[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /fit/ think about yoga/meditation? Been considering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: yoga.jpg (2 MB, 4668x3481) Image search: [Google]
yoga.jpg
2 MB, 4668x3481
What does /fit/ think about yoga/meditation? Been considering it, but need second opinions.
>>
>>35673557

>considering meditation
just put the phone down and fucking do it
>>
>>35673557
Do it.
Do some reading and research.
Do it again.
Go outside and talk to people about it.
Do it again.
Do more reading and research.
Do it again.

Start on about 10-20 minutes a day.
>>
Just fucking do it.

Meditation is one of the two things that keeps me from dwelling too much on the daily shit I put up with and ending up ventilating my skull. Heavy squats & presses are the other. Getting aware of your breath this way with help shore up your breathing during lifting, and I consider that second only to tension from good form.

I'm partial to hatha yoga, but whatever floats you. Yoga can be a good cooldown, warmup, or general stretching session on rest days (or in the mornings if you're like me and you are almost always lifting daily.

Once you get used to it, weed is empty and alcohol almost as much so. That doesn't stop a lot of people from doing both, but you're not one of those emaciated neo-hippies in a local health food store that smells of cheap pot & rancid body odor
>>
>>35673557
It's extremely relaxing, and yoga does wonders for flexibility and balance.

Relaxation is important to your mental health.
>>
>>35673557
Meditation is lifting for your mind. I just fell off the boat and went a couple weeks without it and felt miserable. Day two now and I'm back to normal.

If you're interested read a couple blog posts and try it for 5-10 minutes a day. If you like it after a couple weeks, read Mindfulness in Plain English for a complete introduction.
>>
File: 1445029904595.jpg (59 KB, 481x329) Image search: [Google]
1445029904595.jpg
59 KB, 481x329
>Needs a second opinion to risk occasionally spending ten minutes of time sitting in peace and quiet without getting some kind of obvious tangible gain from it

Am I the only person struck by how macabre this is? Who hurt you, anon?
>>
Just download the calm app and do what the lady says. Takes a few minutes of your time for major mental gains down the road.
>>
>>35673799
>>35673689
Thanks anons, I'm gonna start to read on it, look forward to it
>>
literally wasting time for no reason when you could do something
>>
http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe.html
>>
meditation has recieved lots of scientific evidence in the last decade
search it on pubmed
>>
>>35673799
Im not the OP but im reading the book and the first pages are fucking depressing me.

Does this shit get better?
>>
>>35673557
Consider qi gong too.

Basically meditation, yoga, qi gong will all be bashed by the type of faggot who says, "Ooh uh there are no significant studies backing these things up, don't waste your time with such drivel."

Fuck those cunts, try meditation, yoga or qi gong and see for yourself. That's what I did and I'm happy I did it. Been doing qi gong and meditating daily for about a year now and I feel much better than I did before, more grounded and feel less materialistic.

If you want something more grounded in science try the wim hof method, i believe you can find his for, "Becoming the IceMan" for free online if you break the law.
>>
I would do both meditation and power yoga. I use to meditate an hour before uni every day and the clarity and alertness it would bring me was phenomenal. Managed a 3.5 that semester without studying too. Power yoga really helped me with insertional Achilles' tendonitis and flexibility as well. Hope this helps
>>
how exactly does one meditate. just sit in silence and think about things?
>>
>>35673557

do it you fucker, meditation is the best.

i only did yoga once but it was great.
>>
>>35674543
sit down
focus on your breathing
when you start thinking about other things, calmly remind yourself to think about your breathing
repeat forever for the rest of your life

there are a lot of different styles. I went on a 10 day silent retreat (vipassana style) and it was one of the best things I've ever done for myself. Also by far the most difficult. More difficult than any lift or gym day.

If you think you're a >bigguy you should take one
>>
>>35674543
Your goal is to clear your mind and keep it clear. It's harder than it sounds.

I've talked to some people who took up meditation because they were being overwhelmed by their thoughts and emotions running all the time and the best way to describe a starting point was to "find the space between the thoughts".

You can meditate at any time and it's useful as hell if you live in a high stress home or work environment
>>
Does anyone have a guide/sticky to meditating?

Or point me in the right direction?
>>
>>35674230
>meditation has no scientific backing
>meme Hof method

Are you fucking serious, anon?
>>
>>35675367
I don't have it on my phone, but Google image search "Starting Sit"

Try Headspace app for a 10day crash course
>>
>>35673557

Meditation is very good. Probably essential as a natty lifter too so you keep cortisol levels low.

Yoga is great as it's formalised stretching and LISS cardio which bbers especially lack in.
>>
>>35673557
Do a Witcher style meditation for 15-30 minutes, twice a day. Think of only black empty space. Do this for 21 days along with nofap and post results.
>>
>>35673875
No, you're not. I wanted to see if someone else thought so.
>>
File: tumblr_nthiqcJLgk1ueqn6yo1_500.gif (1000 KB, 500x465) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nthiqcJLgk1ueqn6yo1_500.gif
1000 KB, 500x465
>>35675613
Forgot pic, dammit.
>>
>>35675249
I read your comment and realized that I don't know how mental clarity feels.
>>
>>35675613
/v/ pls go
>>
>>35673557
yoga is fucking awesome.
>>
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 421x732) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 421x732
stretching is GOAT
Do yoga
Do meditate
you will end up having sex with pic related
..... watch
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.