[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would lifting weights on the Moon result in better or worse gains?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: tumblr_ny15rafIxB1ueiaxzo1_1280.jpg (121 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ny15rafIxB1ueiaxzo1_1280.jpg
121 KB, 900x900
Would lifting weights on the Moon result in better or worse gains?
Why?
>>
>>37952501
The only real difference would be the reduced acceleration which I imagine would make it easier to control the weight through the movement and accumulate more time under tension. It would make explosive lifts more difficult to perform though.

So in summary I guess it would favour slow twitch fibres?
>>
worse
because weight equals mass times gravity
>>
>>37952547
Yea but because gravity is less you can lift more.
>>
File: Starting Space.jpg (83 KB, 293x521) Image search: [Google]
Starting Space.jpg
83 KB, 293x521
>tfw tryna do power cleans but end up launching myself into orbit
Who else /StartingSpace/ here?
>>
Probably worse, but not because of anything to do with the lifting in and of itself. Bone density drops when you live in a low-G environment, and I expect there would be a similar effect on other strength adaptations. If nothing else, the lunar lifter would be more liable to break something under the bar, even if the weight were scaled up to match Earthly equivalents.
>>
>>37952581
Doesn't the spine also stretch out (decompress?) more when you're in zero/lower-G environments? Would this make your back more likely to snap up unless you somehow managed to "warm up" or pre-compress it or in other ways prepare it for the heavier load you'd be lifting?
>>
>>37952552
you can lift more mass, but not more weight.
lbs and kgs are units of mass, not weight.
>>
>>37952593
Good question. I don't know, maybe. You'd probably want to start warmups lighter than you would on Earth.
>>
>>37952501
marginally more, assuming you were lifting the same weight/(8x the mass), as you'd have to use additional force to accelerate the much more massive weights
not a real difference
>>
the gains would be out of this world
[upvote button here]
>>
>>37952627
at the same time though your arms would weigh less
also depends how quickly you move the weight when you do reps
>>
File: trump_0.png (67 KB, 540x298) Image search: [Google]
trump_0.png
67 KB, 540x298
>>37952556
Kek
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.