[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
sup fit. I'm joining the military in the next few months
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 7
File: milbench.jpg (12 KB, 279x181) Image search: [Google]
milbench.jpg
12 KB, 279x181
sup fit. I'm joining the military in the next few months (Army, specifically) and I was curious if any of you here have been through the service as well.

Reason I ask is, I plan on taking full advantage of my term there in regards to school, trade, and fitness. The school and trade aspect I already have an idea of, but I am curious as to how much freedom you have to workout.

Do bases have gyms?

Will I be able to keep enough personal food of my own aside from the meals you get from the slophouse for gainz purposes (skelemode)?

I really want to get myself into a schedule that focuses on brains and gainz. I've been a fuck up for the last few years of my life, basically squandered every opportunity I had, burned every relationship to the ground, and am currently exhausting the patience of my family. I'm 27 and turn 28 next month. I'm finishing this semester of college and then I'm off to see if good ol' Uncle Sam can fuck me into submission; make me a beneficial appendage to society again.

I just want to be left alone to work, learn, and lift. Will this be doable while in the military?
>>
>joining the military
>will I be able to live a life where I can do things I like

fucking idiot, you're exactly the type of meat shield the military needs.
>>
If you're a skelly, there s little to no chance they'll take you. Their weight requirements are pretty strict.
As far as gains go, BCT is THE gains goblin. You ll be eating at a deficit and doing excessive amounts of cardio. What I personally did was I used my time in BCT as a cut after I bulked for a while. One thing for sure is you will lose weight during BCT. You have a relative control over your macros at the chow hall.

But after BCT, depending on what you choose to do, you will either have lots of time to do what you want or none at all. If you choose enlisted duty, more than likely wont be able to lift anywhere unless you get stationed to a base. If you choose National Guard or reserve, you re pretty much set to do whatever you want.

t. FL National guard here
>>
>>37952067
>I just want to be left alone

Holy fuck the military is the absolute worst choice
>>
>>37952098
I've already been accepted. I'm not terribly skele:

5'11'' x 170lbs.

>BCT is THE gains goblin.

I was anticipating this much. I plan to use that time to cut down my beer weight and once out of BCT start the gainz method. Ill be doing 68A I believe which is biomedical technician. A LOT of school from what I understand, but thats fine. I know he first year or 2 will be busy. I'm more focused on the last 2 years for really hitting the gainz hard.

>>37952080
t. faggot

>>37952116
I understand they will be up my ass, but if i can get an huor or two a day for working out, i'm cool with that. I say i want to be left alone, but i guess what i mean is I would like the ffreedom to create a schedule rotating around school and fitness. I'm not going to be a grunt. I scored very high on the ASVAB and have already got a career set up. After BCT it'll be mostly school and the job pertaining to that degree.
>>
bippity bumpy
>>
Just got out of basic at fort chill last friday, lost all my gains in basic as well as everybody else did. Only two days to lift in ait, have to use their piece of shit "gym" otherwise. They have great fitness centers on base that are free. Once you make it to your first duty station things will change and you can kind of do what you're planning on, but only after ait/osut.

Also everybody in the Army is a piece of shit.
>>
>>37952067
Are you going active or are you going back home like a bitch who flaunts being in the military to everyone they meet?
During BCT you don't get free time. Don't expect to get any gains while there, it's very difficult. You can exercise at the end of the day but you don't get the luxury of going to a gym or having any equipment.
>Will I be able to keep enough personal food
No. You will not be able to keep ANY food until you are finished with both BCT and AIT.
In AIT you may or may not be able to start using supplements if you choose; this is entirely dependent upon what base you go to.
>Do bases have gyms?
Yes. Every single base has a gym, most have multiple. Can you go to them? Not likely. In the early stages of an IET (Initial Entry Training) soldier, ie: You, they segregate training soldiers from active soldiers.
In AIT you will get limited free time to yourself, and, like in BCT, you have to go everywhere with somebody. You will need to find someone who shares the same fitness goals so you don't piss all over each other when trying to work out.
>>37952140
>an hour or two a day for working out
This will not happen in BCT, but for a 68A that's over 40 weeks of AIT so you should have plenty of freedoms. Generally the longer the course the more freedom you have, so this is good.
>I'm not going to be a grunt. I scored very high on the ASVAB
>my sides
You're choosing an enlisted MOS, that means you will be enlisted. That means you will be a fucking grunt. If you have a degree then do yourself a massive favor and go to OCS (Officer Candidate School) and be an officer in the medical field. An enlisted in medical you will be the bitch of every person in that hospital. Every. Person. In. That. Hospital.
Higher rank, civilian employee, patient, they will all turn you into a bitch.
Go officer if you can. Uber freedoms then to do any fitness you want. Plus they promote fitness all the time. You see more jacked officers than enlisted.
>>
>>37952376
>>37952376

>Once you make it to your first duty station things will change and you can kind of do what you're planning on, but only after ait/osut.

That's wht i was hoping to hear. I knew it would be a while before it would be available, but as long as i can get a few years in thats great.

>>37952460

Active duty, bud.

>This will not happen in BCT, but for a 68A that's over 40 weeks of AIT so you should have plenty of freedoms. Generally the longer the course the more freedom you have, so this is good.

Sweet. your post was very informative, thank you.

>An enlisted in medical you will be the bitch of every person in that hospital. Every. Person. In. That. Hospital.

:(

Oh well. No, i dont have a degree, but i plan on getting it while enlisted. I'm close to my Associates and really want to pursue a bachelors.

What base should i shoot for in your opinion, if you have one
>>
>>37952067
If you scored high on asvab and didnt take a 35 series MOS, then you are a moron. you say you won't be a grunt, so i can assume you didnt choose 11b? If that's your definition of grunt, then sure, youre not a grunt. But you are still the army's bitch.

side note: if i see one more gaurdsman trying to flaunt some bullshit G.I. Joe type shirt at the gym, i am just gonna snap. I hate seeing these fucks in the gym. They are generally just average lookin dyels except they try to humble brag with their clothes. If you do this, you are a faggot that has never done anything of importance in the service and has to validate his existence through the assumed gratitude of others. The reality is you spend 2 weeks a year playin dress-up. In, a year, i spend more time in swim trunks than you spend in the uniform; but i dont call myself a swimmer. How dare you call yourself a soldier.
>>
>>37952563

What all is in the 35 series? I'm looking for a job that will transfer well into the civilian world when i get out.
>>
>>37952495
Active is the only way to go. Free access to gyms, you can be alone all you want if you don't get stuck with a roommate in an open-room barracks. Keep all the food you want all the time and you can go work out for 10 hours a night if you want, they don't give a shit what you do on your time as long as it isn't illegal and you make it to formation the next morning.
>No, I don't have a degree
Try to get your associates before joining if you can so that you won't have a year-long lull from education while going through training.
Many companies and battalions put education first when you go active and they will make time for you to go to your FREE COLLEGE. Is it an Ivy league? Fuck no. Is it well renowned? Nope. Is it a step above highschool that gives you credits? YES!
If you manage to obtain your bachelors while active then you can take advantage of the "Green to Gold" program which puts enlisted personnel with degrees through OCS to become an officer. Great program.
>What base should I shoot for
Everybody has their own preference, really. Lucky for you though medical is everywhere so you can at least put in for whatever you want. You get 3 choices to put in for. The 2 bases I've heard that people like the most are Fort Lewis, WA and anywhere in Germany.
I personally don't have a preference.
>>
>>37952579

I was considering Germany for sure! I just want to get away from the states for a while.
>>
>>37952563
Your side note made me chuckle. I've been picking on NG since my first day of basic. 5 active years later I joined NG since I have a family now and I still pick on NG. Whenever drill pops up I say that I have to play soldier for a couple days.
I scored high on the asvab and I chose 15 series. I could choose anything the Army has but I fucking love helicopters. Plus it'll translate well when I drop that bomb ass Warrant packet
>>37952577
35 series is the oxymoron Military Intelligence
>>
25B guardsman here

>live near a military base so I get all the perks of active
>Civilian job hired me because I'm guard, have a top secret clearance, and that I got my security plus cert in the army
>make 27 dollars an hour, 50 hour weeks
>hurricanes and flooding happen a good bit in my state so I actually do a job that I couldn't do in active duty as well

Feels good man.
>>
When you go to basic you won't be able to lift weights, just lots of cardio. Now when you get stationed some where, about 99% of military I stalations have a pretty decent gym, just prob a good idea to switch lifting schedule around cause Monday is national military chest day. Legs will be easy to do cause no one works out there legs in the military. If you get deployed some where most camps will have a gym for you and you will prob work 12 hour watches so lifting and sleep is all u will be able to do when your off
>>
File: SnMvoX.png (199 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
SnMvoX.png
199 KB, 800x800
>>37952140
>but i guess what i mean is I would like the ffreedom to create a schedule
>>
>>37952761

Sweet. I can live with that for sure.

>>37952744

Sounds perfect. I'm hopin to have that some day.
>>
What does /fit/ think of Chair Force? Thinking of joining since I can't find a job that isn't Mcdonalds
>>
>>37952768

>implying that's not something I will be able to do
>>
11B here. During basic and AIT, or OSUT, you will have no freedom to exercise independently. Like a previous poster said, basic is the gains goblin on crack. For PT, you'll do nothing but cardio and bodyweight shit, i.e. long distance running, sprints, pushups, pullups, etc., in between various creative smoking sessions. In my class, we did circuit training with kettle bells maybe twice. This is because all they care about is making sure that you don't get injured and you can pass a pt test with a good enough score to graduate. You'll also do lots of ruck marching, which is pretty rough on your joints and back. Prepare to have to struggle a bit getting back into your routine after you get out of basic.

However, once you get to your duty station, you'll absolutely love the gyms you'll have free access to seven days a week. You'll still have to do pt, but every post has free fitness centers that are pretty damn well equipped. I'm at Fort Stewart, and I think it has four gyms total, if I'm not mistaken. My closest one is about 300 meters from my front door, and there's a small GNC by it for all of one's supplement needs.

If you joined a combat related branch, you're going to be absolutely surrounded by gym rats. Gym culture is so prevalent in the infantry and combat arms, it's crazy. Every lunch, the gym is pretty packed, as well as when work lets off. Sometimes, when we have a slow day, the psg has us go to the gym until it's time to get off. In most gyms, you'll have everything you need to do bodybuilding, cardio, and crossfit, as well as ropes, pools, etc. at certain gyms. When you're not doing field problems, you should have more than enough time to do whatever routine you have. There are also enough gymbros in each company that finding a workout bro/crew should be no problem.

Military bases are /fit/ paradise. Unless you roid, that's a big no no in the Army.
>>
File: image.jpg (139 KB, 1110x550) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
139 KB, 1110x550
>>37952067
I'm getting stationed in Nellis and the gym there is 100,000 sq feet, almost came when I looked it up

Chairforce faggot here

And yes I'm pretty sure every base anywhere has a gym because there is nothing to do

>pic related

Yea thats a gym
>>
>>37952744
Gaurdsman that flaunts his ts clearance on the internet. Further proving gaurdsmen are jokes.
>>
>>37952919

Man that's reassuring. I'm really looking forward to post-BCT life.

>>37952941

That's fucking insane! is that the base gym?
>>
File: image.jpg (147 KB, 640x836) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
147 KB, 640x836
>>37952962
Yea warrior fitness center on Nellis

Also just graduated BSOC and got my "wings" this Friday
>>
went to marine mcrd. was like 2 weeks to finishing. told them i had homicidal tendencies and id rek everyones shit next time i got my hands on a gun

2 ish week later they sent me home. no dis honor, got medical leave. was pretty dope

yes bases have gyms. i dont know from personal experience but a lot of dudes all they do it lift and wait for orders

depending on what you do you could be all alone or you can have some dude screaming down you neck 24/7. if youre pushing papers im sure itll be a chill life. but if youre a grunt or something you wont be alone for a minute of your life

honestly. dont join out of some sort of. "means to an end" thing. thats what i did. and right before i was about to finish boot camp i realized im probably making a mistake. now im a truck driver and its pretty great actually. im making more than enough money to support myself and i dont really deal with anyone
>>
>>37952987
Well joining the marines was your first mistake

Should have went AF
>>
>>37953006
yeah. years later i also realized that i only joined the marine for "muh ego"

but.. i wanted to be the very best.. like no one ever was..
>>
>>37952981

Well done. What does that mean...?
>>
>>37952744
>help desk jockey
>>
I know that all militaries have their jargon, but the Americans seem to have a baffling amount of acronyms in theirs. It's completely impenetrable if you're not enlisted yourself.
>>
>>37952067
Active duty army here

Depends on your job, but ultimately it ends up being typical go-to-work-then-back-home shit. It's just a job.

You live in barracks. Depends on the base, but it's like a dorm room usually. There's a kitchen that usually shared by the building, and you'll have your own fridge and microwave.

You can leave post and shit like an adult. Shopping, whatever. Get a car. It's a lot like college, but you have crazy micromanaging bosses who might randomly demand you do something retarded.

Any base will have at least one gym, and a track.

Basic and AIT are usually shitty for gains, but they're also only a few months. I'm a nurse, though, and it's one of the few year-long AIT's. They treat you like a normal soldier for the longer AIT's though.

Once you finish your training you'll be like any other person and can lift on your days off. I work 12-hour shifts at a hospital which complicates things, but it's standard for civilian nurses too.

Army won't make you not a fuck up though. You'll just be a fuck up with a job.
>>
>>37953134

>Army won't make you not a fuck up though. You'll just be a fuck up with a job.
Honestly, i thrive when i have structure. Everything just kind of fell apart in my life and i took to the bottle instead of picking myself back up. I had it made in the shade 2 years ago, now it's more damage control.

Either way, I think the service will help me get that degree ive been putting off and be a great addition to my resume. I'm overqualified and under-educated at the moment and it fucking sucks.
>>
>I just want to be left alone to work, learn, and lift. Will this be doable while in the military?

No. Absolutely not. You will never be alone and your entire schedule is dictated by others.

The military is for people who either really like their country, or are fucked after high school.

You're in college, man. You don't need this.
>>
>>37953447

I don't have any money left in savings, My truck is breaking down, i lost my dream job and haven't been able to get back in my field because I've lost jobs/been to jail since.

I basically am fucked. This is pretty much my last chance to get myself back on track. The only reason i haven't off'd myself is because i have a son.
>>
>>37952098
>National Guard
>Military

OK buddy tell us how hard bootcamp and then going home was.
>>
>>37952981

Are you a pilot?
>>
Gonna have to take advantage of this thread

Joining as an Electronic Systems Technician, 7 years min service, good qualifications tho

Anyway

How much freedoms will I have after basic and employment training?

Ausfag if that helps
>>
File: image.jpg (81 KB, 634x422) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81 KB, 634x422
>>37953876
Nah bruh I wish haha

RPA sensor operator

I'll be bombing terrorists with a "drone"

That's why I put wings in quotes because I'm not really flying but we get them anyways and I get flight pay so it's a win-win

Everyone else who actually flys and has wings hates us though
>>
>>37954127
dreamjob jesus christ
>>
File: image.jpg (90 KB, 640x821) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
90 KB, 640x821
>>37952098
This is all bullshit

You can eat so fucking much in basic training it's retarded

A few kids in my flight who had to drop weight just to be able to join still put 20lbs back on it BMT

I gained maybe 5 lbs and came out bigger and I had been lifting for 2 years before joining

>pic related
Graduated BMT 2 months ago

It was Airforce though I don't know about other branches but you definitely are not starved in BMT

>>37954144
Yep it's gonna be sick

Getting stationed 20mins from the Las Vegas strip as well

This is the gym lmao
See >>37952941
>>
>>37954144
>dreamjob

I thought drone pilots got severe psychological stress issues because of how they have to dehumanize their targets and how nobody sees what they do as being stressful so they can't talk about it.
>>
File: 0000000000.gif (234 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
0000000000.gif
234 KB, 500x500
>>37952067

Veteran Marinefag here. Lemme tell you what's wrong with your expectations.

>I plan on taking full advantage of my term there in regards to school, trade, and fitness. The school and trade aspect I already have an idea of, but I am curious as to how much freedom you have to workout.
Just wrong. YOU don't get to decide anything. You will be government property subject to retarded field day cleaning, trash sweeps, and monotonous menial tasks for no reason other than they simply CAN do that to you.

>Do bases have gyms?
Yes. They're normally crowded as fuck. imagine your gym during rush hour x10

>Will I be able to keep enough personal food of my own aside from the meals you get from the slophouse for gainz purposes (skelemode)?
You might have a tiny fridge to yourself, or even share a tiny fridge with your roomie(s).

>I really want to get myself into a schedule that focuses on brains and gainz
You don't have a schedule. You do what you're told when you're told.

>I just want to be left alone to work, learn, and lift. Will this be doable while in the military?
FUCK. NO. You will be treated as a child until at least E5, when you're given some semblance of freedom to do your own thing.

If you're REALLY set on joining the military, finish up school and go officer. Otherwise steer clear of the Army or Marine Corps. Navy and Air Force are your best bet if you want to go to school while you're in and you're best bet if you want to learn a trade or job skill applicable in the civilian world (ie, the real fucking world).

If i could do it all over again i'd go Navy as a Corpsman or Army as a Medic. Disregard the retards and grunts and their "better than you because I'm a grunt" attitude. Those people have no employable skills when they get out other than "I run fast and shoot real good! hurr durr!"

tl;dr: Go Navy or Air Force if you want to go to school. Pick a job that teaches you a skill you can take into the civilian world. Disregard grunts.
>>
>>37952067
Don't join the army if you love your country. Join a local militia
>>
>>37954783

To expand on this, everybody's experience is completely different. You may join a unit with a CO that puts heavy emphasis on going to school, you may get some dumb fuck that won't approve shit.

Your experience varies so wildly that there really isn't any way to predict whether or not you'll be able to do anything you want until you get there.

I've been in barracks where i had 3 roomies + myself. I've had my own room before. I've been in units that will keep you in the motor pool for 12 hours straight just to sweep and move the trucks around. I've been in units where they set you loose if there's no work to be done. Everything is completely left to fate in the military, bro.
>>
>>37954185
>Getting stationed 20mins from the Las Vegas
Fug this guy is telling the truth I talked to a few army fags at UNLV and wasnt aware drone hq was here at Nellis.
>>
>>37952067
If Army become a mechanic or something tech related.
I was 35Q.
Want a workout routine that will make BCT your bitch?
>5min pushup plank a day
>35x3 pushups a day
>run at least 1-2 miles every other day
>Do standing jumping jacks (church clapping but hitting your thigh) 1k times a day
>100m lowcrawl
>50x3 situps a day
Beyond that study up on military first aid, topography, how to shoot a gun (unless you wanna go home early or repeat BCT), don't be afraid of heights, don't fall asleep during classes, be able to stand for 4-5 hour periods if DS is a fucking douche, find out what size boot you are ASAP, always LOCK your locker if you're not within arms reach because assholes will steal your shit, and don't volunteer for shit. Be a danny phantom.

And don't be that guy who eats his boogers...
>>
>>37952860
Become a loadmaster and give it 110%. All the thai, filipino, indian and japanese pussy you'd ever want. Also flight/hazard/base pay can make you around $4k-$5k a month. But if your A-5 has an imaginary critter on board you'll be stuck in thailand or wherever for 1-2 months. Getting plenty of extra pay and getting pussy. But I wouldn't spend the money on tons of food. You wanna save all that extra cash.
>>
>>37954185
Hey dronebro, who accurate is that movie good kill? Is the lifestyle similar? Looking to get into a civil affairs reserve unit in the future. Would go AF but no civil affairs branch that isn't under usasoc or something non entry level.
>>
>>37955935
Dont be afraid of Heights? Whats the highest you were ever at?
>>
>>37956459
Every instructor here bags on that movie so fucking hard

Me and my classmates watched it the first day we got to Randolph but I passed out on the couch

From what I saw the job itself is similar and the place they filmed the movie is legit and that's how the setup is

But almost every instructor here has loved the job and says they wish they could go back operational (they're stuck being instructors for minimum 4 years)

It just depends on how you can cope with taking a human life because in this job you are going to be killing people

We had a captain that used to pilot the Mq9 and this is what he told us basically

>>how's it going everyone I'm captain anon I piloted the mq9 and have about 4000 hours of flight time on the platform, how are you guys feeling about this job? I'm not going to bullshit you guys you are all about 6 months away from taking another humans life... There's no real other way to say it. You need to be ready for it, whether you are a Christian or Buddhist or whatever you believe in you need to find a way to justify the means, me being a Christian I just had to come to terms with the fact that the people we are killing are the bad guys. But it's not going to be that easy, you are going to get attached to these people and develop feelings for them. (Students laugh) everyone always laughs when I say that but you are going to watch these people. You're going to watch them for months and months at a time you're going to see them come home from work, you're going to see their family come over on the weekend for dinner, you're going to see them take their kids to school, you're going to see them play with their kids, you're going to see them kiss their wife and their kids goodbye before they leave in the morning... And then you are going to kill them, and you are going to see their kids run out and pickup the pieces of their dad and burry him.

That's all of what I can remember
>>
>>37957400

Jesus Christ, man... How are you feeling about all of it?
>>
>>37956459
>>37957400

Comment was too long

But yea it just depends on how you can cope with the fact that you are basically playing god and killing people on the other half of the globe with the click of a button

I don't know how I'm going to take it, I'm trying to prepare myself mentally as much as I can. I'm not a religious person and I know the people we are killing deserve it but we will have to see what happens when I get to Nellis in 5 months

So I guess the movie would be accurate if you are a type of person who can't justify to yourself that what you are doing is good

Now I didn't watch the entire movie like I said I fell asleep but I do know this career field had a lot of suicides in it in the last few years

And the PTSD is a real thing but like someone said earlier in this thread people will basically laugh at you if you claim you are mentally fucked when you are pretty much just "playing a video game"

But nobody can talk shit unless they've done the job

All in all I'm excited and this was my number 1 job choice on my list of 10 before I left for BMT
>>
>Reason I ask is, I plan on taking full advantage of my term there in regards to school, trade, and fitness.

I've talked to quite a few old timers who were prior E8's and E9's and they hate you guys, 100%. They say you guys are the worst.

I don't get it, tbqh.
>>
http://www.wiu.edu/coehs/military_science/physical_training/APFT%20Standards.htm

Be able to do everything listed here well. You're also going to be doing long ass ruck marches, sometimes in full gear, so you might wanna find a way to train for that. Don't be a big ol' fucking bitch in basic, either. Don't draw any unnecessary attention to yourself, and you sure as FUCK don't want to get in trouble and get everyone else smoked for your fuck up.

That being said, basic is more than a physical thing. It's a mental thing too. It's the job of every single person telling you what to do to turn you into a soldier first. It doesn't matter what your MOS is going to be. Infantry, artillery, engineer, psych ops or a fucking cook. You are a SOLDIER first, and whatever the fuck you go to AIT for second.

So they're going to break your ass down to the floor and build you back up again. It's going to fucking suck. You're going to sweat. You're going to hurt. You're probably going to think you can't do it on more than one occasion, but every single motherfucker in the Army has gone through the same shit you have, and they made it out.
>>
>>37957472
>>37957477
>>
>>37957491
Culture divide m8. Those guys are career military. They'll retire when they can barely get out of bed, and think anyone there to do anything less is wasting everyone else's time and going to get someone killed.
>>
>>37957547

I'm really wanting to get my degree while i'm in the service. How much flexability do you have with that job to work on school?

What are your career goals and how does your job as a dronebro play into that?
>>
>>37957477
Good luck man... I've had a few friends come back from the sandbox different people. My step dad was almost killed by an RPG. Lucky there was someone paying attention because they pulled his ass behind a heavy ass steel door and all he got was a concussion and blown out ear drums.

Hope you make it through alright.
>>
>>37957572

Also, whats the MOS?
>>
>>37954238
t. watched Blindspot
>>
>>37957572
>>37957645
For this job you would have a fuckload of free time this is the only job I've heard of that doesn't have CDC's (basically in any other job you take tests to rank up in the career field) but for is its just total flight hours so you basically just wake up go to work come home and you're free, I havnt started the job itself yet I have 5 more months of training in New Mexico but I'm fairly sure there will be a shit ton of down time on my days off

As for overall career goals I don't know yet, I'm just glad I joined I was working at Abercrombie and Fitch making maybe 200$ living off protein bars and fast food mainly, now I'm living on my own making more money than I ever have and get a free gym membership, free schooling, free medical, free housing it's awesome so far

I don't know if I'm going to stay in for 20 and retire or just do 6 years and get out, a lot of the instructors were saying we can do this job in the civilian world for private companies and make over 180k a year doing 3 month deploying, 3 months at home time off, 3 months deploying, 3 months at home off so I'm just going to try and stack my RPA (drone) resume as much as I can while I'm in and try and land one of those contracting jobs when I get out

I can definitely say joining the airforce was the best decision I've made so far in my life, sitting on the ground right now at the San Antonio airport waiting for my flight to take me home so I can see my dog and family before I drive my car to New Mexico next week and before joining I had never even left Washington state before or been on an airplane

the AFSC (think it's the same thing as MOS like the job code) is 1U0X1 actual name is RPA Sensor Operator >>37957589
Thanks mate
>>
>>37957788

What's the pay looking like? How much was your bonus(if you got one)?
>>
>>37957899
No signing bonus

Pay in military depends on rank so I make the exact same amount as any other e3

Except I get flight pay (even though I don't actually fly lol)

Extra 150$ a month

So I'm making

1,997$ a month before taxes

Also every 2 years you are in the military you get a raise I don't know how much it is

But yea even what I'm making right now is moooore than enough for a 20 year old

You gotta remember you don't have to pay for housing/food/gym membership

It's all pretty much pocketable

The military dining facility's are actually fucking amazing, at least on Air Force bases. The food is always great and it's definitely bodybuilder friendly good ass macros and always have fruit and veggies
>>
>>37952067
I've consider enlisting and even took the test but what's a good branch and what's the different between branches of the military?
>>
>>37957941

I've just been doing research on my own, man. I honestly don't even know myself. I'm thinking airforce for me now that i've gotten the info i have today just because i want to focus more on getting my degree.

It really just depends on what you want to do in life.

I'm about to be 28 so I'm focused on getting into a field that will transfer over well into the civ world when my four years are up.
>>
>>37957938
Air force treats you well. I tried to join when I graduated from HS, but I was too fat. 214@6'1''.

Save your fukken money, though. There's so many fucking Airmen/AFCs that blow their fucking wad every month because they can.

You're right, you've got a lot of fucking disposable income because you don't have to pay for most day to day expenses. Be smart about it, and you can come out of this in a realllyyy good place financially.

I'm MOSTLY not talking out of my ass. I'm from a military family, so I've been around enlisted people pretty much my whole life.
>>
>>37957995
Yea I hear you man a lot of my friends are fucking blowing their cash and trying to buy new cars and shit

I got my 97 hatchback civic going strong haha

Definitely saving my money
>>
>>37957938
>2 year raise

Guy who was interested in Civil Affairs before, that's just time in service
>>
>>37954127
You're not bombing anything, you're operating the cameras on the drone until some Officer sees something worth bombing and someone bigger than him tells him to press the switch.

They did recently say they're opening up drone pilot to Enlisted, but we'll see how they actually integrate that.

Literal chairforce here as I'm Intel. 12 hour days in a chair, 3-4 day weeks, but at least I get an hour during shift to go work out if it isn't busy, the job is piss easy if boring, and the 3-4 day weekends. Going up to E-5 in a couple weeks as I hit my 4 year mark.

For gods sake OP and whoever else is in, start dropping as much as you can into your TSP (Roth) ASAP. Wasted so much time not doing it, just letting money sit there and do nothing for me. And pursue your education as much as you can. Pretty much all of it will get paid for.
>>
>>37952376
>just got out of basic Friday
>entire army is shit
You're still shitting the meal you ate the night of arrival dipshit. Give it some time and find real leaders, emulate them and inspire others to be better. You'll probably get HYT as an E-3 anyway lol. To answer OP's question, there are gyms on military bases and they are packed to fuck. Find someone to lift with so you guys can baby sit your equipment so nobody can swoop in and start using it and being fags about working in. If you can get on 2nd or 3rd shift for whatever reason (as a med tech, probably not) then you'll have an easy time lifting but you'll hate life. I've been in the navy for longer than this retard anon has been thinking about the military, don't let the whole crabs in a bucket mentality make you some shit head like he's succumbed to.
>>
>>37952067
68W Here, during my AIT I had tons of time to go work out. The first couple of weeks will probably be too busy, but qfter that we generally got released around dinner time. The diet is something thats hard to match civilian sector too. Its calorie sense as fuck. If that doesn't suit you then you can get your own food. I had a baracks, but had an opportunity to grill outside frequently and we would tear through some chicken breast. All in all, you're in a killer position for brain and gain. I imagine you'll be going to Ft. Sam, if so, the gym out there is great.
>>
>>37953643
Tell me how hard life is, having someone else telling you what to do at all times you bumbling fucking drone.
>>
>>37960397

San antonio right? that's where the AIT is i believe.

Thanks for the answer. There was a lot of misinformation in here, I could sense it. Jst from the research I've done on the MO, I kind of had an idea in my head and your comment validated it for me, so thanks.
>>
>>37952098
2-124?
>>
>>37954002
Navy or green side? Word from my boys in Darwin says Aussie navy is lit compared to greatest navy
>>
>>37957477
>and I know the people we are killing deserve it

That's the thing you drone-flying pussy. Did you know 20% of the drone deaths in Pakistan were civilians? What if you had a 1 in 5 chance of killing someone who had no bigger wish than being a farmer and loving their wife because somebody in the brass said that man is living in an area where other bad men are from?
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.