I go to a fighting gym and its 100 a month for everything the place has to offer, and if you are doing gym only its 20 bucks a month. All the personal trainers are either well known powerlifters/body builders or sports magazine models
>>
>>35702128
>All the personal trainers are either well known powerlifters/body builders or sports magazine models
Like who, you dyel faggot
>>
My ymca gym has hundreds of memberships for 55$ and these people only attend 1-2 group fitness classes per week.

They pay the trainers only 35$ to run the class too.

Normies dont really care about lifting equipment and barbells sadly.
>>
>>35702136
http://xtremefitnessandperformance.com/trainers they are decently known not big time. I am a dyel faggot though
>>
>>35701895
Why not just go to 24 hour fitness? Cheap and they have bumper plates
>>
>>35702228
None of my local 24's have bumpers that I know of.

I go to fitness 19's, the sunnyvale location actually has a rogue bar, bumper set, and platform, it is almost never available.

>>35702066
the suburbs of the east bay

I found a couple box gyms on Yelp, again they all want $100 plus, only 3 hours of open gym a day/3-4 days a week, really trafficky part of the bay, require you to take their classes etc.
>>
>>35702293
24 hour fitness Bayfair in bay area has bumper plates
>>
File: 1407197109285.jpg (29 KB, 280x510) Image search: [Google]
1407197109285.jpg
29 KB, 280x510
always had a dream of owning my own gym as a hobby and because i love the feel of broship in a small gym.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.