[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rock Climbing and Lifting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
File: dsc_1015_2.jpg (3 MB, 3320x2592) Image search: [Google]
dsc_1015_2.jpg
3 MB, 3320x2592
New to lifting, decent at climbing. How do I balance lifting with climbing? Is it okay to climb during lifting offdays?

I don't want to pay 70 bucks for a gym membership if I can't get the most out of both.
>>
>>37934999
While climbing is a great sport, it doesn't really pair well with lifting
think, how many climber have you seen that look even close to being huge, they're strong as hell, but also, crucially, don't weigh a lot, you won't find a professional climber that weighs more than 160lbs
I used to climb for 4 years, was pretty good at it too, but eventually got into lifting and left climbing behind, now whenever I try to climb, I find it extremely difficult, since I've gaind about 20 pounds
Choose one that you enjoy more, you can pair climbing with callisthenics and will see very nice results, since both rely on mastering your own body weight
>>
>>37935075
fpbp
>>
>>37935075
That's a good point. I wanted to use lifting to build strength faster than I would by just climbing, but I hadn't considered that body weight exercises might be a better fit.

Thanks for the advice climbanon, I'll do some research
>>
File: Shauna-Coxsey.jpg (148 KB, 682x1024) Image search: [Google]
Shauna-Coxsey.jpg
148 KB, 682x1024
Post your boulderfu
>>
>>37934999
As someone mentioned higher up, lifting for mass and strength is cool and all but it doesn't pair very well with climbing.

If anything, continue to climb. Work on pull-ups and other exercises that target your lats/rhomboids. Buy one of those pull-up bars that you can set-up with your door frames at home. I bought one for $35 and it works fine.

Also, grip strength. Get some grip trainers at your local sports store. Good ones can run for $40+. Cheap ones are easily around $20.

You don't really need to buy a gym membership.
>>
>>37934999

Climbing and lifting don't pair well because climbing is all about power to weight. If you want to lift, you're better off training your opposing muscles to avoid injury in climbing.
>>
File: 1427061432807.jpg (1 MB, 1900x1500) Image search: [Google]
1427061432807.jpg
1 MB, 1900x1500
>>37935506

Did somebody say grip strength?
>>
>>37935558
pretty much this. You can get swole climbing, but you'll never find your natty limits with it
>>
>>37935558
>>37934999

Also if you really want to get strong at climbing you should consider periodizing your training. Until I shattered one of my metatarsals I was doing 4-3-2-1 training and went from flashing 5.11 to consistently flashing 5.12s and redpointing 5.13s within a few cycles.
>>
File: 20160715_162635.png (2 MB, 2486x1161) Image search: [Google]
20160715_162635.png
2 MB, 2486x1161
>>37935300
Anna Liina Laitinen
>>
File: ClSaZNHUgAI_t0O.jpg (137 KB, 750x960) Image search: [Google]
ClSaZNHUgAI_t0O.jpg
137 KB, 750x960
>>37935300

> bouldering
> climbing things that aren't offwidths
>>
>>37935075
Never been particularly serious about the sport myself on account of being absolutely shit, but most of the climbers I've known (and there've been a lot) are deceptively strong, betraying their skeletal appearance. I concede though that it lends itself more to endurance vs. explosive strength; last time I went bouldering I could barely move for the next couple of days, and I usually lift 6 days a week (had to have a few days off then though, jesus christ.) I don't think you could throw yourself fully into both without half-arsing one.

>>37935300
I used to climb with my dad at awesome walls years ago (grandma alert) and I remember the first time I saw her set up to climb the back wall. She must've been about 8 or 9 years old at the time and I was like dad, have you seen that kid over there? Is she okay? Where are her parents? And she just scaled it in minutes like it was fucking nothing. Her dad always belayed her with this permanent shit eating grin on his face. I don't blame him one bit, I hear she's doing quite well these days :^)
>>
but look at this iranian guy - he's huge
you can't tell me he's not doing any kind of lifting..
https://youtu.be/QXMbmT5a5_A?t=1171
>>
>>37935656
>SUOMI
>MAINITTU
>ULAN BATORILLA TAVATAAN
>>
>>37935626
Can you go into details with this or give me a link? I'm curious
>>
>>37936210
What the hell does that shit mean, faggot? I'm not from Finland, I just think she's hot
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.