[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lifting in college
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 1467945725396.jpg (144 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1467945725396.jpg
144 KB, 960x960
I've been lifting just over a year now, and I'm off to college in about a month (americunt here). I've toured the campus, and they have a great gym, much better than the shitty 24 hour one I've been going to recently.

The thing is, I'm not quite sure what to expect when I arrive, lifting-wise. Can any collegebros let me know what to expect? When you transitioned to lifting at college, how did it affect
>gym availability
>how crowded the gym is
>gym behavior
>food options
>counting calories
or just anything that made a major difference that you noticed. Embarrassing transition stories welcome, as I'm sure I will have a few to share in the future regardless
>>
>>37953719
If you live on campus you're guaranteed to gain weight. Also build your workout around your schooling, not the other way around.

Best time to go is in the early morning; most folks like having their classes after 10am for some reason.
>>
>>37953739
>for some reason

Is it really difficult at all to understand why some people don't like waking up before 7 am
>>
File: 33454834.png (400 KB, 471x618) Image search: [Google]
33454834.png
400 KB, 471x618
Bumping for interest.
>>
>>37953739
>for some reason.

People like you make me sick
>>
>>37953719
Remember: 8lbs of the freshman 15 can be directly attributed to drinking in moderation - not even to excess.

Consider this: there's 180 calories in a single serving of Sam Adams Boston Lager (http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-ales-beers-boston-lager-4-9-alc_f-ZmlkPTY3NDY2.html).

If you drink just 3 servings of that, only 2 times a week, you're consuming an extra 1080 calories per week. With 26 weeks of classes in your first year, you're consuming 28080 calories that you would not otherwise be having, and at 3500 calories per pound, without changing anything else about your lifestyle, you're gaining 8.02lbs from responsible drinking.
>>
>>37953719
you'll do fine, but don't over do it. school is happening now, and you dont get to do it over again.

If you are focused enough, you CAN balance school and gym, while throwing in a little social life. If you don't remember anything else, remember that. Balancing school and the gym, while maximizing results from both, are possible. Anyways,

>gym availability - sucks cuz normies dont use gym to full potential. there will be curl bros hording mirrors, many of them
>how crowded is the gym - fucking indians and normies everywhere, then the mid tier, top tier, and elite tier
>gym behavior - nothing special
>food options - dining halls or be fucking ready to cook lots of food
>counting calories - if your a student in college, counting calories becomes irrelevant, just enjoy food and dont over do it

Just fucking enjoy college while you are there
>>
>>37953719
The absolute best time for campus gym is on party nights after 8.
>Thursday Friday Saturday

The gym will be relatively empty, clear of Chads etc. Plus, after your lift you can go ball with the Asians.

>Mfw blocking shots all day playing with asian manlets
>>
>>37953739
At my college, all the sport teams work out in the morning. I had to stop going in the early mornings because of that

I had to basically test different times for a month to find the best gym time, which ended up being around 7
>>
>>37953719

Which college? It's possible somebody here knows specifically.

That said, my college had food ranging from unhealthy to healthy, and it all had nutrition info with it. Also I lost hella weight freshman year because I got tired of eating the same greasy shit every meal.
>>
>>37953719
>not going to a collegiate university and sharing your college gym with ~400 undergraduates
>not having a 100m walk from your bed to the gym
>not having a gym which is almost perpetually empty
stay pleb fag
>>
>>37953768
>>37953815
I think he was being sarcastic. Anyways, if you guys can't wake up before 8 a.m you aren't going to make it.
>>
>>37953719
>gym availability
Literally don't know what you mean by this. There is a gym and it is available

>how crowded the gym is
Super fucking crowded. At all times except super early or super late.

There's frat boys doing brosplits, noobs half repping their compounds, noobs with actually good form, novices that are just trying to make it, chicks who go for a month then stop, dudes who are cycling, strong guys who care about lifting, old dudes who got a membership cause the campus is close to their home, guys who sincerely care about lifting and know their shit, etc. all types of lifters in huge amounts. If there's one thing I hate about uni gym, it's the fact that it's so fucking crowded

>gym behavior
Like I said before, there's all types of people. So you'll run into lots of different behavior.

I work out alone so I tend to have conversations with randoms if they seem nice. Obviously some dudes are douchebags who are still stuck in the highschool mentality of "I'm too cool for everyone that's not as cool as me" but usually the vast majority dislikes those fuckers.

People are generally nice if you aren't cold towards them, and I've made a fair amount of acquaintances at the gym just by being nice and open to conversation. You'd be surprised at how many nice people there are. I used to be a generally shy person that was afraid of putting myself out there, especially at a place like a uni gym, but it's been fairly easy to just be social when you share a common interest with people. Some people I've talked to at the gym I just give a fist bump to now because we've met.

>food options
>counting calories
It's alright. I go to a uni with really great tasting food, so it's cool. All the nutrition information is online so counting macros is somewhat accurate.

Now with that being said, most of the food is fucking terrible for you. Some sandwiches are over 900 calories, some dishes are just terrible. So try to find the healthy alternative or just follow IIFYM.
>>
>>37953865
I've never seen someone be satisfied by their college's food for very long. Everyone always complains after a few months
>>
>>37953719
I didnt read much of anything you said but dont go during the day. To many idiots. Go eiyher really early or late at night. Also fridays are fun as fuck because casuals dony lift on that day
>>
>>37953817
>servings
thanks for the laugh
>>
>>37953912

OP here

Gym availability was just referring to what times the gym is open. Like I said I go to a 24hr gym, so I tend to go midnight and occasionally at 3 or 4 in the morning if I can't go any other time. I was just looking for a general timetable of when college gyms are usually open, and typical restrictions like abbreviated weekend hours or other bullshit.

some good info, not looking forward to lifting in a crowded gym all the time though
>>
>>37953856
My college has a separate gym for athletes, so early morning was the best time. If not, going late can work if most people live off campus.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.