[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what's the consensus on sumo deadlits? Are they worth
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6
File: sumo_deadlift[1].jpg (36 KB, 600x332) Image search: [Google]
sumo_deadlift[1].jpg
36 KB, 600x332
So what's the consensus on sumo deadlits? Are they worth it? Is Rip just talking out of his ass? Should I even bother with them if I'm a 5'8 manlet?

They feel really good, but I'm worried that they just don't work the back as much as conventional deadlift ... and that I'm gonna have a bigger ass than my GF, when I'm also using lowbar squat...
>>
I'm gonna be totally honest with you here, something you rarely see on /fit/
I too, am 5'8 and prefer sumo deadlifts. There is multiple reasons as to why.
It feels way more natural to get into the sumo position
My form is way more on point than in conventional
I can lift way more. Not just what the slightly less ROM would allow, but my body just works better in that position.

People are gonna call it shit and say it has nothing to do with real deadlifting.
Those are the same fedora meisters yelling: "DO SS+GOMAD U FGT AND ISOLATION EXERCISES ARE MEMES"

Maybe one day I will do conventional again. But not in a long time.
>>
>>35577871
Besides, having a big juicy butt is also wanted in a man. It signals thrusting power.
>>
Depends why you do deadlifts desu, I prefer convential for the hamstring benefits. Sumo is fine as long as you include hamstring work
>>
>>35577871
Sumo is fine. Anyone saying different is dumb
>>
>>35577871
Do whatever you're strongest with, people who think sumo is cheating are fucktards
>>
Are there any good tutorials for sumo?

It feels like shit when I do it.
>>
>>35577871
If you can pull more sumo, then deadlift sumo. Simple as.
>>
File: d.jpg (58 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
d.jpg
58 KB, 640x640
>>35578168
Thanks
>>35578231
Up to this date i've only been doing conventional, can do 4 plates for reps. But every time i try sumo it just feels better, especially on the lower back. Also, yea, should propably do some hamstring work, I just started Texas method and up to this point I've never done any hamstring assistance movements.
>>
File: M23.jpg (44 KB, 638x479) Image search: [Google]
M23.jpg
44 KB, 638x479
>>35578231
What? Sumo uses even more hammies
>>
I have a bigger ass than every girl I've ever fucked. Apparently there's literally gossip about it (both girls and gay guys). It's a good thing, don't worry about it. Just make sure the rest of you gets jacked as well (PARTICULARLY your upper back) and it'll look balanced
>>
>>35578293
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IePuEo9qwLE
this is the only decent one I've found
>>
>>35578293
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byWVthxh6OM
>>
>>35578331
>trusting EMG studies
>>
>>35578414
If you can't trust EMG studies, then learn anatomy. Its easy to understand how sumo hits your hamstrings that way.
>>
>>35577871
Pull sumo. Eat butt.
It's simple
>>
File: 28216382.jpg (63 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
28216382.jpg
63 KB, 500x334
sumo gives you better leverage, shorter ROM, and increased quad involvement which translates to using higher weights. however upper back and lat involvement is gonna go down due to the more upright back angle and decreased ROM.

I follow Rip in that the deadlift is my primary back strength builder, so I pull conventional.

Also Konstantinovs pulls conventional so why bother with anything else

source: 405lb 1RM conventional, 230lb 76", 80" wingspan
>>
Train both
>>
File: M45.jpg (35 KB, 638x479) Image search: [Google]
M45.jpg
35 KB, 638x479
>>35578670
Sumo uses your traps more, so wrong about upper back. But you're right about lower back.

It also depends heavily on your conventional / sumo form. You can spread your feet wide or narrow on both. There are cases where your (semi) sumo deadlift has a more horizontal back than your deadlift with two different individuals.

>sumo gives you better leverage
Then why more pple pull conventional at PL? You're so wrong about this. Its an individual thing.
>>
>>35577871
Conventional, sumo, and trap/hex bar all emphasize different muscle groups. You are still working the whole posterior chain while deadlifting, but each style will work some muscles harder than others. You aren't going to end up looking like Brian Peppers if you just do sumo. At the end of the day it's honestly all the same shit unless you're planning on competing as a powerlifter/bodybuilder/other kind of elite athlete, which I assume you aren't since you're asking for my opinion on an anonymous Ukrainian pottery forum.
>>
Do whatever feels best

>not wanting a big butt
>>
There's quite literally no reason to pull sumo. It offers no advantages. Only powerlifting faggots who "lift" with hilariously cheated ROM should use it. And they're faggots. As Rip says.
>>
>>35578670
>230 BW
>405 1RM.

Oh lol. That must be rough.
>>
>>35577871
Sumo deadlifts are great for people with stocky builds and long torso-short limbs. Like me. It all depends on your bodyshape.
>>
>>35577871
I do Romanian deadlifts, the most dangerous for rounding but i do light weight(ish) because im trying to tone my lower back.
>>
>>35578331
Lol for a second i thought MH meant "muh hamstrings"
What has this place done to me
>>
File: 1447752447893.png (245 KB, 442x476) Image search: [Google]
1447752447893.png
245 KB, 442x476
>>35580019
>im trying to tone my lower back.
>>
>>35579655

Is this true, senpai? I've got wide hips and short as hell legs (29-30 inch inseam and I'm 5'10 king of manlets)
>>
>>35577871
The sumo ''stance'' feels more natural to me but I have zero power off the floor with it as opposed to conventional.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.