[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /fit/ Is going at a heavy bag a legitimate form of exercise?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: hqdefault.jpg (21 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
21 KB, 480x360
Hey /fit/
Is going at a heavy bag a legitimate form of exercise?
Or is it a waste of time if you're not a boxer?
>>
>>35488605

I think it's a waste of time, considering you never had boxing lessons to know how to hit. You'll probably end up injuring yourself if you hit that shit everyday with bad form.

However if you're 300+ lbs, it could be decent cardio and worth the "risk"
>>
File: check muh paint skills, brah.png (5 KB, 580x389) Image search: [Google]
check muh paint skills, brah.png
5 KB, 580x389
>>35488605
best cardio ever

>>35488677
ignore this faggot.

just keep your wrist straight to your fist, not your forearm (pic related - though kind of exaggerated), and only punch with your middle finger's knuckle (err on the side of your index knuckle, so if more than one knuckle comes into contact with the striking surface it is your index and your middle together)

aside from that, the rest should come naturally over time, just try punching with your whole body (just focus on your hips and legs) and you should noticeably improve just by practicing (the harder you hit the heavy bag, the better the technique)

practicing high kicks is the ultimate form of cardio, imo.

you don't need to be 300+ pounds...

even elite athletes are winded after 3 rounds of 5 minutes of this sort of intense activity, and they train cardio specifically not to get winded...
>>
>>35488734
also, using that picture as a reference, you want your fist to move towards the target "corner" first (the upper left corner of the fist)

a lot of people punch with the flat side moving towards the target, and that can lead to your punch landing on your fingers, which will break your hand.

on a heavy bag, however, the chance of injury is laughably small..

you are hitting a goddamn cushion, after all
>>
I do boxing and working with a bag is pointless. If you can twist someones arm into becoming your partner its better than punching a bag. You get better at moving around which is the better part of boxing and your overall stamina will increase a lot quicker.
>>
File: dumbbag.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
dumbbag.gif
1 MB, 320x240
>>35488605
Best form of cardio you can do if you want to maintain muscle.

>>35488677
What is youtube faggot? You can learn all you need to there. You won't be a fighter, but youtube videos can teach you how not to hurt yourself.

If you're super serious about form, you can video yourself and critique based on what you've learned on youtube.

It's not rocket surgery, faggot.
>>
>>35490049

got any links senpai?
>>
It's the fucking best.
>>
>>35488605
I hit the bags 2x a week for years. Its not the "greatest" thing for cardio. The heavy bag is designed to work on power. Sure, you can make it a cardio workout but its really about power. I used to do 12 3minute rounds of kickboxing or boxing. Never really got too tired from it. I always would jump rope for 20 minutes after. Running up stairs or sprinting an incline is a better form of cario for me.
>>
I learned how to box at my first martial arts school that also had a boxing coach. But youtube has so much good info. Brandon Krause is a good one but even Freddie Roach has boxing tutorial videos. If you're a complete noob Id recommend Freddie Roach first and Brandon Krause later for fine tuning.
>>
In my 10 years of martial arts training Ive found the heavy bag to be good specifically for body hooks. Now I just stay in front of the bag and rip body shots. I like seeing that thing fold.
>>
>>35488734
Lol shut the fuck up
>>
>>35488734
lol elite athletes are winded after 15 minutes. Maybe if they've never punched and kicked before.
>>
>>35488677
This.

Cringe everytime i see faggots working the bag
>>
File: image.jpg (48 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48 KB, 320x320
Eh, not really.

Strenght training is a focus to...
Cardio is for a select thing...

The heavy bag is for endurence, kata, and practice/ conditioning for striking martial arts.

I guess if you fucking hate how boring lifting and cardio is (even though its more effective.
>>
Which one is the bag?
>>
>>35493026
>has never seen a 3 round fight in his life before
literally both athletes leave the ring exhausted, unless the fight is mismatched.
>>35492980
compelling rebuttal faggot
>>
>>35495736
>comparing 3 rds on a heavy bag to 3rd fight lol
>>
>>35495736
>the heavy bag doesn't fight back fyi
>>
I hollowed out a large boxing bag similar to the one in the OP. I lined it with a 20cm layer of cotton wool (may remove later) and make my girlfriend get inside.

The bruising is a lot less noticeable now and it still hurts and she still screams so its better than nothing. Can't afford any more angry phone calls from her family.

It aint bad for the gains either.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.